Difference between "Device memory" and "USB storage".

Search This thread

apex88

Aug 19, 2011
Hello everyone,
Whats is the difference between device memory and USB storage?
As far as i see all the apps installed on the Device memory and all the photos and other files are located on the USB storage.

I had "insufficient storage available" problem which I fixed by uninstalling apps and that cleared some space on "Device memory" which has only p1.97GB of space, and on the other hand "USB storage" has 11.50GB of sace.
Is there a way to install apps on the USB storage?
I tried apps2SD but i see its only for external SD card.

Thanks in advance.

netban

Dec 16, 2011
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
Device memory is for your apps and system etc. Usb memory is the mass storage for all your pics and music and for whatever else your apps might need space for.

They are basically partitions and as far as I know, there is no (safe) way to change them.

Btw apps2sd is for moving apply data to an external memory card.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

screamworks

Jul 4, 2011
Brisbane
Device Memory is referring to the ~2GB system storage partition on the device, which is part of the total 16GB of internal storage. Another ~12GB is taken up by what's being referred to as USB Storage, and refers to another partition of the 16GB of internal storage. If you have an SD card, that'll be referred to as the External SD Card.

Your system storage ("Device Memory") is located at root /
USB Storage is located at /sdcard
If you have an SD card in your device, it'll be located at /emmc/

Please do note though that these locations may/probably do change between ROMs, and I only know for certain that these correct within CyanogenMod 9.
screamworks

Reactions: banjara

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
Device Memory is referring to the ~2GB system storage partition on the device, which is part of the total 16GB of internal storage. Another ~12GB is taken up by what's being referred to as USB Storage, and refers to another partition of the 16GB of internal storage. If you have an SD card, that'll be referred to as the External SD Card.

Please do note though that these locations may/probably do change between ROMs, and I only know for certain that these correct within CyanogenMod 9.
screamworks

Just FYI, external SD at /emmc is for AOSP/AOKP ROMs.

For Sammy stock ROMs, external SD will be at /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. (This is Samsung's brilliance. Not sure why they did this...)

screamworks

Jul 4, 2011
Brisbane
Just FYI, external SD at /emmc is for AOSP/AOKP ROMs.

For Sammy stock ROMs, external SD will be at /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. (This is Samsung's brilliance. Not sure why they did this...)

Ah, thanks for that! If I'd given it more thought, I probably would have figured that out. But alas, brain is obviously not functioning. Cheers.
screamworks

pbgrout

Mar 23, 2014
Device memory is for your apps and system etc. Usb memory is the mass storage for all your pics and music and for whatever else your apps might need space for.

They are basically partitions and as far as I know, there is no (safe) way to change them.

Btw apps2sd is for moving apply data to an external memory card.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Why is it that when I take the option to move some apps that can be moved from device storage to USB storage I don't see the used space going any higher? please check out this image for an example. the figures don't seem to add up with the used figure against the apps with the ticks that have been moved to USB storage.

Last edited:

ugondioma

Jul 7, 2019
I still can't find an answer to issue raised here. How can I use USB storage instead of device memory?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

screamworks