FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOWTO] THE ULTIMATE NEWB GUIDE > | INSTALL TWRP | ROOT | UNROOT |the SKYROCKET

3,878 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,149
 
By vincom, Recognized Contributor on 15th July 2012, 05:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th July 2012, 12:57 AM |#21  
vincom's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag bolton, on
Thanks Meter: 4,149
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidbabyxda

i rooted mine, Stock ATT ICS. :) fyi.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------





I agree... too many advantages over the warranty issue. for starters, freezing all the bloatware will make your battery last longer. NOT seeing them in the list of apps is awesome!! (yeah, i get irritated just scrolling thru a bunch of useless app. Titanium backup is a definite plus. Not to mention a slew of apps that are specifically for rooted device. ;)

I didn't bother to download/flash new ROM. The ICS from ATT works ok for me. If it is not broke.. I ain't changing it!

which method or files did you use to get root, im guessing the one posted in the op since you're posting it here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vincom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vincom Ad-Free
16th July 2012, 01:17 AM |#22  
garydv2002's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 578
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincom

ty
just to confirm, you tried this on ics leaks and gb, i would like to add that to the op as a confirmation
im 99.99999% sure that this method would work on leaks and gb, just not enough to say confirmed, but i might have time tonite to test it on the leaks and gb and then be able to say it works 100%

Yea I even tried the all the one click methods when I took it out the box with 2.3.5 and they would not work on it nor 2.3.6. This method of using cwm to flash or push the SU files is the only method that has ever worked for me. It worked on 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 gingerbread and I've flashed every ics leak plus the official and rooted each with no problem using this method. To me its just as easy as a one click cause I've always ran cwm no matter how I rooted. You can fix screw ups much easier with cwm or stand a better chance anyway. Cause if you can get recovery mode you can even fix soft bricks if you were smart enough to make a backup that is which I always do....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
16th July 2012, 03:42 AM |#23  
vincom's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag bolton, on
Thanks Meter: 4,149
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garydv2002

Yea I even tried the all the one click methods when I took it out the box with 2.3.5 and they would not work on it nor 2.3.6. This method of using cwm to flash or push the SU files is the only method that has ever worked for me. It worked on 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 gingerbread and I've flashed every ics leak plus the official and rooted each with no problem using this method. To me its just as easy as a one click cause I've always ran cwm no matter how I rooted. You can fix screw ups much easier with cwm or stand a better chance anyway. Cause if you can get recovery mode you can even fix soft bricks if you were smart enough to make a backup that is which I always do....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ok, i agree with using cwm, a no brainer even to flash stock, users are trying to update their "rooted" phones w/kies and it seems to be mucking things with the update, thats why i created another thread on how to install stock using odin.

so your crediting cwm for rooting your phone but which su files did u use to flash from within cwm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vincom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vincom Ad-Free
16th July 2012, 05:44 AM |#24  
garydv2002's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 578
 
More
Superuser 3.07efghi-signed has worked for me every time so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
16th July 2012, 10:29 PM |#25  
vincom's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag bolton, on
Thanks Meter: 4,149
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garydv2002

Superuser 3.07efghi-signed has worked for me every time so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ya i used to use it, does not seem to work on official rogers ics, the first test using it failed, can try it again but would be pointless in adding that to this tutorial since the method i described in the op seems bullet proof
i tried it 7 times on newly restored stock(yes i odin'd stock firmwares ics and gb 7 times, maybe more i lost track) and each time it it suceeded w/no errors.
even flashing it in cwm it required only one install to complete w/out errors, where the 3.07efghi-signed would fail until repeadtly flashed until it suceeded.
so for newbs/experts this tut would be the best to use....imho
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vincom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vincom Ad-Free
16th July 2012, 10:47 PM |#26  
garydv2002's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 578
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincom

ya i used to use it, does not seem to work on official rogers ics, the first test using it failed, can try it again but would be pointless in adding that to this tutorial since the method i described in the op seems bullet proof
i tried it 7 times on newly restored stock(yes i odin'd stock firmwares ics and gb 7 times, maybe more i lost track) and each time it it suceeded w/no errors.
even flashing it in cwm it required only one install to complete w/out errors, where the 3.07efghi-signed would fail until repeadtly flashed until it suceeded.
so for newbs/experts this tut would be the best to use....imho

Hmm I've never had to flash it more than once but I am on ATT. Is there a updated superuser out that's better and can be flashed in cwm? Btw I can't remember if I mentioned this but I use cwm touch. There has been known issues when using earlier versions but I've never had any problems flashing that su. But if there is a updated better version I would like to try it. Hey I can't help I'm a flashoholic. I'll flash just about anything once lol....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
16th July 2012, 11:19 PM |#27  
vincom's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag bolton, on
Thanks Meter: 4,149
 
Donate to Me
More
"supersu", is not the same app as "superuser"
the su that is flashed in my tut seems to work(i only test it once) but there was a user in another thread that he had problems with the "superuser" app but the other app "supersu" he had no problems. me neither, thats why i suggested "supersu".

the cwm's that i linked in the op are all confirmed working.
they are touch based, but not all touch based cwm's are the same, i tested each one thats posted in the op

the su file i linked does not come packaged with "supersu or " superuser", but it comes with busybox, very inportant to have for su to work properly, more important than the supersu app.

supersu and superuser do not give the phone root, they just control what app has root access
The Following User Says Thank You to vincom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vincom Ad-Free
17th July 2012, 12:16 AM |#28  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Just to confirm (yes newb here)..

Previously I had rooted my skyrocket using one click (on gingerbread with At&T). Today I upgraded to ICS per AT&T's instructions with Kies and obviously Root is now broken.

Since I did an update over my rooted phone, do I need to do anything first before following the original tutorial instructions here? Should I uninstall busybox first etc?

(Heading out now to get an sd card so I could try this out.)
17th July 2012, 01:44 AM |#29  
vincom's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag bolton, on
Thanks Meter: 4,149
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcr

Just to confirm (yes newb here)..

Previously I had rooted my skyrocket using one click (on gingerbread with At&T). Today I upgraded to ICS per AT&T's instructions with Kies and obviously Root is now broken.

Since I did an update over my rooted phone, do I need to do anything first before following the original tutorial instructions here? Should I uninstall busybox first etc?

(Heading out now to get an sd card so I could try this out.)

if you just did the upgrade there is no busybox or su files anymore
but there could be superuser in the app drawer, uninstall that first....... im going to add that step to the op
then just follow the steps outlines in the op.
basically flash cwm w/odin
flash the su file w/cwm
install supersu
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vincom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vincom Ad-Free
17th July 2012, 05:00 AM |#30  
garydv2002's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 578
 
More
Yes I installed busybox after I flashed. I downloaded it from the market. The only busybox that worked right for my phone is the one stericson put out. Version 1.21 I think....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
18th July 2012, 11:19 AM |#31  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garydv2002

Also with cwm recovery you can make backups of your current rom you can restore later if something were to mess up on your phone.... just some friendly advice for you to consider and maybe even research on. If you decide to root and get stumped just pm me and I will help you....

Would you consider adding a section to the OP re: how to use CWM Recovery to a) backup your current ROM and b) flash custom ROMs?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
custom recovery, i727 i727r lte howto how to newb, root, skyrocket

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes