RED LED of Death - Guide to get phone back up and running

Search This thread

mrtim123

Jul 28, 2010
Newcastle
Hey all,

Surely at some point we have all gone to pick up our x10's and seen nothing on the screen and a blinking red led when you try to turn it on.
Immediatly thoughts of Phone Death and End of the World will undoubtably echo through our minds. Fear not!

Well, this happened to me on the weekend again (a few times now) so i thought i'd try a few different ways of getting it back up again and i think i nailed it first go :)

1. Yank battery out
2. connect charger and wait for green charging led
3. insert battery and wait for charging icon to appear in screen* (SE logo first, then Charging screen)
4. power phone on with cable still connected. Phone will boot as normal and continue charging.
5. celebrate avoidance of mobile technology isolation with a few cold ones :)

Hope that helps someone!

* For what its worth, i am running Zdzihu's 2.2 Beta4, but i think this should work on most. Only thing that might be different would be the charging icon does not appear on some ROMS. That i cannot answer but is probably worth a shot anyway :)

Tim.

Rohveric

Feb 7, 2011
Hi,

I am facing the same issue as mentioned above but unable to resolve it.

I tried the steps mentioned:

1. Yanked battery out
2. connected charger and waited for green charging led

But for me the green charging led does not come up!!

What could be the issue?

agentJBM

Nov 30, 2010
Orlando
I don't quite understand. Are you saying that X10's are just suddenly and mysteriously dying? I've never heard of this or had it happen to me on stock firmware. The way you described it sounds like you always leave your screen on. Maybe that's the problem, or it's because 2.2 custom ROMs are completely stable yet? :Confused?

zaryab

Sep 30, 2010
Kaiserslautern
sumtimes strange things happens
i charged the battery completly 100% den wipeout the battery
rubb it in my palmm ...insert it back
turn on the phone it says 3 % charged RED led starts blinking :D
ahahahahahahaha..
wipe out battery rub again placing it back it says 100%

will.m

Jul 9, 2010
Hi,

1. Yanked battery out

What could be the issue?

Or it could be that your USB port is broken.

nrmr82

Jun 14, 2010
same issue...

i don't think usb is broken...coz the phone went dead when i was playing a game...there was no issue with the usb port then...

when i charge the RED light blinks...

if i remove the battery and place it back and swith it on RED light blinks again but for 3 times....and no display....

i've been searchin solution for this issue on sonyericsson support forums and xda support forums but no solution that i came across works...

does this mean that xperia x10 dies just by playing games? phone freezes and dies....weird!!

mrtim123

Jul 28, 2010
Newcastle
this was some time ago for me, and has not happened since, but i was thinking about it recently and i was actually thinking it was heat related. i was charging (at the time it died last time) via usb-pc connection, and that always gets really hot. maybe its a thermal heat saving thing?

simacid

Feb 19, 2011
D-town
this was some time ago for me, and has not happened since, but i was thinking about it recently and i was actually thinking it was heat related. i was charging (at the time it died last time) via usb-pc connection, and that always gets really hot. maybe its a thermal heat saving thing?

You should avoid charging via usb on PC...it never charges battery properly and is recommended when you only want to charge your phone to do it via charger, not PC usb.

Prodeje79

Dec 29, 2008
Ohio
You should avoid charging via usb on PC...it never charges battery properly and is recommended when you only want to charge your phone to do it via charger, not PC usb.

Where is the data on this?

I just discovered as of yesterday, that my Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpad T400 only has one good USB port as far as my X10a is concerned. The other 2 ports appear to connect, but the charge still falls down.

My best port is on the left side, further back of the two.

I am using rendeiro2005's [MOD/ROM)scamble_v01[CM6.1.3][30MAR]
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1015765

I am attempting a portion of the cycle of power as noted here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1010070
  • # Unplug Charger and do not plug back in until your phone dies
    # Reboot into recovery once it is dead by connecting charger
    # Wipe battery stats
    # Charge to 100% and repeat the discharging, wiping, and charging process about 3-5 times

In attempt to make sure my battery was drained, I kept turning my phone on.
This led to my flashing red LED of death.
I attempted this workaround, but it didn't work exactly, but close enough.
I had to pop the battery out and in and disconnect usb a few times and back in until it started charging.....

Casmo

Red flash of death:
For me it was because the connector on my phone(!), was broken.
So I send it back for repair.
A friend of mine had exact the same.

Vodafone is currently repairing mine, and made a photo of what was broken. ;p

sewtf.jpg

Now the wait till they repair it and send it back to me o_O

May 26, 2011
x10 not charging, not working at all

when i got my x10 which was sent to me thru dhl, i saw it was working before it was placed inside the box then when i get it just this morning i tried to power it on but it didn't so i charged it but nothing happened. Even the led indicator is not blinking so i tried to buy a new one. there, the indicator blinks when i power it up but still didn't work. i tried to charge my original battery thru usb for more thn 2 hours and charge it thru clipped charger for almost half day now but nothing happened. issue is still persisting. can somebody help me with these?

rshui

Mar 22, 2011
kuching
haha.. this had happen to me be4 when i flash to custom ROM. and tht time my phone battery was 34%. After flash. it show only 10% ._. how funny it is..

May 26, 2011
Hey all,

Surely at some point we have all gone to pick up our x10's and seen nothing on the screen and a blinking red led when you try to turn it on.
Immediatly thoughts of Phone Death and End of the World will undoubtably echo through our minds. Fear not!

Well, this happened to me on the weekend again (a few times now) so i thought i'd try a few different ways of getting it back up again and i think i nailed it first go :)

1. Yank battery out
3. insert battery and wait for charging icon to appear in screen* (SE logo first, then Charging screen)
4. power phone on with cable still connected. Phone will boot as normal and continue charging.

Hope that helps someone!

* For what its worth, i am running Zdzihu's 2.2 Beta4, but i think this should work on most. Only thing that might be different would be the charging icon does not appear on some ROMS. That i cannot answer but is probably worth a shot anyway :)

Tim.

i tried using these steps but nothing happened. the green led lights up but after a minute is goes out and then nothing happened.

what else can i do to turn my x10 on? i'm really losing hope for this phone. really disappointed. and i don't wanna say these but i'm starting to hate sony ericsson for not responding to these issue. i've read from different forums from different sites that a lot of same issue is happening to same brand and model yet all of these haven't responded even a single solution and that's really frustrating.

mansisingh

Aug 12, 2010
i have the same issue phone turns on on some point but battery keeps on 0% even if i charge it for more than 2 hours it doesnot goes past 0%..............I tried the genuine charger and everything

killerskincanoe

Mar 4, 2009
Sony Xperia Ion
Oppo Find 5
Hi,

1. Yanked battery out

What could be the issue?

i am in the same boat. had more than 70% when mine died... now all it does is the flashing light thing...
i kno the usb port works b/c ONE time out of probably about a 100 that i've tried, it actually worked and brought me to the charging battery screen then immediately died again...

i can't seem to get the phone to go to xRecovery OR boot into flash mode...
this is all very upsetting... :( what to do?

ffaaiissaall

Apr 11, 2011
Sargodha
Is this topic still alive.i v the same issue like other frends told.my x10 is dead.when i press power button it vibrates for less than a sec and then ..... no life.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

1. Yank battery out

Hope that helps someone!

Tim.
    Battery goes into protected sleep.

Gosh, this is still going.

OK, lets understand the problem and then look at a solution.

Problem

The battery has discharged to such a level that it has gone into sleep mode and the battery protection circuit has effectively turned the battery off to protect itself and/or the phone has it's own protection mode and it effectively blocking use of the battery.
    This is noted on an XPERIA X10i when a USB/phone charger is attached to the phone and you see a red blinking light, but it does not charge.

Solution

Jump start the battery.

To do this I use a Samsung 5V 2A output USB adapter, but any high Amperage charger would do, but must be 5Volts.
    I plug it in with the phone completely dead and after a few seconds, the phone powers up and begins to charging with 1% charge noted.
    I have observed that the XPERIA X10i has a max amperage input of around 500mAh so a 1A or 2A charger makes no difference.

Most Computer USB 2.0 ports do not provide the maximum 5V 500mA output and that goes for some Sony chargers too, so they'll probably never be able to 'jump start' a Li-ion/Li-polymer battery.
    I have a Sony DK10 Media Dock and it was not able to 'start' the battery charging and it just remained with a red flashing light.

It has also been suggested and I have verified, that if you plug the phone into a Sony supplied charger and leave it for a few hours without touching it, a serviceable battery will recover and begin to recharge. I'm to impatient for this approach, but I can say it works and after some time the red flashing light will switch to a solid red light. :eek:

Not all batteries can be recovered this way and some will be beyond recovery and just need to be replaced (or professionally recovered)
    If a battery has been left in a 'protected circuit sleep'(no charge) state for some weeks, it's probably permanently damaged and shouldn't be used.

I also have a Sony EP800 charger which provides an output of 5.0V 850mA and I have used it to recover a 'dead' (red flashing light) battery. Mostly, I just use my Logitech 5.15V/1A adapter which does the trick in a matter of seconds to start charging from 1% up.

Batteries should be stored at about 70% charge and NEVER let to go lower than 5-10% charge