[Q] Need development help

Search This thread

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
Anyone that thinks I may be right should "thank" me for this post...

I see 2 problems keeping development down on this device (Raphael)... :(

1. Memory mapping has to be done. I see no progress in this area. If I had the proper GUI or even DOS program I might be able to help. Of course, lack of development could be related to...

2. Noone really wants to pay to unlock their phone for development reasons. I can understand hard work, but MTTY and Task2a aren't really all that hard to use.

Thoughts, ideas, complaints?

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Are you talking about flashing to NAND?

A few RHOD devs have started it, and it seems BLAC has picked up a new kernel dev and they have it booting to about he same state as all GSM RHOD's (no service..)

I would like to see NAND on all devices, but in reality a dev with each device needs to take up the cause... No dev with a RAPH has tried AFAIK. I would certainly love to facilitate any flow of knowledge necessary from the RHOD NAND project. I'm certainly not a developer on the project, but I do help with testing and I work closely with the devs (as closely as I can :p)

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
I am speaking of putting it on NAND. Seeing as we have squeezed an entire install plus data and apps onto a Kaiser, I'm fairly sure we could get a working build pretty quickly if someone could port the Kaisers kernel and change the memory map.

I propose this...

1st partition for kernel, no more than 5mb in size. The kernel we use on the Kaiser is only 3,092kb, so this would fit even if we had to add anything to the kernel such as accelerometer support and FM radio drivers.
2nd partition for /system files, just to keep it relatively close to the kernel partition. This one could be set to 128mb to allow the larger builds room to "breathe". Also, the extra drivers needed for the extra hardware will need room, hence partition size increase.
3rd partition will need 32mb for /cache. One of the drawbacks to running Android on the Kaiser was that if anything failed and the phone crashed, you would lose data. This was mostly due to having a live cache partition built inside the /data partition.
Scooter1556 has found a way to make a 20mb partition using part of the /data partition. Yes we lose 20mb out of 110, but the gains in stability and data integrity are well worth it, and newer builds of Android require a 30mb cache partition.
4th partition for /data. Do the math; could you fill 347mb of data on your WM6.1-6.5 phone? Not music, not movies, actual data? Apps from the Market, your contacts, text messages (if you save them), and anything else related to data? I couldn't, but that might be from running a phone with 40-50mb available for data...

I might be pissing in the wind but I think it's quite possible to do, just don't see much demand for it.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
I am speaking of putting it on NAND. Seeing as we have squeezed an entire install plus data and apps onto a Kaiser, I'm fairly sure we could get a working build pretty quickly if someone could port the Kaisers kernel and change the memory map.

I propose this...

I might be pissing in the wind but I think it's quite possible to do, just don't see much demand for it.

If you're willing to do it, so be it. It's just not easy and there aren't many devs with the device - I think everyone (well, mostly everyone) would prefer to be rid of WinMo and just boot Android... but that's a big task, converting from HaRET...

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
After doing some much needed research, I found out something..
The HTC Dream/G1 uses the EXACT same processor, GPU, LPDDR RAM, phone controller, BT, WiFi and GPS module as the Raphael.

Whats missing, you ask?

A trackball and memory map to match. The Raphael actually has better specs than the G1 and I see cooks building roms based on 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) for that device.

There are a few extra keys on the keyboard which need mapping (swipe from HaRet version, maybe?), and the trackball would have to be converted to a D-pad. Everything else matches!

May not even need to build a kernel, the HTC Dream Dev edition has their ROMs' and radios online... I already downloaded them and will play more tomorrow.

(Crossing my fingers)... :)

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
After doing some much needed research, I found out something..
The HTC Dream/G1 uses the EXACT same processor, GPU, LPDDR RAM, phone controller, BT, WiFi and GPS module as the Raphael.

Whats missing, you ask?

A trackball and memory map to match. The Raphael actually has better specs than the G1 and I see cooks building roms based on 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) for that device.

There are a few extra keys on the keyboard which need mapping (swipe from HaRet version, maybe?), and the trackball would have to be converted to a D-pad. Everything else matches!

May not even need to build a kernel, the HTC Dream Dev edition has their ROMs' and radios online... I already downloaded them and will play more tomorrow.

(Crossing my fingers)... :)

Good luck. I'm not sure that stuff is identical & translatable directly, but have at it - just be careful, when playing with NAND there's very special portions of the memory that you should not touch, lest you have a brick.

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
Again, MTTY is not very hard to negotiate, and since the processor is similar to the Kaiser I should have no problems there.

I am looking into the "boot.bin" file right now to see where the signatures are and to see if there are "way points" for the memory mapping.

Will report back soon but I also need to grab the memory map from the WM6.1/6.5 build ROMS, so it could be an all-day affair...

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Again, MTTY is not very hard to negotiate, and since the processor is similar to the Kaiser I should have no problems there.

I am looking into the "boot.bin" file right now to see where the signatures are and to see if there are "way points" for the memory mapping.

Will report back soon but I also need to grab the memory map from the WM6.1/6.5 build ROMS, so it could be an all-day affair...

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Good luck! I wish you well :)

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
Got the memory mapping done, just have to figure out how to post to the kernel and figure out how to CID unlock without PAYING for it...

Memory map as follows:

Code:
457.75M (0x1c9c0000) DSK1:
| 3.12M (0x31f000) Part00
| 4.50M (0x480000) Part01
| 126.50M (0x7e80000) Part02
| 323.63M (0x143a0000) Part03

I wish l1q1d and scoot were looking, this is about as far as I will get without help.

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
Different screen but same exact GPU...

Dream G1 is 320x480 @ 16BPP 180.9 Dot pitch and uses Qualcomm Adreno 130.

Raphael is 480x640 @16BPP 290.3 Dot pitch and uses Qualcomm Adreno 130.

The "never sleep" issue is only a command, but that command also slows the core speed of the CPU down to save power as well since the GPU is also controlled by the CPU. The problem with not waking up is because Android has a wierd way of holding the panel command on or off.

P3 Droid (a clock speed mod) had a way to not only overclock but underclock the Droid. In an attempt to port this to the Kaiser it would fall back but never return to full speed, locking the phone up and requiring a soft reset. Once I restored my build back to normal it went back to a somewhat normal operation (back then we still had kernel issues and alot of other bugs).

What I need now is a full phone unlocker for thr Raphael that doesn't require an IMEI number... anyone have one?...

Last edited:

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Dream G1 is 320x480 @ 16BPP 180.9 Dot pitch and uses Qualcomm Adreno 130.

Raphael is 480x640 @16BPP 290.3 Dot pitch and uses Qualcomm Adren 130.

So for that (among many other) reason(s) you can't just plop a G1 kernel onto our devices and expect it to work. I would think that anything that can be borrowed, has been. I know they look at that device, the Hero, and I believe the Sapphire... Not sure what others, maybe Tattoo?

I don't think there's a single Android phone with these paltry RAM/CPU specs and such a high-resolution screen. I think that may be one of the reasons graphics are so poor, it has to work so much harder to render!

What I need now is a full phone unlocker for thr Raphael that doesn't require an IMEI number... anyone have one?...

You mean more than just HSPL...?

Last edited:

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
Yes, more than HSPL... I need to CID unlock the phone because even with "unsigned" roms they can't flash. I'm guessing the phone is looking for that CID, and if it either isn't there or doesn't match it will not flash.

I tried using HTC's diagnostics SD from the Artemis and Hermes, neither worked because the CID doesn't match, even after I stripped the CID identifier from the diagnostics tool.

Will dig in more tonight, 2 days on this so far and I'm burnt...lol.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Yes, more than HSPL... I need to CID unlock the phone because even with "unsigned" roms they can't flash. I'm guessing the phone is looking for that CID, and if it either isn't there or doesn't match it will not flash.

I tried using HTC's diagnostics SD from the Artemis and Hermes, neither worked because the CID doesn't match, even after I stripped the CID identifier from the diagnostics tool.

Will dig in more tonight, 2 days on this so far and I'm burnt...lol.

Yea, always a good idea to take a break and hit it fresh another time.

As for the CID unlock, I'm not sure I can help you with that - first because I don't know how, and second if it's illegal.. don't ask on this site :eek:.

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
CID unlock is only a "security" lock from a manufacturer to keep people from flashing the wrong rom to their device, IE flashing a Diamond rom to the Raphael.

If I had it unlocked, I could try flashing the original Dream bootloader for 1.6 to the Raphael. If I brick it I can get it back through MTTY and OEMSPL.

BTW,
the screen resolution and DPI is set in the kernel BEFORE any boot even takes place. If someone had enough "cahones" to mess with it in HEX editor they could find the values and change them to 480x640 16BPP 290DPI.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
CID unlock is only a "security" lock from a manufacturer to keep people from flashing the wrong rom to their device, IE flashing a Diamond rom to the Raphael.

If I had it unlocked, I could try flashing the original Dream bootloader for 1.6 to the Raphael. If I brick it I can get it back through MTTY and OEMSPL.

BTW,
the screen resolution and DPI is set in the kernel BEFORE any boot even takes place. If someone had enough "cahones" to mess with it in HEX editor they could find the values and change them to 480x640 16BPP 290DPI.

Heh. All you dude, you seem to have all sorts of cahones ;).

Keep it up, RAPH users need hope like this :D.

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
Sorry guys and gals, been way too busy in MTTY trying to unbrick my secondary Kaiser... Almost done though. Will also be able to CID unlock the Raphael with this as well.

What I need is to see how much interest there would be in developing a custom-compiled OEMSBL for the Raphael, possibly crossing over to other phones.

I would want to use either the LK Pistachio or, for obvious reasons, the newer OLK4 v3.0 MicroKernel, to be used to run the Dream/Magic bootloaders and at least Android 1.6, or even "cupcake" for that matter.

There is enough development in the Dream G1 forum to run with after that.

WHO WANTS IN?

There is enough documentation on the MSM7201A and MK to do this, I just don't have the compiling skills in Linux to do it. Matter of factly, there's not too much difference between the MSM7201A and the 7200A, being they are the same family but different build processes (65nm vs 90nm, i believe), AT commands are the same via what I've gleaned from their respective build sheets (I have both in .pdf format).

Hope I get some help because if I don't phones will be installed in teeth by the time I get done with it...lol.

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
I just realized something...
The memory map for the Kaiser is similar in the fact that OEMBL (microlinux) goes into PART 0, the kernel (nand install) goes into PART 1, /system can go into PART 2 and /data can go to PART 3 with a 30mb /cache partition at the beginning or end.

I need help porting this, changing the Kaiser kernel to read CNG_003 and remapping memory. The only other thing would be getting the proper drivers for the D-pad (non-touch, never liked that anyway), the screen size is a non-issue since whatever you feed it it will display, at least thats how it works on the Kaiser...

Reactions: arrrghhh

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
The memory map for the Kaiser is similar in the fact that OEMBL (microlinux) goes into PART 0, the kernel (nand install) goes into PART 1, /system can go into PART 2 and /data can go to PART 3 with a 30mb /cache partition at the beginning or end.

I need help porting this, changing the Kaiser kernel to read CNG_003 and remapping memory. The only other thing would be getting the proper drivers for the D-pad (non-touch, never liked that anyway), the screen size is a non-issue since whatever you feed it it will display, at least thats how it works on the Kaiser...

Nice! I like seeing posts like this :p.

Have you talked with any of the folks on #htc-linux or #xdandroid? There's usually someone there that's knowledgeable and can help. Not always, but usually ;).

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
Here's what I've figured out so far...
Since no "open-source" CID unlock tool exists for this phone, noone can unlock it's capabilities by using Android to it's full extent. I looked into decompiling a paid unlock tool but I don't have C++ installed on any of my machines just yet. When I do I'll go hunting again.
I would have to create a new rootfs or just use the tinboot with a partition layout similar to what I posted above. The motivation is there, I just lack the tools to do it correctly and efficiently.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.