[App] Wi-Fi Keep Alive 1.4.2 - Don't let wi-fi turn off when screen goes off

Search This thread
D

diversificationied

Actually it works perfectly fine for me. At work I have it set to Airplane mode but with Wifi on. I still receive all my Google Talk, Emails, etc just fine with the screen off.

Are you on a wep connection? I noticed this only happened on my AES WPA connection at my office, but not at my house (wep).

Sindroid

Apr 4, 2010
Bergen
This bug sucks big time. Real pain in the ass when you are online with meebo or something.

When the first leak of Froyo came around, it maintained the wi-fi no prob.
But now with FRF83 it came back.. Annoying..

worker1

May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
I've tried to connect via ssh to quick sshd but I have to run the browser right before I connect to activate the wifi connection. Hopefully you can get this to work. Maybe someone else can help you.

BootsSiR

Jun 10, 2010
Halifax, NS
This is indeed an annoying issue. I was downloading a new rom earlier and had to keep the phone alive by hitting the trackball every now and then before it went to sleep. As soon as it sleeps, bam, transfer stops.

lou2s

Jun 19, 2010
My phone is N1 Stock non-root Froyo FRF85B, and the "Never Sleep" doesn't work at home (WPA2-PSK/AES), 802.11n draft router.

sousafrui

Apr 2, 2010
Pombal
I didn't read throughout the allbl thread so pardon me if someone already post this workarround i use with 100% success: i just use another app that has already built in it this functionally mencioned in this thread. I use one msm app (msn talk) that you coul find in the market. The app keeps my wifi on as long msn is connected (simple: keep my state offline so i don't get bother).
I also suffered from that problem even with the system configuration "always on' turned on I'd get a lost connection.
You could also try another approach: try to use some widget /app who keeps you phone active while the screen goes off. I've read some where (probably in here xda forum) that someone made a app for that porpouse. If so i think that also do the trick jn keeping wifi on.
Hope i helped

SOUSAFRUI @ NEXUS ONE

Lcrusher

Jun 29, 2010
Had the same problem on my HTC Desire with the froyo custom roms. That was one of the reasons I downgraded back to the stock one. That one works great
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.100:
Packets: Sent = 358, Received = 343, Lost = 15 (4% loss),

maedox

Nov 14, 2008
Oslo
I don't quite see the point of this app, but it's good to see that people use their skills for good at least.

I have never seen the wi-fi bug on mine. The screen has been off for a few hours and I can still ping it and ssh to the dropbear server. I'm on Linksys WRT54GL w/ WPA2 on Tomato at home now, and at work I'm using a BlueSocket setup with WPA2/PEAP. Sleep policy set to never sleep = never sleep for me. You must be doing something wrong. :p
You guys with problems are you using the latest radio? Are you on some custom kernel with lower or higher voltage levels?

F

flybyme

I don't quite see the point of this app, but it's good to see that people use their skills for good at least.

I have never seen the wi-fi bug on mine. The screen has been off for a few hours and I can still ping it and ssh to the dropbear server. I'm on Linksys WRT54GL w/ WPA2 on Tomato at home now, and at work I'm using a BlueSocket setup with WPA2/PEAP. Sleep policy set to never sleep = never sleep for me. You must be doing something wrong. :p
You guys with problems are you using the latest radio? Are you on some custom kernel with lower or higher voltage levels?

no it happens on fully stock phones as well

shantzg001

Inactive Recognized Developer
UPDATE: Potential work arounds for folks having problem in sleep policies not working correctly have been put in version 1.2.0. Please redownload to test and let me know. Read this for more details. OP also has full changelog and download details

Changes in this version:
* Added workarounds to take care of sleep policies not working on some phones

* Optimized the code a bit for faster operations

* Added Configuration screens to widgets (pops up whenever widget is added)

noapp

Aug 5, 2009
UPDATE: Potential work arounds for folks having problem in sleep policies not working correctly have been put in version 1.2.0. Please redownload to test and let me know. Read this for more details. OP also has full changelog and download details

Changes in this version:

Might I ask what the two workarounds are? Knowing this might help me to understand which to select.

noapp

Aug 5, 2009
Sorry but the workaround does not work. I have tried with both checked but as soon as my screen is turned off, I cannot ping the device anymore.
It's Desire on OpenDesire v1.5 (Froyo AOSP 2.2_r1.1).

qvert

Oct 10, 2008
my wifi is still dropping on both fixxes

modaco r21 based on froyo frf93

i've got a workaround which pings my router every 60 seconds, this keeps my wifi awake all the time, but consumes around 1-2% battery

shantzg001

Might I ask what the two workarounds are? Knowing this might help me to understand which to select.
The first workaround is to get a wifi lock and monitor its state.
Second workaround is to get a partial wake lock, which keeps the CPU running even with screen off (CPU should anyways be running if you want to keep the wi-fi on so there shouldn't be any issues).
Also note that these work arounds would come into effect in accordance with the policy you choose. I'm trying to keep the behaviour as close as possible to the sleep policies to avoid any unnecessary drain on battery.
Edit: BTW I'll add this info (along with new workarounds) in the app itself with next release. It's taking a bit of time because I want to keep the layouts as uniform as possible for all old devices as well.

Sorry but the workaround does not work. I have tried with both checked but as soon as my screen is turned off, I cannot ping the device anymore.
It's Desire on OpenDesire v1.5 (Froyo AOSP 2.2_r1.1).

my wifi is still dropping on both fixxes

modaco r21 based on froyo frf93

i've got a workaround which pings my router every 60 seconds, this keeps my wifi awake all the time, but consumes around 1-2% battery

This might be due to a third case because of routers. I haven't been able to pin point the issue so far but with the above workarounds I'm able to use a friend's G1 and my nexus 1 fine with one of the routers that I have. But my nexus still fails when connected to another router that I have. Also note that so far it seems that this issue is not really related to sleep policy. This issue happens even if you keep the device alive by constantly tapping the screen but there is not much data transfer happening.
I have a test build with a regular ping message and it, along with work around 1 or 2, keeps wi-fi always working even with my second router but I'm still perfecting it to reduce battery usage as much as possible and also allow a way to work for people with different subnets etc. That would be out around next weekend as I'll get time to work on it around next friday/saturday only..

Last edited:

qvert

Oct 10, 2008
hmm cant you ping the default gateway? which should normally be the router on homenetworks?

shantzg001

^^ Yeah thats what I am doing right now.. but somehow it keeps returning me false when I use a router with a subnet 10.10.x.x but works fine with the other router with 192.18.x.x subnet and I can ping both fine through PC. Maybe I'm doing something wrong somewhere..
besides I want to make this extremely battery effective based on various conditions the phone can be in (right now in my test build, it starts pinging immediately when wi-fi comes alive and keeps pinging till switched off)

shantzg001

Updated to 1.2.1 (Primarily for a bug fix. Rest are some usability enhancements that were pending on a branch)

Changelog:
* Changed "Advanced options" to button instead of text
* Bug Fix for a Force Close
* More Optimizations
* Help and Info Menus (to explain options and workarounds)
* Option to disable/enable debug logging

maRioHD

Mar 11, 2010
My nexus one's wifi still has issues even with this. Although it does reconnect the wifi once I turn the screen on (with the workaround) so atleast it somewhat helps me. But it doesn't keep the wifi on while the screen is off, so streaming in Pandora stops once the song is over and it is trying to get the next song. :(

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: Potential work arounds for folks having problem in sleep policies not working correctly have been put in version 1.2.0 onwards. Please redownload to test and let me know. Read this for more details.

IMPORTANT: If you are having wi-fi issues in sleep even after using this app, please let me know the following
    1. Device/Phone Name and Rom version
    2. What is the app version that you have?
    3. Did you try all the combinations of various workarounds in the advanced options?
    4. Can you please enable logging in the advanced options and send me logcat dump for this duration

I did an app to change the wi-fi sleep policy quickly so that you can control whether wi-fi is disconnected or not whenever screen turns off. What's more is that I also did a widget for it, so you can just tap on it to cycle through the various sleep policies.

I hope this can help some people out who get frustrated when their download breaks off as the screen goes down or worse, it switches to slow and expensive mobile data connection which runs your account balance down in a jiffy before you realize it..

You can look for more details on this page (and also report any bugs or suggestions):
    Android Wi-Fi Keep Alive

Just try out this app by searching for "wi-fi keep alive" in market or scanning this barcode:
    chart

Note: Many would wonder what would be the need of this app when we have a setting for this built-in in android. These are the reasons:
    Yes, that is true but as I mentioned earlier in the thread. The reasons to do this app are:
    1. Quick access. The setting for this is buried too deep and I wouldn't like to have this set to "never" (e.g.) all the time. I'd like to do it in a tap whenever I'm doing something that doesn't require me to look at the screen but wi-fi needs to be on. You can just tap on the widget and on you go. Otherwise you have most of the settings anyways in Android (for wi-fi/gps/sync/etc), why would you need widgets for them?
    2. The android in-built settings don't work always. Although the app provides pretty much the same options to the user as the in-built setting provides but I'm trying to include work-arounds in the back end that would really make it work.

TODO/Coming Soon
    * Configurable pinging interval
    * Suggestions welcome

Known Issues:
    1) Known issue with “on when plugged in” policy is that if you are already plugged in while changing anything in the app, workarounds don’t take place until you plug out and plug in again
    2) This is not a known issue with the app but with wi-fi on some devices itself that it stops working on leaving it idle even if the phone is not sleeping. This is not the purview of this particular app and it might not solve it, although few folks say that this app helps in this scenario as well.
    3) Some routers/settings are also known to cause issues with wi-fi in sleep. The correct pattern has not been identified yet but many people report that they can stay connected to wi-fi in sleep with some routers but with other routers, it fails. (Work Around 3 might help in such cases but not always)
    4) While adding widget, the main app screen will pop-up for widget configuration. You need to choose any one policy (even if desired one already selected) otherwise widget will not be added

Notes:
    1) Please press Menu key in the app and select “Help” to see details about policy and workaround options.
    2) Please report any bugs here along with the above mentioned details (labeled IMPORTANT so that i can fix the issues.

Changelog:

02-August-2010 -> 1.4.2
    * Better looking & smaller icons (including widget). Thanks a lot to "rori~" for designing the icons :) Do checkout his other work in the forum. He has designed a lot of nice morphs/themes etc (Note: If the new icons don't appear on existing widget, please delete the widget and add it again)
    * Space optimization so that the app takes lesser space on phone.

22-July-2010 -> 1.4.1
    * Fixed a bug that can cause wi-fi to keep reconnecting in quick succession in certain situations.

22-July-2010 -> 1.4.0
    * Added workaround 4 (Re-associate automatically with access point if all else fails. Needs workaround 3 to be enabled)
    * Support for small screens (e.g. XPeria X10 mini)
    * Widget/Icons size optimizations for older Android versions
    * Resource optimizations for lesser space and faster loading
    * Misc. under-the-hood UI tweaks for better/consistent layouts across different screen sizes/densities/android versions.

11-July-2010 -> 1.3.0
    * Added workaround 3 (Ping the router gateway regularly)
    * Lot of optimizations for battery savings.
    * Apply workarounds without needing to select the policy again

06-July-2010 -> 1.2.1
    * Changed "Advanced options" to button instead of text
    * Bug Fix for a Force Close
    * More Optimizations
    * Help and Info Menus (to explain options and workarounds)
    * Option to disable/enable debug logging

04-July-2010 -> 1.2.0

28-June-2010 -> 1.1.0

* Added Widget

27-June-2010 -> 1.0.0

* Initial Version