FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Adobe STOPS further development for Mobile browsers! Only HTML 5 from now on...

5,506 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,948

By ithehappy, Senior Member on 9th November 2011, 08:55 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
I don't like it.
Damn...

Source:
http://blog.gsmarena.com/adobe-stops...uses-on-html5/

What bad is it gonna effect our GSII?

9th November 2011, 09:38 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithehappy

What bad is it gonna effect our GSII?

Bad? Nothing. We still have flash, it's not going away. This is a good thing, flash sucks and it's good that it's being replaced by html5.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
9th November 2011, 10:09 AM |#3  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 39

More
That's a good thing - all we need is HTML5 .
9th November 2011, 10:31 AM |#4  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 241

More
This is BS. Don't get me wrong, I hate flash, and I know HTML5 is much better. Now try and convince the content providers. They'll be hanging onto their DRM-capable flash if only to restrict content to desktops without paying extra to view on mobile (unless of course you're using my flash hack to make your phone think its a desktop )

Seriously Adobe, Google has just finally turned honeycomb into a "finished product" with ICS and now just as things are getting going you're going to pull the plug? For better or worse, flash is easily one of the best features of android. Someone over at Adobe needs to quit huffing gasoline...
9th November 2011, 10:31 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Adobe is stopping mobile developement only. Desktop browser will still have flash videos.
The whole point of having flash on mobile is to be as close as possible to a desktop experience. If this is true, you will not be able to watch videos on sites that did not convert to html5

I think this is really a bad news for sgs2 users. With ics coming in 2012, we may not have flash support anymore
9th November 2011, 01:10 PM |#6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 20

More
In the grand scheme of things, this will have a negligible effect for the end-user and really just shifts the onus on the browser providers to ensure they keep up to HTML5 etc standard.

I'm sure Adobe et al. will be migrating/developing content to help push HTML5 forward as it is moving at a snails pace. This is a good thing for all.
9th November 2011, 01:37 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
=\ shyt

Sent From In between Your Moms Boobies
9th November 2011, 02:47 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Bout damn time flash was abandoned as the Gold standard. Even on a PC its a resource hungry POS.
9th November 2011, 02:50 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
Hi, I have foun this comment on Engadgets article, might be helpfull:

OverDriven 15 minutes ago
To all the little nooblets on Engadget (which appears to be 99% of you, judging from the comments), this simply means that they will no longer focus on displaying Flash IN THE BROWSER. AIR stands for Adobe Integrated Runtime, and it is a Flash runtime environment. In other words, it's purpose is to run Flash applications on the desktop (or as an app). Adobe simply is moving from primarily in-browser to primarily out-of-browser, which is a step up for them. Running Flash apps in a browser on a smart phone never made any sense at all in the first place. It's main use in browser is for video, and HTML5 can take care of that. "Laying down their sword", as Engadget refers to it, is not at all what they're doing. They're making a strategic move to increase their presence on mobile devices via AIR.

Also (and I get tired of saying this), if you are "anti-flash" then you're undoubtedly uneducated on the ins and outs of HTML5 and Flash. They are different tools for different jobs. Do us all a favor and educate yourself before you decide to log on to the next tech blog and act like you know what you're talking about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FutureClimax For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FutureClimax Ad-Free
9th November 2011, 03:09 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureClimax

Hi, I have foun this comment on Engadgets article, might be helpfull:

OverDriven 15 minutes ago
To all the little nooblets on Engadget (which appears to be 99% of you, judging from the comments), this simply means that they will no longer focus on displaying Flash IN THE BROWSER. AIR stands for Adobe Integrated Runtime, and it is a Flash runtime environment. In other words, it's purpose is to run Flash applications on the desktop (or as an app). Adobe simply is moving from primarily in-browser to primarily out-of-browser, which is a step up for them. Running Flash apps in a browser on a smart phone never made any sense at all in the first place. It's main use in browser is for video, and HTML5 can take care of that. "Laying down their sword", as Engadget refers to it, is not at all what they're doing. They're making a strategic move to increase their presence on mobile devices via AIR.

Also (and I get tired of saying this), if you are "anti-flash" then you're undoubtedly uneducated on the ins and outs of HTML5 and Flash. They are different tools for different jobs. Do us all a favor and educate yourself before you decide to log on to the next tech blog and act like you know what you're talking about.

While I agree with your take on what Adobe is doing. It doesn't take a tech educated person to see CPU/Memory load while using flash on either Desktop or Mobile, is far more inflated than while using HTML5
9th November 2011, 03:17 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
The full post is from him.
Comment about "non educated" belongs to him as well.
Just to clear ;)

I agree that flash is resource hungry but it looks like its gonna changed little bit. I personally don't use flash on mobile at all.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread