[HOW TO]The Big N00B how-to!

Search This thread

gabwerkz

Aug 16, 2011
Three Stars and a Sun
NOOBY, add this link for general public so they would understand how Android works...

http://lwn.net/images/pdf/suspend_blockers.pdf

It tackles about "suspend blockers" or what we call "wakelocks". Android's Power Management.

Take time to read whenever you have time, I'll quote...

The Google's Android operating system has been designed with mobile devices, like cell phones or tablets, in mind. Such devices are generally not expected to be able to carry out CPU-intensive computations or do very I/O-intensive kind of work like workstations or servers. Thus, although they are supposed to allow their users to preform some tasks that can also be done on a desktop computer, like browsing the Web, reading and sending e-mail, listening to music or playing simple video games, they generally need not support extensive multitasking and they are inherently single-user. Generally speaking, their performance requirements are quite dierent from the performance requirements of other Linux-based systems.

On the other hand, it is essential that these devices can be used for as much time as possible without connecting to any external power sources (e.g. AC power). In other words, their battery life has to be as long as reasonably possible, even at the expense of performance.

I also posted some references about Governors in general, and Tweaks (for advanced users) in CyanogenMod discussion.

Last edited:

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Updated post #2 with how to make a logcat for noobs. READ IT pls, the developers around here will be thankful for them.

And all devs, simply link your consumers here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22597884&postcount=2

This will help both sides. Devs get information of whats going wrong and the consumers will get better/faster/more stable ROMs ;)

If you see anything I missed, PM me pls and I ll fix it. The problem I have is, that I dont know, if you need adb SDK as well, cause I had QtADB installed already.

Have fun :D

Reactions: Zaihanzainal

Borjie

Feb 25, 2012
Procedure to uninstall patches...

Hello NOOBY,

I've read a lot of your posts and I salute you for being too helpful to everyone here who seek advices.

For this very informative thread of yours, would you mind if I request for you to add the procedure how to uninstall patches?

Say for example I have installed a theme and it's working and for certain reason I want to revert back to the previous state, how am I gonna do it.

A big thank in advance!

champzzz

Sep 30, 2011
Hello NOOBY,

I've read a lot of your posts and I salute you for being too helpful to everyone here who seek advices.

For this very informative thread of yours, would you mind if I request for you to add the procedure how to uninstall patches?

Say for example I have installed a theme and it's working and for certain reason I want to revert back to the previous state, how am I gonna do it.

A big thank in advance!

When you say installed you mean flashed a .zip from recovery?

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Yes he does and I might add something about it, but there is no general way, how to do it, since it depends, on what you flashed... It is possible, you only have to remove/replace one file (libsqlit) or something like Beats Audio, where you need to remove like 20 files by hand... Thats pretty hard, so the easiert way, is to make a nandroid and if you dont like the new version after the flash, you can restore the backup.
Hope that's what you meant, but this is NO discussion thread...

Reactions: Borjie

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Updated firstpost, gotta sum up all the ROMs that are already available for our device, but I am in quite a hurry today :p Damn private life :D

Now there is a guide, of how to root any software on your own.

Nomore need for anyone to do it for you ;)

t0g3

Aug 20, 2011
N00BY, just suggestion

how about adding info about button combo shortcut (especially in stock rom)
ex :
  • Home + power = screenshot
  • hold G button then power on = enter safe mode
  • hold power button for 5-6 second = reboot (really usefull when screen freeze and some SOD, no need to pull out the battery)
  • etc

Reactions: N00BY0815

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Of course there is a way. Maybe I ll add a rooted version of it, as soon, as i got time. But there already is a general way. Will link it, as soon as I got time again ;)

Here you go:
DO IT YOURSELF :D
Wanna make your own rooted software? It's quite simple, due to navossoc! Thanks for this guide and the tool.
[TOOL] Lg Extract Tool
Follow the guide, and first extract the kdz file into a cab file. Extract this cab file, then you ll get a v00y.wbd file and a LGP970.dll. 00 represents your SW version, e.g. 10 or 20 and y stands for a letter like B,N,...
So you e.g. get a file called v20N.wdb file.
Then again open the programm in cmd and extract the wdb file (see in the link above). Be sure it is in the same folder as the lgextract.exe file, or add the patch of the file. Copying it to the same folder is the easier solution ;)
Now you ll get a new folder and in it a few bin files and one fls file.
First cd ti the new bin folder.
You need to add up all the files with this command:
copy /b "LGP970_AP
[*].bin" "LGP970_AP.bin"
Now you have a flashable bin and fls file for Smartflashtool.
If you wanna root it, you need Ubuntu or another linux distribution, which supports the dd command.
Then follow THIS
It's really easy, so dont ask for rooted software anymore, but make it on your own.
To flash and actually root the SW, you need to follow THIS guide, from Step 2 on, and it will be perfectly rooted and you can be sure, that noone patched anything else in your software, cause you made it on your own ;)

Sent from my LG-P970 using XDA

Last edited:

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Updated the ROM part. If you wish another ROM or anything else to be in that guide (and remember it is a basic NOOB starter guide) just go ahead and PM me please.

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
i had to try all rom to know what is what. it will be good if u include small description and likeness of all rom and rank them. like for stock the ranks. for cianogen and miui ranks. for gb ranks. for JCS ranks and description etc. just a sugesstion. thank for the thread. i pressed it too ;)

It's hard to rank the roms, since everyone has got a different taste. There are lot more roms already, but i was on holiday, so i had no time to update. U just need to look into the rom threads, to learn about the features and i dont even know all of the features, since i also didnt try all of them. And like the title implies, this is only a basic beginners guide ;) hope it helped you anyway :)

Sent from my LG-P970 using xda app-developers app

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Which patch should i have keep in smart tool to root my lg optimum p970 V20e
Thankq

Download the v20e (find the link where you can download it in my third post), download the CWM injection tool, inject cwm, flash superuser.zip and you are rooted. Have fun and if you have any questions left, please post it in Q&A or use search.

RomWiz

Jan 27, 2012
Helsingborg
I can't download patched roms on the links on the first page,i dont know why, so i tried to find other sources.
and i found .kdz files not bin/fls...

Then I found a ROM converter...
just to clarify, if you dont "inject CWM" on this process means you are just converting .kdz to bin/fls.. the converted files are still stock/unpatched?

Yes

$3nt fr0m my K4ng3d Ph0n3

hawkeye10

Oct 3, 2012
where can i find the backup recovery?

i would like to copy those backup to my PC, but i cant find those file folders
i have clockworkmod recovery V5.8.1.3(injected using ROM converter)

Thnk you...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROOT

FOLLOW THIS VIDEO TUTORIAL by wagstuff13

Wanna make your own rooted software? It's quite simple, due to navossoc! Thanks for this guide and the tool.
    [TOOL] Lg Extract Tool
    Follow the guide, and first extract the kdz file into a cab file. Extract this cab file, then you ll get a v00y.wbd file and a LGP970.dll. 00 represents your SW version, e.g. 10 or 20 and y stands for a letter like B,N,...
    So you e.g. get a file called v20N.wdb file.
    Then again open the programm in cmd and extract the wdb file (see in the link above). Be sure it is in the same folder as the lgextract.exe file, or add the patch of the file. Copying it to the same folder is the easier solution ;)
    Now you ll get a new folder and in it a few bin files and one fls file.
    First cd ti the new bin folder.
    You need to add up all the files with this command:
    copy /b "LGP970_AP
    [*].bin" "LGP970_AP.bin"
    Now you have a flashable bin and fls file for Smartflashtool.
    If you wanna root it, you need Ubuntu or another linux distribution, which supports the dd command.
    Then follow THIS
    It's really easy, so dont ask for rooted software anymore, but make it on your own.
    To flash and actually root the SW, you need to follow THIS guide, from Step 2 on, and it will be perfectly rooted and you can be sure, that noone patched anything else in your software, cause you made it on your own ;)

Now you can link to this post directly, if anyone is asking for ANY rooted version ;)

There already is an updated tool, which does the unpacking and injecting CWM automatically. I am sorry, but I dont have time, to update the post, so here is the link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1692191

Here you can get every kdz firmware, you need: http://lg-phone-firmware.com/index.php?id_mod=1
    More more detailed information will be found here :D
    This is going to be a big NOOB how to, since I read the same questions OVER AND OVER again! If anyone then asks a question, that is already answered here, just redirect them here and close/delete their thread.

I am sorry for not having updated this in a long time, but there is simply stuff, that seems more important to me, than Android ;)

Important Terms:
    NooB: My own definition: A person who is new to a subject and knows hardly anything about it. And since you read this, you seem to be one of them ;) Since I am reading and thinking this in this moment, I am, too :D :D
    CWM: Clock Work Mod (Recovery Menu)
    SFT: Smartflashtool
    B2C: Lg Mobile Update Tool
    ADB: a command prompt, which is very power- and usefull. Instead, you can also use THIS(credits to achyut)
    SoD: Screen of Death, which means, that your phone is frozen, and you can't do anything at all. Often combined, with a heating up, of the device.
    su/SU: Can have two meanings, either the the Superuser rights, that permit programms/apps root privileges, or superuser binaries (a part of the Superuser app).
    UV: Undervolting, which means setting a lower voltage to your CPU/GPU
    --> Saves battery, may cause instability.
    OC: Overclocking, means setting higher speed to your CPU/GPU
    -->Higher speed, but mostly also higher battery drain, or instability.
    Nandroid: A backup of the whole system, made with CWM, can be restored within minutes.
    OTA: Over The Air, Update via Wifi/network, I suggest you not do use it.
    FC: Force Close, error with apps, which forces them to be closed.
    chmod: Set permissions to a file. E.g. make it read/writeable.

Lets start with ROMs/kernels:
    ROM is practicly the whole Operating System of your android device. It includes all software needed, plus a kernel.

Then there are kernels, which mostly tweak some stuff, in order to save battery, provide more speed, provide stuff like OC(overlocking) and UV(undervolting).

A modified kernel is not a whole ROM! It only is additionally to a ROM, in order to tweak it ;)
    A kernel is the HEART of a ROM. (Thanks to gabwerkz) Also see here: Kernel

AVAILABLE ROMs:​

There are several ROMs:
    Stock Roms:
    • Froyo (Android 2.2.x) (V10x)
    • Gingerbread (GB) (Android 2.3.x) (v20x)
    • Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) (Android 4.0) Not yet officially available for our device yet.

Custom ROMs

Based on Froyo:​

Based on Gingerbread:​

Based on CM7:

MIUI 2:

Original CM7, which is a Gingerbread ROM build from scratch.

Based on ICS:​

Based on Jellybean:​

These are not all by far, so just head over to the Developer Section and check the others out on your own.

Available Kernels:​

Jellybean kernels
    What's the best ROM for you:

If you wonder what's the best ROM for you go to: Best ROM for Optimus Black
    Or go here: Best ROM for Optimus Black
    I gave some information to the ROMs here, and which MIGHT fit you best, just try them.

Root:​

Why would u want it?

Cause this gives you something like admin privileges in windows.
    This allows you to modify/add, delete,... files, that ususally are protected.
    It also allows you to install ClockWorkMod, which in turn allows you to flash custom ROMs, which we all like so much, because of their smoothness, battery saving possibilities, OCing, UVing, and so on :D

ROOT ON Froyo (2.2.x, v10x)

For the v10x Versions (Froyo, Android 2.2.x), BlackJack should work in most cases, find it here:
    [STARTER] Upgrade Kit 3.6 | Apps 1.9 | Root, Flash, Unbrick, Tuts...
    Also find a CWM installer in this package, or download ROM Manager from android market and install CWM (ClockWorkMod) from there.
    CWM gives you the possibility, to boot to a special kind of OS, that allows you to delete data, mount system, data,... And most important flash .zip files.
    If a version cant be rooted by using Blackjack, try SOC (SuperOneClick).
    If this still doesnt work, leave a comment, of your version and a link or description, of how to root it.
    You also might wanna try UnlockRoot.

ROOT FOR Gingerbread (V20x, 2.3.x)

For v20x(GB, Android 2.3.x): ROOT V20x

see v20a UAE: ROOT v20a (made by myself, hope it works)

see v20S: ROOT v20sYou can download a pre-rooted V20s here. Follow the link HERE

If you still are unable to root it, discuss it here: [Q] How to root P970 Gingerbread V20N

OR here: LGE P970 V20* GB Rooting

FOLLOW THIS VIDEO TUTORIAL by wagstuff13

There already is an updated tool, which does the unpacking and injecting CWM automatically. I am sorry, but I dont have time, to update the post, so here is the link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1692191

Here you can get every kdz firmware, you need: http://lg-phone-firmware.com/index.php?id_mod=1

Root on ICS:​

It's really simple. Download: THANKS TO ILKO for the clean installer.
    Install, run, reboot your phone and your done ;)

Please do not try to install CWM on ICS. You'll get a security error and will have to unbrick your device!

If you already have ICS stock on your phone, there is a simply procedure, that will allow you to get CWM again, but you'll have to install a new ROM via Smartflashtool.

1. You need a V20 ROM, that has been patched with CWM, like THIS ONE.
    2. You need Smartflashtool
    3. Download Superuser.zip from here: http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip and put it on your SD card.
    4. Unpack the V20S patched .7z file
    5. Flash the .bin file using SFT
    6. Your phone will reboot to recovery
    7. Do a factory reset and if you wanna stick with a rooted v20S, just flash the superuser.zip and reboot. If you already want to install a custom ROM, just put that on your sd card and flash it (see how to install a custom ROM).
    8. Reboot and enjoy your new ROM ;)

The UNROOT

If you wanna unroot your device, why so ever, the easiest way is to use Unlock Root (Link above) open it, connect your phone via USB, enable Debugging Mode and click unroot. If you wanna unroot it, e.g. to be able to send it back to LG on warranty, better use the method below, to unbrick your device with R&D tool.
    Because like this, you will get back an unrooted device, which has also been hardresetted. So LG will hardly/never get a clue, that it has ever been rooted.
    Dont forget to format your SD card as well ;)

How to install Custom ROM's​

First of all, you need a rooted phone already. See above, how to do it ;)
    Then you need to install CWM (Clock Work Mod), you can do this e.g. by downloading ROM Manager, install it, open it
    and find Install Clockwork Mod Recovery. Hit it, wait some seconds and click LGE optimus Black. Wait again, till the file has been downloaded and installed and your all set ;) Now you can reboot into Recovery, with the second option. It says, what it does: Reboot to recovery :)
    Now grab the ROM you desire the most and download the zip. Plug your phone to the PC (via USB) open up the folder of your SD card, and copy the file you downloaded in there. Dont copy it into a subfolder, since it will only be harder to find.
    Now go back to ROM Manager and click reboot recovery, or if you have adb installed, just type reboot recovery in a terminal on your pc.
    You are in recovery menu now.
    First of all do a nandroid backup (explained on top). To do so, go to Backup and Restore, then Backup and wait.
    It will now make a complete backup of the whole system, settings, and so on.
    If something goes wrong during the installation of the new ROM, you can simply revert back to the state you had before.
    Your ready to install the new ROM now.
    Now it depends, on if you only update a ROM, like CM, or if you install a completely new ROM.
    If you install a new ROM, do a full wipe. This means, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, go to advanced, wipe dalvik, wipe battery stats and go back. now select install zip from SD card. Then choose zip from sdcard and then select the file you downloaded.
    Wait till all is set up and enjoy your new ROM :D
    If you only update a ROM, follow the instructions given in the thread about the ROM.

What to do if the Update failed?
    Well it depends on how much you failed, what u had installed before and if Huexxx Recovery fix was applied.

First scenario:
    Huexxx's patch was applied in the ROM before.
    This enables to boot to recovery by repeatedly pushing a hard key, like volume- or g-key directly after you start the phone.
    Push em fast, while the softkeys are flashing(turn on and off). As soon as they stop flashing, you will be in recovery and can either restore a backup, or install another zip file.

Second scenario:
    CWM is still enterable via adb.
    You first of all need to download and "install" ADB.
    Best will be, to simply extract the files to C: and also rename the new folder to a short term like "ADB" without "".
    Then open the command prompt, navigate to the folder of adb: e.g.
    Code:
    C:
    cd ADB
    cd adb
    Now you should be in the adb folder, where you can find adb.exe and some other files.
    If not, check out, how it is called and navigate there in another way.
    "cd" means change directory, so if you didnt rename it to ADB, but e.g. ADB-sdk, type cd ADB-sdk instead.
    Ok, now simply type adb reboot recovery and wait.
    Now your phone should restart to Recovery Mode.
    But watch out, if you do this with a working ROM, and forgot to install CWM, you will get a factory reset!

Third scenario:
    None of the above worked. Then you have no chance, but to to use the unbricking method below. Then root your device, install CWM and you can have a new try ;)

Unbricking:​

Your Phone doesnt boot anmore or only shows the LG screen contantly!​

If your phone is stuck in bootloop, have a look in here: SMARTFLASHTOOL
    You can download the patched V20s from ABOVE or take the v10a from here

Flash with R&D Tool:
    The upper is the easier and faster solution, but if you really need R&D Testtool, because Smartflash didnt help, grab R&D tool HERE(it's in the package), and then follow THIS guide

You can also use the latter method, if you wanna return your phone on warranty. But I would make a Factory reset afterwards anyway. And don't forget to remove all files from your SD card as well, since this could show them as well, that the phone might have been rooted.

Themes And Apps

Themes are modifications to the look of your UI (UserInterface). This gives your Operating System a different Look.
    There are a lot of things, you need to pay attention to.
    For example there are ODEXED = easier on space, tougher on tweaking and ram usage (just a short explanation)
    and Deodexed = easier to tweak, lighter on ram, heavier on space
    Find more information on this HERE
    Now you need to know, if your ROM is odexed, or deodexed. You mostly find information on this directly in the thread of the ROM you are using (see above).
    If you know what kind of ROM you are using, go to the Themes link above and choose whatever you like. There is almost always written, for which specific ROM this was made (e.g. Zeus ROM, Stock GB, stock Froyo,...) And mostly, if you need a odexed or deodexed Version of a ROM, or not.
    It's pretty much like odexed files also work on deodexed Software, but not the other way around. (NOT ALWAYS)
    Then you encounter bugs like missing statusbar, display bugs, glitches, ...
    So check if the theme you are willing to try will REALLY work for your device.
    If you wanna make your own Themes, check out UOT KITCHEN Or these two threads: HERE AND HERE Credits to gabwerkz and Huexxx.

More to come, leave comments with topics, I am supposed to add, or critics ;)

To come
    • Whatever you want me to post here ;)

Couldnt find what you were looking for? Did you already use the search in upper right corner? :D

If not, go to Q&A section and post your questions there pls.
    Only post here, if I am supposed to add something, or explain it a better way :)

AND THANK ME IF IT HELPED YOU OUT!
    Catching a logcat:
    Whenever you QQ (cry) around because anything doesnt work, every dev can only guess, what s your problem. If you wanna provide the necessary information to him, give him a logcat and he will be happy and fix the bug you are getting.

Ricardo Cerqueira once posted this pic about this topic
    attachment.php

So here is what you need to do, before you report the next bug/error to your dev.
    1. Download QtADB from HERE (Find their HP here: http://qtadb.wordpress.com/)

2. Extract it to some place you wanna have it.
    3. Now Open QtADB.exe
    4. Connect your phone in debug mode
    5. Click logcat on the left side (it's the last one)
    6. Now Reproduce the problem, that you have, like force closes or other stuff.
    7. Maybe reproduce it a second time
    8. Push ctrl+A to mark all the lines
    9. Right click it and choose, export selected to file
    10. Save it to a place, where you can refind it.
    11. Upload it somewhere (e.g. mediafire.com)
    12. Post in the corresponding thread and give them a description of the error, so they know, what they need to look for and the link to the uploaded logcat.

This will improve a lot of ROMs around here, cause everyone uses it, but hardly anyone (including myself) can contribute to cooking/deving. So do us all the favour, that if you experiance an error and it's cause by the ROM and not a buggy installation, make a logcat and post it to the threads of the devs ;)

Here is how it typically looks (Zeus ROM v4.02 + LG kernel without dimming light):

Code:
    01:05:11.781 Error LockPatternKeyguardView 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:344:onReceive()] showAlmostAtAccountLoginDialog()
    01:05:11.781 Debug KeyguardUpdateMonitor 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:347:onReceive()] received broadcast android.intent.action.BATTERY_CHANGED
    01:05:11.781 Debug KeyguardUpdateMonitor 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:451:handleBatteryUpdate()] handleBatteryUpdate
    01:05:27.203 Error LockPatternKeyguardView 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:344:onReceive()] showAlmostAtAccountLoginDialog()
    01:05:27.203 Debug KeyguardUpdateMonitor 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:347:onReceive()] received broadcast android.intent.action.TIME_TICK
    01:05:27.203 Debug KeyguardUpdateMonitor 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:441:handleTimeUpdate()] handleTimeUpdate
    01:05:28.515 Warning Watchdog 1351  Watchdog Big Brother Watching : com.android.server.PowerManagerService
    01:05:28.515 Warning Watchdog 1351  Watchdog Big Brother Watching : com.android.server.am.ActivityManagerService
    01:05:28.515 Warning Watchdog 1351  Watchdog Big Brother Watching : com.android.server.WindowManagerService
    01:05:54.656 Error LockPatternKeyguardView 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:344:onReceive()] showAlmostAtAccountLoginDialog()
    01:05:54.656 Debug KeyguardUpdateMonitor 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:347:onReceive()] received broadcast android.intent.action.BATTERY_CHANGED
    01:05:54.656 Debug KeyguardUpdateMonitor 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:451:handleBatteryUpdate()] handleBatteryUpdate
    01:06:04.937 Error LockPatternKeyguardView 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:344:onReceive()] showAlmostAtAccountLoginDialog()
    01:06:04.937 Debug KeyguardUpdateMonitor 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:347:onReceive()] received broadcast android.intent.action.BATTERY_CHANGED
    01:06:04.937 Debug KeyguardUpdateMonitor 1351  [KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java:451:handleBatteryUpdate()] handleBatteryUpdate

Added ADB package, from my PC, which is needed from QtADB... See attachments ;)

More detailed information to come here, like governors and schedulers, ...
    A kernel is not a whole ROM! It only is additionally to a ROM, in order to tweak it ;)

Just a correction. Kernel is not an addition, it is the heart of a ROM. May it be stock or modified. ;)

Insert "A modified kernel" at the beginning without modifying your sentence. :)
    I suppose you could always say that a "custom" kernel is an addition... the stock kernel is already there.

No, it's not. It is overwritten. It's not an addition, but a replacement.