[UPDATE][5/4][MOD]Hulu working BRILLIANTLY on Honeycomb {TESTERS NEEDED}

Search This thread

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 5/4: It has been determined, although it remains unclear as to why, that you need a modified kernel in order for this mod to work. It is my intention to get Hulu working across the Honeycomb platform, so if you have any input as to why Tiamat's kernel is required, please address it in this thread

Read Entire Post
    Download links at the bottom of the post.

Using a modified version of the new (4/29)10.2 Flash update, created by imneveral0ne, from the Thunderbolt forums, and Dolphin Mini, with minor settings adjustments, you can enjoy smooth, clear playback of content from Hulu, in it's full browser format. This includes access to all content, including those deemed unavailable for access by mobile devices or TV's. The apk modification essentially changes the user agent of Flash as it appears on the net.

Previously, this has been possible using a similarly modified apk, changing your user agent to desktop, and viewing Hulu using an alternate URL, www.hulu.com/widget/player. While not only presenting an awful UI, this method of playback resulted in choppy video that often fell out of sync.

If you are currently not using Dolphin Mini as a daily browser, it will be easy for you to install it, and implement it as a single purpose browser. Just change the homepage to hulu.com. It's UI is conveniently matched to the design of Hulu's website, which makes for a clean experience. It's light and fast, and could be a daily driver for those looking for a minimalist browser.

The entire experience is smoother, Flash is behaving like it should. Selecting options from within the Hulu playback interface has been a nightmare, but with the updated flash, and HRI66, it's an entirely pleasant way to watch great content on the Xoom.

As for playback, you will find smooth playing video, at 480p. 480p looks great on the Xoom and the Tegra 2 handles it beautifully. By manually lowering the resolution of choice, to either 360p or 288p, you will notice the decrease in resolution, however, you should increase your available bandwidth and relax the stress on your processor, likely saving battery life.

Regarding HD, it is possible, with Hulu Plus of course, to play video in 720p . However, because hardware acceleration has yet to be enabled, the resulting video will be choppy and most likely unwatchable. This has been tested with an over-clocked Tegra2 at 1.5ghz. It would be fair to assume that when the Xoom and/or Honeycomb receive the update Adobe is referring to, 720p HD playback will be possible. In the mean time, 480p looks fantastic.

Also of note, true multitasking is possible using this mod. You can go back to your homescreen, open new apps, check your mail, and your Hulu video will remain playing in the background. You can still hear audio, and work during commercials, resuming playback instantly.

As for installation, this couldn't be easier.

1. Download modified Flash 10.2 HERE CHOOSE LINK #2 LABELED Flash 10.2 + Hulu_2.apk OR from this dropbox public link

2. Uninstall your current version of Flash using the Manage Applications setting.

3. Reboot

4. Install modified version of Flash 10.2

5. Install Dolphin Mini from the Market HERE

6. In Dolphin Mini, change the user agent to Desktop (Menu>Toolbox>UserAgent>Desktop) and change plug-ins to always on (Menu>Toolbox>Settings>Enable Plug-Ins>Always On). This will ensure Flash content plays back immediately.

7. Go to hulu.com and enjoy all the great content on the go with your Android Honeycomb Tablet!!!!

Instructions updated to reflect the following contribution.
    One thing i would recommend, uninstall flash, reboot, then install the new version 2 hulu flash file. If you want to test if you have the right one installed, go to Flash Version and it should show WIN 99 99 99 99.

If you are having trouble, for example, Hulu is telling you Flash is not installed, please leave a post in the thread noting your model(Wifi or 3g), your build number(HRI39, HRI66 etc), your kernel(modified or stock) and your recovery. It has been determined that a custom kernel is required for this mod to work appropriately. If you have any idea as to why this may be the case, please dump your ideas in this thread.
    I ran this version before it was posted here. I also use dolphin hd. One thing i would recommend, uninstall flash, reboot, then install the new version 2 hulu flash file. If you want to test if you have the right one installed, go to Flash Version and it should show WIN 99 99 99 99.
    Tried this as well and no dice. The odd thing I'm finding is that after installing Flash isn't even listed under the "Running" section of the app manager. It says it's installed but clearly isn't running. Maybe I'll try the other download, perhaps something is borked with the dropbox version.

Consider uninstalling Adobe Air. A previous post mentioned it worked after doing so. Unsure about status after re-install though.
    Most of the time when people are getting the "browser not supported" message it is just because they do not have it set to "Desktop" in the user setting. Check that ;)