Desktop Dock?

Search This thread

ITNV

Jun 26, 2008
Does anyone know of a good desktop dock that will work with the S5?

I have the Samsung dock that worked great with my S3 and S4 but the stupid USB port cover on the S5 gets in the way.

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
Does anyone know of a good desktop dock that will work with the S5?

I have the Samsung dock that worked great with my S3 and S4 but the stupid USB port cover on the S5 gets in the way.

I'm using this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331131359015?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You can set the S5 on it and it will charge and be firmly in place because the charging pin is very high, but obvisouly, the charging port cover has to be flipped 180 degrees and i'm scared that i the long term it will break off. Thats why i switched back to just a regular cable

ITNV

Jun 26, 2008
I'm using this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331131359015?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You can set the S5 on it and it will charge and be firmly in place because the charging pin is very high, but obvisouly, the charging port cover has to be flipped 180 degrees and i'm scared that i the long term it will break off. Thats why i switched back to just a regular cable

Yeah, the connector for that charger cover doesn't strike me as super durable.

I guess I could take a dremmel to the part of the dock on the left side of the charging pin and make some room for the port cover. It won't look great but at least I could probably have a workable dock and not be worrying about breaking that cover off.

Thanks!

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, the connector for that charger cover doesn't strike me as super durable.

I guess I could take a dremmel to the part of the dock on the left side of the charging pin and make some room for the port cover. It won't look great but at least I could probably have a workable dock and not be worrying about breaking that cover off.

Thanks!

If you're the type of person that thinks paying 50$ for a dock that is made for 1$, just because it's branded, is the way to go, then sure. But I had this since august and it's as solid as day 1, for under 10$, you can't go wrong. Heck, you can even buy 2 and experiment with a dremel if you want at that price

ITNV

Jun 26, 2008
If you're the type of person that thinks paying 50$ for a dock that is made for 1$, just because it's branded, is the way to go, then sure. But I had this since august and it's as solid as day 1, for under 10$, you can't go wrong. Heck, you can even buy 2 and experiment with a dremel if you want at that price

Sorry, I meant the charging cover on the phone isn't durable. That dock locks plenty solid. I was just thinking that I'd have to cut it up a little to alleviate the stress on the USB port cover.

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
Ahh, i see. I agree on one side, but on the other, i can't believe Samsung have not opened and closed that little cover thousands of times before slapping it on the S5. Samsung have good stress tests that tend to make our phones very durable. It would be a major screw up to put a fragile door on a phone that depends on that for its IP67 certification. Only time will tell, but I think i'll take out the dremel too and try to make the dock as S5 friendly as possible:fingers-crossed:

Ahh, i see. I agree on one side, but on the other, i can't believe Samsung have not opened and closed that little cover thousands of times before slapping it on the S5. Samsung have good stress tests that tend to make our phones very durable. It would be a major screw up to put a fragile door on a phone that depends on that for its IP67 certification. Only time will tell, but I think i'll take out the dremel too and try to make the dock as S5 friendly as possible:fingers-crossed:

Yeah, I thought about that too -- the door doesn't look too durable but then I thought that it had to have been a requirement of the IP67 certification for it to be relatively sturdy. I owned the XPeria Z1 and the S5's door seems about as durable. Time will tell, I guess.

Koshatul

Oct 7, 2009
I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't consider charging pins, that would have opened up charging $50 for a new branded dock.

I'm going to source a replacement back and wire up the induction charge points to pads on the back, then build a dock for it.

It's kind of silly requiring you to open the usb protector every night to charge it. (And I hate wasting power on induction charging)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

initial_k

Feb 25, 2011
Would love to hear how its working as I have been looking for a dock that will also charge a spare battery. Do you have any issues with the usb cover? Work with a case? The usb cord is very short, are you using a different one?

Thanks for posting this.

Someone needs to make a q wireless charging standing desktop dock.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX

Attachments

• samsung-galaxy-s5-desktop-charging-cradle-p44349-240.jpg
    samsung-galaxy-s5-desktop-charging-cradle-p44349-240.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 87

ledridge

Dec 13, 2006
I like the Ppyple Swivel Charge

I have had this one for a while and I like the fact that the plug for this is just the end of a usb cable locked into place. I have been able to reverse it when I had a phone that docked backwards and now I have put to USB3 cable that came with the phone right into it so I get the best it can do.

http://www.amazon.com/Ppyple-Swivel...e=UTF8&qid=1397776785&sr=1-10&keywords=ppyple

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Someone needs to make a q wireless charging standing desktop dock.

this one is reasonably priced.

http://www.amazon.com/PThink-Qi-Ena...=1397777513&sr=1-1&keywords=qi+charging+stand

JS_racer

Oct 29, 2011
seeing the picture with the flap folded back, it seems like it would be a fight every time, and no chance of that flap folding that way with a case on, it would then point down ??
loved my s3 on a dock at my desk, time and weather.