[RECOVERY][Fascinate]TWRP 2.3.1.1 touch recovery [2012-10-16]

Search This thread

dcdgoth

Jul 25, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga
TWRP 2.2.2.1 Soft bricked my phone

I flashed TWRP in CWM Recovery 6.0.1.0 (CM10 Jellybro Rom), and it bricked my phone. It says installation aborted. When I reboot the system, I was stuck at Samsung logo. When I try to get back to the recovery, it didn't let me open it.....phone was stuck at Samsung logo again. Am I missing something here?

noobchef

Feb 24, 2012
The fascinate download gave me a status 6 error then aborted. I tried twice.

AOKP test 4.1.2 devil kernel 1.6.1

Last edited:

noobchef

Feb 24, 2012
http://db.tt/WPje7FWo
My log after a couple more attempts.
Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

but how would I pull a recovery.log from trying to install twrp 2.3?

After flashing the zip and getting the error, I opened the file manager in devil kernel, opened the TMP file, copied the log and pasted to my sd. Rebooted and uploaded to dropbox.

Reactions: ztotherad

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
My log after a couple more attempts.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

After flashing the zip and getting the error, I opened the file manager in devil kernel, opened the TMP file, copied the log and pasted to my sd. Rebooted and uploaded to dropbox.

ill definitely remember that, maybe ill do it now && upload my log as well, just incase their different

EDIT: heres my recovery.log
ROM: Eclipse Jellybean 2.1
Kernel: Devil Kernel 1.6.1
Recovery: Devil Recovery 6.0.1

http://db.tt/WUFtBtic

Last edited:

noobchef

Feb 24, 2012
The new download opened fine but I went to reboot system and it hung up on the Samsung logo, making me visit old friends in Odinville. The above link is the recovery.log from that.

AOKP test 4.1.2
Devil kernel 1.6.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.3, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.3.1.0:
    -Unmount system after boot to prevent some status 7 symlink failed errors on zip install
    -USB Mass Storage code improvements
    -Better handling of mounting storage during boot for some devices
    -Fixed a problem with sizes of images (boot & recovery) after resetting defaults
    -Fixed size errors during backup for some devices on recovery, etc.
    -Fixed a problem with restoring backups when multiple archives were present

CHANGELOG for 2.3.0.0:
    -Rebased onto AOSP Jelly Bean source code
    -Rewrote backup, restore, wipe, and mount code in C++ classes for easier maintenance going forward
    NOTE: backups from prior versions of TWRP are still compatible with 2.3
    -ADB sideload functionality from AOSP is included in 2.3, see this link for more info
    -Re-wrote fix permissions entirely in C++ and runs in a few seconds instead of a few minutes (thanks to bigbiff)
    -Improvements to zip finding in OpenRecoveryScript (should be a lot fewer GooManager automation issues)
    -Faster boot times
    -Added charging indicator while in recovery (only updates once every 60 seconds)

While this update may not bring a host of new must-have features, this update is a significant re-write of much of the core TWRP code. AOSP Jelly Bean recovery source moved to mostly C++ code and now all of the "TWRP" code is fully rewritten into C++ as well. Now that we've laid this groundwork, we're in a much better position to pull in future AOSP recovery updates as well as implementing more great new features.

Since TWRP 2.3 is based on AOSP jelly bean sources, TWRP now uses recovery API 3 instead of 2. Some zips may no longer work if the developer is using an out-of-date update-binary. This API change should not be a problem on newer devices, but older devices will probably encounter several zips that need to be updated. If needed, you can try using this update-binary that was compiled with current sources. It goes in your zip file in the META-INF/com/google/android folder.

DOWNLOAD:
    The fastest and easiest way to install TWRP is to use the GooManager app:
    Play Store Link
    Direct Download
    1) Install GooManager from the Play Store
    2) Open GooManager and provide root permissions
    3) Hit Menu (or the button with the 3 dots on your screen) and then Install OpenRecovery
    OR:
    You can find more information and download links on our website!

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 30 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
    Stephen, I have not tried those due to time. I can tell you I tried flashing the cwm fixed for cm7 twice and I still remained on twrp. I tried once with the injection button checked and once with it unchecked. Same result but no boot loop issues at all from that or any other flashing. This recovery is a tricky one for sure. When I get more time I will try some of your requests. I have limited time at my home computer lately because of work and studying for a test for work.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

How did you flash the CWM CM7? If you (or the zip) used flash_image, then you might need to use erase_image first. flash_image checks the first 2KB of the image against what's already in boot. If it matches then it refuses to flash. The 2KB approach works fine for "normal" Android kernels because the first 2KB contains a "unique signature" but it doesn't always work well for Samsung SGS1 kernels because they are packed differently. I've found that I sometimes had to use erase_image in order to get flash_image to work. I've thought about submitting a patch to CM to fix this issue but haven't gotten around to it yet.

TWRP has been tested on the Epic 4G here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1622947

And there's a zip here that should re-inject CWM. It would need to be modified slightly to work with the Fascinate, but someone could use this as a base if they wanted:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1651012

I think most of the issues that you'll experience will be due to the "injection process". If your kernel or ROM developer already includes TWRP in their builds then you don't need to try to reinject TWRP every time and we do make it optional. The recovery itself should be pretty solid because we use the same code across all devices (except for the optional injection code) so there's nothing that's specific to the SGS1 devices. Also, for the record, because sk8 loaned me his Fascinate, I was able to add /datadata support to TWRP, so that issue gone now too.

If you do run into any issues, please let me know. It's best to PM me, submit a bug report on github, or catch me in #twrp on Freenode. With over 20 devices to support I can't frequent the threads on the forums or I won't get any coding done.
    I will warn you all to use care with this, it does not play well with other recoveries and roms, and sometimes even with Odin. I used it a lot trying to test things for steve and we decided to put it on the back burner, it is cool but causes trouble sometimes. Basically, it's awesome to use and has lots of handy features (zip queue ftw) but try not to flash anything with it if you aren't near a computer that you can Odin with just in case.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Things I would like tested before I include it in AOKP.

1) data wipe. You can flash the ROM again boot and if all is well go back and restore.

2) flash the ROM or Efpophis kernel and tell me what recovery you have. It should be blue or red not twrp.

If those are good I'll look into including it.

Sent from my Glitched AOKP Unicorn.
    After serious testing on this recovery last night I have come to the following conclusions:

1:) This is the ONLY recovery that will let me backup/restore my device correctly on this phone
    2:) USB Mount doesn't seem to work, but if I had to trade USB Mount for working backups it is NOT a hard choice.
    3:) This recovery is one of the simplest to use and most functional recoveries I have used on ANY phone
    4:) This recovery is extremely responsive, full featured and beautiful to look at with the theme I have on it. Oh yeah, did I mention you can THEME THE RECOVERY?!?! WIN!
    5:) Any more bacon packed in this package would cause massive coronary problems.
    6:) If you are scared to try it, don't be. I am using ONLY TWRP recovery from this point on. I'm sold.

So if any of you are on the edge about this recovery, take the plunge. I promise you will not regret it.