[Q]PS3 Controller on 3.1

Search This thread

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
Hi updated my tab with the official update.zip found here and now i'm under 3.1, but if i connect my PS3 pads they just charge and i can't get them to work with Snesoid or in the homescreens like i saw in a bunch of videos from Xoom and Transformers.
There's a workaround or the A500 version of 3.1 lacks of this feature (it would be very disappointing)?

Agosh13

Dec 27, 2009
Hi updated my tab with the official update.zip found here and now i'm under 3.1, but if i connect my PS3 pads they just charge and i can't get them to work with Snesoid or in the homescreens like i saw in a bunch of videos from Xoom and Transformers.
There's a workaround or the A500 version of 3.1 lacks of this feature (it would be very disappointing)?

i have the same problem

MurderCity420

Oct 11, 2010
Did you go into Settings _> Language & Input -> Keyboard Settings ->

Configure Input Devices and turn on the PS3 Controller
then back and
Current Input Method and choose the PS3 controller

I know I have to do something similar for the WiiControllerIME

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
Did you go into Settings _> Language & Input -> Keyboard Settings ->

Configure Input Devices and turn on the PS3 Controller
then back and
Current Input Method and choose the PS3 controller

I know I have to do something similar for the WiiControllerIME

Thanks, but no luck, it doesn't see the controller. I think i'll mail Acer to ask about this.

EDIT: just tried a wireless mouse, it works like a charm. I think they have dropped the controller drivers :(

Last edited:

godashram

Feb 28, 2007
Thanks, but no luck, it doesn't see the controller. I think i'll mail Acer to ask about this.

EDIT: just tried a wireless mouse, it works like a charm. I think they have dropped the controller drivers :(

i plan to try my madcatz ps3 fightpad tonight, it's wireless with a dongle.

if i remember correctly, 3.1's gamepad support is for usb hid gamepads. the bluetooth ps3 pads may require a bit more to just work.

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
But i connected it via USB, not with bluetooth. I dont have different pads, just 2 PS3 ones, but i dont understand why on Xoom and Transformers they works and on A500 not.

oasisautospa

Nov 29, 2010
I could be wrong, but pretty sure using the USB cord with factory ps3 controllers does not make them USB controllers! The USB is ONLY for charging ps3 controllers. They are bluetooth 100% of the time(mine are this way). And just as the way you use them with ps3, they must be synced to work.
My advice, just get a cheap USB controller, maybe even one for windows PC. They are usually around $5. Or find a knockoff ps3 controller found on many of the chinese sites for about the same money...should work till BT PS3 controller is sorted.

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
They work USB on PS3 too, for example when they are in charge or you enter in recovery mode.
More sixaxis and DS3 work with Xoom and Transformers (in a video the guy says: "you just need to connect and press the PS button").

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
You're wrong. On windows they work with USB cable.

Out of the box, the PS3 controllers are charge-only over USB. You have to use a third-party driver to use the PS3 controller over USB on a PC. The only console controller drivers built-in to Windows OS are for the XBox controllers (for obvious reasons).

Even on the PS3 system, if you plug the controller in to the USB ports while playing, it will use Bluetooth if it's available. If for some reason Bluetooth is not available then the PS3 will resort to USB as if it was a PS2 controller, but you won't have the full PS3 controller functionality (which is why Sony has it default to Bluetooth whenever possible).

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
But on Honeycomb 3.1 they probably embeded the driver because on the other 2 it works out of the box.

agent888

Jun 11, 2011
I have a retrolink USB nes game pad that I was going to try with Nesoid. The buttons work in menus and such, but the direction pad does not :(
The buttons don't seem to return any particular key press, so it doesn't seem mappable.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

agent888

Jun 11, 2011
Just did some more testing with a few more USB devices I had laying around. My saitek joystick lets me navigate menus and button presses will do things like open programs, it doesn't seem to work in nesoid. I have an old nostromo n50 game pad, the kind you rest your left hand on. It works perfect with nesoid.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

Agosh13

Dec 27, 2009
Out of the box, the PS3 controllers are charge-only over USB. You have to use a third-party driver to use the PS3 controller over USB on a PC. The only console controller drivers built-in to Windows OS are for the XBox controllers (for obvious reasons).

Even on the PS3 system, if you plug the controller in to the USB ports while playing, it will use Bluetooth if it's available. If for some reason Bluetooth is not available then the PS3 will resort to USB as if it was a PS2 controller, but you won't have the full PS3 controller functionality (which is why Sony has it default to Bluetooth whenever possible).

NO. The controller can work with bluetooth or with USB. There aren't charge only over USB.

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
NO. The controller can work with bluetooth or with USB. There aren't charge only over USB.

When using a PS3 controller with a PS3 system, it will use bluetooth connectivity whenever possible. If for some reason a controller will not sync with the PS3, you can get it to connect over USB, but that's not the preferred/default method. You can easily see this to be true when you're playing a game while charging your controller via USB. Unplug the USB cable -- did your controller lose connectivity? No, because it was always connected via bluetooth. Otherwise, if it lost USB connectivity it would have to reconnect via bluetooth when you disconnected the cable.

As for the PS3 controller on other devices via USB or bluetooth, to the best of my knowledge every single device requires drivers. This includes Android v3.1 devices -- some of them just have the driver built-in to their ROM. Apparently, Acer did not include that.