For those who might not understand how to do it, just wanted to post this guide here too.
What you need:
1) HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml file. I have attached one below which you can use, or alternatively you can copy the one from the your /windows folder.
2) If you don't have the version which is already patched then you will need the N2A patched file attached below as well.
Here are the steps:
1) Open HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml using Notepad.
2) You will see many cities listed like this:
<city name="Anchorage, US" loca="NAM|US|AK|ANCHORAGE " land="United States " /> (original)
<city name="Ketchikan, AK" loca="NAM|US|AK|KETCHIKAN" land="United States" /> (copied and edited)
Simply copy one of the cities from your country, or state and then edit the city information. You will notice in the example above i have changed "Anchorage, US" to "Ketchikan, AK" as this is just what will display on the screen. The section marked loca=con"CONTINENT|COUNTRY|STATE|CITY" must be typed in correctly or else you will not get any data.
3) Repeate step 2 for as many cities as you would like to add.
4) Disable touchflo on the today screen
5) Copy Manila2D.exe (if you are not using the version already patched), and your newly edited HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml file to the /windows folder.
6) Enable touchflo on the today screen again.
7) Go to weather and add new city, the new cities should be available to you. I would remove any old cities you had before as well.
Weather won't download via edge or 3g:
For those of you still having problems with the weather plug-in here is another thing I did to fix it:
1. Go to Settings - Connections - Connections - Advanced - Select Networks - Edit (MEdia Net) - Proxy Settings -> UNCHECK BOTH OPTIONS
2. Soft Reset
It should work fine
Scotchua, nice tutorial. I've been using several of your fixes since I discovered them. However, the one note missing from your Manila2D Weather Custom Cities tutoria is how to determine the loca="NAM|US|AK|KETCHIKAN".
I have the solution! For most US locations, you can use the 5-digit ZIP code, but to determine ANY location, including outside the US, use this link to AccuWeather's RSS.
Simply put in your location as instructed in the 'Choose a location' field and click 'Set'. (For this example, I used Whistler, Canada.) The page then generates a URL for you, which looks like accuweather.com/rss/liveweather_rss.asp?metric=0&locCode=NAM|CA|BC|WHISTLER. The piece after locCode= (which I've hilited in Red) is what goes in the loca="" field in the XML file.
Then complete your tutorial, and choose the custom cities! Hope this helps someone else looking to make a quick fix.
Here is what I did to fix my the darn weather problem using my AT&T Tilt through MediaNet.
1. Make a copy of the HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml in the Windows folder.
2. Modify the file to include your info. (for me the zip code worked). See the examples below:
<city name="Idaho Falls, ID" loca="83406" land="United States"/> <city name="Idaho Falls, ID, US" loca="NAM|US|ID|IDAHO-FALLS" land="United States"/>
4. Disable TouchFlo in your Today Screen settings
5. Using TotalCommander overwrite the HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml file in the Windows folder
6. Go to Settings, Connections tab, Connections program and select the "Manage existing connections" option.
7. Click the Proxy Settings tab and uncheck the "This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet" option.
8. Click the OK at the top left.
9. Once again, select the "Manage existing connections" option.
10. Click the "Edit..." button for your MediaNet or ISP connection
11. Click Next, Next
12. Click the "Advanced..." button
13. Click the Servers tab at the bottom
14. Click "Use specific server address" and enter the two following addresses for DNS and Alt DNS:
15. Click OK at the top, then Finish at the bottom, click OK again at the top, then OK again.
16. Reenable TouchFlo in your Today options
17. Go to the Weather Tab and Add your city
I have tested the solution on are Garmin's ROMs, but it should solve proxy server issues and DNS issues relating to AT&T's seriously out of date default DNS servers (the proxy server uses an up to date DNS server).
The above DNS servers are from OpenDNS www.opendns.com
Please post and/or PM me if this solution works for you. I've been frustrated at the lack of working weather for my area, so this is the crazy solution I came up with!