[Recovery] [07-Jan-2011] RA-passion-v2.2.1

Search This thread

Amon_RA

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
I will post this question once again in hpes that someone can help. I flashed the recovery fine BUT when i reboot into recovery it stays at the "X" screen forever and does absolutely nothing. REflashed 1.5.3 and everything was fine. Someone please help ?:confused:

LOL. I have done it like, 4 times. Someone's gotta know what's up :D

yeah my SN pops up when i search devices , reformatting from FAT32 to FAT32 again and I don't know if the img is corrupt . Hmmmmm what to do ? Will see what's up after I reformat I guess.

You'll need to provide details if you want help.
- How did you flash the recovery? (exact command lines)
- Which fastboot version did you use? (if you used fastboot)
- Did you check the MD5SUM of the download?

What has formatting your SDcard have to do with the recovery?? :confused:

shonanthebarbarianTP2

Dec 15, 2009
You'll need to provide details if you want help.
- How did you flash the recovery? (exact command lines)
- Which fastboot version did you use? (if you used fastboot)
- Did you check the MD5SUM of the download?

What has formatting your SDcard have to do with the recovery?? :confused:

I don't know what reformatting would do but I tried LOL. I typed exactly what you posted man. Yes I used fastboot. I used the version I got when I first rooted last month. How would I check the MD5SUM?

PiCkLeS

Mar 30, 2006
Kristianstad
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
After 1.6.0 when we got the nand backup + ext option I got "back" the problem I had with my HTC Magic. After I ran the first nand backup + ext it didnt go thru, it stopped with something like "try adb nandroid backup instead", cant remember now.

Anyway, now whenever I try to nand restore any of my previous backups, it fails with the same error as above.

Any ideas?

Sorry for bad english.

//P

Alclub

Feb 24, 2010
Please help!!

I followed the instructions on this thread exactly:

I fastboot oem unlocked, got warning, accepted.

I flashed the 1.60 recovery image (checked md5), and the terminal on my pc said 'write ok'.

I rebooted into bootloader. (now says unlocked)
I chose the recovery option, but i still get the exclamation mark droid page (android system recovery 2e).

I've hard reset many times, but the recovery image wont overwrite the stock 2e recovery image!

Thanks in advanced! I wan't cyan soo bad!! :(

JJackson9995

Jan 13, 2010
Please help!!

I flashed the 1.60 recovery image (checked md5), and the terminal on my pc said 'write ok'.

I chose the recovery option, but i still get the exclamation mark droid page (android system recovery 2e).

I've hard reset many times, but the recovery image wont overwrite the stock 2e recovery image!

Try to Boot to Fastboot... And then use:

fastboot boot recovery.img (Or whatever your recovery file is named).. I'm going on the assumption that you know/understand Fastboot. (Do be sure to have the recovery image in the folder where you hold fastboot/adb tools.)

I had an issue like this with 1.5.3... 1.6.0 is working properly, but it's likely the same issue I'd guess.

prettyboy85712

Jun 28, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Please help!!

Have you rooted your phone?

landstander

Nov 2, 2009
KC metro area
Fastboot works perfectly, there must be something wrong with your setup.
Which version of fastboot do you use? Try the latest version which is included in the SDK.

Is fastboot supposed to be included in all versions of the SDK? I have the linux SDK at home, and even after installing all available packages the beastie simply isn't present.

Just curious if I have a broken installation, or if it's only bundled into the Windows/Mac SDK. Since I don't have a non-Linux system at home, it's a bit awkward to check.

Swervo

Jul 24, 2008
Which version of fastboot do you use? Try the latest version which is included in the SDK.

I don't believe fastboot is part of the SDK as it's not an Android specific thing, it's an HTC specific thing. I got mine straight from HTC here: http://developer.htc.com/adp.html#s2

It says it's for ADP, but it works just fine with my Nexus, I've had no problems flashing the recovery, kernels, or unlocking the phone.

landstander

Nov 2, 2009
KC metro area
Please help!!

I had the same issue... I think the stock ROM (maybe just since the OTA update?) tries to "fix" the recovery image at startup, which results in you losing the just-flashed image. In any event, here's how I worked around it using recovery-RA-nexus v1.5.3:

1. Copy each of the following to the root directory of your sdcard: update-cm-XXXXX-N1-signed.zip, and gapps-passion-ERE36B-2-signed.zip.
  2. Boot into recovery-RA without flashing (fastboot boot recovery-RA-nexus-vXXXXX.img). This will upload the recovery as a temporary boot image, so at this stage it needs to be present and accessible on your computer (not the sdcard).
  3. Wipe the device (Wipe data/factory reset)
  4. Flash the update-cm-XXXXX-N1-signed.zip file (Flash zip from sdcard). Do not reboot afterward.
  5. Flash the googly bits (gapps-passion-ERE36B-2-signed.zip) file.
  6. Reboot the device, and go through the normal Android account setup.

At this point you should be able flash the recovery successfully (and have it stick) via fastboot, using the normal procedure. If this still doesn't work, you also have the option of flashing it within CyanogenMod directly.

1. Copy recovery-RA-nexus-vXXXXX.img to the root directory of your sdcard, and rename it to "recovery.img".
  2. Open the Terminal Emulater app, and type "su<ENTER>". Tap "Allow" when prompted for root access.
  3. Flash the image via "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img<ENTER>"

As usual with this rooting stuff, don't blame me if your N1 morphs into a rutabaga... I'm only reporting what I did, and don't promise that it's a risk-free proposition. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, however. :)

Last edited:

BrooklynAvi

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
Amon_RA, I love your recoveries and use them on all my devices. However, losing root every time I run a nandroid really defeats the purpose of using it since I cannot easily do everything I need to do away from a computer. Is there a fix for this on the way?

Thanks again.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

maybe you should post(in post #1) the method through the terminal on the phone? it might save some people some heartache, you some time, and make the thread less repetitive.

lol, this is the third or forth time ive posted this :) directions through the terminal emulator app on your phone. download the recovery and put it on the main part of your sd card(not in any file. make sure it ends in a .img).

su(press enter)
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-nexus-v1.6.0.img(press enter)
reboot recovery(press enter)

or

su(press enter)
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-nexus-v1.6.0-carebear.img(press enter)

Amon_RA

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
Updated to v1.6.1

Change-log :

v1.6.1
  • New unyaffs binary patched by Koushik Dutta and Packetlss to fix the "losing root"-issue after a Nandroid restore.
  • New dump_image binary (by Brainaid) patched by Packetlss to fix the "bad blocks"- Nandroid restore issue. (This will not fix old corrupted Nandroid backups! Please make new backups!!)
  • New mkyaffs2image binary
  • New flash_image binary
  • Reverted to the old green text color
  • Switched the Nexus logo to a Green Carebear with Nexus One logo (Thanks Montalbert!)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a custom recovery based on Cyanogen's recovery source with a lot of things added by me. The purpose of this recovery is to avoid using adb by accessing all features directly from the menu.

This recovery is for the HTC Nexus One only, if you have a :
    - HTC Dream/G1 you should go here.
    - HTC Magic/MT3G you should go here.
    - HTC Hero you should go here.
    - HTC Sprint Hero you should go here.
    - HTC Eris you should go here.
    - HTC Tattoo you should go here.

Important notes
    • Always check recovery.log before posting your issues!
      You can do this by doing :
      • "cat /tmp/recovery.log" OR "cat /cache/recovery/log" right after you had the issue.
      • Use the "move log to sd" option in the "others" menu right after you had the issue. This will move the log to /sdcard/recovery.log so you can easily open it with a text editor.

Features

Use the trackball (up+down) to navigate through the menu, press the trackball to select items. Use the Volume-down key to go back to a previous menu.

Features
    • full ADB access in recovery mode
    • Alternative CM and JF version
    • Busybox v1.15.3
    • Kernel (2.6.35.7) with ext3 + ext4 support
    • SLCD and AMOLED support
    • HW-Key navigation (Trackball + Volume-key) option
    • Extended menu :
      • Reboot system now :: reboot your phone
      • USB-MS Toggle :: enable/disable USB mass storage (use when the phone is connected to your PC)
      • Backup/Restore
        • Nand backup :: Make a selective Nandroid backup
        • Nand restore :: Restore a Nandroid backup
        • Backup Google proprietary system files :: Makes a backup of the Google proprietary system files in /cache/google
        • Restore Google proprietary system files :: Restores the Google proprietary system files from /cache/google
      • Flash zip from sdcard.
        • Choose zip from sdcard :: Flash a zip update file from any (sub)-directory on your sdcard
        • Toggle signature verification :: Toggles the signature verification for zip files.
      • Wipe
        • Wipe ALL data/factory reset :: wipes /data + /cache + entire ext partition + all apps installed on your sdcard (froyo a2sd).
        • Wipe /data :: wipes /data.
        • Wipe /cache :: wipes /cache.
        • Wipe /sdcard/.android_secure :: wipes all apps installed on your sdcard (froyo a2sd).
        • Wipe /sd-ext :: wipes the entire ext partition on your sd (if present).
        • Wipe Dalvik-cache :: wipes the dalvik-cache located in /cache + /data + /sd-ext is present.
        • Wipe battery stats :: reset the battery calibration.
        • Wipe rotate settings :: reset the sensor calibration.
      • Partition sdcard
        • Partition SD :: Interactive SD partitioning
        • Repair SD:ext :: Repair the ext partition
        • SD:ext2 to ext3 :: Convert ext2 to ext3
        • SD:ext3 to ext4 :: Convert ext3 to ext4
      • Mounts
        • (Un)Mount /system
        • (Un)Mount /cache
        • (Un)Mount /data
        • (Un)Mount /sd-ext
        • (Un)Mount /sdcard
      • Other
        • Fix apk uid mismatches :: Does extacly that
        • Move recovery.log to SD :: Moves the recovery log file to your sdcard. (Use when you want more detailed recovery log information)
      • Power off :: Powers off your phone
    • Scripts available via adb :

Install

Pre-Requirements :
    • Root
    • Make sure that init.rc isn't calling any install-recovery.sh script, otherwise you'll boot back to stock recovery (exclamation mark with a little Android). More info on this here.

via Rom Manager
    1. Download "Rom Manager" from the Android market
    2. Start "Rom Manager"
    3. Select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and wait for it to finish
    4. Select "Flash Alternate Recovery" and wait for it to finish -> this will install the latest version of RA recovery.

via fastboot
    Code:
    Copy recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img to a location where fastboot can find it.
    Boot your phone into fastboot mode (power on while holding the trackball)
    Connect your phone via usb to your pc/mac/...
    fastboot devices (to make sure that fastboot "sees" your phone)
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img

via terminal app
    Code:
    Copy recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img to the root of your sdcard
    start the terminal app
    su(press enter)
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img(press enter)

How to boot in Recovery Mode

1. Boot the phone while holding down the VOLUMEDOWN-key.
    2. Navigate to RECOVERY with the the VOLUMEDOWN-key.
    3. Press the POWER-key to select.

Download

ALWAYS check the md5sum to make sure the zip isn't corrupted.

Latest version :

Previous versions :

Change-log :

v2.2.1
    • Nandroid backup is now selective, boot/system/cache/data are selected by default.
    • Nandroid checks if there's at least 500MB free on SDcard before starting a backup.
    • Added/updated error/warning messages.

v2.1.1
    • Fixed ext4 support in kernel! Update from v2.x if you are using sd-ext!

v2.1.0
    • Reduced recovery size by 800kb so it fits any hboot version to date :
      • Set Kernel compression mode to LZMA (33% smaller kernel)
      • Switched kernel debugging off
      • Removed : Networking support - Bluetooth subsystem support
      • Removed : Device Drivers - Misc device - AKM8973 Compass Driver
      • Removed : Device Drivers - Misc device - A1026 Voice Processor Driver
      • Removed : Device Drivers - Multimedia support
      • Removed : Device Drivers - MSM 3D Graphics driver for Adreno class GPU's
    • Nandroid now backups the entire content of /sd-ext , not just the apps. This fixes bootloops of certain restored roms.
    • Moved the "Toggle signature verification"-option from the Other- to the main flash-submenu.
    • Re-ordered the wipe menu.

v2.0.0
    Some things in v2.0.0 were kanged with a twist from the Clockworkmod recovery.
    • Updated kernel to 2.6.35 (SLCD and AMOLED are now both supported).
    • Added SDEXT support for update scripts.
    • Added "filebrowser" support when you select a zip to flash.
    • Added "/.." support to the filebrowser so you can navigate up.
    • Added a mount menu so you can manually (u)mount stuff.
    • Added a toggle verification switch so you can flash those awesome unsigned winrar rom releases...
    • Fully re-wrote the wipe menu (it's not using a script anymore), added a few new wipe options.
    • Added "/sdcard/.android_secure" support , nandroid now backups/restores .android_secure (Froyo a2sd apps) by default.
    • Added a few new Google apps to the Google app backup script.

Special thanks to :
    • packetlss for all the hours of support and awesome coding skills, THANKS man ^^, donate to Haiti
    • Koushik Dutta for all his recovery work ^^
    • Cyanogen for his dedicated work! , buy him a beer!
    • Chris Soyars for the new Apps2SD method ^^
    • JesusFreke for his awesome JFv1.43's recovery , donate
    • pensive for adding awesome features to Nandroid :)
    • Bkmo for his utility script!
    • Devsk for his switchrom script!
    • 51dusty for his sdparted script!
    • k4str0 for his fix_permissions v2.03 update.
    • Devsk, Dumfuq, Overground for creating BART :D
    • rikupw for the ideas and toggle_ums script.
    • http://www.androidspin.com for hosting ^^
    [Recovery] [27-Dec-2010] RA-nexus-v2.1.1

Reserved for future use
    The site is down! Can someone upload the file again??

See attachment
    updated to v2.2.1

Change-log :

v2.2.1
    • Nandroid backup is now selective, boot/system/cache/data are selected by default.
    • Nandroid checks if there's at least 500MB free on SDcard before starting a backup.
    • Added/updated error/warning messages.
    updated to v2.1.1

Changelog : v2.1.1
    • Fixed ext4 support in kernel! Update from v2.x if you are using sd-ext!