[Q] Where does Amazon Music store downloaded Prime music?

Search This thread

ant-iphone

Nov 12, 2008
So Amazon Music now allows Prime members to download free Prime music to their mobile device for offline listening. Anyone know where on the device they store this music? If they're putting it on my phone instead of its external SD card, I'm going to be much more conservative about how much Prime music I download. Obviously they have security measures to keep the Prime music from being freely accessed outside of the Amazon Music App (and thus possibly shared), but something has to be stored somewhere... I just want to know where, exactly.

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Using a rooted Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5, stock ROM (for now)

Reactions: Gabe1021

dh4645

Aug 19, 2010
PA
So Amazon Music now allows Prime members to download free Prime music to their mobile device for offline listening. Anyone know where on the device they store this music? If they're putting it on my phone instead of its external SD card, I'm going to be much more conservative about how much Prime music I download. Obviously they have security measures to keep the Prime music from being freely accessed outside of the Amazon Music App (and thus possibly shared), but something has to be stored somewhere... I just want to know where, exactly.

i would like to know this as well. I just downloaded an album to my phone and the amazon music app says there is data on my external sd card, but i dont see the files.

using root explorer

extSdCard/Android/data/com.amazon.mp3/files/Music has an updated date of 17 min ago when I started to download, but there are no files in there..
are they hidden somehow?

partially downloaded...size on sd card matches what the notification panel size that it has downloaded.
10717966_741575975891457_1333521773_n.jpg

Last edited:

jae_63

Jun 15, 2010
DRM'd Amazon music downloads don't go on SD card ... maybe they can be symlinked?

On my rooted KitKat Motorola Photon Q, here's a sample path:
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.amazon.mp3/files/Music/Bruce_Springsteen/Born_In_The_U_S_A_/B00137GCGK_(disc_1)_11_-_Dancing_In_The_Dark.m4a

Some of these will play on my phone (all would play on it when I was running in an unrooted JB environment), but not consistently (the Amazon app crashes).

[ actually there's no SD card currently inserted into this phone ]

If I was able to play these consistently from main storage, then my next step would be to try creating symbolic links from main storage to the SD card for these. I would like to know whether this would work. I'll report back if I wind up with a workable test environment (e.g., if I find that these recordings will play with a rooted JB ROM)

jae_63

Jun 15, 2010
Favorable resolution on my JB ROM

On my rooted KitKat Motorola Photon Q, here's a sample path:
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.amazon.mp3/files/Music/Bruce_Springsteen/Born_In_The_U_S_A_/B00137GCGK_(disc_1)_11_-_Dancing_In_The_Dark.m4a

Some of these will play on my phone (all would play on it when I was running in an unrooted JB environment), but not consistently (the Amazon app crashes).

[ actually there's no SD card currently inserted into this phone ]

If I was able to play these consistently from main storage, then my next step would be to try creating symbolic links from main storage to the SD card for these. I would like to know whether this would work. I'll report back if I wind up with a workable test environment (e.g., if I find that these recordings will play with a rooted JB ROM)

I was finally able to get this working, but I'm using a JB ROM, not a KitKat ROM. I don't think that the latter should be a show-stopper, if the Amazon Prime MP3s will play "normally" with your ROM, i.e., prior to the gymnastics which I describe in my link.

Hmm ... I can't post the link, but you can google for "jae_63 android forums amazon prime symlinks".

If someone else could post the Android Forums link, that would be helpful ... TIA.

I will answer questions either here on XDA, or on Android Forums.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Hmm ... some reports suggest that this problem can be resolved using FolderMount, which has a discussion thread here on XDA.

This would be a much simpler solution than what I've done ... I suggest trying that first. My interpretation of the FolderMount documentation suggests that it might be necessary to use the paid version of that app to access the required /data/media directory. My solution is free, but pretty hairy.

Please post back here (or on AndroidForums) if you attempt either FolderMount or my solution.

Gabe1021

Sep 11, 2013
San Dimas
i would like to know this as well. I just downloaded an album to my phone and the amazon music app says there is data on my external sd card, but i dont see the files.

using root explorer

extSdCard/Android/data/com.amazon.mp3/files/Music has an updated date of 17 min ago when I started to download, but there are no files in there..
are they hidden somehow?
-------------------------------------------------

I've also looked around and I think Amazon hides those files in that amazonmp3 folder

jae_63

Jun 15, 2010
For Amazon Prime music, look in
/data/media/0/Android/data/com.amazon.mp3/files/Music

(That is how it is on my JB phone. Your phone may be different.)

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

AndePearson

Sep 16, 2015
HTC m8 location

so, found the locations easy enough on my htc m8

Downloaded tracks store to internal device path :

/storage/emulated/0/android/data/com.amazon.mp3/files/music > PrimePlaylist (for downloaded playlists)

oddly, when i first selected the download option the app said "choose storage" and i choose my SD card.

I have since found that it has stored the downloads in both the internal and external locations; I have no idea why, but here is the external path for the SD card:

/storage/ext_sd/android/data/com.amazon.mp3/files/music > primeplaylist (for downloaded playlists)

Reactions: xdalaw

Dr. Righteous

Dec 14, 2015
Knoxville
Using Cyanogenmod on a Fire phone

At first the Amazon prime music app refused to install on my rooted Fire Phone.
I just installed the APK and it worked fine. ;)
Then was just playing around with this today. Found the downloaded MP3 files are in a hidden directory. com.amazon.mp3 was hidden. (nice try Amazon).
It was a matter of clicking "show hidden files" in linux and duh; there it was.
data/com.amazon.mp3/files/music etc, etc

Dr. Righteous

Dec 14, 2015
Knoxville
At first the Amazon prime music app refused to install on my rooted Fire Phone.
I just installed the APK and it worked fine. ;)
Then was just playing around with this today. Found the downloaded MP3 files are in a hidden directory. com.amazon.mp3 was hidden. (nice try Amazon).
It was a matter of clicking "show hidden files" in linux and duh; there it was.
data/com.amazon.mp3/files/music etc, etc
Not tried; they are DRM laden files. I googled a it and found some pretty "iffy" utilities I didn't trust not to be full of spyware.

jlancer

Jul 14, 2016
on the internal storage <android<data<com.amazon.mp3<files<music. If you are trying to store to sd card and your getting the stubborn 206 error external memory is full, go to your settings<find storage<sd card<unmount(wait 10 seconds)<mount. it should then save to sd card. no it will not let you copy and paste the music from your phone to your sd card. if it is prime music it will need to be re-downloaded.

pounder8

Aug 6, 2016
So i see where a downloaded playlist is supposed to reside but what about a locally created one? I had my music saved to my SD and my SD got full. So i transferred all my SD card to a new larger SD card. Now when i go into prime music it shows my playlist name but with zero songs. How do i fix that? I did not know how to put my playlist back up to the cloud.

tuxj

Jan 4, 2011
Hi All,

I would have the same question to ask you.
Is there a way to convert or playing these .m4a files through other media player?
ie. Google Play Music.

thanks in advance

Reactions: able101

arcaddiction

Jun 25, 2012
Hyderabad
I have the files and we cannot change them as they are DRM protected. I heard somewhere that we need to create an audio cd and then extract but that did not work either. Any help on this will be much appreciated!

Reactions: thatdroid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

HTC m8 location

so, found the locations easy enough on my htc m8

Downloaded tracks store to internal device path :

/storage/emulated/0/android/data/com.amazon.mp3/files/music > PrimePlaylist (for downloaded playlists)

oddly, when i first selected the download option the app said "choose storage" and i choose my SD card.

I have since found that it has stored the downloads in both the internal and external locations; I have no idea why, but here is the external path for the SD card:

/storage/ext_sd/android/data/com.amazon.mp3/files/music > primeplaylist (for downloaded playlists)
    Hi All,

I would have the same question to ask you.
    Is there a way to convert or playing these .m4a files through other media player?
    ie. Google Play Music.

thanks in advance
    I have the files and we cannot change them as they are DRM protected. I heard somewhere that we need to create an audio cd and then extract but that did not work either. Any help on this will be much appreciated!