[MOD] FFC for the Vibrant development

Search This thread

gagb1967

Aug 23, 2010
Duluth, USA
The fring devs fixed that bug

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

I just tried fring and it does not recognize de front camera still....
Could somebody post a step by step in how to change the info in prop file?
Would it affect other possible updates, screwing something else if model is changed?
I have some minimum banding in dark places (but I don't see it in the actual picture) but no banding in daylight, I can post pics vid if you like.
It got much better after doing 2 things:
Adjusting quality in front camera,
Changing TV output from NTSC to PAL (could this change something in the cam? after all the I9000 europe is pal)

Runing bionix 1.9.1 w/Jacs OC/UV kernel
Front Face Camera

aloxotls

Nov 23, 2009
Tomball, TX
Download SGS tools from the market
use the .prop editor and edit the system/build.prop
hit the menu key and then the block/unblock option
go down to the ro.product.model and enter GT-I9000
hit the menu key, block/unblock and then save
reboot

I just tried fring and it does not recognize de front camera still....
Could somebody post a step by step in how to change the info in prop file?
Would it affect other possible updates, screwing something else if model is changed?
I have some minimum banding in dark places (but I don't see it in the actual picture) but no banding in daylight, I can post pics vid if you like.
It got much better after doing 2 things:
Adjusting quality in front camera,
Changing TV output from NTSC to PAL (could this change something in the cam? after all the I9000 europe is pal)

Runing bionix 1.9.1 w/Jacs OC/UV kernel
Front Face Camera

orells

May 31, 2009
Nope but with the build.prop changed it does

rjscott2005

Aug 16, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia
public class Camera.Parameters

I'm not a dev but I'm thinking the link posted by silox2000 is possibly pretty important ;). Possibly something useful like--

Constants
String ANTIBANDING_50HZ
String ANTIBANDING_60HZ
String ANTIBANDING_AUTO
String ANTIBANDING_OFF

Anyway, just thinking out loud.
Posted this in the other thread and it was recommended that I post it here:

Just a thought to kick around some ideas, has anyone looked at this?

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/Camera.Parameters.html

Looks like there are a few options that could be tweaked, including 'antibanding' for 50 and 60hz

chadti99

Jun 14, 2010
SPH-D700 also works for the ro.product.model, this is the Epic4G model. Only Fring, didn't work for Tango :(

fwiw, audio/video in Fring sucks, can't wait for Tango support, nice to see something working though :)

Last edited:

MichaelB91

Jul 20, 2010
Tango released an update today that says it should work with galaxy s phones. my brother and i tried and it didn't work. maybe its only for the international one? can you guys try your sgs tools trick and see if it works?

chadti99

Jun 14, 2010
Confirmed, Tango WORKS with latest market update and model set to SPH-D700! :)

Like the previous post suggested, swype is broken :(

Last edited:

MichaelB91

Jul 20, 2010
so sgs tools breaks swype, but if you restore the setting back to how they were will swype work again?

adamcooks

Aug 4, 2010
NYC
so sgs tools breaks swype, but if you restore the setting back to how they were will swype work again?

I have now gone back and forth between fring and tango find that tango is far better. yes you just have to change the device in the build.prop

fring = GT-i9000
tango = SPH-D700

I have started a thread on the tango website pleading with them to add us to the "green light" list

http://gsfn.us/t/1npva

chadti99

Jun 14, 2010
SPH-D700 works for both Tango and Fring on Bionix 1.8, voodoo kernel.

The audio quality in Tango needs a tweak, video quality is pretty decent.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

orells

May 31, 2009
Anyone have the swype keyboard from the epic or i9000 pref epic since it works with both fring and tango

Sent from my GT-i9000 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MODDING THE SAMSUNG VIBRANT TO HAVE A FRONT FACING CAMERA (FFC)

DISCLAIMER: It is NOT my fault if this Breaks your Device, or if you screw it up trying to do it. blah blah you know the drill. XDA is also not responsible. This WILL void your warranty. Luckily it is easy to do.

***THIS IS ONLY FOR THE VIBRANT***
    Other phones are slightly different inside

Required:
    -Compatible rom (Bionix fusion or eugene's froyo or any rom that the dev specifically says ffc compatiable)
    -JAC's OC/UV Kernel. Stock kernel will not work, period. Voodoo should also work KK's kernel also does not work.
    -An FFC, of course (see below for where to get it)

HOW TO DO IT:
    1. Open your phone
    2. Remove the 7 screws or so
    3. Remove the internal battery cover.
    4. Remove your Vibrant camera... it is snapped in under the cam chip.
    5. Using Goof OFF! or denatured alcohol or something similar, dip a q-tip in the chemical, and slightly dab the whole where it is to go.
    6. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes, and repeat (or if you are anxious, don't wait...)
    7. Using something plastic for the safety of the digitizer glass, and scrape out the gunk.
    8. Now, definitely let everything dry before putting your phone back together, and MOST definitely before you put the battery in and turn it on. Give it 20-30 minutes to be safe... depends on the chemical used.

I used a flat head screw driver, which is metal, but if you choose this USE EXTREME CAUTION!!

For more info, go to my thread in the General section as I may have missed something/got something wrong in this post. It has been a while since I first did this mod...

Useful tidbits:
    If you get force closes when trying to use a the cam, then you did not read instructions. Use the proper kernel.

Banding is present in low light conditions. This looks to be a software issue. Popular belief is that the phone is powering both cameras at the same time when either is called, and is basically confusing itself. This is a work in progress.

Software that is known to work is Fring, various lame mirror apps, etc. Android video calling is only available in Froyo, but I have not tested it recently since Eugene's R3, so I cannot confirm that it working ATM. Tango may also work.

Attached the mach.aries file for those of you that wanna chip in and do some digging. Looks like most of the things we need are in there. Attached a .rar and a .zip file... for some reason I had both? It's been a loooong couple weeks.

Epic camera: thanks to KellyLewis3985 for the dl.
    http://db.tt/0DEkw9X

How to Flash:

1. Download the ZIP and put it on the root of your INTERNAL SD Card.

2. Open ROM Manager and boot into ClockWorkMod (DO NOT use Stock Recovery) or boot into recovery the manual way.

3. Navigate down to "apply sdcard: select zip" and locate the .zip file in your internal SD card. Push the power button, navigate down to "YES" and push the power button once more.

4. Let it do its thing, and reboot. First boot *may* take an extra second... Play with new cam app.

To get a cam:

Just got some more cams ordered... should have them by the weekend, so any orders now will start shipping 11/8 in the order they are received.

Go here: http://bit.ly/8ZEPW4
    So i've been using the axura rom which had a camera app that supported ffc and recently switched to Loki and bionix-v to change things up but can't install the i9000 camera. I looked for the i9000 cam zip but only found the apk so after using some generic app installer it just says app was not installed. Is there something i'm doing wrong? how are you guys getting the apks working? i can't download the epic cam either, the links in this post lead me to an error page. am i just a dumb noob?

Try this FFC Mod. Just flash via CWM. Hope this can help you.:DView attachment FFC_Mod.zip
    I personally am still working on a cam app that shuts down the cam that is not in use. This is the problem the ffc is always on causing a lack of power to the rear cam.

Ok im in the testing process of 2.2 kernels. We can make the banding worse, I know for a fact it can be fixed will just take some time. Please be as patient as possible.

Ok everyone I have a good friend building kernels with higher voltage. My app failed, it would shut both cams off indicating that the power from the rear cam is also the power to the ffc with no way to bypass the ffc for a fix. Hopefully we will have this fixed soon.