VTech Innotab Max

Search This thread

blakegriplingph

May 13, 2011
Amazon Fire
Realme C3
Lol is anyone interested in taking a look at this children's tablet?
ZWMgsQe.jpg

There isn't any much information on the tab specs-wise, except that it runs on a customised Android distribution with a child-friendly UI (think Samsung's Kid UI), a 1024x600 LCD screen, and a dual-core Rockchip RK3168 SOC. That's besides VTech developed or curated edutaiment apps being distributed physically through proprietary cartridges (using a wrapper as NeverLies mentioned), a stylus pen and of course the form factor.

Mom's Messy Miracles is currently having a giveaway contest, if anyone's up to it. :)

UPDATE: @ifhi has managed to debloat and convert his Innotab into a plain ol' Android tablet; see this post for details.
UPDATE 2: Instructions on how to convert the Innotab can be found here: https://xdaforums.com/android/general/convert-vtech-innotab-maxx-android-t4060429

Last edited:
Reactions: RAMChYLD

blakegriplingph

May 13, 2011
Amazon Fire
Realme C3
I'm also interested in some hacking of this device. I'm interested in the device so my daughter can still use her cartridges but still have a full android tablet.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to pick one up in the near future, but I'm interested in tinkering with one and knowing as to what VTech used for the Max's internals, like the card slot and of course the SOC used.

That, and since this is by and large a children's device, I'm sure Samsung's Kids UI would be a natural fit for this tab. That is if it can be ported at all. Oh, and Cyanogenmod, anyone?

thenuns

Dec 1, 2014
It has been

I am also very interested to hack this device.

It has been hacked, there is a firmware hack to allow you to dump carts to the SD card. Trouble is I cant find anywhere to get pre dumped games so its not a moneysaver for me yet. You can also convert video to play too.
Any info on where I can download games would be much appreciated. The hack author wont allow pirated games.

Failing that maybe we could share??

for the hack google spiffy hacks innotab

Reactions: blakegriplingph

blakegriplingph

May 13, 2011
Amazon Fire
Realme C3
It has been hacked, there is a firmware hack to allow you to dump carts to the SD card. Trouble is I cant find anywhere to get pre dumped games so its not a moneysaver for me yet. You can also convert video to play too.
Any info on where I can download games would be much appreciated. The hack author wont allow pirated games.

Failing that maybe we could share??

for the hack google spiffy hacks innotab

Heard of it, but I'm actually interested in a root/recovery for the device as this one runs on Android. Yeah, there has been hacks for the other Innotab models, but while there's a thread in Spiffy's board mentioning about the possibility of supporting the Max, no hacks or root tricks for the latter exist yet.

Last edited:

ZeAuReLiEn

Jan 28, 2004
Paris
Innotab/Storio (european name) Max

Hi
Anyone succeeded to root the tablet, or at least install an alternate store (Google Play Store or Amazon App Store) ?

I couldn't find anything about a way to dump games to SD card, can someone post some information about it ?

Toug

May 15, 2008
Toulouse
I would be definitely interested in accessing the play store and having root rights with this tablet. But I need to still have access to the Vtech UI for my child. (good UI I think, but a little slow sometimes).

etp23

May 4, 2011
el paso texas
Are there any debugging options available on the tablet when you log in to Parent Mode? Something along the lines of Unknown Sources or at least a USB debug mode?

Not that I know of the box it comes in doesn't say much and there's virtually no help on the options screen trying to find a way to maybe boot into recovery or something but I am very interested in finding some sort of alternate ui or a way to add apps from the play store and such if anyone would be kind enough to help I'd greatly appreciate it

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: blakegriplingph

Nico_FR

Aug 12, 2008
Hello there

My daughter just had one, and I've spend couple of hours on this one.
Right now, here is the status:
- I can boot in bootloader interface mode
- I can "adb" with device
- while in shell mode, "su" is working fine, and can read full content of the tablet

You can see in attached pic that they may had some issue on the wifi/bluetooth device as they are some testonly release in it :D

Capture.png

Nico_FR

Aug 12, 2008
I don't want everyone to get a bricked device so let's wait a few and found out what is available.

I've also made available some information on spiffy. Let me see If I can get the FW

Nico_FR

Aug 12, 2008
As posted on spiffy, here are the instructions

1. Turn OFF your MAX
2. In order to get access, you will have to boot to recovery
* * *- Plugin USB cable and wait for the battery charging animation
* * *- Hold down UP (on the dpad) + LEFT (on the dpad) + Context Key (the one on the upper left) and press ON for 3 seconds
-------- Alternate: Up & left (d-pad) vol up and power button (3 seconds)
* * *- It will stay black screen, this is normal
3. Using the google driver, edit the "android_winusb.inf" file on your PC, and add following lines:
- In section named “[Google.NTx86]”
;InnoTab Max
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0006
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0006
- In section named “[Google.NTamd64]”
;InnoTab Max
4. Plug the MAX on your PC using USB cable
5. Drivers should be then installed correctly (thanks to modifications done in android_winusb.inf)

You now have adb access to your tablet, only in recovery mode. You can test using "adb devices" command, it should list your device

6. start adb shell using "adb shell" command on your PC
7. Get root access, using "su" command
8. Enable adb for normal mode, using this command: "setprop persist.service.adb.enable 1"
9. You can now reboot the tablet in normal mode using "reboot" command

Once tablet is rebooted, you will see an unknown device, based on the rk30 board. You will need rockship driver pack to continue with adb in this normal mode

10. Install driver pack for rockship from: http://dl.radxa.com/rock/tools/windows/RK_DriverAssitant.zip

You now have complete ADB access to your tablet
I've just installed the latest firmware upgrade available and the device is reported to be running on android 4.2.2
Let me know if you have issue while following these steps, but should be quite straightforward.
Note that busybox 1.11.1 is already available, and you have root access.

If you need to factory reset your tablet, the key combination is almost the same as getting in recovery
Hit: UP + LEFT + ? and turn on the tablet

------------------ Android Launcher ---------------------------------
Start adb shell and type the following command:
am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -c android.intent.category.HOME

this will move to foreground the android launcher

IMG_20150118_153823.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As posted on spiffy, here are the instructions

1. Turn OFF your MAX
    2. In order to get access, you will have to boot to recovery
    * * *- Plugin USB cable and wait for the battery charging animation
    * * *- Hold down UP (on the dpad) + LEFT (on the dpad) + Context Key (the one on the upper left) and press ON for 3 seconds
    -------- Alternate: Up & left (d-pad) vol up and power button (3 seconds)
    * * *- It will stay black screen, this is normal
    3. Using the google driver, edit the "android_winusb.inf" file on your PC, and add following lines:
    - In section named “[Google.NTx86]”
    ;InnoTab Max
    - In section named “[Google.NTamd64]”
    ;InnoTab Max
    4. Plug the MAX on your PC using USB cable
    5. Drivers should be then installed correctly (thanks to modifications done in android_winusb.inf)

You now have adb access to your tablet, only in recovery mode. You can test using "adb devices" command, it should list your device

6. start adb shell using "adb shell" command on your PC
    7. Get root access, using "su" command
    8. Enable adb for normal mode, using this command: "setprop persist.service.adb.enable 1"
    9. You can now reboot the tablet in normal mode using "reboot" command

Once tablet is rebooted, you will see an unknown device, based on the rk30 board. You will need rockship driver pack to continue with adb in this normal mode

10. Install driver pack for rockship from: http://dl.radxa.com/rock/tools/windows/RK_DriverAssitant.zip

I've just installed the latest firmware upgrade available and the device is reported to be running on android 4.2.2
    Let me know if you have issue while following these steps, but should be quite straightforward.
    Note that busybox 1.11.1 is already available, and you have root access.

If you need to factory reset your tablet, the key combination is almost the same as getting in recovery
    Hit: UP + LEFT + ? and turn on the tablet

Start adb shell and type the following command:

this will move to foreground the android launcher

IMG_20150118_153823.jpg
    Ok, so the way i think i did it was as follows (someone please correct me if necessary!)-

1. This thread here should help get adb installed on your computer, which is the very 1st thing you need to do http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

2. Download and extract this modified usb driver to your PC desktop https://www.dropbox.com/s/um0s2ggqrdejvcw/modified innotab max usb_driver.zip?dl=0

3. With your innotab MAX turned off, hold UP and LEFT on the d-pad, VOL + and the power button for about 3 seconds. You should see the screen go on and off a couple of times (it will be a black screen - Nothing will come up). You should now be in recovery mode.

4. Plug the Innotab MAX into your PC using USB cable. When the driver installation screen pops up, choose install driver from location, and point to the modified driver file location on the desktop. Drivers should be then installed correctly.

You now have ADB access to your tablet, only in recovery mode. You can test by typing "adb devices" from a command prompt within the c:/adb folder, it should list your device

5. Start ADB shell using "adb shell" command on your PC

6. Get root access, using "su" command

7. Enable ADB for normal mode, using this command: "setprop persist.service.adb.enable 1"

8. You can now reboot the tablet in normal mode using "reboot" command

9. Install driver pack for rockship from: http://dl.radxa.com/rock/tools/windows/RK_DriverAssitant.zip

Start ADB shell and type the following command:

This will move the android launcher to the foreground (if it doesn't work straight away, press up on the keyboard and enter to send the command again)

Now... to get full superuser access from within the andoid launcher (only do this if you are knowledgeable of the android operating system, as you run the risk of permanently bricking your device if you play around or delete anything you shouldn't!) you need to follow this guide (again, this may not be 100%, and could have steps that aren't needed at all, I just copied and modified the code slightly from another thread)-

1. Make sure you have ADB set up and working (wired or wireless).

2. Download and unzip the needed files here onto your PC http://d-h.st/BBk

3. Place unzipped files in c:/adb/

4. Run the following commands to put su in the proper place (while innotab is plugged into pc and turned on):

Code:

adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /system
    exit
    exit
    adb push su /mnt/external_sd/su
    adb shell
    su
    cat /mnt/external_sd/su > /system/xbin/su
    ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su
    chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
    exit
    exit

5. Install SuperUser and BusyBox:

Code:

adb install com.koushikdutta.superuser.apk
    adb install stericson.busybox.apk

There you have it, full superuser access on your Innotab Max. PLEASE NOTE- Before you decide to make any big changes, or delete anything, it would be advisable to get a custom recovery installed (if that's possible) or at least ask on here for advice before doing so, to avoid ending up with an expensive paper weight. Only install a custom recovery that you know will work on the device (I don't think anything can be used yet) as you run the risk of losing the original recovery and killing the innotab if you install anything that isn't compatible.

Google 'Root Browser apk' and download to PC (also while you're at it you could find Sidebar Lite and Amazon app store apks). Copy all apks to a micro sd card. go to the android launcher menu and open explorer app, choose sd card in the menu and find the apks and install them.

It may not be perfect, but as far as I'm aware this is the way that I did it, and I can't redo any of my steps now to check if it's 100% correct as I've got both of the tablets set up now.
    Ok guys. Took me forever to find this out but my tablet is now rooted with supersu and busybox installed. I followed the root instructions on page 4 and then replaced the su binary with the supersu app. The directions in this forum using adb just does not work with 15.4. Head over to Spiffy hacks and in the innotab max section you will find a tutorial on using the debug menu to access the home launcher. After that you can enable normal usb debugging which will give you adb access. I have installed several apps. Amazon app store, es file explorer, dolphin browser all work. Youtube app will not work as it needs google play services. I am working on installing the play services and play store. I will report back if I get it working. Just google "Innotab Max Hacks" and spiffy's website will be the 2nd or 3rd result. Just enter the innotab max section and follow the debug tutorial. Worked great for me.
    Hello there

My daughter just had one, and I've spend couple of hours on this one.
    Right now, here is the status:
    - I can boot in bootloader interface mode
    - I can "adb" with device
    - while in shell mode, "su" is working fine, and can read full content of the tablet

You can see in attached pic that they may had some issue on the wifi/bluetooth device as they are some testonly release in it :D

Capture.png