[Q] ROM availability for Sprint S5, deodexed customization

Search This thread

Rhypht

Jun 29, 2014
This is a bit of a merge-post from two other forum posts I made (here and here) before I realized that there was a forum specifically for the G900P Galaxy S5.

To sum things up, I'm just kind of curious as to why it seems like there is next to zero custom ROMs that explicitly support the Sprint G900P version of the S5. The only one that I have found (which I am currently using) is the R.D.D.T ROM, as well as the other two similar builds of the same thing. This brings up my main question.

From what I've gathered, deodexed ROMs were originally used to be able to edit things such as status bar colors (clock, notification icons, etc) and even the icons themselves. They boot 'slower' but after the initial boot it is not that recognizable as newer hardware more than compensates for this issue.

So I have flashed a deodexed ROM onto my phone (R.D.D.T.). Now, this ROM also has an odexed version as well. I assumed that having the deodexed version would allow me to edit icons, colors, etc. However, I'm not quite sure how I can do it.

I have seen and read about people installing custom, deodexed ROMs onto their phones, and many of them (Alliance, X-Note) will come with either an app pre-installed on the ROM, or a ROM-specific menu in Settings. This menu lets them customize things in the way I would like to be able to. The problem is that, at this time, the G900P (Sprint) version of the Galaxy S5 is not supported by either of those ROMs, or many other popular ROMs for that matter. R.D.D.T. (and R.O.D.T as well as the Mystery Build) was one of the only ROMs I could find that explicitly supports the G900P. I like the concept of this ROM, as it seems like a good, no BS bloat-less ROM that is otherwise very close to stock Android. But, I do not believe it came with any ROM-specific way of editing colors, themes, icons, etc. So my question is a few parts I guess:

-Is there still a way (downloadable app, editing files, etc) for me to be able to edit colors on the S5 with this ROM?
-In a situation like this, what is the benefit of having a deodexed ROM installed?
-Are there other ROMs similar to R.D.D.T. that currently support the G900P S5 which additionally offer customization?
-What is it with the Galaxy S5 that is causing so many ROMs to not officially support it?

Sorry for the long post, but my primary aim here is to learn everything that I can about this.

Rhypht

Jun 29, 2014

I just switched to this per your recommendation. It had quite a bit more included than the ultra-streamlined R.D.D.T, but definitely a lot of customization there! Though I sort of wish it had an option to link certain aspect's colors together, like Alliance or other ROMs allow. Instead you have to go through and copy/paste a color for each aspect. Nit-picking though :p

Anyway, I do appreciate the suggestion, but I'm still looking for an answer to my question regarding the needs/desires for a deodexed ROM. I'd have to imagine that M.O.A.R. is deodexed because of the color changing capabilities it has, yet R.D.D.T. is also deodexed, but doesn't support these kinds of changes. As I stated in my OP, I was under the impression that customization was the primary reason for a deodexed ROM.

dpwhitty11

Aug 15, 2010
Houston, TX
Deodexed just means you can rip/push/edit whatever you want inside an apk (images, parameters) and not have to rebuild the odex file for the apk. You can do the same things on odexed, its just a *****. Deodexed is just far far far easier to edit.

Also, as for MOAR and RDDT: just imagine that MOAR has a built in gravitybox. That's literally all it is.

Source: I cooked some roms back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rhypht

Jun 29, 2014
Deodexed just means you can rip/push/edit whatever you want inside an apk (images, parameters) and not have to rebuild the odex file for the apk. You can do the same things on odexed, its just a *****. Deodexed is just far far far easier to edit.

Also, as for MOAR and RDDT: just imagine that MOAR has a built in gravitybox. That's literally all it is.

Source: I cooked some roms back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I see. Is that something you can do after the ROM is flashed? As in, could I flash R.D.D.T. and then edit an APK and reboot to get that effect? Or is it done upon building the ROM itself?