Bye Bye Arc S [Bought A New Phone?! Say Bye Bye Arc S Here!]

Search This thread

mr_torture

Feb 6, 2011
Sarajevo
graphicriver.net
You can praise your HTC as much as you want, but you can't change the fact that Arc was (and probably still is) one of the sexiest smartphone designs out there. In the sea of cheap ripoffs, copy/paste unoriginal designs, this is still one of the most beautifully designed phones of all time. I'm designer myself and I know what I'm saying. Some things are matter of taste, others are matter of global consensus. ;)
Xperia Arc is among the second ones, and you think by yourself where your HTC is. Pictures says more than thousand words:

sonyericsson-xperia-arc-s.jpg

htc-one-x-1.jpg

For example, to me it's just another HTC branded phone with already overused design. Another one that in few years from now will be considered as just "another" HTC phone. The one that could impress you only by hardware on steroids, and not by appearance.

And I will never buy a phone with specifications builded to maximum just to be the "flagship-est" of all flagship phones out there. I want a beatifully (and originally if any possible) designed phone, with hardware good enough to fulfill my needs.
And I'm perfectly aware that there will allways be people with addiction of having latest and most powerfull gadgets out there in given moment.

Reactions: lord5619

szymon247

May 14, 2012
Warsaw
Yeah, Arc is really amazing on the outside. Sigh, I'm considering upgrading my Arc just because I'd like a faster processor for 2 or 3 apps and a faster camera.

Other than that there'd be no gain from switching my phone. The cameras in new phones aren't much better, same with displays and there's nothing that can touch Arc's design on the market right now. If only the CPU had a Krait core..

Okluzhion

Aug 7, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
Yeah, Arc is really amazing on the outside. Sigh, I'm considering upgrading my Arc just because I'd like a faster processor for 2 or 3 apps and a faster camera.

Other than that there'd be no gain from switching my phone. The cameras in new phones aren't much better, same with displays and there's nothing that can touch Arc's design on the market right now. If only the CPU had a Krait core..

Processor has nothing to do with that, in this case. You wouldn't get anything by getting a quad core with 512MB RAM. It's the RAM that matters. And dual/quad cores are quite unnecessary on phones as each core in dual/quad cores will always be weaker than a single core. The reason why manufacturers started producing multi core devices is because production of the processors has become very cheap. So if you're a heavy multitasker, get a phone with more RAM.

Sent from my cracksperia Arc

Dark Fable

May 10, 2011
Dubai
I'm thinking of getting the One X too by selling my Arc S. Mainly due to the fact that it can't run ICS smoothly. But I'm concerned that 1gb RAM will be an issue after a few months. :/

zezoassiri

Mar 24, 2012
^^
maybe galaxy note 2 will come with 2g of ram
for me i'll not change my arc with phone that have 1g ram

Okluzhion

Aug 7, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
I'm thinking of getting the One X too by selling my Arc S. Mainly due to the fact that it can't run ICS smoothly. But I'm concerned that 1gb RAM will be an issue after a few months. :/

Try JJ's Hybrid ROM 3.2. It's giving me the best ICS user experience ever. Don't be concerned... You're not going to use your (up to 5") phone to render some heavily edited video, are ya? I think 1GB of RAM is just perfect - anything bigger than that would just be for showing off. It's just a phone after all, with a small screen, compared with today's PC monitors.

Reactions: steveatcfs

lukesjeans

Sep 12, 2010
Port ColbOrne
I'd like to put my 2¢ in. I've owned the x10 and arc now. As of 2 weeks ago I bought the galaxy s 3. (s4 2gb ram). As this being my first phone away from Sony I can say it is faster (arc and xperia s) , but, I feel that it's ui and hardware design style is so ugly. No company can ever beat the design of Sony.. Software or hardware. Oh and I still use arc for camera purposes. I can say arc still has a beast of a camera.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

jimmysmart83

Mar 19, 2012
Surat
I'm gonna buy new arc s, is my choice good or not? :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

emilfadillah

Jul 19, 2012
You must be rich dude. If im rich as you, i ll buy a lense for my camera. Lol

Sent from my LT15i using xda premium

szymon247

May 14, 2012
Warsaw
Processor has nothing to do with that, in this case. You wouldn't get anything by getting a quad core with 512MB RAM. It's the RAM that matters. And dual/quad cores are quite unnecessary on phones as each core in dual/quad cores will always be weaker than a single core. The reason why manufacturers started producing multi core devices is because production of the processors has become very cheap. So if you're a heavy multitasker, get a phone with more RAM.

I am monitoring the CPU usage as well as memory usage and I have to say that I'd gain quite a lot by having a faster processor, most of all with a higher "per-core" performance, that's why I mentioned a Krait core which is a few times faster than the Scorpion core doing the math in our Arcs. My CPU usage often goes up to 100% and that's when slowdowns and lags happen. The processor in our Arcs gets maxed out even when playing with the UI itself.
Anyway discussing the dual core vs single core while 1 faster core is always better than 2 slower ones having 2 cores of the same performance is usually (because not all apps are multithreaded) better than 1 equally fast core.

If it comes to ram 512mb is plenty for a mobile device. The problem is Google's "task manager", or lack of it - because even the one in ICS is almost useless. It gives you the satisfaction of closing stuff without doing that in reality.
If only I could launch and close exactly what I wanted to 512mb would be more than enough (and the battery would last at least twice as long).

Last edited:

Dark Fable

May 10, 2011
Dubai
Try JJ's Hybrid ROM 3.2. It's giving me the best ICS user experience ever. Don't be concerned... You're not going to use your (up to 5") phone to render some heavily edited video, are ya? I think 1GB of RAM is just perfect - anything bigger than that would just be for showing off. It's just a phone after all, with a small screen, compared with today's PC monitors.

But I dont like AOSP theme, I prefer Sony skinned ICS. Wish Arconium 4.0 was as good as JJ. Q . Q
Yes, 1gb is good. But the Arc/S has 512mb...or should I say, 339mb! :mad: My mom agreed to buy my Arc S for a good price, so hopefully I will have the One X by September. :p Unless doomlord returns and turns the tide for ICS development on Arc.

pecholino

Aug 27, 2010
Koper
i gave up on my arc too.
i got uset to the xperia S apps on ICS and i cant immagine having a phone without them.
but my arc runs too slow on ICS. and i blame the lack of development for this
so i will without any doubt buy the ACRO S as soon as it will be available.
i know the specs are almost the same as the xperia S but the ACRO will be ip57 certified and most important: it will support wet finger tracking:)

undoubedly SE released the Arc 1 year too late. HW wise was just ok last year. but this year it just got ran over :(

steveatcfs

Oct 26, 2010
Bangalore

+100 am JJ's 3.2 and its smoother and faster than the XPS my pal has which is on stock rom

Sent from my LT18i using xda app-developers app

mr_torture

Feb 6, 2011
Sarajevo
graphicriver.net
I'm gonna buy new arc s, is my choice good or not? :rolleyes:

You can't get better phone for that money. Complete 2011 Xperia family phones have dropped the price since this new "Sony" Xperia line is announced, and in my opinion, given the price vs quality relation, they are the best investments. So yeah, you can't miss with arc S.

Remember, just a few months ago it was a flagship phone, and beside the fact that build materials quality is not the best, you can't get more beautiful phone than this one. I bought mine more than week ago, and simply I'm in love with it. And yes, I have friends owning iPhone 4, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Sensation, Galaxy SII, and yet, they are all playing with my phone, and praising its design.

rec71

Oct 16, 2011
Calne
I swapped phones with my wife, she has my arc S and I've got her brand new xperia S. And I hate it. It's fast but I just can't warm to it. I'm either swapping back or trying something else. :)

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lol, my arc was my first android smartphone im 16, and the only cellphones i could ever get where old bb, i hated them so much, so i love my arc, i would probably only change it for an s3, i mean i like touchwiz, and if i dont theres replacements, or cm9 rom, guys i still dont get it, if you can run ps1, store games, and apps at 100 percent with a singlecore 1ghz processor why do you need aquad core 1.4? just asking, wouldnt it be wiser to get a compuuter for that price?
    I loved my Arc S... Gave it to the shop i bought the beast Htc One X Quadcore from and paid the remaining extra. And oh my god no words... so if i start i might not stop telling all about it... so no disrespect my Arc S was awesome too.. and Htc One X is Miles Better!

So just wanted to share and say bye bye Arc S!

Others also please share stuff... say bye bye to your Arc S, if have bought a new one now ~!

Cheers!!
    A really awsm thread I must admit. Arc was my first smartphone after Nokia X3 and was a hefty costly device I spent for a mobile. Now I moved to Z though arc shines even now. It has tolerated (hopefully) two full years of all the flashing I gave it. Random reboots, bootloops, soft bricks, the probs it faced were endless. To be true, it was my dream device and I still admire at it now. My parents asked me to give arc for a good price and exchange for Z. But i never did. It will always be with me, and earns my love. Not even a single scratch, it really shows how much it can handle. Really proud to be a arc owner. Miss this thread and my device a lot, but its time i gave it a rest. It's enough that all it has faced, it will deserve my respect for my entire life. Goodbye arc, you will always be my most remembered device of all time! ;(

Sent from my C6602 using xda app-developers app

Bought an iPhone 6S, and still keeping this phone.