[Q] Screen Durability

Search This thread

mrstop

May 2, 2014
Cincinnati
My kids both have the original Nexus 7 and are both about to go on their 3rd screen replacement. This is frustrating as only one was caused by a severe drop. At this point, we are considering a tablet upgrade rather than another $50 screen repair. Easily cracked screens seems to be a very common problem on the original Nexus 7. Has screen durability improved on the 2013 Nexus 7, or should I look to another brand?

Rahul721

Feb 10, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE
My kids both have the original Nexus 7 and are both about to go on their 3rd screen replacement. This is frustrating as only one was caused by a severe drop. At this point, we are considering a tablet upgrade rather than another $50 screen repair. Easily cracked screens seems to be a very common problem on the original Nexus 7. Has screen durability improved on the 2013 Nexus 7, or should I look to another brand?

The screen in other tablets aren't really different if not the same. You should just buy a case and a tempered glass screen protector

Reactions: mrstop

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6

The bigger the glass, the easier it breaks. Period.

My 2013 "Deb" got a busted screen after a 2 foot drop despite having the rather thick Poetic GraphGrip installed. Finally got it fixed this week after being down for several months.

I've gone now to flip cover cases. Not sure if it will help, but after the royal pain that was changing out the screen, and also having my N4 busted by a relative I let hold it, I'm convinced the trouble is worth it.

Reactions: mrstop

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Motorola Edge+ (2022)

My 2013 "Deb" got a busted screen after a 2 foot drop despite having the rather thick Poetic GraphGrip installed. Finally got it fixed this week after being down for several months.

I've gone now to flip cover cases. Not sure if it will help, but after the royal pain that was changing out the screen, and also having my N4 busted by a relative I let hold it, I'm convinced the trouble is worth it.

I bought LCD digitizer combo on eBay and replaced it myself, pretty easy. It was my first time ever attempting such a thing and it went perfectly. Plenty of instructional videos on YouTube.
Also I use poetic revolution case for my n7 2013 now too, well worth it.

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6

I had the Poetic GraphGrip on it when it got busted. If it lands on the FRONT of the screen, this type of case does not help. Same story with my N4 also.

So I replaced it with a Poetic Slimline http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimline-Function-Manufacturer-Warranty/dp/B00E5NOXM4/ as I'm pretty certain it was more the actual impact to the glass in both cases I've had broken screens than it was shock to the outside of the device.

I do, of course, miss the durability of my old G2X. That's the ONLY thing I miss about that phone, though. I dropped it on gravel once. Didn't break. But I didn't notice I dropped it, and then proceeded to STAND on it while a friend was silently trying to tell me where my phone was. Got a gouge on the screen but no crack.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The screen in other tablets aren't really different if not the same. You should just buy a case and a tempered glass screen protector