Ukraine - Kyiv
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Reactions: AwkwardUberHero

murphyjasonc

Oct 19, 2014
Raleigh
Amazon Kindle Fire
Smart Watches
What does this do exactly? My wife's face unlock works but she has a constant notification to re-enroll. I told her if she did that it most likely wouldn't work unless she factory resets. Honestly the notification being there annoys me more than her but she refuses to factory reset. I would just try it and see if it was my phone but I'll be sleeping in the backyard if I screw hers up for any length of time....lol

TechOut

Aug 15, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
OnePlus Open

tmoore3496

Jul 25, 2014
Ocala
Anyone know if this will be fixed or are we stuck using 11 previews and betas if we want face unlock? I sent my pixel in under warranty like a lot of people suggested. Just got an update “device not repaired no issues found”.

i fixed this problem coming from android 11 by flashing january factory image .... works perfect again..... your welcome

Reactions: CyberpodS2

Balino

Mar 3, 2011
Gaeta
It's working for me aswell on May version. Could you explain where Is the problem? What does this module?

fuadtaufiq

Jan 18, 2020
i fixed this problem coming from android 11 by flashing january factory image .... works perfect again..... your welcome

So you are still on January update till know ?

I did the same here and worked but when i tried to update normally with OTA, the problem come back to me again

So I'm using January update and refusing update my phone for this reason

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Colorado
Google Pixel Fold
Okay there seems to be a lot of confusion from people in this thread so while I am not the OP I will try to clear things up.
  • Some people are having face unlock issues that can first be observed when setting the device up after flashing April and/or May images. During set up, it will say something along the lines of "Could not enroll face ID" or "Hardware not available" if dirty flashing one of the updates.
  • Some of us are having this issue even if we never upgraded to the Android R Developer Preview 3 or 4.
  • Others of us are having the issue after trying the DP 3/4 then rolling back to Android 10, April or May update.
The last monthly update that did not have Face Unlock issues for any of the above affected is March.

This module is created to help fix that and get Face Unlock working again and it is a Magisk Module that requires root to install.
However, a small few are still having issues even after trying this module (from my understanding).

You do not need this module if your face unlock works on April/May updates because this seems to be a kernel related issue that only affect some for a weird reason that I am too lazy to research right now. I'm sure this will be updated in the coming months.

So if you're Face Unlock doesn't work on April or May update, try this module. If it still doesn't work, you can use the March update and Face Unlock will work. There are no feature changes between now and March update. The March update include the auto dark mode, and the other feature drops from that month. Both April and May are only security patches and very minor fixes. While it is not the latest security patch you still have all the latest features.

Last edited:

tmoore3496

Jul 25, 2014
Ocala
So you are still on January update till know ?

I did the same here and worked but when i tried to update normally with OTA, the problem come back to me again

So I'm using January update and refusing update my phone for this reason

yeah April, May update breaks it, but magisk module fixes it. Temporary fix until Google fixes it.

adrianmich

Dec 25, 2014
Kissimmee
Hi! This happened to me today:
I installed the Android 11 Public Beta 1 today from June Android 10 version. I have an unlocked 4 XL. I flashed (trough fastboot) the June update and my facial recognition got broken. I did factory reset it but nothing was fixing it. I went back to Android 11 Public Beta 1 and it worked. Then I downloaded and flashed January Android 10 version and it is working right now. Will update if after setting it up and updating it to last update will still work.

DespairFactor

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
basically what this does is patches sepolicy and adds the files required for face unlock. If you run a dmesg when trying to enroll there is something blocking the process from finding the files(likely sepolicy)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Magisk module to fix broken Face Unlock on April and May builds.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qtfVb3celjrlT4qQYX_fdfBUCPsp9hbP
    Hi! This happened to me today:
    I installed the Android 11 Public Beta 1 today from June Android 10 version. I have an unlocked 4 XL. I flashed (trough fastboot) the June update and my facial recognition got broken. I did factory reset it but nothing was fixing it. I went back to Android 11 Public Beta 1 and it worked. Then I downloaded and flashed January Android 10 version and it is working right now. Will update if after setting it up and updating it to last update will still work.
    Magisk module to fix broken Face Unlock on April and May builds.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qtfVb3celjrlT4qQYX_fdfBUCPsp9hbP

Thanks it works great
    Okay there seems to be a lot of confusion from people in this thread so while I am not the OP I will try to clear things up.
    • Some people are having face unlock issues that can first be observed when setting the device up after flashing April and/or May images. During set up, it will say something along the lines of "Could not enroll face ID" or "Hardware not available" if dirty flashing one of the updates.
    • Some of us are having this issue even if we never upgraded to the Android R Developer Preview 3 or 4.
    • Others of us are having the issue after trying the DP 3/4 then rolling back to Android 10, April or May update.
    The last monthly update that did not have Face Unlock issues for any of the above affected is March.

This module is created to help fix that and get Face Unlock working again and it is a Magisk Module that requires root to install.
    However, a small few are still having issues even after trying this module (from my understanding).

You do not need this module if your face unlock works on April/May updates because this seems to be a kernel related issue that only affect some for a weird reason that I am too lazy to research right now. I'm sure this will be updated in the coming months.

So if you're Face Unlock doesn't work on April or May update, try this module. If it still doesn't work, you can use the March update and Face Unlock will work. There are no feature changes between now and March update. The March update include the auto dark mode, and the other feature drops from that month. Both April and May are only security patches and very minor fixes. While it is not the latest security patch you still have all the latest features.
    it seems like this is another related problem, but has a different reason.
    This is in known issues: https://developer.android.com/preview/release-notes#user-facing_issues

Thank you so much for the link to this!

I reported it as an issue right after I saw it, but had not heard back.

I appreciate you linking me.