[TOOL][4.4+][UPDATE V2] Switch D2A_RT - Switch between runtimes easily from Recovery

Do you want Wipe Dalvik Cache Option in the AROMA Tool?

• Total voters
Search This thread

T0nyCr

Sep 5, 2013
San Jose
ART is feature of Android 4.4.x. It doesn't matter wheather it is stock or custom ROM.

It should work. Do you have "libart.so" & "libart-compiler.so" in /system/lib? If they are there, that is not removed by OEM,
Then it must work.
I have Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300), with 4.3 stock rom. I was looking those file on my /system/lib/ but I don't have it. I know there is CM11 rom from my device. If I just pull out libart* files from this CM11.zip rom and then put it in my stock rom, your mod could work?

Last edited:
I have Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300), with 4.3 stock rom. I was looking those file on my /system/lib/ but I don't have it. I know there is CM11 rom from my device. If I just pull out libart* files from this CM11.zip rom and then put it in my stock rom, your mod could work?

No man, it doesn't work in such a way.
ART works only with Android 4.4 and higher. So your idea won't work. ;)

Reactions: T0nyCr

Albert.Rr

May 17, 2014
Android Land
sry the stupid question does this work on any android device ? im using an sg s3 i9300 touchwiz ui android 4.4.2 ported from note 2

sry the stupid question does this work on any android device ? im using an sg s3 i9300 touchwiz ui android 4.4.2 ported from note 2

No problem. This is NOT stupid question. It is a genuine question.

Coming to point, this technically works on all Android 4.4.x. So you can try. ART is present in all Android 4.4.x Kitkat builds, so this will work.
If you have any other question, feel free to ask.

Press Thanks if helped.

Sent from my GT-I9001 Gadget of Mass Destruction with CM11 using XDA Developers App.

Reactions: Albert.Rr

Mostafa Wael

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 11, 2013
Gotham
No problem. This is NOT stupid question. It is a genuine question.

Coming to point, this technically works on all Android 4.4.x. So you can try. ART is present in all Android 4.4.x Kitkat builds, so this will work.
If you have any other question, feel free to ask.

Press Thanks if helped.

Sent from my GT-I9001 Gadget of Mass Destruction with CM11 using XDA Developers App.

okay i had this question before and asked Kryten2k35 "one of the contributors to this awesome project"
and he said that this option is only present with the newer Touchwiz ROMs "for instance the galaxy s5"
and said that since the option to switch to ART is not present in the ROM, then it is not possible to switch to ART on ArchiPort
and he tried to put some files and tried to bring this option in ArchiPort but with no success
So i think that is a Clear "No" to your question
hope i helped you

Quote by @Kryten2k35
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53931510&postcount=2703

okay i had this question before and asked Kryten2k35 "one of the contributors to this awesome project"
and he said that this option is only present with the newer Touchwiz ROMs "for instance the galaxy s5"
and said that since the option to switch to ART is not present in the ROM, then it is not possible to switch to ART on ArchiPort
and he tried to put some files and tried to bring this option in ArchiPort but with no success
So i think that is a Clear "No" to your question
hope i helped you

Quote by @Kryten2k35
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53931510&postcount=2703

This depends on device. You are talking about some specific Samsung device. Generally Most Kitkat ROMs support ART.

By the way, why are you quoting me? If you are giving answer about SGS3, then quote the person above me (Albert.Rr). I am not asking any question. LOL :D

Mostafa Wael

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 11, 2013
Gotham
This depends on device. You are talking about some specific Samsung device. Generally Most Kitkat ROMs support ART.

By the way, why are you quoting me? If you are giving answer about SGS3, then quote the person above me (Albert.Rr). I am not asking any question. LOL :D

sorry wrong quote :D

Perry2547

Sep 25, 2013
Hey! Your work is great! I flashed this and switched over and it works like a charm.

I am on the LG Optimus G Pro. Running 4.4.2 stock and the rom didn't have the option in dev settings to switch over to ART. You made it very easy.

lordlambda

Aug 22, 2013
Tried it on the oneplus one. Stuck in "switching runtime" screen. What should i do?

Update: shutdown phone by holding power for 5 sec and start phone again. Adroid is updating apps and Art runs! Ty for this nice tool!

Greez Lord

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

abinash

Dec 12, 2009
Bhubaneswar
I switched to art from developer options but then after my htc one M8 stuck at "Android is upgrading screen" that saying optimising apps 9 of 12. Unfortunately i am on CWM recovery as well have no zip file in my phone. What to do? dont want to wipe phone.
any solution?

Last edited:

lordlambda

Aug 22, 2013
I switched to art from developer options but then after my htc one M8 stuck at "Android is upgrading screen" that saying optimising apps 9 of 12. Unfortunately i am on stock recovery as well have no zip file in my phone. What to do? dont want to wipe phone.
any solution?

You can find zip databases to change runtime via recovery.

lordlambda

Aug 22, 2013
Know you should bei able to flash back to dalvik via cwm by using the zip in the first post. After you are back on dalvik, go again to cwm recovery clear dalvik cache and flash the art zip file. Before flashing the art zip it is useful to do a nandroid backup in cwm and saveing this on PC. For me this procedure workes as I had this problem.

abinash

Dec 12, 2009
Bhubaneswar
Know you should bei able to flash back to dalvik via cwm by using the zip in the first post. After you are back on dalvik, go again to cwm recovery clear dalvik cache and flash the art zip file. Before flashing the art zip it is useful to do a nandroid backup in cwm and saveing this on PC. For me this procedure workes as I had this problem.
hey i can't transfer that zip file to my phone since my phone gets stuck tends to bootloop.

lordlambda

Aug 22, 2013
hey i can't transfer that zip file to my phone since my phone gets stuck tends to bootloop.

You should be able to transfer it via adb via recovery. I think cwm will support this. I use TWRP and it works. Otherwise flash TWRP using fastboot.

Edit. Before flashing any dalvik or art zip I recommend you to do a backup of the whole phone. Also you can transfer it via adb.

Last edited:
Reactions: abinash

abinash

Dec 12, 2009
Bhubaneswar
You should be able to transfer it via adb via recovery. I think cwm will support this. I use TWRP and it works. Otherwise flash TWRP using fastboot.

Edit. Before flashing any dalvik or art zip I recommend you to do a backup of the whole phone. Also you can transfer it via adb.
I managed to transfer zip by adb sideload....[emoji6]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Switch D2A_RT
    Tool by hnkotnis

SmF5zNs.png

Hello Everyone!

I installed CM11 Kitkat on my Samsung Galaxy S Plus. I didn't wanted to activate the Developer's option in settings for next 5 days (Because I don't want my friends mess around). But I wanted to switch over to ART. So I had such idea that I can do this from recovery.
    But I also had idea, due to my previous work with Aroma Installer, that I can create a single zip that can revert back to Dalvik also.

I found that after Factory Restore runtime is set to Dalvik again.
    So I concluded that it is stored in /data
    After messing around with the /data partition, I found where selected runtime is saved.
    I created such a zip and I am sharing with you.

Meanwhile, when I was writing this thread, similar thread suggest showed me another tool of XDA Senior Member husen4u.
    However his tool has 2 different files required to be flashed.
    I did not copy his work, but runtime change code is same for all Android 4.4+, however I still give him credits, because he created similar project first.

So I present you my new tool :- Switch D2A_RT

So general idea is this tool can change ART <------> Dalvik from single zip.

Downloads:-
    TESTED OK
    File is attached at bottom of this post.
    Current Version :- 2.0
    Release Date :- 15th April, 2014

MD5 Sum:- 0f50fa11df8452f75e83a5bff2bee78a
    Scanned with VirusTotal. NO VIRUS FOUND!
    Detection ratio :- 0/51
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/35552560f6c1927059a78d99265a556040394f4cbb51ad849f35cc3cc388daea/analysis/1397545742/

Older Version Details:-

File is attached at bottom of this post.
    Older Version :- 1.0
    Release Date :- 11the April, 2014

MD5 Sum:- 60a5261f35a969e38816699159b285a1
    Scanned with VirusTotal. NO VIRUS FOUND!
    Detection ratio :- 0/50
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/bd7bc795b9b9656a63652a1fbd8ec360427c7f45a72959ce427bfc733653f11d/analysis/1397214029/

Change Log:-
    Version 0.5 5th April, 2014
    • Initial Release.
    • First Working Version.
    • Not published on XDA. Only tested on my phone.

Version 0.5 5th April, 2014
    • Fixed some minor icons.
    • First version to be published on XDA and also featured on XDA Portal and XDA TV :D

Version 2.0 15th April, 2014
    • Added option to wipe Dalvik Cache.
    • busybox comes with this zip, no need to have busybox installed.

Instructions:-

0. You need a Android 4.4+ ROM. :D
    1. Download and put the zip file in any storage.
    2. Go to recovery (use any recovery, I used CWM Touch 6.0.3.6).
    3. Flash the zip file and navigate through Aroma Menu.
    4. Choose ART or Dalvik and Reboot.
    5. Rebooting can take lot of time (depending on number of apps). CyanogenMod 11 users can see "Android is upgrading" screen.

• ENJOY!!!

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT FAQ if you have any questions/doubts or this software is not working.
    Few common problems like incompatibility and XPOSED are mentioned there.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):-
    • Phone bootlooping after changing runtime to ART?
    => Change runtime to Dalvik back again. Your phone (may) not be compatible.

• Apps crash with ART as runtime?
    => That is not my fault. ART is in primary stage and many apps do not support ART. Switch back to Dalvik to use such apps.

• Status 0 Error while flashing the zip?
    => Relax. Take update-binary of ROM of your device. Rename it to "update-binary-installer" and use it to replace its counterpart from zip.

• Runtime is not changing to ART?
    => 1) Uninstall Xposed Framework, Reboot. Then try again. Xposed and ART don't work simultaneously.
    Or_2) Check if "libart.so" and "libart-compiler.so" are in /system/lib. If they don't exits, ROM is not compatible with ART.
    Or_3) Open "/data/property/persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib" with text editor and find what is runtime.

• You stole XYZ's (XYZ is example person's name) work.
    => I sincerely tell you, I didn't do that. I discovered this on my own after scanning all files in /data.

I tested this on my SGS+ GT-I9001 with CM11. Both functions work. However there might be some minor GUI/icon/picture size errors.
    But main functions of this work fine.

Disclaimer:-
    Developer of this tool, hnkotnis, has no responsiblity if your phone, memory card or you are bricked, bootlooped or any type of damage.
    You are using this tool on your own and you take whole responsibility of any damage caused.
    YOU CANNOT MODIFY, COPY OR PUBLISH THIS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

Press Thanks if helped.
    Reserved.

Reserved for something or may be nothing, but reserved for everything.
    Reserved

Same here.
    Disable Xposed Framework for resolve this problem.

Best regards.
    Nice man.. I had this idea floating around in my head for a while, even posted it to google devs.. I was to get them to run at the same time art first then delvik after the initial launch swith after the at
    rt has optimized the apps then over to delvik to keep any lagging scripts from slowing load times between app lauches..
    SO say if the option to switch to ART is not shown in the developer options (d801 LG G2) could this still be used? Or are OEM's able to fully remove ART instead of disabling the option?

This can be used without enabling Developer Options.

But compatibility of ART Depends on your ROM buddy. Please read the FAQ. There are 2 files mentioned.
    If OEM removed "libart.so" and "libart-compiler", then ART is fully disabled.

Press Thanks if helped.