Straight Talk Unlimited with Captivate

Search This thread

Tehwall

Aug 21, 2010
My dad canceled my phone service so I was thinking of using the Straight Talk Unlimited pre-paid plan on my Captivate. Will I be able to call, text, and use 3G with this without problems on my Captivate?

s44

Sep 25, 2010
No. Straight talk is CDMA through Verizon. End of story
Wrong! It's mixed CDMA (Verizon) and GSM (AT&T) depending on the phone. There's a ginormous HowardForum thread on using (GSM) iPhones on ST, which should guide the OP in using any AT&T Android as well.

ryude

Jun 19, 2010
USA
Straight Talk only supports GPRS data, so not really useful for a smartphone.

s44

Sep 25, 2010
Straight Talk is on three different networks (yes, T-Mobile also, in some parts!) overlapping all over the country... Your experience in one place isn't representative of the entire coverage.

This guy wasn't on GPRS.

Reactions: indiehall

harpo1

Jan 14, 2009
Yuba City
I'm using my Captivate on ST and I'm getting 3mg down and 1.2 up. There's others getting better down/up speeds depending on your coverage area. It uses AT&T's 3g network. I was with AT&T prior to ST and my speeds are the same. Basically any GSM phone will work but if it's a T-Mobile phone you'll be limited to EDGE.

Last edited:

kronikchef

Feb 24, 2011
it can be done!

Hey i am new here but i found on a different forum a mobileconfig file (for iphones) to set up their phone for straight talk. read in the same place that some people are using iphones and some androids on straight talk. the story is that you have to buy one of the straight talk's smart phones, ie the nokia e71 or whatever its called. the sim cards that are included with these phones are the only ones that will work (with the mobileconfig settings, and the unlimited 45$ plan being mandatory as well) tried looking through the mobileconfig file but i have never seen or used one before, so i am unable to decipher all of the settings... would be great if someone with some know-how with these type of files could decipher them and fill us in on what settings need to be made! here is the mobileconfig file

Attachments

• StraightTalkmobileconfig.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 153

jadams47

Apr 13, 2011
Captivate with a ST sim installed-- my experience

I too have the Captivate and when I installed a working sim from a ST phone I recived the error "Sim Card Crashed" Can anybody enlighten me as to what is causing this error and if there is a way around it? Thank you very much.

brd912

Sep 7, 2010
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7
now this is what ive been looking for,but how would i do it without spending 200 dollars for a new phone? would a used one from ebay work? or if i found a used sim card from one of the straight talk smartphones?

jpcdeux

Mar 26, 2010
Laporte, IN
Buddy has straight talk sim in iPhone 4. You'll be fine. Just buy E71 phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

pdtp

Jul 22, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Ok so i did this today, went to Walmart picked up the nokia 6790 (could have gotten the e71 as well) called att asked for the phone pin / password (Straight talk asks for this when porting a number) was told it is the last 4 of my social. logged onto straight talks website ported my number 3 hrs latter my new nokia was working. Put the sim in my cappy changed the data and mms settings and i was up and running.

i called att yesterday to try and get them to price match but they couldn't. was on the phone with them for 30 min wile they tried, poor guys i was a member of there service for 10 years.

Sea_Weed

Mar 7, 2011
Straight Talk Info

as ( s44 ) said Straight Talk Is a Mix Of ( CDMA - Verizon & GSM AT&T ) But let me Also Toss This in There they also have ( Verizon GSM Network ) Also .

Go To Local Wal-Mart This is How you Can Tell What Network - Provider you are purchaseing

On Box Picture of ( US Map in RED = Verizon ) Network ( GSM & CDMA ) Note it Tell you on Bottom of Box if it is a ( CDMA Phone or GSM Phone )

Now For AT&T

On Box Picture of ( US Map in BLUE = AT&T ) ( ONLY --> GSM )

With That Said i Can Also Confirm ( Only Purchase Nokia E71 Phone )

as it has Been Said in this Tread All other GSM Phones The Sim Card is "LOCKED"

I Have a ( Straight Talk E71 Sim Card ) in my ( AT&T - HTC Aria )

Incomeing & Outgoing Calls & Text Work Perfect

Have not Found Setting's For ( Internet ) yet i have downloaded and looked at the ( iphone config ) but im not shure how to rework to ( Android )

HTC Aria / rooted / Cyanogen 7 / NOW Just need Straight Talk Setting's For my Phone and ill be Set

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, update time.

Straight Talk SIM came yesterday. I spent about 10 min setting up the phone, it took about an hour to port my old AT&T number over and its working like a champ.

They provide you with all the APN settings you will need. There is one thing I noticed though, and this happened on ATT as well. That is, if you put a proxy address in your APN settings, speedtest chokes on the data transfer sections of the test. If you take it out, it works fine. Either way, with or without you can browse the web just fine. Not sure what the conflict is there but there you have it.

Speeds are the same as they were yesterday here at work with AT&T(Same network, no surprise there) and everything works. Voice/MMS/Web.

I had unlocked my Captivate while I was back on GB, but I had ordered the AT&T sim and not the 'Unlocked Phone' one. I'm not sure if there is a difference or not. I have read that some people say that the phone doesn't need to be unlocked to use one of the sims, but I can't verify that.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

There's been a law for several years now that prohibits carriers from holding numbers hostage.

My issue with this was that my number was on our corporate account. It ported just fine though, although you do need the corporate account number, which I had since I was in charge of the phones here.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Well howd it go. Is 3g working now with that sim u bought online?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

I get so so speeds here at work, generally 1.5mb down and 800k or so up, I tested with the AT&T sim yesterday and got about that, got the same speed today with the ST sim.

Edit: I'm having a good signal day here apparently:

163088606.png
    Straight Talk only supports GPRS data, so not really useful for a smartphone.
    Also totally wrong!

Seriously, where is all this nonsense coming from?
    Straight Talk is on three different networks (yes, T-Mobile also, in some parts!) overlapping all over the country... Your experience in one place isn't representative of the entire coverage.

This guy wasn't on GPRS.
    The settings from Joe worked perfectly for the SIM from my girlfriends 6790. However, this has me a bit scared:

From their ToS

Read that too. Hasn't stopped me or countless others. All good things must end. Ill worry when it happens.
    straight talk on captivate

i just finished my captivate on straight talk unlimited plan,it was super easy,i called at&t and got the unlock code but i didnt even need it,just put the SIM in and started working...but i didnt have internet or multimedia messages,but i found a video on youtube that shows how to change the APN on it and now im running 3G with internet no problems. it wont let me post links but search youtube for iphone on straight talk and its a video by newyorkerkid95. the first half of the video is about using straight talk on the iphone but he shows at the end how to change the APN and get your data and 3G working.