Is sprint blocking torrents now?

Search This thread

Phr3d13

Nov 24, 2011
Niagara Falls, NY
I have been trying various torrent apps and none of them seem to work anymore. Is it just me/my phone, my service area, or did sprint block all torrents from getting through?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

arcanax32

Jan 30, 2014
I think Sprint might have. But I have no issue when I tether my phone to my computer

Sent from my PG06100 using xda app-developers app

SGSIIIJB

Jan 6, 2013
MD
lol no sprint does not block downloading torrents, I average 30gb a month using phone/tether I would know =)

all torrent apps work but i recommend using aTorrent it always seems to work.

agkelos

Apr 20, 2008
They're definitely blocking torrents now. Especially if you are using closed websites. If you are using open websites vuze connects after a few restarts but forget about utorrent. You can try downloading the openoffice torrent to try it and you will get the closed connection by peer error (or something like that) on utorrent and the socketexception error on vuze which mean they are indeed blocking traffic.

edit: btw Im talking about torrents while tethering, I have not tried it with a client app on the phone itself.

Last edited:

SGSIIIJB

Jan 6, 2013
MD
I torrent all day long using native usb tether with Utorrent or any other program/app, please guy your spreading false rumours...sprint is NOT blocking torrenting

btw I have that torrent downloading just fine usb tethered to my laptop.

Reactions: 1BadWolf

Phr3d13

Nov 24, 2011
Niagara Falls, NY
that was one of the first things I did, and it seemed to help for about a half an hour, then the connections got crappy again. I have since deleted the torrent I was trying to get and started a different one. it completed with no problems. I am also being told by sprint that my area is going through network vision upgrades. so I'm guessing that is the likely culprit

blastboi

Dec 28, 2007
lynchburg
Have you tried orbot app or DROID vpn? Orbot is a little slower but it worked when I had the problem before I deleted the sprint proxy
Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

D

Deleted member 5241571

For some reason it seems that TouchWiz ROMs are fine about downloading torrents but the AOSP based ROMs are not... /hmm

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nope. Works just fine for me. I use tTorrent.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

Reactions: 1BadWolf

WarriorAtlas

Apr 11, 2014
I torrent all day long using native usb tether with Utorrent or any other program/app, please guy your spreading false rumours...sprint is NOT blocking torrenting

Dude he is NOT spreading rumors, they are doing it to me too. ALSO There is a link of Sprint straight up admitting that they block peer2peer traffic

Just Google Sprint Blocking Torrents, It'll be the first link that leads to the Sprint Message Board (I can't post links yet)

SprintCare:

"Peer-to-peer sharing directly violates Sprint's terms and conditions. This includes the use of file-sharing sites such as Bittorrent, Ares, Gnutella, eDonkey and PP Live. Sprint has begun blocking these sites proactively. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

SGSIIIJB

Jan 6, 2013
MD
Dude he is NOT spreading rumors, they are doing it to me too. ALSO There is a link of Sprint straight up admitting that they block peer2peer traffic

Just Google Sprint Blocking Torrents, It'll be the first link that leads to the Sprint Message Board (I can't post links yet)

SprintCare:

"Peer-to-peer sharing directly violates Sprint's terms and conditions. This includes the use of file-sharing sites such as Bittorrent, Ares, Gnutella, eDonkey and PP Live. Sprint has begun blocking these sites proactively. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

As Ive posted time and time again... Sprint does NOT block any type of downloading nor does it monitor when, where, why, what your downloading. My GS3 is my primary ISP I torrent HUGE files up to 7GB all day long! highest month usage was in the 60GB range with no issues. I pay for my unlimited data and I use it to the FULLEST.

Sprint does NOT block any type of downloading/torrenting, please stop spreading false rumors.

WarriorAtlas

Apr 11, 2014
As Ive posted time and time again... Sprint does NOT block any type of downloading nor does it monitor when, where, why, what your downloading. My GS3 is my primary ISP I torrent HUGE files up to 7GB all day long! highest month usage was in the 60GB range with no issues. I pay for my unlimited data and I use it to the FULLEST.

Sprint does NOT block any type of downloading/torrenting, please stop spreading false rumors.

I'm guessing you didn't bother doing the research I've provided you. It's too much reading for you I suppose.

It's great for you that it works for you and I have a Galaxy S4 with unlimited data as well. On my phone, bittorrent DOES in fact work, and I do several gigs a month as well. My point with this is that just because something doesn't apply to you, it doesn't mean it's not an issue. That's a very narrow-minded and immature way to look at the world.

My wifi from sprint however does not work, on any of my devices (7 in total between computers, tablets, and phones) nor on my neighbors computer (so it's not just me).

PLUS THEY FREAKING ADMIT TO DOING IT! I don't get why this isn't enough evidence for you considering they don't hide the fact.
Using a VPN I can get by the block and make it work, so it's not an issue for me anymore. For anyone else out there with this issue you can try using a VPN or I've heard enabling encryption on your torrent client will work too.

I hope this helps those who are having this issue.

SGSIIIJB

Jan 6, 2013
MD
I'm guessing you didn't bother doing the research I've provided you. It's too much reading for you I suppose.

It's great for you that it works for you and I have a Galaxy S4 with unlimited data as well. On my phone, bittorrent DOES in fact work, and I do several gigs a month as well. My point with this is that just because something doesn't apply to you, it doesn't mean it's not an issue. That's a very narrow-minded and immature way to look at the world.

My wifi from sprint however does not work, on any of my devices (7 in total between computers, tablets, and phones) nor on my neighbors computer (so it's not just me).

PLUS THEY FREAKING ADMIT TO DOING IT! I don't get why this isn't enough evidence for you considering they don't hide the fact.
Using a VPN I can get by the block and make it work, so it's not an issue for me anymore. For anyone else out there with this issue you can try using a VPN or I've heard enabling encryption on your torrent client will work too.

I hope this helps those who are having this issue.

Guy, this is real simple... If Sprint was blocking torrneting/downloading/w/e u want to call it; It would effect ALL of US customers not just you, Short answer Sprint does NOT block any torrneting/tethered/Hotspot/again w/e u want to call it; downloading.

Reactions: flastnoles11

blastboi

Dec 28, 2007
lynchburg
Maybe it's just their partners.... in central VA we don't have sprint towers we use ntelos towers, everyone I know who has sprint or boost mobile can't torrent with out a vpn like torgard...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZaNobey

WarriorAtlas

Apr 11, 2014
Guy, this is real simple... If Sprint was blocking torrneting/downloading/w/e u want to call it; It would effect ALL of US customers not just you, Short answer Sprint does NOT block any torrneting/tethered/Hotspot/again w/e u want to call it; downloading.

If you had done any research on the statements made by Sprint themselves (Which your ignorance and ineptitude clearly have shown that you didn't) you would know that they only block or throttle certain ports known to be used for torrenting, and only in certain locations at the moment. AGAIN This is ALL COMING FROM SPRINT! This is why using vpns to port forward seems to work. Other people have had the exact same issue, and have also heard from Sprint that this is in their T and C. I made it really easy for you understand and gather the information for yourself only because it's a benefit to others to have this info. However I don't really like dealing with idiots so if you still don't get it after this, then I will just give up. I will continue posting this info on here and on other boards and forums to spread the word.

Maybe it's just their partners.... in central VA we don't have sprint towers we use ntelos towers, everyone I know who has sprint or boost mobile can't torrent with out a vpn like torgard...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

blastboi, thank you for you contribution. You and your friends are not alone in this experience. Maybe SGSIIIJB will see that he is not the only person in the world and that just because he doesn't experience a problem, it doesn't mean that others don't experience it. I really appreciate your help.

Edit: Reading more and more I am finding so much stuff that confirms this and I'm finding that most ISP's are throttling p2p in some way.

Last edited:

IA-32e

Oct 6, 2011
Portland, OR

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/756219

I'm in Portland, OR and I can't download torrents anymore. Tethered to my PC or from my native client. Sprint is doing something.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been cleaned. Warnings have been sent.

Any further violation of XDA's Forum Rules will result in further disciplinary action and this thread will be closed.

Please remember this is a public forum where people are allowed to express their opinions, their findings and so forth without having to worry about being beat up over it. In the words of my wise mama "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Thank you,
    Rwilco12
    lol no sprint does not block downloading torrents, I average 30gb a month using phone/tether I would know =)

all torrent apps work but i recommend using aTorrent it always seems to work.
    I've torrented maybe 400MB of stuff via my phone in the past week (through tethering to my laptop; WiFi is down, so I've had to use the hotspot.) They connected fine for me (through uTorrent), and I got at most around 400 kb/s, which is pretty okay. After reading some of these threads, I don't intend on doing it anymore though, I'd rather not have my contract cancelled.

SprintCare: