[MOD][FEB 10] MultiROM v33

Search This thread

The_Hamster

Nov 25, 2010
Ulbølle
After flashing this and Ubuntu, my N7 gets stuck while booting.. I've removed everything from MultiROM, and wiped system before installing, but it's still looping.. Logcat shows that it gets stuck at "D/dalvikvm( 471): GC_CONCURRENT freed 1489K, 28% free 8773K/12104K, paused 2ms+4ms, total 72ms"

The_Hamster

Nov 25, 2010
Ulbølle
Which Ubuntu? Show me the whole log, that one line is completely irrelevant. Also, why would you wipe your /system?

The image from the OP. 13.04

http://pastebin.com/S2PkiKs4
As much of the log as could fit in my terminal..

As I thought that it might have changed something in /system, so I reinstalled my ROM without wiping data.. But after trying to wipe data, it boots, so it has screwed something up with /data

gc84245

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast of Canada
After flashing this and Ubuntu, my N7 gets stuck while booting.. I've removed everything from MultiROM, and wiped system before installing, but it's still looping.. Logcat shows that it gets stuck at "D/dalvikvm( 471): GC_CONCURRENT freed 1489K, 28% free 8773K/12104K, paused 2ms+4ms, total 72ms"

Which file did you flash first, armel+grouper or armhf?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

Tasssadar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com
Okay, I think it is pretty much ready.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/72alq0y77xf2gkf/TWRP_multirom_grouper_20130919.img
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h44bcjq059qqq4n/multirom-20130919-v13-grouper.zip

Version 13 doesn't really bring many new features, but it is using the "shared codebase", meaning the code works on multiple devices, meaning version for flo is nearly ready. If it goes well on grouper, I'm aiming for release early next week.
In the meantime, I would like you to use and test MultiROM as much as you can - a lot of code has changed and bugs might have crept in and we certainly don't want them to live on. But, I've also implemented backups for secondary ROMs. The ROMs must _not_ share the kernel with internal though - I simply don't have enough data to create full backup image without that. Also, Don't share kernel is now default option when adding ROM.

The image from the OP. 13.04

http://pastebin.com/S2PkiKs4
As much of the log as could fit in my terminal..

As I thought that it might have changed something in /system, so I reinstalled my ROM without wiping data.. But after trying to wipe data, it boots, so it has screwed something up with /data

As a part of my testing of v13, I've installed Ubuntu several times, but I can't reproduce this. Did you have enough space in /data? I know that some old versions of CM refused to boot if there wasn't enough free space (i.e. when the "Not enough free space" notification would pop up in Android), I don't know if that's still the case. Did it happen immediatelly after installing, without first boot to Ubuntu? All the logs you can get are welcome.

Last edited:

s33d1ing

Jul 7, 2012
Oklahoma
I've never installed a secondary rom without sharing the kernel before so I though I would install a new rom without sharing to try out the backup feature. However, when I try to boot the secondary rom it it says I need a kernel with kexec-hardboot support. I have franco kernel installed on the primary rom and I also flashed franco kernel on the secondary rom but it still displays this error. From what I understand this should be working seeing as franco kernel has kexec support.

The_Hamster

Nov 25, 2010
Ulbølle
As a part of my testing of v13, I've installed Ubuntu several times, but I can't reproduce this. Did you have enough space in /data? I know that some old versions of CM refused to boot if there wasn't enough free space (i.e. when the "Not enough free space" notification would pop up in Android), I don't know if that's still the case. Did it happen immediatelly after installing, without first boot to Ubuntu? All the logs you can get are welcome.

Pretty sure I have plenty of space, will check!
I played around with Ubuntu for like, 5 minutes, then tried to boot CM and.. Nothing..
But I'll try deleting a few of the larger files I have, and try again

Attachments

• CMloop.txt
    309.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ayysir

Aug 30, 2011
Bronx, NY
Okay, I think it is pretty much ready.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/72alq0y77xf2gkf/TWRP_multirom_grouper_20130919.img
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h44bcjq059qqq4n/multirom-20130919-v13-grouper.zip

Version 13 doesn't really bring many new features, but it is using the "shared codebase", meaning the code works on multiple devices, meaning version for flo is nearly ready. If it goes well on grouper, I'm aiming for release early next week.
In the meantime, I would like you to use and test MultiROM as much as you can - a lot of code has changed and bugs might have crept in and we certainly don't want them to live on. But, I've also implemented backups for secondary ROMs. The ROMs must _not_ share the kernel with internal though - I simply don't have enough data to create full backup image without that. Also, Don't share kernel is now default option when adding ROM.

where is the shared codebase available ?

EDIT: what you think about my commit: https://github.com/ParanoidAndroid/lge-kernel-mako/commit/c0c1f805613fe9e006e6026123fcad39249c0b43

Last edited:

Tasssadar

Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com

Links to source code are in the first post, except the branch is 'master' instead of 'nexus7'.

As for the patch - it looks like it should work, but don't spread it among mako kernels yet. Please wait a few days for the flo version, it is significantly improved (it doesn't require the guest kernel to be patched). Thanks for asking me about it, though:).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

ayysir

Aug 30, 2011
Bronx, NY
Links to source code are in the first post, except the branch is 'master' instead of 'nexus7'.

As for the patch - it looks like it should work, but don't spread it among mako kernels yet. Please wait a few days for the flo version, it is significantly improved (it doesn't require the guest kernel to be patched). Thanks for asking me about it, though:).

Cool, the patch errors on me at machine_kexec though. But its cool that's its just one file. Thanks for response

Wishing to get this working on gs3

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
I flashed both the new multirom and TWRP from 09/19 and it doesn't seem to be working with a secondary rom. I have an internal 4.3 rom and a 4.2 secondary rom with its own 4.2 kernel and while the internal boots, the secondary hangs at the multirom screen and fails to boot.

I've had this exact setup all along with previous versions of multirom with no issues. I decided to make a backup of my 4.2 rom and then tried to install this as a new rom with a non-shared kernel as well and that also failed to boot.

If I just leave the new 09/19 TWRP installed and go back to multirom 12a, everything works, including the new 4.2 rom created from the backup I made with the new TWRP.

Thanks,
Mike T

jbaumert

Jun 9, 2012
Eaton, CO
Similar problem here, after flashing MultiROM 13. Selected secondary ROM and what "appeared" was first "internal" ROM boot animation stuck in a bootloop.

thereal_bigjake

Sep 17, 2012
Centralia
What kernel(s) are you using are you using and is your secondary rom(s) shared or not shared?

Mike T

I am using Oxydo and am sharing, let me flash one real quick not shared to see what happens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

What kernel(s) are you using are you using and is your secondary rom(s) shared or not shared?

Mike T

Ok flashed PACman not sharing kernel with Oxydo on both and worked perfectly.

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
I am using Oxydo and am sharing, let me flash one real quick not shared to see what happens.

EDITED:
One of my secondary roms, AOKP 4.2 won't work shared or not shared. With multirom versions prior to 13, it always worked as not shared. I will have to check further with another 4.2 rom & kernel.

Mike T

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Ok flashed PACman not sharing kernel with Oxydo on both and worked perfectly.

Yeah, PAC is a 4.3 rom, I think you need to flash a 4.2 rom and 4.2 kernel to see this issue. I'm sure Tasssadar expected some issues with this newest version and I'm also sure he'll get it worked out.

Mike T

Last edited:

Tasssadar

Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com
I'm currently outside, will see to that freeze on Sunday. In the meantime, try to get me logs - when it freezes, try adb logcat (probably won't work) or restart to recovery by holding PWR+VolDown and 'adb pull /proc/last_kmsg'.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vh3puLb.png
    Introduction

MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Nexus 7. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, Plasma Active, Bohdi Linux or WebOS port.Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs, daily prebuilt image files to install Ubuntu Touch and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
    * Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
    * Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
    * Use for example Ubuntu Touch or Desktop alongside with Android, without the need of device formatting
    * Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

You can also watch a video which shows it in action.

Warning!

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is messing with boot sector and data partition. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation
    1. Via MultiROM Manager app
    This is the easiest way to install everything MultiROM needs. Install the app and select MultiROM and recovery on the Install/Update card. If the Status card says Kernel: doesn't have kexec-hardboot patch! in red letters, you have to install also patched kernel - either select one on the Install/Update card or get some 3rd-party kernel here on XDA. You are chosing kernel for your primary ROM, not any of your (future) secondary ROMs, so select the version accordingly.
    Press "Install" on the Install/Update card to start the installation.

2. Manual installation
    Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

Note 1: There have been reports that (not only) MultiROM does not work properly with older bootloaders. Update it to version 4.13 or newer in case you have problems.

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:

• MultiROM (multirom_vXX_n7-signed.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
    • Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_n7_YYYYMMDD.img) - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot or Flashify app to flash it.
    • Patched kernel - You can use either one of the stock ones in second post or third-party kernels which include the patch, you can see list in the second post. Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery.
    You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
    Download links are in the second post.

Adding ROMs

1. Android
    Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm. As for the space, clean installation of stock 4.2 after first boot (with dalvik cache generated and connected to google account) takes 676mb of space.​

2. Ubuntu Touch
    Use the MultiROM Manager app to install Ubuntu Touch.

Ubuntu Touch is in development - MultiROM will have to be updated to keep up with future changes in Ubuntu, so there's a good chance this method stops working after a while and I'll have to fix it.

3. Ubuntu Desktop
    Ubuntu desktop for Nexus 7 has been discontinued and is no longer updated. 13.04 is the last release.
    Download Ubuntu 13.04 image from here. Put the image in the memory of N7 or to USB flash drive and go to recovery. Select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM and choose "Ubuntu" as ROM type. Then select the Ubuntu's image and confirm. Clean installation of Ubuntu is 1.5gb big, and takes a while (10 minutes?) to install.
    The first boot takes a bit longer, and 13.04 stays a while (30-60s) in console ("Enter login:") before the GUI shows up, so just wait a while.
    Ubuntu ROM must not have spaces in name!
    Using Ubuntu on N7, Frequently Asked Questions

Using USB drive
    During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
    If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
    If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
    Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
    Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)

• Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
    • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
    2. Secondary Android ROMs
    If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:

• Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
    • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.
    • In some cases, you might need to flash patched kernel - get coresponding patched kernel version from second post and flash it to the secondary ROM sama way you flashed ROM's ZIP file.

Explanation of recovery menus

Main menu
    - Add ROM - add ROM to boot
    - List ROMs - list installed ROMs and manage them
    - Inject boot.img file - When you download for example kernel, which is distrubuted as whole boot.img (eg. franco kernel), you have to use this option on it, otherwise you would lose MultiROM.
    - Inject curr. boot sector - Use this option if MultiROM does not show up on boot, for example after kernel installation.
    - Settings - well, settings.

Manage ROM
    - Rename, delete - I believe these are obvious
    - Flash ZIP (only Android ROMs) - flash ZIP to the ROM, for example gapps
    - Add/replace boot.img - replaces boot.img used by this ROM, this is more like developer option.
    - Re-patch init - this is available only for ubuntu. Use it when ubuntu cannot find root partition, ie. after apt-get upgrade which changed the init script.​

Source code

Donations

I'd be glad if you could spare a few bucks. You can use either paypal or Bitcoins, my address is 172RccLB2ffSnJyYwjYbUD3Nx4QX3R8Ris

Thanks to all donors, it is much appreciated :)

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiROM, a Tool/Utility for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    Tasssadar

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v16a
    Stable Release Date: 2013-10-22

Created 2013-07-30
    Last Updated 2013-10-22
    Downloads

1. Main downloads

MultiROM: multirom-20160207-v33-grouper.zip
    Modified recovery (based on TWRP): TWRP_multirom_grouper_20160210.img (grouper) or TWRP_multirom_tilapia_20160210.img (tilapia)
    MultiROM Manager Android app: Google Play or link to APK

Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 4.1): kernel_kexec_grouper_41-3.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 4.2): kernel_kexec_grouper_42-3.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 4.2.2): kernel_kexec_grouper_422-2.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 4.3): kernel_kexec_grouper_430-2.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 4.4): kernel_kexec_grouper_440.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 4.4.1 and 4.4.2): kernel_kexec_grouper_441.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 4.4.3 and 4.4.4): kernel_kexec_grouper_443.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 5.0): kernel_kexec_grouper_50_final.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 5.0.2): kernel_kexec_grouper_502.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (Stock 5.1 and 5.1.1): kernel_kexec_grouper_510.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (CM 10.1): kernel_kexec_grouper_cm101-5.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (CM 10.2): kernel_kexec_grouper_cm102-2.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (CM 11 (4.4 - 4.4.2)): kernel_kexec_grouper_cm11.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (CM 11 (4.4.3 - 4.4.4)): kernel_kexec_grouper_cm11-2-87193876fd.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (CM 12): kernel_kexec_grouper_cm12-1-124dbe573f.zip
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch (CM 12.1): kernel_kexec_grouper_cm121-01-5e0fa481d7.zip
    You need to have kernel with kexec-hardboot patch only in your primary ROM!

Mirror: http://d-h.st/users/tassadar

3. Linux ROMs (Bohdi, Plasma Active, WebOS packed for MultiROM)

You can find these systems in separate thread: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2093797

4. Uninstaller

MultiROM uninstaller: multirom_uninstaller-2.zip
    Flash this ZIP file to remove MultiROM from your device. It will erase all secondary ROMs. If you don't want MultiROM menus in recovery, re-flash clean TWRP, but it is not needed - those menus don't do anything if MultiROM is not installed.

5. Flashable factory images ZIPs
    I usually release flashable ZIP files based on new factory images from Google, so that you can have clean stock ROM as a secondary system in MultiROM. They are not rooted, no anything, except for occasional small tweaks to make rooting with SuperSU possible. You can find them in this folder on basketbuild or dev-host.

Changelog
    Code:
    MultiROM v33
    =====================
    * Updates for Android 6.0 compatibility

MultiROM v32a
    =====================
    * Fix pattern encryption password incorrectly reporting "invalid password"
      when the pattern overlaps itself

MultiROM v32
    =====================
    * Minor GUI improvements
    * Support for device encryption (with Android-based secondary ROMs only). See
      FAQ in this device's XDA thread for more info.
    * Bunch of ROM compatibility fixes

MultiROM v31
    =====================
    * Add support for "multimount" fstab (fixes CM12)
    * Support interlaced PNGs (fixes wrongly rendered icons in boot manager, e.g.
      the L icon)

MultiROM v30
    =====================
    * Fix logs generated by the "emergency reboot" screen, they were incomplete

MultiROM v29
    =====================
    * Implement "autoboot if no key pressed" mode - the boot manager won't show up
      unless you hold down a volume down button during boot. Must be enabled in
      recovery.
    * Android 5.0 preview related tweaks

MultiROM v28
    =====================
    * Fix freezes in the boot manager
    * You can now swipe between the tabs in the boot manager
    * Minor UI adjustments
    * SailfishOS support (for certain devices)

MultiROM v27
    =====================
    * Redesign the boot manager GUI. Looks much better now.
    * Fix separate radio.img not working on Android L preview ROMs
    * Fix issues with unaccessible /sdcard on Android L preview. Do NOT run
      restorecon manually on /data/media, ever - it breaks MultiROM!
    * Workaround bug which caused franco.Kernel on N5 to break secondary ROM's
      boot
    * Update Ubuntu Touch init scripts
    * Use power+volume down (you have to press power first!) to save screenshots.
      They are now PNG images and are saved to /sdcard/Pictures/Screenshots/.

MultiROM v26
    =====================
    * Fix boot into secondary ROM from the MultiROM Manager app broken in v25

MultiROM v25
    =====================
    * Add support for the Android L preview
    * Misc F2FS fixes

MultiROM v24
    =====================
    * Add F2FS support
    * Show icons in ROM list, configurable via MultiROM Manager app
    * Improve compatibility with different ROMs and kernels when booting a ROM
      from the Android app

MultiROM v23
    =====================
    * Fix compatibility with Ubuntu Touch rev 290 and higher. If your Ubuntu
      installation won't boot, go to recovery and use "Re-patch init" option in
      Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs -> *ubuntu*.

MultiROM v22b
    =====================
    * Mount the real /data partition to folder /android/realdata in Ubuntu Touch,
      enabling sharing data between Android and Ubuntu Touch. See
      [url]http://bit.ly/ut_sharing[/url] for more info.

MultiROM v22a
    =====================
    * Fix hardware keys not working for some users
    * Update Ubuntu Touch patches

MultiROM v22
    =====================
    * Fix linux-type ROMs (Ubuntu Touch) failing to boot for some users

MultiROM v21
    =====================
    * Revert "mount /system in secondary ROMs read-only" - if done so, SuperSU
      breaks the boot.

MultiROM v20
    =====================
    * Support booting ROMs directly from Manager App
    * Fix FCs on CyanogenMod-based ROMs
    * Fix support for USB drives formatted with NTFS, broken in v17
    * Mount /system in secondary ROMs read-only

MultiROM v19
    =====================
    * Implement "boot the last ROM" auto-boot type

MultiROM v18
    =====================
    * Fix silent-but-unpleasant crash with exFAT

MultiROM v17
    =====================
    * Changes to support MultiROM Manager app
    * Add support for exFAT

MultiROM v16a
    =====================
    * Fix kexec not working on some kernels

MultiROM v16
    =====================
    * Add overscroll bounceback effect to rom list
    * Add support for controling via physical keys
    * Bunch of under-the-hood changes for mako and m7 support

MultiROM v15
    =====================
    * Fix cmdline handling for kexec, doesn't change anything for grouper, just to
      have the same version for both flo and grouper (no need to update)

MultiROM v14
    =====================
    * Find and change correct fstab (fixes freezes on boot)
    * Mount /realdata without nosuid (fixes no root on 4.1 and 4.2 ROMs)
    * Use libbootimg to work with boot.img files

MultiROM v13
    =====================
    * Partial rewrite of the codebase to make it compatible with multiple devices
    * Add run-on-boot scripts (for advanced users who know linux and bash, see
      [url]https://github.com/Tasssadar/multirom/wiki/run-on-boot-scripts[/url])

MultiROM v12a
    =====================
    * Detect kexec-hardboot patch in kernel even if /proc/config.gz is not
      available

MultiROM v12
    =====================
    * Implement screen rotation and 1280x800 theme
    * Fix auto-boot option
    * Fix listview's fast scrollbar behavior

MultiROM v11
    =====================
    * Option to hide Internal ROM
    * Option to rename Internal ROM
    * Support for Ubuntu Touch

MultiROM v10
    =====================
    * Non-error message boxes aren't red now
    * Add possibility to switch between several color themes, go to misc tab and
      try it out
    * New MultiROM installer format
    * Add "discard" option to /data mounting
    * Add battery status to misc tab (bottom right corner)
    * Add brightness setting
    * Implement ADB

MultiROM v9
    =====================
    * Make it compatible with LZ4 ramdisk compression
    * Improve touch-related code. You should not get anymore phantom button
      presses nor listview freezes

MultiROM v8
    =====================
    * Fix kexec-hardboot with new bootloader v4.18
    * Search for already present USB drives on start
    * Centre "MultiROM" title in main UI

MultiROM v7
    =====================
    * Correctly boot Ubuntu after recent kernel update. Read this post:
      [url]http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37389003&postcount=1031[/url]
    * Remove specific support for Ubuntu - it is now handled as "generic linux"
      (with rom_info.txt file). Nothing should change for the users
    * Sort ROMs alphabetically
    * Add "progress dots" to USB screen, so that user knows that it is doing
      something
    * Recovery was also updated, don't forget to flash it

MultiROM v6
    =====================
    * Properly check for kexec-hardboot patch in kernel
    * Internal" is always first in ROM list now, as originally intended
    * Much more logging for kexec-related stuff
    * Print last 50 lines of klog to "Emergency reboot" screen

MultiROM v5-2
    =====================
    * Fix ubuntu
    * MultiROM still says it's v5. I did not change the version number because it
      is literally one character fix.

MultiROM v5
    =====================
    * Support for ROMs with configuration file. This makes porting
      Ubuntu/plasma/webos/anything much more easier. See the third post.
    * MultiROM will no longer let you boot Ubuntu ROM if it's name contains
      spaces, because the boot would fail.

MultiROM v4
    =====================
    * Fix GPS on ROMs other than Internal
    * Minor UI changes

MultiROM v3
    =====================
    * Switch to Ubuntu 13.04. Version 12.10 is no longer supported
    * Switch to kexec-hardboot based multi-booting. Read the first post.
    * Add support for booting from USB drive
    * MediaScanner no longer scans /sdcard/multirom, which means no useless
      battery drain
    * Recovery was updated, make sure to flash it, too.

MultiROM v2
    =====================
    * Add support for Ubuntu on 3G version of Nexus 7
    * Fix some issues with 4.2 ROMs
    * Recovery was updated, make sure to flash it, too.

MultiROM v1
    =====================
    * Initial version

Recoveries:
    Code:
    =====================
    * Fix ZIP selector being set to wrong storage after flashing ZIP to a
      secondary ROM

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 3.0.0 (big thanks to nkk71 for doing most of the work)
    * Use Material theme made by z31s1g - thanks!
    * Fixes for 6.0 compatibility
    * Fixes for SuperSU compatibility. Use BETA 2.67-20160203160253 (
      [url]http://bit.ly/m_su[/url] ) or newer!

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.8.7

=====================
    * Fix installation of CM-based ZIP files
    * Add "duplicate ROM" option to "Swap ROMs" page
    * Running "restorecon -R /data" while in recovery will no longer break
      secondary ROMs

=====================
    * Fix support for SuperSU 2.47 Beta and higher

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.8.6
    * Added "restorecon" option to secondary ROMs (in MultiROM -> List ROMs),
      should be used to fix broken SELinux contexts, which can be causing
      bootloops of secondary ROMs
    * Bunch of ROM compatibility fixes - recovery now uses entirely new way to
      inject ZIP installation files, which should be much more robust and reliable
    * Big ZIPs (> 450MB) are no longer permanently modified when flashed as
      secondary ROMs
    * Fix sideloading of big ZIP files (> 450MB) into secondary ROMs

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.8.5
    * Fix support for ROMs containing a supersu.zip in their installation file
      (e.g. AICP)

=====================
    * Fix "Swap ROMs" feature after the last update

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.8.4
    * Lots of ZIP compatibility fixes (e.g. for CM 12)

=====================
    * Support for ZIP files which are using the new 'block_image_update' command
      (e.g. SimpleAOSP ROM)

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.8.1

=====================
    * Update autoboot settings for MultiROM v29

=====================
    * Update with changes from 2.8.0.1 upstream version: fix a bug that causes
      weird graphics glitches and touch issues

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.8.0
    * Fix adding ROMs from backup to a FAT32 USB drives
    * Remove "share kernel with internal?" from "Add ROM" page, there is usually
      no reason to use it anymore and it might be confusing to figure out what it
      actually does. You can still get the same behavior by clicking "Remove
      boot.img" on the List ROMs -> *rom name* page.

=====================
    * Remove Ubuntu Touch installation, installing via recovery is deprecated
    * Add SailfishOS installation (only for supported devices)

=====================
    * Show secondary ROM's name in the title bar while executing it's script (e.g.
      during OTA update)
    * Update Ubuntu Touch updater
    * Fix failure to swap ROMs if it contains filenames starting with a dot
    * Fix add ROM from a backup producing unbootable ROM with Android L preview
    * Add option to remove radio.img from secondary ROMs
    * Add config options for MultiROM v27

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.7.1
    * Hide misleading "Mount: Unable to find partition for path '/data'" message
      which appeared during secondary ROM installation, it is not _actually_ an
      error.
    * Fix installation of non-Android systems to USB drives

=====================
    * Fix installation of bigger (>350MB) ZIPs as secondary ROMs

=====================
    * Fix installation of Ubuntu Desktop

=====================
    * Fix crash during settings loading, causing a bootloop with certain settings

=====================
    * Add F2FS support
    * Add tool to switch F2FS<->ext4 to Advanced menu
    * Fix problems with backups introduced by TWRP 2.7.0

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.7.0
    * Remove "save" button from MultiROM settings page, it is saved automatically
      now
    * Some rendering optimizations, resulting in noticeably higher FPS in recovery

=====================
    * Fix GPG signature verification of Ubuntu Touch installation files
    * Add support for mice connected via USB-OTG
    * Fixup scrollbar behaviour in file list

=====================
    * Fix installing ROMs to USB drive
    * Fix ZIP verification
    * Support ZIP verification for secondary ROMs

=====================
    * Support OTA updates on secondary ROMs (tested with omni)
    * Add "Swap ROMs" feature
    * Implement "boot the last ROM" auto-boot type
    * Many bugfixes

10.11.2013 - 01
    =====================
    * Fix some mounting issues when using ntfs or exFAT

=====================
    * Add exFAT support
    * Support system-image based Ubuntu Touch installation
    * Support Ubuntu Touch OTA updates, if Ubuntu is installed
      via MultiROM manager app

=====================
    * Fix SuperSU reporting "failed" when flashed to secondary ROM
      and completely borking the MultiROM part for any subsequent
      uses of "Flash ZIP" or "Backup" option

=====================
    * Automatically inject boot sector with MultiROM
      after ZIP installation or ADB sideload. Can be
      turned off on "confirm flash" or "ADB sideload"
      pages.

=====================
    * Support 'adb sideload' when adding ROMs
    * Support rotation while using custom recovery theme

=====================
    * Don't display unsupported systems in "Add ROM" menu

=====================

=====================
    * Fix custom theme support

=====================
    * Partial rewrite of the codebase to make it compatible with multiple devices
    * Add option to backup secondary ROMs
    * Don't show "Flash ZIP" option for Ubuntu Touch ROM, it is not an Android

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.6.3.0
    * Fix Ubuntu desktop image decompression

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.6.1.0
    * Temporarily removed Timur's USB kernel, because it is not
      4.3-compatible and I can't find sources

=====================
    * Clean rebuild of the recovery, I probably forgot to do that last time
      and it wouldn't boot on some tilapia devices. No function changes.

=====================
    * Fix updater-script incompatibilities for some ROMs (e.g. PAC-Man)

=====================
    * Fix deletion of 4.3 ROMs with new SuperSU version installed

=====================
    * Don't ignore format("/system"); when flashing ZIPs to secondary ROMs,
      this should fix updating secondary ROMs, particulary from 4.2 to 4.3
    * Some fixes for 4.3 ROMs
    * Add "remove boot.img" option to Android ROMs

=====================
    * Fix crash when installing Android ROM with kernel sharing enabled

=====================
    * Add rotation option to MultiROM settings
    * Properly handle kernel flashing for Android ROMs:
      you can now flash kernel via "Flash ZIP" option in "List ROMs" menu,
      Aroma installer should work properly
    * Fix ZIP flashing for 3G version of Nexus 7

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.6.0.0
    * Support for screen rotation, Settings -> Screen
    * Support for Ubuntu Touch
    * Added options from MultiROM v11 to hide or rename Internal ROM
    * MultiROM Settings menu was reorganized
    * MultiROM options added to landscape layout
    * Recovery now has Timur's USB host kernel

=====================
    * Fix "Add ROM" option not properly installing /data partition from
      backup, if the backup is bigger than 1.5gb
    * Make names of ROMs created from Android Backup prettier

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.5.0.0

=====================
    * Add support for MultiROM installer format
    * Add new MultiROM settings (brightness, adb)

=====================
    * Updated to TWRP 2.4.4.0
    * Add support for LZ4 & LZMA ramdisk compression
    * Add some handy buttons to "flash complete" page,
      thanks ikslawlok for suggestion

=====================
    * Fix freeze when selecting ROM in "Add ROM" option
      in MultiROM menu

=====================
    * Updated to TWRP 2.4.3.0

=====================
    * Fix recovery kernel, so that you can boot linux ROMs even if
      kernel in internal memory has older kexec-hardboot patch
    * Enable brightness settings from TWRP

=====================
    * Updated to TWRP 2.4.2.0
    * Add fast scrollbar to fileselectors
    * Voldown to turn off screen ("sleep" mode)

=====================
    * Fix Ubuntu Touch installation with
      combination of 4.2 as Internal ROM

=====================
    * Don't copy the ZIP to RAM while flashing ZIPs bigger
      than 450 MB (currently only Ubuntu touch) in "Add ROM"
      or "Flash ZIP" options. This prevents crash which would appear
      due to low memory, but also means that these ZIP files
      will be modified, which makes them unusable outside MultiROM
      after flashing.
    * Add Ubuntu touch support

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.4.1.0
    * Don't reset ROMs location in "List ROMs" when going back
      from managing ROM to the ROM list
    * Fix recovery crash when there is too deep directory structure
      in /data, thanks rifraf for debugging this

=====================
    * Update to TWRP 2.4.0.0
    * Properly disable flash-kernel during Ubuntu installation.
      This is important fix, because without it, Ubuntu
      can rewrite your boot.img.
    * Add option to wipe /data, /cache and dalvik-cache
      of secondary Android ROMs
    * Use gnutar binary compiled specifically for tegra 3,
      means faster installation of Ubuntu
    * Add "pressed" effect to all buttons, so that you know
      if you pressed it or not.
    * When installing Android ROM from ZIP which does not have
      boot.img (armoma installer...), try to use current boot sector
      instead of boot.img. The ROM may not boot, so you should always
      add boot.img which is compatible to the ZIP file.
    * Update to keep up with MultiROM v7

=====================
    * Fix "Add ROM" for backups in internal memory
    ------------------------------------------
    * Update TWRP to 2.3.3.0
    * Add option to Add ROM from backups
    * Should be able to flash ZIP files for both grouper and tilapia

=====================
    * Update to support MultiROM v3

=====================
    * Fix "flash zip" option for ROMs without whitespace in name. I've
      accidentally broke it in previous update, sorry :/

=====================
    * Fix "flash zip" option for ROMs with whitespace in name

=====================
    * Add Ubuntu support for Nexus 7 3G

=====================
    * Initial version
    FAQ and other notes
    Device encryption
    Since v32, MultiROM supports encryption on this device (it has to be added for each device separately). It works only with Android-based secondary ROMs and the secondary ROMs don't know the device is encrypted, so they would allow you to encrypt the device again - do not do that. If you're using password, pin or pattern for the encryption, MultiROM will ask you for the password on boot. If you're booting the primary ROM, then Android will ask you for the password _again_ - unfortunately, there is no way for me to pass the "unencrypted" status to Android. If you're booting secondary ROM, MultiROM will ask you for the password again after the reboot - that's because I have to unencrypt the /data partition after the ROM's kernel is loaded.

I could omit the second password prompt when booting secondary ROM by temporarily saving the password somewhere, but that's obviously unsafe. So is using encryption with unlocked device though, so I might add this later.​

About security
    In order to make multi-booting possible, MultiROM has to sacrifice some security measures. Firstly, on secondary Android ROMs, /system is not mounted read-only. While there are other things preventing malicious software from messing with /system, this might potentialy make it easier for such software to attack that system.​

What do the ROMs share?
    All ROMs are separate, except /sdcard, which is shared between all Android ROMs.​

How many ROMs can I have?/Where are the ROMs stored?
    You can have as many ROMs as you can fit in your /sdcard. All the ROMs are stored in /sdcard/multirom/roms or on an USB drive. This folder is unaccessible in Android, to prevent mediascanner from scanning it. You can either in recovery, or obtain root and go to /data/media/0/multirom/roms.

Can I have different versions of Android working alongside
    Yes. As long as you select "Don't shere kernel" when installing the secondary ROM, the systems are separated.​

MultiROM recovery says it's 2.6.3.0. Why isn't it updated to 2.6.3.*highernumber*?
    It is, it just shows wrong version.​

The menu with all the ROMs won't show up during boot, how to fix it?
    Either re-flash the MultiROM zip or go to recovery, Advanced -> MultiROM -> Inject curr. boot sector.

The reason for this is that something rewrote your boot.img, which happens for example when you flash a kernel. MultiROM's boot menu is part of the boot image, so it has to be added into it again.

Will you port MultiROM to device X?
    No, probably. I won't port MultiROM to any device I don't own, because it is very difficult to provide the level of support I want to provide if I can't test things myself, as proven by the Nexus 4 port. I'd like to support more devices, but it is also very unsatisfying to work on code for device I don't have - I invest hours upon hours of time for free into it, and then I can't even see it running on the device, so...why..bother..?
    I'll probably keep buying Nexus devices and keep porting MultiROM to those myself, but I can't buy every single device - I'm still a student, all my existing devices were bought using some kind of money grant or donations from users.
    But, you can port it yourself, the wiki should give you at least some idea how to do that: https://github.com/Tasssadar/multirom/wiki/Porting-MultiROM
    MultiROM v11 and a new recovery were released. It supports new Ubuntu Touch images, but keep in mind that Ubuntu is still very much in development, and will sooner rather than later change in some way so that it becomes incompatible again.

Recovery now has screen rotation built-in and uses Timur's USB host kernel, so users with car-mounted n7 can rejoice)

Recovery: http://www.mediafire.com/download/12b7e68xz4dr6gp/TWRP_multirom_n7_20130709.img
    MultiROM v11: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8w2i4o3lzf81bdx/multirom_v11_n7-signed.zip

BTW: multirom_v10_n7-signed.zip has over 6700 downloads, I wonder how many people are actually using this thing Oo
    Recovery was updated to 4.3 changes and 4.3 kernel with kexec-hardboot patch is available.

To install 4.3 as secondary ROM, simply use the flashable ZIP to "Add ROM" and then "Flash ZIP" the patched 4.3 kernel to that ROM.
    To update existing 4.2 ROM, flash the ZIP over it and then flash the patched kernel.

Warning! Existing root does not work with 4.3! Because of SELinux added in 4.3, Superuser apps have to be updated, in the meantime, you can use ChainFire's experimental 4.3 root: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Chainfire/posts/WqS2E9kkN1L

New bootloader is also part of factory 4.3 images (it's version 4.23). It doesn't seem to break anything like last bootloader update did, so you should be safe to flash it if you wish to do so.

kexec_kernel_430.zip
    TWRP_multirom_n7_20130724.img
    Stock 4.3 in flashable ZIP: http://goo.im/devs/Tassadar/android_430.zip or http://d-h.st/8fE

BTW, the new n7 indeed looks quite nice :)