VS98024A - OTA manual install + Patched Stock Kernels

Search This thread

55Pegasus

Jan 22, 2011
Central California
Just flashed all three plus 12b modem and mounted system. Sitting on android is upgrading. Going to let it set for a few and see what happens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Chuckleb0ne

May 7, 2012
Renton, WA
Just flashed all three plus 12b modem and mounted system. Sitting on android is upgrading. Going to let it set for a few and see what happens.

Its not going to work. Ive been on that screen for a while and nothing happens. I also tried other modems and still aint having any luck.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

We might need to .tot restore to the most previous build of software, then attempt this all over again. But i aint doing that tonight, i might just do it the old fashioned way and adb it over to KitKat.

Reactions: 55Pegasus

55Pegasus

Jan 22, 2011
Central California
Its not going to work. Ive been on that screen for a while and nothing happens. I also tried other modems and still aint having any luck.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

We might need to .tot restore to the most previous build of software, then attempt this all over again. But i aint doing that tonight, i might just do it the old fashioned way and adb it over to KitKat.

Flashing back to stock. Will try again tomorrow. Time to sleep.

SimsDelt

Aug 31, 2010
Yeah that's why I kept my unlimited data. I will let it finish just to use VZW data. *sinister laugh until they throttle me*

Sent from my Xoom Wifi using Tapatalk

I do the same stuff on my unlimited too. And they can't throttle 4g (still can 3g)... It's illegal per their agreement with the FCC for the LTE frequency usage.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Cloudyfa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 16, 2005
HCM City
Main purpose of that ROM I uploaded is testing the patched kernel and trying to find the suitable bootstack so we can have a perfect KitKat with working recovery.

For those only want the KitKat (with root) itself and dont care about custom recovery, I may create a patch so you guys only need to flash that ROM + this patch to have KitKat on your device (but I must wait for xdabbeb to verify all the files he uploaded first to make sure it safe). It will save your time of doing all these things manually (and maybe a little hard for normal users)

Reactions: johnhale

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
@Savoca @Cloudyfa it seems like the kernel is booting fine, but people are getting stuck at the boot animation with the kernel that uses the 4.2 bootstack that we worked on a few weeks back. I had the same problem when I ported the TMobile G2 stock ROM over to my G2, and found that the sound wasn't getting initialized.. something due to the adsp failing to load proprietary software; and Android will fail to boot if there isn't working sound in most cases. Anyways, it all boiled down to the devtree (yet again). Try cherry-picking this -> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=bHEzEdac and rebuild

Last edited:

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
Well now I'm not so sure.. I just tried my own patch for that and I still couldn't get the sound to work, which is holding us back at the boot animation

It might just the the most obvious solution: we need Verizon's kernel source because there's a kernel change that we can't replicate right now

Last edited:

55Pegasus

Jan 22, 2011
Central California
When I got the system to boot, I check mobile network in setting. The screen would just flicker on and off like a florescent light bulb about to go out. In about phone all connections were blank.
Also, all sounds were working fine.

Last edited:

JackpotClavin

Feb 27, 2011
New York
Oh I had no clue it booted. That's great news then. Were you able to get a logcat or dmesg?

Last edited:

55Pegasus

Jan 22, 2011
Central California
Oh I had no clue it booted. That's great news then. Were you able to get a logcat or dmesg?

No, it was past 1:00 am and was a little fried.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 AM ----------

I'll give it another go and see what I can come up with.

Reactions: icebergz12

jesssiii

Aug 19, 2010
Southern CA
Ok, I'm going to try the manual method. It's been a while since I played with adb. Do I have to push the dlpkfile first and then run the "echo... command or is that being done by the "echo... command that the OP typed out?

Push the file first.

Sorry so late getting back to you but I fell asleep.

Guys, I think this thread is getting confusing between the OP's force OTA and the devs trying to get a kitkat rom with recovery working. Can it be split up?

VS980 VZW 24A-OTA

savoca

Oct 28, 2011
Pasadena
downloads.codefi.re
Google Pixel 7
The kernel I built was out of d802 source, this hasn't been a problem in the past but it's very possible that verizon hadn't pushed changes through when whoever handled d802 sent up their source. (This was the case for d803)

Worst case scenario, we just wait for vs980 source.

Cloudyfa

Dec 16, 2005
HCM City
The kernel I built was out of d802 source, this hasn't been a problem in the past but it's very possible that verizon hadn't pushed changes through when whoever handled d802 sent up their source. (This was the case for d803)

Worst case scenario, we just wait for vs980 source.

Have you tried with LS980 source?
Well, but yes i think pp should wait for VS980 source.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After interrupting the 11A to 12B OTA to see what was happening and decompiling certain framework bits along with the LGFOTA.apk I was able to figure out how to force the 24A OTA KitKat build to install. Thanks to @JackpotClavin for finding the bin file.

It looks like an official release is near, so if you aren't VERY comfortable with adb, etc. then this isn't for you, and please don't attempt it. As with any procedures of this sort you risk getting your phone in an unusable state and potentially worse. If you are comfortable with this and don't want to wait for the OTA, here's what I did to make it work. Hopefully this will also help others force future OTAs as the procedure should be transferable.

Manual OTA Install:
    1. Restore to 100% stock VS98012B via one of the available tot/kdz methods, then get root using the latest ioroot from autoprime (or do it manually). Don't install a recovery. Don't modify anything.
    2. Download the bin file from here and verify that the md5 is ebb9750e33574c7738a8256fb01a9e00
    3. Rename the file to dlpkgfile and push it to /cache/fota/
    4. From an adb shell run the following command:
      Code:
      echo "--update_package=/cache/fota/dlpkgfile" > /cache/recovery/command
      ** Note: If the recovery directory does not exist on your phone...create it :)
    5. From adb shell run the following command:
      Code:
      am start -n com.lge.lgfota.permission/com.lge.lgfota.permission.DmcEzUpdateStart
    6. The phone will restart on its own and go through the software update procedure.

Optional:

If you want a custom recovery, then you have a few more steps. JackpotClavin has already written up an excellent guide on how to do so HERE. Follow his steps 5-8 (as you've theoretically already followed this guide to get to 24A), and substitute one of the .lok files included in this archive for the file named "boot.emmc.win" in step 7. If you have already gone through that procedure and have a custom recovery, you can simply flash either of the following two zips:

xdabbeb_vs98024a_kernel_google_gcc

xdabbeb_vs98024a_kernel_linaro_gcc

Q: What's the difference between the two?
    A: One is built with the standard 4.6 gcc toolchain (same as stock LG) and the other is built with a linaro 4.7.4 optimized gcc toolchain.

Note: In order to have a custom recovery you need to be use an older (12b, 4.2.2) aboot/bootloader. At the same time, your laf partition (which is the one responsible for download mode) is now based on the new 24A OTA and won't work with the older aboot. All you need to do to get a working download mode again is dd the laf partition from 12b. You can find it right here. Since the only way you got to this point is by using dd to install an older aboot, I'll assume you can do the same thing for laf.

Devs: Feel free to use the kernels in your roms. Just give credit in your OP.
    Here the flashable zip file to test, make sure you did a full wipe before flashing:
    http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407582762
    (MD5: 0c0f55f64c5be1a287e2ddec4bcde272)

Remember to keep a copy of your working ROM so you can flash it if anything wrong happend. This one already included the system, kernel and modules needed for KitKat.

If you can boot into the system (patched kernel works), you should enter recovery and flash VS980 KitKat Baseband and SuperSU

If you stuck at boot logo, then flash your previous ROM and wait for a new patch from Savoca. (Then you will need to flash this ROM, and his later patch version)

Please test it and give us feedback.

Thanks @xdabbeb, @Savoca and @JackpotClavin for their hard work.
    Well, something very weird happend. We cant flash this system.img directly (for some reason it always make the file over 2.2Gb and all recovery cant read it) like other variants. I'll dump it and repack in folders format so you guys can flash it. Be patient.
    I'd like to aplogize in advance but the OP clearly states....
    This really is for devs and more advanced users, so I apologize, but I'm not going to be able to help people that run into problems. I've been through the procedure twice now so I know it works. I've also attached some of the system images below.

Call me what you will for this but if the OPs instructions don't work for you then you're not following them exactly as posted. You're not reading. You're not following the instructions EXACTLY. If this doesn't work for you on the first try - you're doing it wrong. I'm not really sure what the confusion regarding "100% stock" is with people. If you can't figure out what "100% stock" means then you probably shouldn't be trying to follow this procedure. If you can't properly rename a file then you probably shouldn't be trying to follow this procedure. If you can't figure out how to get back to 100% stock then you probably shouldn't be trying to follow this procedure. If you're not sure how to backup the files on your sdcard then you probably shouldn't be trying to follow this procedure.

If this process doesn't work for you on the first, or even second, try then you should probably stop & wait for someone to package up the contents into a flashable zip that you're comfortable with. It's better to wait & do something you're comfortable with than to bork your phone. Once again I apologize but if this doesn't work for you on the first or second try... you're flat out doing it wrong & not following the instructions in the OP & you need to give up before you make things worse for your device.
    Now it's gone, hope you got it.

No worries, I got it