[MOD] FFC for the Vibrant development

Search This thread

backward0

Dec 5, 2009
Me & barak has been talking about this, as he just got his FFC & we both think it's a Ground issue based on Past errors with a ground lead on a BH2 & Galaxy phone that both reproduced similar results..

Improper ground will result in sync issues.
~Eugene

bum bum buuuum. This sucks... wouldn't this complicate things significantly?

orells

May 31, 2009
Yes it would, doesnt the bell vibrant have an ffc, might not be a bad idea to compare model numbers

Sent from my GT-i9000 using XDA App

bullale

Jul 19, 2010
bum bum buuuum. This sucks... wouldn't this complicate things significantly?

Finally an issue I can actually help with. I do a lot of low-amplitude electric signal processing and encounter grounding issues on a daily basis.

One way to determine if it is a grounding issue is to create a make-shift faraday cage.
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE OR FRY YOUR TV.
Step 1, get a box. Step 2, cut a hole in that box that the camera can take a picture through. Step 3, put some junk in the box that will prop the phone up so it can freestand. Step 4, cover the box in tin foil. You're going to want to open and close the box several times so a shoe box is good, and separately foil the box and the lid but make sure the foil from the box and lid touch each other when the box is closed. Step 5, take a wire (old speaker wire) and strip the ends, wrap one end tightly around the 3rd (circular) prong of some electronic device you have, MAKE SURE THE WIRE DOES NOT TOUCH THE OTHER 2 VERTICAL PRONGS. Plug the device into the wall. Alternatively, and possibly safer, you can wrap a stripped end of the wire around the pipes under your kitchen sink if you live in a really old house with copper pipes.

Now do your test. Put the phone on airplane mode (also turn off wifi). Put the camera on a timer, put the phone in the box, close the box, take a picture through the hole. Next, clip the free end of the wire to the tin foil. Take the same picture.

Compare the images. If the grounded version is significantly better, then it's probably a grounding issue. If they are the same, it doesn't necessarily rule out grounding. The noise could be coming from the phone itself. There is no easy way to test for this without risking damage to the phone.

If it is indeed a grounding issue, then it probably does complicate things. Either the i9000 cam has the ground on a different pin or no ground at all. It is possible but exceedingly rare that the pin used for ground is software selectable. Therefore, any fix would likely involve soldering. However, this raises the bigger problem, if the ground is on the wrong pin, then what else is on the wrong pin?

A final note, there is never a good ground on a mobile device. For the camera it would be more effective to simply filter out 60 Hz (or 50 Hz in europe). This would probably be a software setting, unless it was a hardware filter.

Sorry for the long post, and sorry I haven't done this test myself. I haven't opened up my phone yet.

Last edited:

orells

May 31, 2009
Wow, um im not.shocking myself. Ill wait for a dev to get a.cam, obviosly im missing swype though, error after error

Sent from my GT-i9000 using XDA App

memorito

For the camera it would be more effective to simply filter out 60 Hz (or 50 Hz in europe). This would probably be a software setting, unless it was a hardware filter.

Someone had posted a page from the android dev site that lists anti banding settings at those frequencies. I am wondering if it its a kernel setting, will it be general for the entire device (assuming yes) and will changing it cause other malfunctions like noisy audio or reception issues... Hmmm. Fun stuff. :eek:)

Mobility... www.MemosWorld.com

Last edited:

sw20matt

Jan 26, 2009
ordered 3 cams today. cant wait to try this out. i hope the video calling happens soon.

are there any devs that need a cam, and might be able to help sort this stuff out?

gagb1967

Aug 23, 2010
Duluth, USA
Swype looks for model and finds out is the wrong model. For now you are going to have to choose Swype or fring, or change model in prop file everytime. What I'm afraid is that something else may stop working because of this

jamez243

Jul 7, 2008
So has anyone found a way to use the epci model in the build.prop with swype working? Anyone have an apk of epic swype or anything?

badaphooko01

Aug 5, 2009
Cumming, Ga.
A couple questions. Those that have installed the camera successfully what steps did you use to clean the hole other than using googone, it also seems that scraping the inside with a screwdriver would scratch it.
I should be getting my camera this week and to get started on the hole today, any more tips before I start?
Also did you guys remove the screen protector after the installation?

johnny12times

Sep 29, 2007
Albuquerque
A couple questions. Those that have installed the camera successfully what steps did you use to clean the hole other than using googone, it also seems that scraping the inside with a screwdriver would scratch it.
I should be getting my camera this week and to get started on the hole today, any more tips before I start?
Also did you guys remove the screen protector after the installation?

I actually ended up using plastic toothpicks and q-tips with the googone. Worked out quite nicely.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

trashcan

Feb 4, 2007
San Jose
www.techsmarttips.com
after getting the ffc installed today. took few pics with the rear cam and the picture quality is like a 1mega pixel camera compared to the original. the FFC is also blury. I flashed the I9000 froyo JPM but still didn't get the red lines fixed. Could it be the camera firmware that we have to find and flash it to the phone?

Update: took phone apart again and adjust the outer ring as mentioned in the previous post fixed the focu issue with the FFC and now it's focus and clear. the rear cam still has lines across. I compared the rear cam with the original and noticed the original cam's lens has a little bit of "purple/red" tint on it but the one came with the FFC does not.

Update2: Found this on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-Flex-Cable-...895256?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item19c0353698
Seller is in HK and looks like the rear cam maybe different because of the color on the outer casing. Anyone dare to try this?

Last edited:

yincrash

Mar 30, 2010
i am going to post my findings on galaxy s settings from android app's perspective.

i'm making a little camera test app.

these are the current antibanding settings available on the vibrant:
auto
50hz
60hz
off

the setting by default when initializing the camera in android is 'auto'.

next up. rotating through the antibanding settings.

yincrash

Mar 30, 2010
on further research, the antibanding setting appears to specifically be for taking pictures/recording computer monitors or other display devices that refresh the screen

from the android error log while initializing the rear cam (well, the "default" cam).
Code:
10-17 21:12:08.340: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): Inside initCamera and forebly connecting to tvout service...
10-17 21:12:08.340: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): AVATAR_CHANGE inside initCamera and Connected to TvOut Service
10-17 21:12:08.355: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): initCamera: m_cam_fd(15), m_jpeg_fd(0)
10-17 21:12:08.380: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): initCamera: m_cam_fd2(22)
10-17 21:12:08.380: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): SetRotate(angle(0))
10-17 21:12:08.380: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): setRecordingSize(width(640), height(480))
10-17 21:12:08.440: ERROR/MediaPlayer(2208): message received msg=1, ext1=0, ext2=0
10-17 21:12:08.445: ERROR/MediaPlayer(2208): message received msg=1, ext1=0, ext2=0
10-17 21:12:08.450: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): SetRotate(angle(0))
10-17 21:12:08.450: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): setRecordingSize(width(352), height(288))
10-17 21:12:08.450: ERROR/CameraHardwareSec(2208): startPreview()
10-17 21:12:08.450: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): stopPreview()
10-17 21:12:08.450: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): stopPreview: m_flag_camera_start is zero
10-17 21:12:08.450: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): startPreview()
10-17 21:12:08.450: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): startPreview()m_preview_width: 352 m_preview_height: 288 m_angle: 0
10-17 21:12:09.710: ERROR/SecCamera(2208): startPreview: get the first frame of the preview
10-17 21:12:09.710: ERROR/CameraHardwareSec(2208): startPreview : return startPreview 0
10-17 21:12:09.710: ERROR/CameraHardwareSec(2208): CameraHardwareSec: mPostViewWidth = 640 mPostViewHeight = 480 mPostViewSize = 614400
10-17 21:12:09.710: ERROR/CameraHardwareSec(2208): CameraHardwareSec: mRawHeap : MemoryHeapBase(previewHeapSize(614408))
10-17 21:12:09.725: ERROR/Camera(3296): Error 0

any guesses?

Last edited:

backward0

Dec 5, 2009
after getting the ffc installed today. took few pics with the rear cam and the picture quality is like a 1mega pixel camera compared to the original. the FFC is also blury. I flashed the I9000 froyo JPM but still didn't get the red lines fixed. Could it be the camera firmware that we have to find and flash it to the phone?

Update: took phone apart again and adjust the outer ring as mentioned in the previous post fixed the focu issue with the FFC and now it's focus and clear. the rear cam still has lines across. I compared the rear cam with the original and noticed the original cam's lens has a little bit of "purple/red" tint on it but the one came with the FFC does not.

Update2: Found this on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-Flex-Cable-...895256?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item19c0353698
Seller is in HK and looks like the rear cam maybe different because of the color on the outer casing. Anyone dare to try this?

That looks like the protective cover on the lens to me... I bet that's where global is getting theirs from and they finally got hip to their game.

yincrash

Mar 30, 2010
i believe it's the same one as global parts direct.

after looking at that listing and looking at my original vibrant cam/ribbon and the spare "galaxy s" one. the vibrant one has a t959 marking, and spare one has M110S which is the skorean galaxy s variant which looks like what the ebay listing has as well.

do you think there is anything different from the skorean galaxy s and the i9000?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MODDING THE SAMSUNG VIBRANT TO HAVE A FRONT FACING CAMERA (FFC)

DISCLAIMER: It is NOT my fault if this Breaks your Device, or if you screw it up trying to do it. blah blah you know the drill. XDA is also not responsible. This WILL void your warranty. Luckily it is easy to do.

***THIS IS ONLY FOR THE VIBRANT***
    Other phones are slightly different inside

Required:
    -Compatible rom (Bionix fusion or eugene's froyo or any rom that the dev specifically says ffc compatiable)
    -JAC's OC/UV Kernel. Stock kernel will not work, period. Voodoo should also work KK's kernel also does not work.
    -An FFC, of course (see below for where to get it)

HOW TO DO IT:
    1. Open your phone
    2. Remove the 7 screws or so
    3. Remove the internal battery cover.
    4. Remove your Vibrant camera... it is snapped in under the cam chip.
    5. Using Goof OFF! or denatured alcohol or something similar, dip a q-tip in the chemical, and slightly dab the whole where it is to go.
    6. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes, and repeat (or if you are anxious, don't wait...)
    7. Using something plastic for the safety of the digitizer glass, and scrape out the gunk.
    8. Now, definitely let everything dry before putting your phone back together, and MOST definitely before you put the battery in and turn it on. Give it 20-30 minutes to be safe... depends on the chemical used.

I used a flat head screw driver, which is metal, but if you choose this USE EXTREME CAUTION!!

For more info, go to my thread in the General section as I may have missed something/got something wrong in this post. It has been a while since I first did this mod...

Useful tidbits:
    If you get force closes when trying to use a the cam, then you did not read instructions. Use the proper kernel.

Banding is present in low light conditions. This looks to be a software issue. Popular belief is that the phone is powering both cameras at the same time when either is called, and is basically confusing itself. This is a work in progress.

Software that is known to work is Fring, various lame mirror apps, etc. Android video calling is only available in Froyo, but I have not tested it recently since Eugene's R3, so I cannot confirm that it working ATM. Tango may also work.

Attached the mach.aries file for those of you that wanna chip in and do some digging. Looks like most of the things we need are in there. Attached a .rar and a .zip file... for some reason I had both? It's been a loooong couple weeks.

Epic camera: thanks to KellyLewis3985 for the dl.
    http://db.tt/0DEkw9X

How to Flash:

1. Download the ZIP and put it on the root of your INTERNAL SD Card.

2. Open ROM Manager and boot into ClockWorkMod (DO NOT use Stock Recovery) or boot into recovery the manual way.

3. Navigate down to "apply sdcard: select zip" and locate the .zip file in your internal SD card. Push the power button, navigate down to "YES" and push the power button once more.

4. Let it do its thing, and reboot. First boot *may* take an extra second... Play with new cam app.

To get a cam:

Just got some more cams ordered... should have them by the weekend, so any orders now will start shipping 11/8 in the order they are received.

Go here: http://bit.ly/8ZEPW4
    So i've been using the axura rom which had a camera app that supported ffc and recently switched to Loki and bionix-v to change things up but can't install the i9000 camera. I looked for the i9000 cam zip but only found the apk so after using some generic app installer it just says app was not installed. Is there something i'm doing wrong? how are you guys getting the apks working? i can't download the epic cam either, the links in this post lead me to an error page. am i just a dumb noob?

Try this FFC Mod. Just flash via CWM. Hope this can help you.:DView attachment FFC_Mod.zip
    I personally am still working on a cam app that shuts down the cam that is not in use. This is the problem the ffc is always on causing a lack of power to the rear cam.

Ok im in the testing process of 2.2 kernels. We can make the banding worse, I know for a fact it can be fixed will just take some time. Please be as patient as possible.

Ok everyone I have a good friend building kernels with higher voltage. My app failed, it would shut both cams off indicating that the power from the rear cam is also the power to the ffc with no way to bypass the ffc for a fix. Hopefully we will have this fixed soon.