Android - Wing Linux 0.4pre4 is out

Search This thread

uccellino

Jul 28, 2007
Hi,

For those interested in the effort to port Android to the Excalibur, wing-linux android 0.4pre4 has been released with support for the Excalibur. Installation should be pretty easy (must install to the micro SD card).

For details and download: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/wing-linux/wiki

This project is looking for more developers, so you're welcome to join.

Please Note: to reset your device after using android you'll have to take out the battery. As mentioned, the software does not install to the phone's ROM, so it's nice and safe ;) no flashing!

Biggest issue is that sound doesn't work yet. GSM works if your SIM card has no pin. For information on setting up GPRS, please see the wing-linux forum.

Please test all you can, and report back either here, or even better at the wing-linux forum.

Cheers,

Update:

• To fix the problem that the console is rotated the wrong way, after installing, go to the linux folder on the SD card and edit the "default.txt". In the CMDLINE variable, remove "fbcon=rotate:3".
  • For those of you that want a normal linux console, i.e. so Android doesnt start automatically, change the "4" on the end of this line to a "3" (this is the runlevel)

Last edited:

Mjolnir1204

Jun 2, 2008
help

Can you hel me? I want to know if i can to install this so on my excalibur telcel (mexico) and how can i install it?
thanks

drnayeem

Oct 3, 2008
Hi,

For those interested in the effort to port Android to the Excalibur, wing-linux android 0.4pre4 has been released with support for the Excalibur. Installation should be pretty easy (must install to the micro SD card).

For details and download: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/wing-linux/wiki

This project is looking for more developers, so you're welcome to join.

Please Note: to reset your device after using android you'll have to take out the battery. As mentioned, the software does not install to the phone's ROM, so it's nice and safe ;) no flashing!

Biggest issue is that sound doesn't work yet. GSM works if your SIM card has no pin. For information on setting up GPRS, please see the wing-linux forum.

Please test all you can, and report back either here, or even better at the wing-linux forum.

Cheers,

Hey great news......
Good going ..........
Hats off to all the geniuses on this project,
and a special thanks to UCCELLINO to get it on our beloved DASH

istosevski

Aug 7, 2008
Tested

Tested!
And...
Success!
It works...

Since it is nowhere near finished ill mention only the cool things...
D-pad works and all of the other buttons too... (qwerty including)
Amazingly good integration for non touch screen phone... (I could almost imagine using it)

I would played bit more with it but to my biggest disappointment
THE SCREEN IS INTERLACED AND FLASHING(flickering) ALL THE TIME

Tested on MDA Mail

I almost forget: Thanks to all the involved geniuses...
I still can't believe it works, simply amazing

Last edited:

uccellino

Jul 28, 2007
Hi,

Thank you for doing this testing... the interlaced screen issue does not happen on my device... maybe there really are different models. I will check this out - it is probably a problem with screen timings. If you want to help, check out the Excalibur forum on the wing-linux forum and try another device profile.... Once I know what other device worked better for you, I can try and support it better within the Excalibur profile.

For other people: there is one main cab to install and then another smaller one to set it up for the Excalibur.

Once again, thank you to all for the help in testing! Next step is working audio and then we can really be on our way ;)

Tested!
And...
Success!
It works...

Since it is nowhere near finished ill mention only the cool things...
D-pad works and all of the other buttons too... (qwerty including)
Amazingly good integration for non touch screen phone... (I could almost imagine using it)

I would played bit more with it but to my biggest disappointment
THE SCREEN IS INTERLACED AND FLASHING(flickering) ALL THE TIME

Tested on MDA Mail

I almost forget: Thanks to all the involved geniuses...
I still can't believe it works, simply amazing

uccellino

Jul 28, 2007
What process did you go through exactly... this may be a bug :eek: can you give me any more info?

Just some points:

• it must install to the micro SD, which needs atleast 250+ MB free available
  • you must install two cabs, the main one and then a little one for the Excalibur

in theory, if you do get to a command prompt, you can log in and use linux to start android.

Login is as follows:

username: root
password: wing

cant get it to start it fails and takes me to command prompt

Last edited:

uccellino

Jul 28, 2007
Sorry, no screenshots as yet. But it runs Android Cupcake, and pretty fast too (for an old phone). Really, this project is going somewhere, and Android is very usable on the device with such a great keyboard.

Perhaps a very techy person could make a little video? ;)

All you need is an micro SD card, may be 30minutes and being prepared to pull your battery when you're done...

If you're a linux programmer, that'd be cool too.. I desperately need info on how to reset the Excalibur in software :confused:

Cheers

Anyone has screenshot of this new Wing Linux?

Guitar100

Jun 16, 2009
Florida
What process did you go through exactly... this may be a bug :eek: can you give me any more info?

Just some points:

• it must install to the micro SD, which needs atleast 250+ MB free available
  • you must install two cabs, the main one and then a little one for the Excalibur

in theory, if you do get to a command prompt, you can log in and use linux to start android.

Login is as follows:

username: root
password: wing

Type "/android.sh" to start manually (from memory)

Which is the main one....i found the small one for excalibur...

May 27, 2008
I cant get it to work, I installed both cabs to my card and when I launch it all I get is different colors shifting on the screen :S

drnayeem

Oct 3, 2008
hello geniuses,

Does any one have an idea abt how to feed in the APN in this version of android, so that we can have a feel of the browser.

Please Help....

idinaxui

Jul 8, 2008
wow great work! the screen is flickering and is interlaced mode, but it's pretty nice and works! I could not make a call, but sent sms from messaging. keep going!