Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
...and as another developer once said, "too many people throw devices away unnecessarily"
Back in business!! :laugh:

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Despite the 'congrats' on having a new paperweight, I was finally able to revive my phone back to stock and am currently recreating all my settings.
Excited to be back and ready to return to root!!
Thanks for the responses!!

NOTES:
no recovery, no OS, and phone only turned on to DL Mode (Home/Power/Volume Down) or Firmware error (Home/Power/Volume Up)
searched this file name in google as original link from XDA no longer existed: L710VPUCND8_L710SPRCND8_L710VPUCND8_HOME.tar.md5
(other option offered was: KIES_HOME_L710VPBMD4_L710SPRBMD4_1130792_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5)
..however, the other option did not work for my phone

MY PHONE AND STEPS TAKEN:
US Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sprint (SPH-L710)
- downloaded Odin v3.07
- downloaded ND8 file link listed above from Android File Host
- removed battery from phone, then powered up and put in DL Mode
- attached file as PDA in Odin, leaving Auto Reboot and Reset Time checked
- ...then waited...
- Odin gave Reset, phone rebooted, then Odin Passed and I disconnected phone
Just proves persistence can pay off!! Thank you to everyone!!
Where did you finally find your fix? I was wondering why you were having a problem, it didn't make much sense that DL mode worked but nothing would flash or boot, glad you got it though

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Just to add to future readers to trully be in download mode you have to fully power off the phone than use volume down home and power button combo booting to download from power menu doesnt work properly. Good job on what you did.

MY NOTE 3 BETTA THAN YOURZ ?
This wasn't his issue, he had no OS, the power button extended boot option wasn't even available to him, he couldn't boot to system to use the power button option, his only option for DL mode was the button combo, but yes, I have noticed a difference in DL mode when booted with button combo compared to booting to DL with extended boot menu or an app that boots to DL mode, the appearance is different, I wondered if it made a difference but was never able to chase any answers that stated there is a functional difference.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

OK I have a question for you. But first let me say my Galaxy is a T Mobile phone. But, it is unlocked and curreny on Cricket wireless. Do ha have to use Roms built for T Mobile phones only? Or can I use others as well?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app
I figured I'd throw you this just in case you got ballsy and decided to try a different rom, if you have a device with a Qualcomm chipset you can backup your IMEI by using terminal emulator, to do this open terminal and type "su" and press enter, then type "reboot nvbackup" and press enter, this will create a backup of your IMEI that will be put in a safe place by default and it will survive through flashes and wipes, also make a copy of your efs folder and store it on your extsd and your pc for safe keeping that way if you end up trying a ROM that wipes out your IMEI or kills data you can copy efs folder back to where it goes and you can use terminal to restore your IMEI by opening terminal and type "su" and press enter, then type "reboot nvrestore" and press enter, this will restore your IMEI but this will remove the backup you made and you'll have to do another nvbackup like the first time if you wish to keep a backup to be used after that.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
I had considered telling him the same thing. I felt like the user having the problem was just having issues with his device being recognized, that's why I left it at what I posted. I could be wrong though. I'm no expert but I've had the same problem before so I posted things I did in that situation.

the only reason i said what i did was, the advice given wasnt applicable or possible for exactly what the user was trying to do.

Reactions: Droidriven
N

NOOK!E

It would be nice if these guys would report back and let us know if they get straight or not, but I guess we just have to take no news as good news, as they say.

I usually PM them if they don't reply to an answer to make sure they actually saw the reply (or to make sure their problem was resolved), but to each his own. :)

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I usually PM them if they don't reply to an answer to make sure they actually saw the reply (or to make sure their problem was resolved), but to each his own. :)
I pm sometimes but rarely get an answer, I guess they don't see the notification, my main reason for wanting a reply is so that if what I suggest doesn't work then I know not to make that suggestion with the next user having the same issue, and if it does work then I know to keep it on the roster of fixes for their situation. I'm still learning this stuff and replies would help me know where I'm solid and where I'm not, I would also like to know from more experienced members if what I post is incorrect, I don't mind correction but I do have a problem with attitude.

mdio

Jun 8, 2012
Porto
www.alfaromeoteam.com

lmitch007

Sep 26, 2013
Where did you finally find your fix? I was wondering why you were having a problem, it didn't make much sense that DL mode worked but nothing would flash or boot, glad you got it though

Didn't make much sense to me either but everything kept failing.
I was searching in XDA and found a different forum...honestly cannot remember now what I searched except Sprint s3....and there was a link for the ND8 stock firmware restore. But the link was no good so I copied the info and searched google til I found an active link.
Viola! :good:
was pretty awesome watching the phone come back to life! lol

Reactions: Droidriven

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt

Didn't make much sense to me either but everything kept failing.
I was searching in XDA and found a different forum...honestly cannot remember now what I searched except Sprint s3....and there was a link for the ND8 stock firmware restore. But the link was no good so I copied the info and searched google til I found an active link.
Viola! :good:
was pretty awesome watching the phone come back to life! lol

Well, you know now not to do whatever you did to wipe yourself out again and how to fix it if you do it again, btw what did you do to create the issue to begin with? Did you format everything by accident instead of doing the normal wipe when flashing? Just curious so I can assoiciate the fix with the problem.

twickens69

Sep 14, 2014
Hi, I first want to thank you and all other members of the xda developers forum that it helped me to learn how to do the custom ROM installations of various kinds on various phones and trial and error and solve issues I now have a problem that I can't fix my galaxy s3 from Metro D 2mtr I cannot get it to boot up it does not go past the first CyanogenMod image it stays there but I can get clockworkmod touch recovery to come I have tried odin 4 6 7 8 9 and 83 & 85 to try and fix it I've tried various different roms it is difficult for me to find sometimes to find rims and I would love a CyanogenMod 11 or even 12 but stable for my galaxy S 3 can u help me please?
Sincerely tiffany

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi, I first want to thank you and all other members of the xda developers forum that it helped me to learn how to do the custom ROM installations of various kinds on various phones and trial and error and solve issues I now have a problem that I can't fix my galaxy s3 from Metro D 2mtr I cannot get it to boot up it does not go past the first CyanogenMod image it stays there but I can get clockworkmod touch recovery to come I have tried odin 4 6 7 8 9 and 83 & 85 to try and fix it I've tried various different roms it is difficult for me to find sometimes to find rims and I would love a CyanogenMod 11 or even 12 but stable for my galaxy S 3 can u help me please?
Sincerely tiffany
You can use your recovery to flash a ROM that works for your device, you just have to make sure you use the right rom for your device and carrier and the right gapps for the android version you wish to use, if you want to use a lollipop (5.0) rom then TWRP recovery would be best, to find what you need do a google search for "TWRP for metro S3" it should give you results for twrp that works on your device, use a new version, when you find and install the recovery then do another google search for "lollipop for metro S3" include your devices model number in the search terms.

wolfen1086

Apr 12, 2011
Rich square
Generally speaking ROMs tend to be carrier specific, using other ROMs is hit or miss, some work, some don't, but using a ROM from another device can cause a myriad of issues, some can brick you, some can wipe out your IMEI, I suggest you stay with ROMs for your device and if you are determined to take the chance using something else then check with other users of your device and/or carrier and see if anyone has had issues with whatever ROM you want to use and what fixes they may have used to make the ROM work on their device, but your safest bet is use what is made for your device to avoid potential problems.

Thanks, instead of taking chances I think I might just stay with the T Mobile ROMs rather than take a chsnce of bricking iy

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app

Vincent Stone

Dec 24, 2014
KOTOR - Edit Language Files (.obb File)

Hello Guys,

I hope you can help me. Today i started to play good old Knights of the Old Republic, but now on Android. I am from Germany. After a few minutes i thought it would be nice not to only have the german subtitles but even the german voice. I looked into the obb Files and it has the same files from the PC Version of the Game.

I tried to unzip the obb File, changed the voice files, packed it back to zip and renamed to obb. Then i put it back on the phone. But now my game realize its not the original obb file and starts to redownload. So it has a key or or something other to realize when i change the file. Does anyone know how i get it to work? Can i erase the filecheck? Or maybe is the changing not possible?

Sry for my bad english and thx for every reply. :)

Vincent

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Hello Guys,

I hope you can help me. Today i started to play good old Knights of the Old Republic, but now on Android. I am from Germany. After a few minutes i thought it would be nice not to only have the german subtitles but even the german voice. I looked into the obb Files and it has the same files from the PC Version of the Game.

I tried to unzip the obb File, changed the voice files, packed it back to zip and renamed to obb. Then i put it back on the phone. But now my game realize its not the original obb file and starts to redownload. So it has a key or or something other to realize when i change the file. Does anyone know how i get it to work? Can i erase the filecheck? Or maybe is the changing not possible?

Sry for my bad english and thx for every reply. :)

Vincent
Have you tried turning your data off while playing? Or will the game even load now? It sounds to me like you messed up the signatures. If you want to modify the app the right way, you have to remove the signature, decompile the app, make your changes, recompile then add signature back and then it should work right for you, you can do a search to learn how to remove/add signatures and how to decompile/recompile the app.

Btw, I saw no problem with your English, grammer or syntax.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vincent Stone

Shawn R

Feb 28, 2014
Can anyone tell me if my HTC One M7 (Sprint) is unlocked? My phone supports both CDMA and GSM networks (both require micro-SIM cards). When I go into Mobile Network Settings and change Network Mode to GSM/UMTS only, Allow GSM Data becomes selectable as well as Access Point Names and Available GSM Networks. I do not have an extra SIM to test and see if it can be used as well.

arcreact

Dec 17, 2014
I have rooted my HTC desire x dual sim
There is a small system update fir fixing bugs and enhancement of system

But when I try to install it my phone boot into recovery and there it show installation abort
(Can't verify signature)

Then I disable the signature verification
And try again then it shows (status 7)
Installation abort

Plz help how to install it

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Can anyone tell me if my HTC One M7 (Sprint) is unlocked? My phone supports both CDMA and GSM networks (both require micro-SIM cards). When I go into Mobile Network Settings and change Network Mode to GSM/UMTS only, Allow GSM Data becomes selectable as well as Access Point Names and Available GSM Networks. I do not have an extra SIM to test and see if it can be used as well.
What exactly are you wanting to know?
If you are asking if its unlocked so that you can switch networks then no, from what little I know about your device I think your device is locked, it will have to be unlocked and flashed to do that, I believe, @xunholyx could tell you better than I could, he knows more about your device than I do. Or were you just curious and wanted to know?

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

I have rooted my HTC desire x dual sim
There is a small system update fir fixing bugs and enhancement of system

But when I try to install it my phone boot into recovery and there it show installation abort
(Can't verify signature)

Then I disable the signature verification
And try again then it shows (status 7)
Installation abort

Plz help how to install it
Are you sure that what you are trying to install is for your exact model?

arcreact

Dec 17, 2014
What exactly are you wanting to know?
If you are asking if its unlocked so that you can switch networks then no, from what little I know about your device I think your device is locked, it will have to be unlocked and flashed to do that, I believe, @xunholyx could tell you better than I could, he knows more about your device than I do. Or were you just curious and wanted to know?

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Are you sure that what you are trying to install is for your exact model?

Yes because I check it in system update
Setting>about>system updates.

Top Liked Posts