[Case][Review] TPU-cases Matte back black

Search This thread

limeaid

Aug 22, 2011
New York
Anyone in NYC (Manhattan) interested in a black matte case? I have one that I've never used. Willing to sell it for $6. It's still in the original packaging. PM me if interested

tracerit

Jan 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
i love this case. it fits perfectly. i've been taking it on/off each day before and after work and it's still held up after three months. i also dropped my phone with it on onto concrete from standing height and it held up very well. not a scratch on the case even.

tony4681

Aug 10, 2010
I just order another case after giving my first 2 away to my sisters. The one i got today the rocker buttoms are easy to press with out any force. The previous 2 i had to make some cuts on the inside sides of the rockers buttons.

Wish they made more colors in matted.

ericpd

Aug 27, 2007
Last edited:

RubenRybnik

Jan 6, 2012
Cary, NC
Got my TPU case today ... $8 off amazon, absolutely love it! For the price you just can't beat it. Fits snug on the phone, cut outs all in the right place, yea, the volume buttons are a tiny bit hard to press down, but seriously it's not a big deal at all. Do yourself a favor and pick on up :eek:)

Staked

Dec 23, 2011
Midwest
I'm ordering the matte black one from Amazon for my soon to be delivered 3vo and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent clip that works well with the TPU case. I don't really want a pouch. Just a basic clip.

geolemon

Dec 10, 2010
If you mean one of those 1900mah or 2000mah batteries that fit under the stock batter cover, then yes.

If you mean one of those 3800mah batteries that require a custom back cover and double the thickness of your phone, then of course not.

But depending on the custom back battery cover and how wide/fluid/sculpted the hump is, a little creativity and an xacto knife, you might be able to cut out the case to let the hump protrude through, to make it fit. For $8, I'd try it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
Forum Rules:
7. Do not spam.

If you wish to advertise a product, contact us we provide ads. But do not post it in the forums, it will be removed and you're likely to receive a ban.
You are however allowed to sell used goods like your own device, parts of your device or accessories for your device in the marketplace forum, please read the rules there before posting. (This rule includes signatures, if you use a signature it will appear in your post)

That means that promoting your merchandise and conducting business on XDA is forbidden.

azr6

Nov 15, 2009
So I have had this case since I bought the phone last year. It works and I have had to use it on some drops and it worked perfectly.

Only problem I have is after all this time the case has scratched the entire lip of the phone all the way around. Anyone else have this issue? It just looks almost likes it's somehow faded it. I very rarely take the case off btw.

Reactions: slick4mitch

sniper

Jan 30, 2012
San Diego
So I have had this case since I bought the phone last year. It works and I have had to use it on some drops and it worked perfectly.

Only problem I have is after all this time the case has scratched the entire lip of the phone all the way around. Anyone else have this issue? It just looks almost likes it's somehow faded it. I very rarely take the case off btw.

I haven't had anything like that. The only problem I have had is just cosmetic where certain parts like around the corners and edges have become a different shade of black and looks like a different texture probably from going in and out of a pocket.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

slick4mitch

Oct 11, 2009

Yep, same problem, all scratched from using the TPU case but oh well, it was a good case nonetheless.

skeptikal

Nov 28, 2008
Yep, same problem, all scratched from using the TPU case but oh well, it was a good case nonetheless.

I'm not really sure how a case that damages your phone in any way can still be a good case. Isn't that the whole purpose of the thing in the first place? I just bought one of these but if it scratches the hell out of your phone maybe I will return it. Then again this phone is just an off-contract hold-over phone until LTE rolls through my area anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.

Do you have any pics of the scratching mitch? Thanks,

Casey

azr6

Nov 15, 2009
I'm not really sure how a case that damages your phone in any way can still be a good case. Isn't that the whole purpose of the thing in the first place? I just bought one of these but if it scratches the hell out of your phone maybe I will return it. Then again this phone is just an off-contract hold-over phone until LTE rolls through my area anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.

Do you have any pics of the scratching mitch? Thanks,

Casey

I'll get pictures later today and post up. It shouldn't happen and the case covers it but when the case is off it's definitely noticeable.

skeptikal

Nov 28, 2008
I'll get pictures later today and post up. It shouldn't happen and the case covers it but when the case is off it's definitely noticeable.

Cool, thanks. Are you talking the top lip of the phone is faded? the lip around the face of the phone? Post those pics if u get a chance. Thanks again.

someguyatx

Feb 7, 2012
Louisville
I bought one of these but rarely use it, now that I know it scratches up phones I think it will go on ebay. It was overpriced anyway

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
A lot of cases will end up scratching part of the phone where the case ends because it gets dust/dirt particles underneath it. This has happened to any phone that I used a silicone/hard silicone case on. Also with my original iPod touch, the case caused the back to get scratched and where the case met the screen got all messed up even with the Invisible shield on the screen. THe actual screen is fine but the shield got messed up.

This is also why I went with using Ghost Armor film on my phones (OG Evo and all my Blackberry's) and not using a case. Another alternative is to use a leather pouch case that has a soft material inside, these are great for when you put your phone in a backpack or in your car but not for your pocket.

I just got my Epic Touch and will be going to a Ghost Armor kiosk shortly to get the screen protector on and one for the battery door. I had the matte back on my Evo battery door and I really liked it. I am done trying to install these myself, I have wasted too much money because I am crazy about dust and always end up ruining the skin.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a review of a case made by TPU-cases.com of their Matte back black case.

TPU-cases.com: http://tpu-cases.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36&products_id=147

1st impression:

I received the case prior to getting my Epic 4G Touch, and after opening it up and taking a brief look, I was rather impressed by the case. The materials used are good quality and it looks well made. Initially I did notice that the surface of the case is a little slippery, but its nothing too bad. Overall I had a very good 1st impression of the case.

There was a screen protector included but I fail pretty badly trying to put those on. I normally don't use a screen protector on my phones, but I wanted to give it a try for the sake of review purposes and I was unable to get it installed correctly. This may be user error, but it looks like it may be a combo of an error of mine and the screen protector... it was addressed here by the owner of TPU-cases, OneStepAhead.

After I got the phone:

I received my Epic 4G Touch at 10am on the 16th, launch day. After getting everything set up and activated through Sprint, I installed the case before leaving the store. I was very impressed at how well the case fit, it was a perfect fit. Installation was very easy as well, I had zero trouble getting the case on properly.

One thing I noticed about the phone is that the camera on the back was going to come in contact with whatever surface you lay the phone on. I noticed that right away and was instantly hoping the case would solve that issue, and it did. When you install the case, it sets the camera back in a little so that the lens of the camera doesn't make contact with the surface, which I loved. Also on the front of the phone, the case provides a small lip around the whole phone, which provides a little protection for your screen if you were to set it on a table with the screen down. Overall this helps protect your phone and TPU-cases did a good job.

When I was trying to decide on getting a case for this phone, I was worried about the case taking away the benefit of the thinness of the device, which was a main selling point of the phone for me. I was pleasantly surprised that this case doesn't add much thickness at all, its only very minor and it still preserves the overall slim profile of the device, which is great.

I was also wondering about use of the ports and buttons on the phone with the case being there. The headphone jack, power button, micro usb port, and microphone are all easily accessible and unaffected. I did plug a Samsung headphone into the 3.5mm headphone jack without a problem. The power button is easy to press and is uncovered. There is no problem plugging the micro usb in to charge... the speaker and microphone is uncovered as well.

The only small downside to this case is the volume rocker. When I press the volume rocker to adjust the volume, you definitely have to press it a little harder than normal, and there is a cover over top of the buttons. You can still control the volume, it just is not as easy as I would like it to be. This is not anything that is going to stop me from purchasing the case, and as a whole it's pretty minor to me.

Pictures:

I took 4 pictures to hopefully show the points I've made in this review for you all. I apologize is the quality of the pictures isn't great, it was taken with another cell phone camera as I was taking pictures of the new phone. If anyone would like additional pictures of the case I'd be happy to take them.

2011-09-17122948.jpg

2011-09-17123031.jpg

2011-09-17123108.jpg

2011-09-17143353.jpg

Conclusion:

As a whole, this case I got from TPU-cases.com is great, and I'd highly recommend taking a look. The value you get for a very small price is awesome and I will be buying more cases from them (I like to change cases from time to time). Thank you TPU-cases for providing a great product. I give TPU-cases a 9/10 and the only point taken away is for the volume rocker.

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer.
    Thanks for this! Glad to hear you are happy with the case. I don't know if anyone mentioned it in this thread, but the screen protectors we included are not cut properly. They are cut to the exact size of the glass which makes them near if not impossible to install without the edges peeling up. I'll be sending replacement screen protectors to those that request them once I receive the fixed ones. It's disappointing, it's the first time we included screen protectors with our cases and the first time using this screen protector supplier. Live and learn I guess. Please don't send me messages about the screen protector yet, I'll post something about it here and on our website closer to the time I'll have replacements. For the time being I've just removed any mention of the cases coming with screen protectors so future customers wont have any expectations of receiving one with their case (although they still will receive one).

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

A user on Androidforums posted that his daughter knocked his phone off the dining room table and it dropped about 3.5 feet. He had a TPU case on it and it came out perfectly fine with no damage.

Yeah I saw that, must be pretty popular choice. Hope they get more in soon for ya.

This is the 2nd time making the matte cases, the first time we did it for the Evo 3D after receiving a ton of requests for. They ended up not selling very well though. I think I had 500 of the matte black made for Evo 3D and I still have 1/2 of them 6 weeks later. The Epic 4G Touch on the other hand I sold out of 500 before the phone was even released! I'm telling people 9/23 but I actually think they will be in on Tuesday or Wednesday. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    You thinking of just using an exacto knife? If you do it, please report back with pictures!

I cut out the part covering the volume rocker. It's MUCH easier to adjust the volume now. Pictures below. The knife I used to cut it can be seen in the second picture:

Before:

20110920_223855.jpg

After:

20110920_225312.jpg

Edit : btw, pictures were taken with my Epic 4G Touch!
    It has plastic around the edge where the screen is, but the case is kinda a hard rubber feel to it. It's easy to bend it with the cover off the phone, so it is flexible, but feels solid on the phone.

The TPU material is Thermoplastic Polyurethane.

Regarding in and out of pockets, I haven't had any trouble at all. The texture feels a slightly slippery at 1st but it's not bad at all in my opinion... not very grippy, but still able to grab it cuz of the size of the phone. I wear jeans A LOT, and all day today wearing jeans I was easily able to get it in and out with no problems (the phone is all I had in the pocket fwiw).

I also dropped the phone for the 1st time today when I was trying to do to many things at once, fell about 3 feet, and survived like the drop never happened.
    i got my et4g and tpu case both today and immediately put it on. the case is as everyone has stated, nice & tight fit. i went with the black gloss and very glad i did...it is very elegant and looks classy. i was thinking to get the kickstand as well, but now i don't know. this is really nice.

***the et4g and tpu case together fit perfectly in the holster i was using for my e4g. it is a nice and snug fit and looks really good. this is the holster im using just in case anyone wants to go with it.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QQED5O (the price is just right [$5~] and believe me the build quality is superb. excellent, inexpensive and perfect with the TPU).