Modified RC30 - full version

Search This thread

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
I've uploaded a new version (v1.2) of the modified RC30 update.

http://rapidshare.com/files/165227766/update_TC4-RC30_full_xda-dev_v1.2.zip
http://android-dls.com/forum/index.php?f=24&t=189&rb_v=viewtopic(see forum post for link to actual file)

You must have the modified recovery image installed before trying to install this.

Install as per usual - copy to sd card, rename to update.zip, reboot, enter recovery mode and hit alt+s.

(here's a guide on how to install in Italian - thanks Deedend!)

The primary new features in this version are
- adb shell now works in recovery mode
- a real su (instead of the setuid copy of sh in the last version)
- lots of new goodies in /system/xbin and /system/modules

Other things that have changed from v1.1
- This version has a kernel compiled by Saurik, with more core stuff "turned on", to support more modules (Specifically, /dev/mem and /dev/kmem are available now)
- new features in init
- support for mounting to loop devices
- move flag for mount
- mknod that can wait for a device
- chdir, chroot, usleep, include, trigger​
- Changed the init.rc so that it will include /system/init.rc and /data/init.rc, so you can easily add new startup stuff, without having to rebuild/reflash boot.img
- Changed the boot-up recovery flash to look for a file at /data/recovery.img instead of /system/recovery.img, and also to delete recovery.img after a successful flash
- changed the "mount" symlink to be busybox's mount instead of toolbox's mount
- added an /etc/fstab file that busybox's mount can use, that lists the standard system partitions.
- changed the fingerprint back to the official RC30 fingerprint (don't want to let google know you're using a modified build)
- using a newer version of busybox
- moved busybox from /system/bin to /system/xbin

Note: A big thanks to Saurik (the "debian on Android" guy :D) for all the changes to init and the kernel, as well as the modules in /system/modules. He also tweaked and recompiled a newer version of busybox. He recently posted his own update that I shamelessly stole this stuff from (with his permission :))

It also includes the changes that were made in v1.0 and v1.1. namely
- set ro.secure=0, ro.debugable=1, and persist.service.adb.enable=1 in /default.prop, to enable adb to run as root
- Added the ability to mount to a loop in init
- Mount /system/xbin/xbin.cramfs into /system/xbin in init.rc
- Looks for a recovery image to flash at /data/recovery.img instead of /system/recovery.img, and deletes the recovery image after a successful flash
- added back in the telnetd command from RC29

-----
For those who have installed the stock RC30 update: no, you cannot install this update. You must have a modified recovery image installed to apply the update, and you have to have root access to install a modified recovery image. You can't get root access in stock RC30, so you can't install a modified recovery image, and so you can't install this update.
-----

Last edited:

usmc2k

Apr 12, 2006
I.E.
Does this include all the regular upgrades that the rc30 was going to bring like the battery fix ? And So i dont mess up how do i install the modified recovery image correctly ?

Last edited:

tritron777

Nov 8, 2008
What mod we have to install it? since is not signed with google key it will not load on 29 at all.

humble

Dec 17, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
Thank YOU SO MUCH! i was afraid i wasn't going to see you. i try ed someone else's(mod) and I stuck in your recovery because i tryed to format partion md3(system) and restore it with the backup(for some reason i was stuck between RC29-30) the phone froze:( but i tell you your recovery is the S*** it Saved my A**:D Where's your donation account?(4real)

usmc2k

Apr 12, 2006
I.E.
Do I still have to install the modified recovery image or is it included in ur version ?

usmc2k

Apr 12, 2006
I.E.
You have to have the modified recovery image already installed in order to install my modified update. And it will still be installed after you do the update.

So all i do is get the zip from ur post change it to a update... install it then change ur rc30 to update install it and im good to go ????

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Thank YOU SO MUCH! i was afraid i wasn't going to see you. i try ed someone else's(mod) and I stuck in your recovery because i tryed to format partion md3(system) and restore it with the backup(for some reason i was stuck between RC29-30) the phone froze:( but i tell you your recovery is the S*** it Saved my A**:D Where's your donation account?(4real)

Glad I could be of service :). If you want to donate, I would be happily surprised, and much appreciative.

Last edited:

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
So all i do is get the zip from ur post change it to a update... install it then change ur rc30 to update install it and im good to go ????

Yep :). Assuming you have the modified recovery image installed already. If you don't, it will just say something to the effect that it couldn't validate the signature.

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
weird i can't terminal in from the phone anymore.

You can't run telnetd just by typing it in on the keyboard anymore. You have to open a terminal (terminal emulator, pterminal, or with adb shell), and get root access if needed (su), and then type "telnetd &" (the & at the end tells it to run in the background)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's a possibility, but I don't think it's in Google's general nature to do that: they were probably more concerned about closing the blatant console shell bug than they are about keeping us from getting root.
    In addition, if they pushed a test-key update, I think that would have to go to every G1 phone, and that may cause user inconvenience with phones that are using the normal release keys (ie, the phone restarting and failing on an update due to a bad key)... I guess we'll see.
    I suppose that the real solution would be to sign with a legitimate private key, but that opens another can of worms: Who holds the key? What happens if they disappear off the face of the earth? Etc.

Yeah I don't see a great solution but I was just wondering if my root access would disappear overnight :(