Restore Samsung Galaxy S I9000 firmware/stock ROM (Froyo 2.2.1)

Did this post help you?

• Yes

Votes: 72 80.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Kind of

Votes: 12 13.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

sheikdude

Jun 28, 2013
Thank you

I don't know. But better not try it if no one can confirm that it will work. The worst senario is that it can brick your phone. I tried a Galaxy S 2 files on my Galaxy S and it bricked my phone.

Thank you donematrix.

I have found one froyo firmware for galaxy SL. I ll post the link if I succeed.

baloch58262

Jul 5, 2013
After Restoration sim is not working

Hello sir i need help. i followed the procedure as you mentioned but after restoration my phones Sim , front camera and speaker is not working plz help

adrian1994

Apr 26, 2013
swesome tutorial , but when comes to flashing with odin i a nightmare for me , i don't know what it is but it doesn't work

donematrix

May 10, 2012
Hello sir i need help. i followed the procedure as you mentioned but after restoration my phones Sim , front camera and speaker is not working plz help

Hi, are you flashing Samsung Galaxy S? The Froyo 2.2.1 firmware used on this post/tutorial will only work for Samsung Galaxy S, not S2 or S3, etc.

If you are flashing Samsung Galaxy S, then u just need to try again. Maybe you have missed out some of the steps.

baloch58262

Jul 5, 2013
Galaxy s

Hi, are you flashing Samsung Galaxy S? The Froyo 2.2.1 firmware used on this post/tutorial will only work for Samsung Galaxy S, not S2 or S3, etc.

If you are flashing Samsung Galaxy S, then u just need to try again. Maybe you have missed out some of the steps.

yes sir i am flashing Galaxy S GT-190000. i tried several time now it is not responding feeling like dead.

freakymod2120

Jun 26, 2013
Great work:good: thank you for the detailed tutorial

Introduction

There are a lot of information on the internet on how to restore Froyo 2.2.1 (the stock ROM) back to your Samsung Galaxy S I9000. However, I found that the information are scattered all over the place. Also, some of the links for downloading the necessary files/software to perform the restoration are broken. So I decided to spend some time to put all the information and files/application together, in one central location, so as to make it easier for you. I hope this post helps you. If there's anything unclear or need improvement, please leave your comments/suggestions, and I will try my best to make this post better and more understandable.

My step by step instructions

The step by step below is what I have done to restore Froyo 2.2.1 firmware back to my Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). If you follow the steps exactly you should restore your Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) stock ROM back to your phone successfully. However, who knows, there may be strange cases that it might not work on your phone, since there are so many different versions of Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). But let’s cross our figures and hope that the steps below work on your phone. In any case, I do not take any responsibility on whatever happens to your phone after you have followed the steps below. You should only continue if you agree to be responsible to whatever happens to your phone.

I performed the steps below without removing the SIM or the memory card from my Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). So you can as well leave them inside your phone.

Section A: What you need

Odin3 v1.7 or Odin3 v1.82 is the program that you will run on Windows to restore the Stock ROM onto your Samsung Galaxy S. If the name/file name of the Stock ROM you are downloading includes the letters/word sbl, then you will need to download Odin3 v1.82. Else, you need to download Odin3 v1.7. sbl means bootloader.

s1_odin_20100512 PIT is the file that tells Odin3 how to partition the ROM of your Samsung Galaxy S. For details go to this link.

Download any Froyo 2.2.1 firmware from the link above. I have tried 5 different Froyo 2.2.1 firmwares from the link and all 5 of them worked on my Samsung Galaxy S. One of the 5 was from Asia which I could set my phone to display in Chinese. At the end I restored my phone to XWJSD/XXJPY/OXXJS6/Sbl Froyo 2.2.1 firmware since it was the latest Froyo 2.2.1 firmware when I was trying to restore a Samsung Galaxy S firmware/stock ROM.

Section B: Restore Samsung Galaxy S I9000 stock ROM/firmware - Froyo 2.2.1

Do this step after you have all the necessary files downloaded from Section A.

1. Install Samsung USB driver on your computer.
  2. Install 7-Zip.
  3. Use 7-Zip to extract Froyo 2.2.1 firmware to a folder. After the extraction you should see 3 files with file extention .tar.md5.
  4. Open Odin3 v1.7 or Odin3 v1.82 (depending on which one you have downloaded), and follow the steps below. To see an example of how Ordin3 works go to this link.
    1. Hold Samsung Galaxy S I9000 in your hand and turn it off, while it’s still in your hand wait till it vibrates (after approximately 4 to 7 seconds), because that’s when it’s really turned off. If it didn’t vibrate then take out the battery to make sure that it’s completely turned off. Then put back the battery.
    2. Connect your phone to your computer with a cable.
    3. Put your phone to download mode. To do that, hold down "volume down", "home", then the "power" key/button - do not release these three keys until an Android and a yellow triangle image appears on the screen.
    4. On Odin3 there are several columns of rectangles. Now the rectangle below the bigger rectangle on the first column should turn yellow.
    5. Now select the PIT file, PDA file, PHONE file, and CSC file by clicking the PIT, PDA, PHONE, and CSC buttons.
    6. Now click Start button.
    7. Now you should see activity on the first column of Ordin3. You should see a green progress bar. On Samsung Galaxy S you should see a white progress bar. Do not disconnect your phone from the computer at this point. After it is completed, your phone will restart automatically and it will load into recovery mode.
  5. In recovery mode use your volume down button to select “wipe data/factory reset” and tap the home key to confirm. Then select “wipe cache partition” and tap the home key to confirm. Then select “reboot system now” and tap the home key to confirm. Now your phone should boot up normally.
  6. Congradulations! You have successfully restored Samsung Galaxy S I9000 firmware/stock ROM (Froyo 2.2.1).

If you find this helpful and would like to make a donation (even as little as $1) please go to PayPal and under Personal tab click "Send Payment" and send the donation to donematrix@yahoo.com. Thank you very much for your support.

Section C: Rooting Samsung Galaxy S

1. Put your Samsung Galaxy S to Debug mode. To do that follow these steps: home screen -> menu key -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.
  2. Put your phone to Mass Storage. To do that follow these steps: home screen -> menu -> Wireless and network -> USB settings -> Mass storage.
  3. Open SuperOneClick v2.3.3.0 and following these steps below. For an example of how to use SuperOneClick v2.3.3.0, go to this link.
    1. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable.
    2. On your phone you should see an Adroid with an USB hand, click connect.
    3. On SuperOneClick click Root. Now you should see activity.
    4. When it’s done it will display a massage saying if you want to run a test. Click yes.
    5. Click Ok on the next prompt.
    6. Then it will display another message saying if you want to donate. It’s up to you.
  4. Now your Samsung Galaxy S I9000 should be rooted!

If your answer to the poll "Did this post help you?" is "No" or "Kind of" please post a comment to explain your answer, so I can make it better. Thanks.

Have a wonderful day!!!

tharonny

Feb 18, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 8
First of all thank you for making this tutorial. When I used the i9000 it was running android 4.2.2, but since I gave it to my dad he wants to have android 2.2.1 (same as his galaxy mini). Now I managed to install 2.3.6 stable, but I want to downgrade it to 2.2.1 now.

Its a unbranded dutch phone. Now I can download a unbranded rom from sammobile, but that one comes without modem and to be honest I have no idea if these are compatible with each orther.

So now I am very intrested in your tutorial for downgrading, but I still wonder. Can you tell me which Froyo package I need for a dutch unbranded phone?
And I also would like to know if its possible to flash a branded rom on a unbranded phone?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

donematrix

May 10, 2012
First of all thank you for making this tutorial. When I used the i9000 it was running android 4.2.2, but since I gave it to my dad he wants to have android 2.2.1 (same as his galaxy mini). Now I managed to install 2.3.6 stable, but I want to downgrade it to 2.2.1 now.

Its a unbranded dutch phone. Now I can download a unbranded rom from sammobile, but that one comes without modem and to be honest I have no idea if these are compatible with each orther.

So now I am very intrested in your tutorial for downgrading, but I still wonder. Can you tell me which Froyo package I need for a dutch unbranded phone?
And I also would like to know if its possible to flash a branded rom on a unbranded phone?

Thank you very much!

Sorry, but I don't understand. Are you going to flash your Samsung Galaxy S I9000? If so, what do you mean that your phone is a dutch unbranded phone?

tharonny

Feb 18, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 8
Hi. Indeed, im trying to flash a i9000. This phone came without simlock/brand so its unlocked.

Now I want to flash FROYO on it, but you gave a link which shows loads of different roms. I have no idea which one I have to download.
I was wondering if you could help me with this.

donematrix

May 10, 2012
Hi. Indeed, im trying to flash a i9000. This phone came without simlock/brand so its unlocked.

Now I want to flash FROYO on it, but you gave a link which shows loads of different roms. I have no idea which one I have to download.
I was wondering if you could help me with this.

You can use anyone of the ROMs. I tried many of them and all of them that I tried worked on my i9000.

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Didn't work with my i9000

Hi, thanks- maybe it was just my device but it didn't work for me that way (tried to downgrade from cm 10.1 back to my old rooted Froyo 2.2, due to contacts, which I've forgotten to synchronize so needed my old nandroid backup)

The Odin was always freezing as soon as I clicked "start". I had to solve it different way....

EDIT 2013-09-13: I see now, long time later that I wasn't clear, my phone was soft-bricked and I tried to restore it, this tutorial is otherways just amazing! Bravo, thanks for posting it :)

(In my next post is describe how to unbrick the i9000 if download mode is still available.)

Last edited:

donematrix

May 10, 2012
Hi, thanks- maybe it was just my device but it didn't work for me that way (tried to downgrade from cm 10.1 back to my old rooted Froyo 2.2, due to contacts, which I've forgotten to synchronize so needed my old nandroid backup)

The Odin was always freezing as soon as I clicked "start". I had to solve it different way....

Thanks for pointing this out, but can you share the way you did it.

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Different workflow: step by step

Thanks for pointing this out, but can you share the way you did it.

OK, I will post the workflow how I did it, just to explain my situation as first: my phone was lightly bricked by downgrade from CyanogenMod.

I have used rooted Froyo 2.2 with SpeedMod kernel on my i9000 (500MHz, CWM 2.5.1.2) and it worked just great. But as I am otherwise big fan of CM10 (using it on my Tab 2) i just had to try to flash it to my i9000. The flashing worked great just like described in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2039755
But the problem was, that in my optimism I simply forgot to backup my SMS, call logs and contacts so I wanted to return to my 2.2 via nandroid backup to do it. I've tried to do it just by wiping/factory reset/cache and tried after that to restore my old nandroid backup. But it almost bricked my i9000 as it has damaged system data and I've lost all but download mode.

So for anybody who may also nearly bricked the i9000 in similar situation, after many unsuccessful tries (in the most of cases Odin freezed by attempt to flash anything) finally successful workflow how I restored it, step by step- hopefully it will help somebody:

Before start:
a. make sure that the drivers of your i9000 are installed on the PC you will use for this before you start!
b. enable USB debugging on your device
c. make nandroid backup of your cm 10.1 (and hopefully you did before Nandroid backup of your old system)
d. recommended is to copy all your backup files from your internal and external SD card to your PC
e. run now CWM recovery and wipe /factory reset and wipe/cache partition
(people who own Galaxy Note 2 are lucky and have zip file that reverts the cm 10.1 back to old version:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2121931
but this DOESN'T WORK with the i9000)

1. Flash the Pit file like described in this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29480333

2. Use Odin 1.0 to flash PDA file following way:
put same PIT data like under step 1
put under PDA archived stock ROM from here:
http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-I9000#
(for my device the proper one was fifth, 2.2 for Austria)
- start your device in download mode and connect it now
- as soon as Odin has recognized your device, click "start"

After this step, my i9000 had again stock ROM (unrooted) which was even not bootable, as it was freezing. But it doesn't matter.
Remark: you may try also skipping step 2 and after step 1 go right to step 3. For my i9000 the unbricking didn't work with any other Odin version but 1.0

3. Used Odin 1.82 (run as administrator!) and flashed following files:
- PIT: the same file like under step 1
- under PDA, PHONE, CSC choosen the files fiting my device
I have flashed one of the 2.2.1 ROMS from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1647890
The downloaded file must be unzipped, best with 7-Zip

This time, the rebooting worked and I've got stock ROM with Froyo 2.2.1

4. Root:
- enable USB debugging under Applications/Development
- download SuperOneclick by Shortfuse and unzip it with 7-Zip
- connect your i9000 now with your PC and wait until it is recognized
- run now (unzipped!) Superoneclick as administrator and click on the left on big button "Root"
- if SuperOneclick asks to install Busybox, do it
- if the Superoneclick wants to run the test, you don't have to do it, sometimes it just freezes...
The device is rooted now!

5. Flashing the Kernel and nandroid backup to old version
- flash the kernel according to your old system/ROM/nandroid, mine was 2.2 with SpeedMod Kernel so after I've flashed my Kernel via Odin 1.82 (choose kernel in PDA, start) the device was again the way I could start my old nandroid backup :)

Happy end: now running again CM10.1 (great new one by pawitp from here: /showthread.php?t=1778526) and my i9000 works just better that ever, smooth, fast, great! I also have all my contacts, SMS, call logs and all else back ;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

There are a lot of information on the internet on how to restore Froyo 2.2.1 (the stock ROM) back to your Samsung Galaxy S I9000. However, I found that the information are scattered all over the place. Also, some of the links for downloading the necessary files/software to perform the restoration are broken. So I decided to spend some time to put all the information and files/application together, in one central location, so as to make it easier for you. I hope this post helps you. If there's anything unclear or need improvement, please leave your comments/suggestions, and I will try my best to make this post better and more understandable.

My step by step instructions

The step by step below is what I have done to restore Froyo 2.2.1 firmware back to my Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). If you follow the steps exactly you should restore your Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) stock ROM back to your phone successfully. However, who knows, there may be strange cases that it might not work on your phone, since there are so many different versions of Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). But let’s cross our figures and hope that the steps below work on your phone. In any case, I do not take any responsibility on whatever happens to your phone after you have followed the steps below. You should only continue if you agree to be responsible to whatever happens to your phone.

I performed the steps below without removing the SIM or the memory card from my Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). So you can as well leave them inside your phone.

Section A: What you need

Odin3 v1.7 or Odin3 v1.82 is the program that you will run on Windows to restore the Stock ROM onto your Samsung Galaxy S. If the name/file name of the Stock ROM you are downloading includes the letters/word sbl, then you will need to download Odin3 v1.82. Else, you need to download Odin3 v1.7. sbl means bootloader.

s1_odin_20100512 PIT is the file that tells Odin3 how to partition the ROM of your Samsung Galaxy S. For details go to this link.

Download any Froyo 2.2.1 firmware from the link above. I have tried 5 different Froyo 2.2.1 firmwares from the link and all 5 of them worked on my Samsung Galaxy S. One of the 5 was from Asia which I could set my phone to display in Chinese. At the end I restored my phone to XWJSD/XXJPY/OXXJS6/Sbl Froyo 2.2.1 firmware since it was the latest Froyo 2.2.1 firmware when I was trying to restore a Samsung Galaxy S firmware/stock ROM.

Section B: Restore Samsung Galaxy S I9000 stock ROM/firmware - Froyo 2.2.1

Do this step after you have all the necessary files downloaded from Section A.

1. Install Samsung USB driver on your computer.
    2. Install 7-Zip.
    3. Use 7-Zip to extract Froyo 2.2.1 firmware to a folder. After the extraction you should see 3 files with file extention .tar.md5.
    4. Open Odin3 v1.7 or Odin3 v1.82 (depending on which one you have downloaded), and follow the steps below. To see an example of how Ordin3 works go to this link.
      1. Hold Samsung Galaxy S I9000 in your hand and turn it off, while it’s still in your hand wait till it vibrates (after approximately 4 to 7 seconds), because that’s when it’s really turned off. If it didn’t vibrate then take out the battery to make sure that it’s completely turned off. Then put back the battery.
      2. Connect your phone to your computer with a cable.
      3. Put your phone to download mode. To do that, hold down "volume down", "home", then the "power" key/button - do not release these three keys until an Android and a yellow triangle image appears on the screen.
      4. On Odin3 there are several columns of rectangles. Now the rectangle below the bigger rectangle on the first column should turn yellow.
      5. Now select the PIT file, PDA file, PHONE file, and CSC file by clicking the PIT, PDA, PHONE, and CSC buttons.
      6. Now click Start button.
      7. Now you should see activity on the first column of Ordin3. You should see a green progress bar. On Samsung Galaxy S you should see a white progress bar. Do not disconnect your phone from the computer at this point. After it is completed, your phone will restart automatically and it will load into recovery mode.
    5. In recovery mode use your volume down button to select “wipe data/factory reset” and tap the home key to confirm. Then select “wipe cache partition” and tap the home key to confirm. Then select “reboot system now” and tap the home key to confirm. Now your phone should boot up normally.
    6. Congradulations! You have successfully restored Samsung Galaxy S I9000 firmware/stock ROM (Froyo 2.2.1).

If you find this helpful and would like to make a donation (even as little as $1) please go to PayPal and under Personal tab click "Send Payment" and send the donation to donematrix@yahoo.com. Thank you very much for your support.

Section C: Rooting Samsung Galaxy S

1. Put your Samsung Galaxy S to Debug mode. To do that follow these steps: home screen -> menu key -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.
    2. Put your phone to Mass Storage. To do that follow these steps: home screen -> menu -> Wireless and network -> USB settings -> Mass storage.
    3. Open SuperOneClick v2.3.3.0 and following these steps below. For an example of how to use SuperOneClick v2.3.3.0, go to this link.
      1. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable.
      2. On your phone you should see an Adroid with an USB hand, click connect.
      3. On SuperOneClick click Root. Now you should see activity.
      4. When it’s done it will display a massage saying if you want to run a test. Click yes.
      5. Click Ok on the next prompt.
      6. Then it will display another message saying if you want to donate. It’s up to you.
    4. Now your Samsung Galaxy S I9000 should be rooted!

If your answer to the poll "Did this post help you?" is "No" or "Kind of" please post a comment to explain your answer, so I can make it better. Thanks.

Have a wonderful day!!!
    I need help, i tried to flash Froyo on my Galaxy S (i was on CM 10.1) and then after Flashing is complete, i did everything in the recovery like it says, but when galaxy S logo passes, i am stuck at black screen ?? Any help please....

Did you flash it with PIT file, PDA file, PHONE file, and CSC file. If you didn't, just follow the steps again to flash.
    Yes I did, but it looks like I had problem with FROYO ROM i tried to flash, something with dbdata file, but now i flashed Gingerbread XXJV9 and phone works fine :D

great dat the problem is solved.
    Can I use this same firmware to restore my galaxy SL (GT i9003) to froyo??

please reply

I don't know. But better not try it if no one can confirm that it will work. The worst senario is that it can brick your phone.

When my Galaxy S was having memory problem, I tried retoring it with Galaxy S files, but still having the memory problem. So I decided to try files from a different phone. I tried the Galaxy S 2 files on my Galaxy S and it bricked my phone. My Galaxy S could not b turned on. I took it to 3 phone stores who do phone repares, and none can revive the phone. The phone died, just like that.
    using odin i got FAILED in the first segment, now the phone is disconnected and it has no os.
    download mode wont start via previous methods.
    when i connect phone it shows empty battery and frozen charging animation.
    when i turn on phone i gets stuck to "samsung s gt i 9000" screen and stays like that even when connected.

any tips?
    thanks in advance