[Q] Factory reset

Search This thread

Co-re

Oct 17, 2013
Many suggest wiping the tablet before upgrading firmware but does it really make a difference? If I do it anytime, will the device be back to the state it came in the box (with the possible exception of tripped Knox bit), in other words, is the original firmware and setup on some ROM chip or reserved area or will it be the latest version of firmware installed but cleaned of apps, accounts and settings?

Does it make any difference to wipe before installing an update if it can be easily done afterwards in case of issues without the tablet returning to an earlier version?

dustfinger314

Jul 23, 2011
To the best of my understanding, and someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, an Android device has several partitions in its filesystem. The operating system and other files that shipped with the device, such as stock apps, are kept on /system, and anything associated with user settings and user apps is kept in /data. As I understand it, factory reset simply wipes this /data partition. Any sort of firmware update overwrites the /system partition with the new version. Thus, if you do a factory reset, your tablet should be cleared of any apps and settings you installed and changed, and the firmware will still be the latest update you have installed.

To the second question, I know that you can wipe after an update without affecting the firmware version you have, however, I'm not sure exactly howy wiping fixes problems, so I will leave it to someone who knows a bit more to explain the pros/cons of wiping before/after updating your firmware.

Co-re

Oct 17, 2013
Might be dumb question but how do I prevent Note installing all the apps I had on it before factory reset after it boots up again and I enter my Google account info?

jumphour

Mar 10, 2011
CT
Might be dumb question but how do I prevent Note installing all the apps I had on it before factory reset after it boots up again and I enter my Google account info?
When you're doing the whole Google account thing, don't check off the box to backup and restore. I checked the box yesterday when I was doing the KitKat flash, and it started downloading things onto it that I had on other devices...it was a mess. LOL So when I flashed a new ROM later in the evening, I made sure NOT to check off that box when setting up the Google account.