FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Post Reply Email Thread
Being a high-memory device, I'm surprised HTC only set the dalvik virtual machine heap to 32MB, which is fine for 512MB phones. But we can bump it up to 48MB or 64MB without a problem. Each app you run is in its own virtual machine. Heap is the amount of memory each app has allocated to it. If you higher it (if you have enough RAM, which we do) it will result in less garbage-collection, which means improved speed and sometimes battery life.

If you're rooted on stock ROM, you have to install Busybox manually. Go to the Market and download and run Busybox Installer, then reboot. After that do these steps:

1) Download Blade Buddy
2) Advanced Settings
3) Check the first box for hardware acceleration
4) Scroll down, Dalvik VM Heap = 64M
5) Hit Save -> Yes, then manually reboot. If you hit Apply, it's temporary until reboot.

Goodbye lag. You'll notice Sense is a lot quicker, especially scrolling through the app drawer.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Product F(RED) For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Product F(RED) Ad-Free
4th August 2011, 06:06 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Testing now. Will report back.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App
4th August 2011, 06:11 AM |#3  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 367

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Product F(RED)

Being a high-memory device, I'm surprised HTC only set the dalvik virtual machine heap to 32MB, which is fine for 512MB phones. But we can bump it up to 48MB or 64MB without a problem. Each app your run is in its own virtual machine. Heap is the amount of memory each app has allocated to it. If you higher it (if you have enough RAM, which we do) it will result in less garbage-collection, which means improved speed and sometimes battery life.

1) Download Blade Buddy
2) Advanced Settings
3) Check the first box for hardware acceleration
4) Scroll down, Dalvik VM Heap = 64M
5) Save -> Restart

Goodbye lag. You'll notice Sense is a lot quicker, especially scrolling through the app drawer.

Thanks for the tip

If you don't have an Evo3d well you don't have an Evo3d :P
4th August 2011, 06:12 AM |#4  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Works with sensation?
4th August 2011, 06:18 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 3,067

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matistight

Works with sensation?

It should, although the Sensation has 256MB less RAM than the 3D. Give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flomexico

I didn't get a huge difference. Just ever so slightly less lag. Is yours overclocked? Any negative side effects if I push the vm heap too high?

Not overclocked at all. Stock ROM, stock kernel, just rooted and removed bloat. It wasn't a HUGE increase, but it made it go from noticeably laggy to as fast as my Nexus S 4G. The speed boost from enabling of debug.sf.hw may be a placebo effect, but doubling the VM Heap size will definitely bring an actual performance increase. How big depends on what you're running.
6th August 2011, 02:38 AM |#6  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matistight

Works with sensation?

Yes it does.I'm not sure it sticks after a reboot though.You can also tinker around with different values in the build.prop file and/or add that line to the file:
"debug.sf.hw=1" save and reboot your phone.It will stick.
6th August 2011, 02:39 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 3,067

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCguy2020

Yes it does.I'm not sure it sticks after a reboot though.You can also tinker around with different values in the build.prop file and/or add that line to the file:
"debug.sf.hw=1" save and reboot your phone.It will stick.

You have to hit Save -> Yes, then manually reboot. If you hit Apply, it's temporary until reboot. I'll add that to the OP.
4th August 2011, 06:14 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
I didn't get a huge difference. Just ever so slightly less lag. Is yours overclocked? Any negative side effects if I push the vm heap too high?

4th August 2011, 06:26 AM |#9  
Flag Fayetteville
Thanks Meter: 968

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Product F(RED)

It should, although the Sensation has 256MB less RAM than the 3D. Give it a shot.

Not overclocked at all. Stock ROM, stock kernel, just rooted and removed bloat. It wasn't a HUGE increase, but it made it go from noticeably laggy to as fast as my Nexus S 4G. The speed boost from enabling of debug.sf.hw may be a placebo effect, but doubling the VM Heap size will definitely bring an actual performance increase. How big depends on what you're running.

Yeah. I don't think I see any difference with GPU rendering. Wouldn't it kill the battery quicker too?

Also. If we get a honeycomb port. Wouldn't the Gould rendering really make a difference then?

Are we not Phones?
We are EVO
ARE WE NOT PHONES?!
3.Dee.V.O.
4th August 2011, 06:35 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Cool thanks thats a really cool app and looks like it has a ton more uses than just this!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)