[HANDS-ON] Galaxy Note 3 Connectivity thread - USB OTG/MHL etc!

Search This thread
Z

zylor

Anyone can confirm me that the Allshare Dongle Cast from Samsung works with the Note 3?

I bought one in a phisical store in here, and had to return it because i couldn't get it to work...

If anyone confirms to me that it does work, i will order another one, maybe because it was a defective unit!

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Anyone can confirm me that the Allshare Dongle Cast from Samsung works with the Note 3?

I bought one in a phisical store in here, and had to return it because i couldn't get it to work...

If anyone confirms to me that it does work, i will order another one, maybe because it was a defective unit!

I've used it with mine and it worked.

That said it is impossible to recommend - get a Netgear Miracast Dongle instead. Much more open standard and likely to work with other devices and future devices, which still working with the Note 3 (the Netgear is cheaper to boot).

Reactions: babyshanks

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
Anyone found any ethernet dongles that work? Been looking for something along those lines for a while....

Reactions: babyshanks

babyshanks

Oct 28, 2013
Minneapolis

Holy poo on a stick!!! Thanks so much for this info. Thought sammy was going to make it only functional with their receivers. I have an older netgear ptv2000 I've had sitting in a drawer for the last year and a half, and just whipped it out to test and sure enough full 1080 hd mirror. Super awesome that you can play a video in the mirror while accessing other apps like messages.

nyep05

Nov 17, 2013
Note 3 with MHL (2?)

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, not entirely sure if I posted this in the right thread, but here goes.

I just recently got my 2nd MHL cable today from a local reseller. I bought this 2nd one after reading that fake mhl 2 cables are sometimes mhl 1. And the first one ran only in 1080p 30hz. This new one is supposed be an official Samsung product. Comparing it side by side with my first one which was a china knock off, i could tell that it had way better craftsmanship. Even the box was legit looking, to my standards it seemed so. It looked exactly the same as it does from the samsung website.

The question: How come it still runs only at 1080p 30hz on my TV? They both work with or without a micro usb charger. But only run half the the speed its supposed to run. What's interesting is that, when I tried attaching them to my Pc monitor, they both run perfectly 1080 60hz without input lag? I tried moving to different hdmi ports of my TV, but they all run at 30hz. I even tried plugging it in another 720p tv, and that ran a little better than my full hd tv. Couldn't tell if it was 30 or 60 though, but it was a bit less laggy.

Please help, anyone got this problem with their note 3?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

nyep05

Nov 17, 2013
Mhl 1 can only run 1080p at 30hz

Thanks for the response.

I'm sure the new one I got is the original MHL 2. I checked the serial number and even called samsung to verify it. Please see attached pic of the cable in question.

So it should run at 1080p 60hz right? What's also intriguing is that the fake one behaves, exactly the same. Runs 60hz when connected to a PC monitor (at 720p though not 1080p) Will correct my post above.

Let me also mention that I've tried different HDMI cables, all work the same way.

:confused:

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Thanks for the response.

I'm sure the new one I got is the original MHL 2. I checked the serial number and even called samsung to verify it. Please see attached pic of the cable in question.

So it should run at 1080p 60hz right? What's also intriguing is that the fake one behaves, exactly the same. Runs 60hz when connected to a PC monitor (at 720p though not 1080p) Will correct my post above.

Let me also mention that I've tried different HDMI cables, all work the same way.

:confused:

Mhl 1 can do 720p 60 so that's consistent

Reactions: nyep05

billiy

Jun 2, 2012
there are a lot of tvs that will show 1080p in broadcast but only 720p hdmi pc ect I have 3 in my house a vizio 24 in my office a Samsung 37 in my bedroom and a LG 24 in my daughters room. all where bought cheap. if I want hi end I have a LG 60 1080 120 hz in my family room. the only one with a blue ray or a 1080p roku.

nyep05

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks billiy and NZtechfreak for the responses!

I thought about that too, that It might be because I have a cheapo LG TV. But my question to you is this, how come i can run the PS3, appleTV and the Ouya (yup I already bought one today :D) on the same cheapo TV at 1080 60p? Would that make any difference? :eek: I'm really lost on this one. Sorry I'm such an android noob.

mj111996

Apr 30, 2012
Mumbai
My note 3 sm-n900 is not detecting xbox 360 wired controller help me,usb debugging is on

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

I got a good few hours with the Galaxy Note 3 over the weekend, tried out a bunch of stuff and can answer a lot of the questions people have here in relation to what sorts of connectivity work and which don't (the USB 3.0 has people wondering whether their existing stuff will work).

A few findings of mine from the weekend:
    • External drives work, but unfortunately NTFS formatted drives still don't work on stock ROMs. It had the power to spin up a 1TB Seagate drive! Unfortunately the drive was NTFS formatted so couldn't do more to see how well it was working, but definitely was powered with a solid indicator light. Promising.
    • The Smart Dock works with the Note 3
    • The S3/Note 2 MHL adapters definitely work
    • The Samsung MHL 2.0 adapter works without needing a charging input plugged in and IS outputting at 60Hz
    • USB audio working, I tried several DACs. The ones that worked were the HiFimeDIY, Tiny-M, HeadAmp Pico. Unfortunately Apex Glacier did not work (did not work on the S4 either).
    • USB keyboards/mice working as they did with the older Samsungs
    • PS3 controller working over USB OTG
    • Ditto for the Xbox 360 for Microsoft controller (which required an app on older Samsungs in order to work)
    • Logitech F310 controller works too
    • Ditto the Logitech F710
    • It also worked with a cheapie gamepad from Ebay (like $6), although button mappings seemed limited and did not have time to try it in emulators etc to see whether all could be mapped.
    • BT keyboard and mouse working, as expected
    • IR blaster via the inbuilt app works great with my LG TV
    • MHL and USB OTG do not work together using the Samsung MHL 2.0 adapter
    • Moga Pro gamepad working well
    • Tried several ethernet adapters, none work.

Unfortunately the one I had did not have the USB 3.0 cable/charger, so could not benchmark read/write speeds or charging speeds using that connectivity.

UPDATE:
    Ba9XJZ8CMAER-Pi.jpg:large

This arrived for me this week, finally got around to testing it tonight and can confirm it works well, which is a great result for the $11USD it cost me from Ebay (including shipping). Considering it basically does everything the Samsung Smart Dock does I'm well pleased.

Few notes:

Yes, it is MHL 1.0 - I kind of expect them to revise these to MHL 2.0 before Samsung actually get around to releasing an updated dock.

USB OTG functions will not work without a 2A Samsung charger connected apparently, I was initially using a cheap charger that happened to be in the multi-board the TV was plugged into and was disappointed when nothing would work. Got of my lazy @$$ and grabbed my Samsung charger and all working. Plugged in my externally powered USB hub and then a Logitech K400 keyboard/mouse combo, card reader with a 16GB full-sized SD card in it and also a Logitech F710 controller. Happily watched some video from the card and then played some Dead Trigger 2 on the HDTV with the controller.
    This one rocks!

I'm happy to inform you all that this one is working for the Galaxy Note 3, you can totally charge your phone as you use HDMI with a USB gamepad attached to it. Just make sure, you have USB Debugging Mode set to OFF (or it won't charge at all).

$(KGrHqRHJBQFJpnzWS1+BS,zL!BOzw~~60_12.JPG

$16 sent from US (I got it quite fast):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/231081384652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    i am also said we still can not do MHL with a USB keyboard+mouse and video out.

That could turn it into a portable laptop. Which is why I want a Note anyway. It's big. Ideally I'd also like it if the Flipcover had a built in bluetooth keyboard with hardware keys or perhaps someone made a QWERTY slider case for it. Yes I know it is big but yes it is what I ideally want.

How cool would it be to set your Note down, plug in keyboard, mouse, and to a monitor? Bam. Get to work (or surfing). Heck I'd probably stop using my laptop for a lot of things! Get a mini-USB hub for like 5 bucks and the possibilities are endless. Would be really cool if someone set up an easy dual-boot Linux and Android ROM too or maybe that is around. But the key is having video AND keyboard/mouse at the same time. I think over time Samsung will add this, though. They deliver on cool features like this. I bet it would be possible to add in an update of software to the Note 3??? USB 3 has so much bandwidth shouldn't it be possible?
    After reading all of this, what is the best thing to do with a Note 3? I want to use it with my 27 inch panel and blue tooth mouse/keyboard.

MHL Cable...and if so, buy from where? Some combination of items? Is there a way to both MHL and charge the phone?

Thanks!

It seems the answers to your questions are all in the post you quoted. My guess is that you aren't certain what MHL is. While I don't know exactly how it works, what MHL does is it allows video and audio to be output through the usb port of the device. So with an MHL adapter, you can plug in an HDMI cable to the adapter and display your phone screen onto an external screen, whether that is a TV, monitor, etc.

This adapter apparently has MHL compatibility in that he reported it working to have HDMI output. He also answered your question about it charging the phone at the same time. He also mentioned that a USB gamepad worked, which likely means that USB keyboard and mouse would work.

So what YOU need to buy then, is that adapter (based on the other user's report of it working), a regular HDMI cable (assuming your 27 inch panel has HDMI in), and your bluetooth or usb keyboard/mouse.
    Anyone can recommend a mhl 2.0 adapter because on amazon the review are 50-50 saying that they are fake?

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Buy it from the Samsung store, that's pretty much the only way right now to ensure you get the genuine article. It's $39.99 in the US but while placing the order I registered my phone with them, then used the 50% off coupon they mailed me for registering to get it for $19.99 plus shipping.

Sure beats playing Russian roulette on Amazon.