Which linux distro on my usb?

Search This thread

Il Giulione

Jan 9, 2012
Genoa
Hi guys, my question is quite simple: which linux distro should I put on a usb drive (is it correctly written? However I'm pretty sure you have understood what I would say)?
I would approach to linux world but the only computer we have is the home computer and, if I made a dual boot or erased windows, my parents would not be so happy: so I have decided to use linux by putting it on a usb drive, so that after my use my parents could use the ordinary computer the know.
I have tried puppy linux: it's small and fast but, if I'm not wrong, it's not a so popular distro, at least as a permanent os, and so there aren't so many app for it and many of the available ones are not updated. Moreover the commands are difficult to find and for a noob this isn't certainly good.
I have seen xpud too but it is not longer developed, right?
So, which distro should I put on a usb drive to use linux os? I'm a classical pc standard user: some internet, some music, some films,nothing else.
About this computer, I just know it has 4 gb ram, puppy linux worked well.
Thanks for the eventual answers and sorry for the boring question :good:

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Ubuntu. It works really well for both new and experienced people. It's also really easy to find or get help if something breaks since it's the most popular distro, so google or go to ubuntuforums.org for help and advice.

Any other questions?

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

LoopDoGG79

Feb 26, 2012
Modesto, Cali
uzyha6ep.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

SacredMyths

Jan 10, 2014
Gonna have to go with Ubuntu also. I installed it on my old laptop a few months ago. Pretty easy to learn and not too confusing.

Il Giulione

Jan 9, 2012
Genoa
Are you sure ubuntu will work well on a usb drive? Is not it too heavy? My computer has 4 gb of ram but however it is not so recent

I have forgotten to say my pc is 32 bit!

Inviato dal mio XT1032 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

pencil42

Feb 20, 2014
Kraków
I lost my usb, but I'd recommend going with pear os, you can't download it but I have a x64 iso if u want

Sent from tapatalk using my C2105

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Are you sure ubuntu will work well on a usb drive? Is not it too heavy? My computer has 4 gb of ram but however it is not so recent

I have forgotten to say my pc is 32 bit!

It'll run just fine. The bottleneck here might be your USB drive, but it should run just fine. I used to run Ubuntu on a tiny netbook with 1GB RAM and an Intel Atom processor. I managed to push it down to only use 70MB RAM on boot, so it's possible to strip Ubuntu down like crazy, much like Android.

Il Giulione

Jan 9, 2012
Genoa
I've just tried ubuntu installed on a usb drive and it sucked ;)

Il Giulione

Jan 9, 2012
Genoa
The first one: it was really slow. Maybe, for my request, puppy linux is the best distro...but I really don't like it...

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
The first one: it was really slow. Maybe, for my request, puppy linux is the best distro...but I really don't like it...

Of course Puppy will be the fastest when it's like 50 MB :p Get a faster USB drive or install it through Wubi so it'll get installed as a regular Windows program. You'll be able to dual boot, but just uninstall it as usual from Windows if you want to remove it. It's idiot proof. You can't mess it up.

LoopDoGG79

Feb 26, 2012
Modesto, Cali
Of course Puppy will be the fastest when it's like 50 MB :p Get a faster USB drive or install it through Wubi so it'll get installed as a regular Windows program. You'll be able to dual boot, but just uninstall it as usual from Windows if you want to remove it. It's idiot proof. You can't mess it up.

aze9a7y3.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 edition.

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
OnePlus 7T
Doesnt this question belong to Desktops and Laptops Thread ***All in One***

It's going to be LEGEND--wait for it--DARY!!!-Barney Stinson(How I Met Your Mother)

G

GuestK00178

I have the same situation and I've been using Ubuntu with a USB SD reader, but it runs really slow for me, because of low SD card speeds. I might try Arch Linux next.

Sent from my sushi grade tuna

Il Giulione

Jan 9, 2012
Genoa
I have the same situation and I've been using Ubuntu with a USB SD reader, but it runs really slow for me, because of low SD card speeds. I might try Arch Linux next.

Sent from my sushi grade tuna

Fedora works faster, now I'm going to buy an usb drive 16 gb to test lubuntu ;) thanks for all your answers, I love this forum