[APP][2.3+][NFC][BETA] InstaWifi -- NFC and QR Code WiFi App

Search This thread

discokrueger

Mar 20, 2010
On my GNex it doesn’t work with a hidden SSID (using QR-Code).
Will test it with NFC tomorrow, when I have a tag.

Joe_PDA

Jul 1, 2003
Great idea. I'm going to try this app out on my new Samsung Relay. Its always a problem having to give access to friends devices
and this app seems to solve that problem.

ProfEngr

Aug 25, 2009
So, I should probably set up Guest wifi access on my router since this has the password embedded. Once the credentials are on the person's phone could they then go into their settings and unhide the code/

D

Deleted member 2312533

deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

meltedxice

Jun 6, 2010
So, I should probably set up Guest wifi access on my router since this has the password embedded. Once the credentials are on the person's phone could they then go into their settings and unhide the code/

AFAIK, you can't access the password credentials through normal means. Either you have to plug in your phone into a computer and have USB Debugging enabled to dig into the wifi config file of the device, or you need root on your phone so an app can find it for you.

I believe this is only possible with root using a special app.

Edit: does this work with all barcode scanners or just the one from ZXing? Is there a way to make it work with iphones?

Just the one from ZXing since there app is the only one that adopts the wifi protocol for QR codes. I believe iPhones can scan it and they can see the plaintext password and security type, but there isn't a way to have it automatically connect to a wifi network like InstaWifi due to Apple's limitations of their platform (apps can't manage/control wifi networks unless you jailbreak).

D

Deleted member 2312533

deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

oduhart

Aug 11, 2010
Lille
@meltedxice ,

how did you manage, to get wifi key ? what API did you use ? I wrote an app to backup my wifi settings but the only way that I found was to
remount /system RW and then copy the wpasupplicant.conf to sdcard. The problem with this solution is that it requires root access. AFAIK your app does not require root ? am I wrong ?

So can you enlighten me on the way you get WEP keys without ?

thanks

Olivier

ariser

Sep 6, 2012
SFO
By the way, is NFC must be supported under the device Settings?
For my device does not have this option. And I'm still using gingerbread:silly:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT:

Download link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.jessechen.instawifi

This was the old thread when I was beta testing my app. You can actually check out the new thread to download the app and leave feedback! No need to apply or request beta, the app is already out now. Thanks for checking it out!

======================================================================================================

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for people to beta test my app before I release it to the market. InstaWifi is an Android app that uses NFC and QR codes to connect to your wifi networks instantly. Watch the video below for a more in-depth overview of what it does. If it sounds interesting, please apply to be a beta tester so I can fix any bugs and receive feedback before launching.

Beta testers will receive a free NFC sticker for them to keep!

Link to the app on the Play Store

Please follow through to the YouTube video to find links to screenshots and the beta tester applications.

Video Overview

Beta testing has ended!
    This may be a stupid question, but could someone with an iOS device have this work by scanning the QR code? I have an Android phone (Nexus S), but most of my friends have iPhones. If not, I'd still like to help test using just my own phone.

Hey jmoten88, thats a good question. I followed the QR code format here as specified by zxing. As far as I know this is only supported in the Barcode Scanner app by Zxing. Now, if there is an app on iPhone that follows this format to connect to WiFi, assuming that the WiFi API is similar on iOS, then yes, the QR codes generated by InstaWifi would work on iPhones. However, I think there is no app that does that as of now.