Mounting FTP as local storage

Search This thread

ptmuldoon

Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I was able to use mount manager to mount a local Samba server as local drive on my Nexus 10.

Now I'm trying to do the same with an FTP server, and can't seem to figure it out yet.

I am running rooted with CM10 on the device, so it should 'FUSE' on it. But I'm not quite sure if how I would go about mounting the ftp server to local folder.

Anyone have any suggestions?

ptmuldoon

Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo, NY

ptmuldoon

Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I found that app as well and emailed the developer if it supports ftp but have not heard back from him. But I went and bought it anyway since it was only a few bucks.

But I haven't been able to to get to connect to the ftp server. The app has shows alot of options and I've tried changing to port 21 which i know my ftp server is using. But still can't get it to connect.

I am also rooted and unsure if there is anyway to mount the ftp folder with busy box and terminal. I'm really not that versed in using busybox just yet.

Anyone else have know of any app or suggestions?

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
Es file explorer app can access ftp and then you can click and it makes an ftp URL it hands to the app which works with some apps. Or copy files local and use.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

ptmuldoon

Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Es file explorer app can access ftp and then you can click and it makes an ftp URL it hands to the app which works with some apps. Or copy files local and use.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Yes, I can explore the FTP via ES file and other similar file managers, but it is not quite the same as actually mapping to a folder location where it looks as local content.

There must be a way to do it. I have used mount manager to mount samba share as local folders. But can't figure out yet out to map an ftp.

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
Yes, I can explore the FTP via ES file and other similar file managers, but it is not quite the same as actually mapping to a folder location where it looks as local content.

There must be a way to do it. I have used mount manager to mount samba share as local folders. But can't figure out yet out to map an ftp.

You can make a URL out of FTP

Code:
ftp://user:password@host:port/path

Applications which know FTP can then access it directly. All ES File Explorer does is build the URL and give it to the app.

You can't mount FTP at all on ANY OS, so don't look for a solutoin, it is technically impossible due to the nature of FTP. Duh. All platforms do the same as I described, it's down the app knowing how to do FTP, its not a mount question.

If you control the data source, you can offer a CIFS or NFS and a VPN and then mount it (if you insist on this functionality). I actually prefer to run Apache on my mine and http: access mine, it is faster than ftp:

Last edited:

kevinf28

Oct 29, 2012
@nigelhealy That was not very constructive... YES it is possible. curlftpfs in Ubuntu linux works fantasticly to mount an FTP server to a directory via FUSE... allows all applications to interact as if it was native directory...

we need a curlftpfs replacement/port for Android.

whitelampe

May 20, 2012
Dig out this old thread again as I'm also interested in mounting an ftp directory to the local directory of an Android system :confused:

Bright.Light

Jun 12, 2008
And since a ban of dropbox I'm requesting the same... Digging this thread up to see if anyone has found a working solution of using FTP as 'local' mount.