Kindle Fire Update

Search This thread

ck_looi

Dec 13, 2008
I haven't tried as my fire is installed with CM7 already.

Just my suggestion, rest well as i don't think it will brick ur kindle fire. It is just a matter of can or can't to get temp root. If temproot can work, theoretically, i believe it can be restore back to 6.2.

rad3

Dec 5, 2011
I have update servers blocked in hosts, I still have not updated. I have spent a lot of time on wifi and even rebooted to see if it would install on boot. Think I'm going to go ahead and rename otasilentinstall just to be sure. But so far so good on hosts redirection.

I had done the same with my hosts file, but was only on wifi for about an hour yesterday when I saw that the update was on it's way and immediately turned wifi off. No update came through. Still haven't turned it back on.

Went in a renamed OTASilentInstall late last night, so I am just contemplating turning it back on. Hoping I'm catching it with one of these 2 methods. I'll try it today and see...

devilot

Sep 11, 2008
Wetumpka
Something to note: A buddy of mine at the office received his KF yesterday morning and promptly connected it to WiFi. He received the 6.2 update within a few minutes. However, he has had it connected since, with no interruptions, and he still hasn't received the 6.2.1 update. Just to clarify, this is a completely stock, unrooted KF.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

kingsway8605

Apr 26, 2010
This is such a bad move by Amazon. They have to realize people will find another way to root, this just irritates people.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

asb2164

Feb 7, 2011
This is such a bad move by Amazon. They have to realize people will find another way to root, this just irritates people.

Call Amazon crazy but in their quest to turn a profit the Kindle Fire was sold at a loss hoping that you would purchase content from them.

AndrewTL

Nov 23, 2011
Is it possible to load older firmware sets?

Do you >really< believe they sold it at a loss?
There are similar tablets on the market in china for $50 with more features.
They are selling it at best buy and walmart.
Do you really think that best buy and walmart don't have markups of at least 40%?
I'm truly surprised either retailer is even willing to sell the darn things.

That said.. what happens if you take an older update file and just put it into the kindleupdates folder? Will the tablet load older firmware sets?

Hellcat6

Dec 3, 2011
Canton, OH
So was this the big update from Amazon or just a little teaser and the real update is still to come? Doesn't seem like Amazon has anything to say about 6.2.1 so maybe there is another to come? Didn't do anything about the carousel and that was a big complaint.

My KF always seems to lose the WiFi signal when it goes to sleep and has to find it again. Pretty sure mine was asleep the entire night and day yesterday but I still got the update. My own stupid fault for not turning it off completely but surprised it got through. As of now, I was able to do what I wanted prior to the update and besides the loss of the Market am OK with the device as it is. Of course the future is blocked now but hoping some of the smart guys work a fix soon.

Have 2 under the Christmas tree right now for the kids, wonder if one of them would do a trade for my "old" KF?

borborpa

Jan 28, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Amazon didn't do this update to break root and piss off the rooted users, it fixed security holes. Is it annoying, yes, but this is NOT a fully open Android tablet and was never advertised as such. Buying it to use for another purpose and then complaining when an update meant for 99.9% of users breaks something is a bit odd. They will get root again soon I'm sure.

Sent from my Gingervolt-ed VS910 4G using xda premium

skalogre

Dec 14, 2011
Do you >really< believe they sold it at a loss?
There are similar tablets on the market in china for $50 with more features.
They are selling it at best buy and walmart.
Do you really think that best buy and walmart don't have markups of at least 40%?
I'm truly surprised either retailer is even willing to sell the darn things.

That said.. what happens if you take an older update file and just put it into the kindleupdates folder? Will the tablet load older firmware sets?

The build quality and hardware specifications of the KF are much much higher than most OEM-no-brand tablets. And yes, it has been widely reported by analysts that the KF cost to manufacture is indeed more than the sale price.

pcmag. com/article2/0,2817,2396639,00.asp

jolars

Nov 17, 2011
If you look at the number of people in this forum who are having issues after rooting and making mistakes and then returning the devices... I think there is a reason for Amazon to make rooting more difficult (it is costing them money).

In regards to the device being sold at a loss: With the production scale of this device, I would say that the manufacturing cost analysis is probably incorrect. You get a much better price on parts when you order (4 million, 5 million?) of them.

Last edited:

PR0XIDIAN

Dec 20, 2011
Colorado Springs
Christmas Fire

I know for a fact that I got a KF for Christmas this year. I've been researching getting root for weeks now, but only because I want the Google Market on the stock launcher. (I have CM7 on my crappy phone, but I'm not adventurous enough to put it on my first tablet yet). Anyways point being, whether or not it is on 6.2 or 6.21 when I get it, I'd be more than willing to let a more experienced user try and find new root solutions over team-viewer.

So here is to hoping that my KF comes in the mail on a still root-able version! :D

kingsway8605

Apr 26, 2010
Call Amazon crazy but in their quest to turn a profit the Kindle Fire was sold at a loss hoping that you would purchase content from them.

That isn't what I am saying. Amazon has to realize that people will just find another way to root. This is just going to aggravate their most vocal consumers. Amazon doesn't get anything in return, this isn't going to stop rooting is what I am saying, it is just going to agravate people.

Reactions: chezzorilla

asb2164

Feb 7, 2011
That isn't what I am saying. Amazon has to realize that people will just find another way to root. This is just going to aggravate their most vocal consumers. Amazon doesn't get anything in return, this isn't going to stop rooting is what I am saying, it is just going to agravate people.

Install CM7 = Problem solved

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Cant reroot after the update. SuperOneClick reoprts an error at the end :-(

Yes this has been reported and you will just have to wait until it is re-rooted

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
Install CM7 = Problem solved
Seriously, if you want to stay on stock, for the moment, it's going to keep happening. If you don't want it to happen, develop your own custom stock rom that doesn't update. If you can't figure out how to root without superoneclick, maybe it's time to wait for the developers to figure it ALL out.
I want to root my kindle one day but I am waiting till it is all sorted out with a working recovery and a couple of working roms, including a modded stock. Till then, I am happy with my kindle. I am not a programmer or developer and the risk of bricking the thing is too high. I don't think it's ethical to return a device that you broke warranty on by rooting.

Anyway, I am not rooted and I have not gotten this updated. I am all charged up, have clicked sync. Nothing.

turtlebits

Nov 17, 2011
Can somebody adb shell and see if the command "idme bootmode 0x4002" gets you into fastboot?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Yup, works fine. You don't need root to get into fastboot.

I don't get why people are complaining about Official updates breaking root. If you don't want unexpected things to happen, either disable update or flash another rom.

That said, 6.2.1 is much better than 6.2.

asb2164

Feb 7, 2011
Seriously, if you want to stay on stock, for the moment, it's going to keep happening. If you don't want it to happen, develop your own custom stock rom that doesn't update. If you can't figure out how to root without superoneclick, maybe it's time to wait for the developers to figure it ALL out.
I want to root my kindle one day but I am waiting till it is all sorted out with a working recovery and a couple of working roms, including a modded stock. Till then, I am happy with my kindle. I am not a programmer or developer and the risk of bricking the thing is too high. I don't think it's ethical to return a device that you broke warranty on by rooting.

Anyway, I am not rooted and I have not gotten this updated. I am all charged up, have clicked sync. Nothing.

CM7 is working great everything works we do have a recovery that works great I can use the Amazon app store just fine the Kindle app works just like it does on the stock Fire you can sideload books not purchased from Amazon.
I have had a few apps freeze up but that happened with the stock fire too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nope, it is grayed out.

You can sideload it by downloading it and placing it in the kindleupdates folder on your Kindle via a PC or downloading it to your Kindle and using a filemanager to move it into the folder. Link below:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-6.2.1_D01E_3103920.bin
    Amazon didn't do this update to break root and piss off the rooted users, it fixed security holes. Is it annoying, yes, but this is NOT a fully open Android tablet and was never advertised as such. Buying it to use for another purpose and then complaining when an update meant for 99.9% of users breaks something is a bit odd. They will get root again soon I'm sure.

Sent from my Gingervolt-ed VS910 4G using xda premium
    Excellent. Now that I have TWRP installed, can you point me at a place I can learn how to actually use it? SOme of the threads I've read assume I have a certain level of experience with this, and while I AM a quick learner. I think my first go-through will require a bit of hand-holding.

Basically I'd like to learn how to use TWRP to make the backup I am supposed to be making, and then load the file I am supposed to be loading. I expect I'll have to catch on quickly for the 6.3 update or whatever else amazon does to lock me out but for now I'd love the assist :)

Real basic...

o reboot the device.
    o when the Triangle pops up, press the power button once or twice until it turns orange. Then leave it alone.
    o when TWRP comes up, you will have a menu.
    o On the Menu, select backup..
    o On the backup screen, use the defaults (System, Data, boot, enable compression)... press Backup Now.

When the backup is done, it is done.

You can then go back to the main menu and use reboot and then System to get back to the KF system.

Loading an image is typically...

o Place the image you were told to load onto the /sdcard area
    o Boot into the Recovery like before
    o Select Load which will give you a menu of what it finds.
    o Select the image.
    o Wipe depends on what you are doing, normally the instructions will say.
    o do it...

Getting back after the reboot would be the same.
    It's a damned good thing Amazon is closing the "root" hole. I personally thought it was ridiculous my out off the box tablet was totally insecure and I couldn't trust it with my email.

I don't think it should be so easy to root. Does no one else think that was an issue? I've been turning adb off to keep my device safer in case I leave it somewhere.

You'd think a forum full of mostly tech savvy users would understand the security gaff that is shipping a device with a known flaw. Do you all install OS updates regularly?

Yes there's always going too be a way to get at the data unless it's encrypted. I for one am glad it is harder. Now hopefully we'll see an ics port soon so I can really encrypt this thing.

PS, it's fairly easy to force downgrade firmware installs by renaming an update file. Get the software you need then stop worrying about maintaining root. Enjoy the cheap tablet. if you need to tinker all day load an alternative ROM or buy an alternative tablet. This one is for email, Web browsing, reading, and shopping (it's a **** poor media player).

Thanks Amazon. Do love the device.

There are two solutions for your problem.

1. Don't leave your device anywhere (obviously)
    2. Get an app which you can controll the device from your PC (e.g. Lookout pro), using such an app, will allow you to erase all data from the device while on your pc.

You argument is invalid. Rooting should be easy. Android is open source. If want a hard to root device, get a friggin iPhone / iPad and try to jailbreak it. Android is open source and source should be open.
    @featurecreature make sure you don't connect it to wifi before you root - after root either freeze, rename or delete OTASilentInstall.apk