Asus locking bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Sorry for OT, but when was the key leaked? I am new to the Tf101 and didn't here a Word about that. Could you post a link to confirm that, or sth. like that?

The key was leaked a while back enabling devs to make use of the NVFlash to unbrick/flash ROM.
Some time mid July 2011 Asus change the SBK locking up the bootloader again. That's why you see peoples asking for serial number of tablet to determined if your tablet was built before or after the SBK change ect....

Here's link
http://www.tabletroms.com/index.php/2011/06/08/asus-transformer-secure-boot-key-leaked/

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnesus

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
I don't understand why people complain about other people complaining about asking for a choice.

This is what we all should be doing when our choices get taken away. Next thing you know there will be checkpoints to see if your bootloaders are unlicked on the highways and un airports....

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

underthecover1

Feb 10, 2011
The key was leaked a while back enabling devs to make use of the NVFlash to unbrick/flash ROM.
Some time mid July 2011 Asus change the SBK locking up the bootloader again. That's why you see peoples asking for serial number of tablet to determined if your tablet was built before or after the SBK change ect....

MY S/N starts with B60. So I could easily unlock it?! Thanks!

Last edited:

bob dylan

Jun 13, 2010
im sorry but im sure the group of people who want their devices unlocked is not a small percentage from the research ive done on android a good half of android owners are likely rooted.
the people who dont root are usually, not always but usually the people who dont know how or what it is. for your average joe user a locked bootloader means nothing now at least,(if we allow manufacturers to continue to take administrator rights away from the owner the owner will have no control what runs or doesnt run on their device). most users who are technically knowledged in computers are against locked bootloaders even if they dnt feel rooting is neccessary with asus' device(they did a good job at adding the features that were lacking due to a locked device)

ANYONE who sticks up for locked bootloaders on any computer or personal device doesnt have a clue...manufacturers are taking away your rights to do whatever you want with your device. there has already been federal judges state that changing software on a device should not void a warranty. if the tools that should be available are available then software problems can be fixed by the consumer but the manufacturer would lose money from people that would just maintain and repair their devices themselves. im sorry but it is VERY VERYimprobable that software of anykind can damage hardware. i dont think it can at all unless the tools to completely wipe a device and reload its software are non existent.
these manufacturers are only concerned with money not the customers at all. these decisions are made with greed as the driving factor.

and obviously the community that wants the rights to their devices must not be small or asud would have paid no attention....and htc who is now unlocking their devices heard that communities requests as well.

and very simple with a locked bootloader the manufacturer can put any tracking, or spyware on the device they want and the users wouldnt even know. that alone is enough to say no....i do agree with those who say if you want an unlocked device the buy a different tablet and i agree, and i think if that happened then companies like asus sales would definetly fall and companies would see and react to it. i believe this is one way to get manufacturers to listen to the community.

but when i bought my transformer i was told by commercials the salesman, and the android specifications and just the fact its open source, that my device was open sourced and developer freindly. an open source software that run on a locked device is just an oxymoron i guess that the word anyway.

i do feel honestly i was mislead to a degree and in the future i will not purchase a device until i confirm i get full administratir rights to my device. and i hope all other android users do the same..i absolutely love my asus and i would hate to have to make my choice on rights to do what i want with my device rather than the specs and quality of the device.

any device that has files i cant see change or remove is not truly my device its whoever has controll of it letting me use what they deem is ok.

and the low blow to americans was uncalled for but id have to say we are raised from birth believing we have the right to freedom and that includes our devices, and i really dontr think thats wrong what i do believe is wrong is anyone who accepts their freedoms being taken from them and then stcking up for the one who is taking those freedoms away. talk about silly

i really have no intentions of upsetting anyone with this and it is a general statement not directed to anyone other than asus really, im just stating my opinion and i believe thats another right we have. no one has to agree with me and i dont expect them to EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO AN OPINION. without being attacked for it

am with you on the unlocked bootloader rant but please dont ever think you are actually a free american- you live in one huge illusion of freedom( take your political system for starters) and the discrepancy between rich and poor is growing by the day... any freedoms you think you have are handed down to you like crumbs from the top table. and i wont even start on how you dont extend those same freedoms to other countries...the US is a hyspocritcial contradiction wrapped up in an enigma...yadda yadda yadda.

neofreek01

Nov 24, 2011
scranton
am with you on the unlocked bootloader rant but please dont ever think you are actually a free american- you live in one huge illusion of freedom( take your political system for starters) and the discrepancy between rich and poor is growing by the day... any freedoms you think you have are handed down to you like crumbs from the top table. and i wont even start on how you dont extend those same freedoms to other countries...the US is a hyspocritcial contradiction wrapped up in an enigma...yadda yadda yadda.

oh i so know i didnt say i was a free american i consider myself a free earthling i dont recognize country borders try telling a bird or a fish or anyother animal for that matter about borders, i dont agree with borders or different nationalities we are all human thats all i see and any government as much of a joke as americas i dont respect...i am a peaceful and caring person so i dnt do anything wrong but i do exactly as i please.

bob dylan

Jun 13, 2010
oh i so know i didnt say i was a free american i consider myself a free earthling i dont recognize country borders try telling a bird or a fish or anyother animal for that matter about borders, i dont agree with borders or different nationalities we are all human thats all i see and any government as much of a joke as americas i dont respect...i am a peaceful and caring person so i dnt do anything wrong but i do exactly as i please.

good to hear

:D:D:D

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Some of the commentary is quite well thought out. Most in here is whining about non related stuff.

For those who do not understand the GPL and the Judgement Rendering here from the courts in the USA. The decision of the Supreme court was very specific, you buy the device you own it, have the right to modify it how you please. Preventing the owner of a device from that right is the same a a Car Manufacturer preventing you from putting off road tires on your truck, because they do not want you to drive on dirt roads. Trying to tie SOPA to this argument is a nonsequitor.

Sorry Guys............. THREAD CLOSED

Reactions: Spidey01
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    im sorry but im sure the group of people who want their devices unlocked is not a small percentage from the research ive done on android a good half of android owners are likely rooted.
    the people who dont root are usually, not always but usually the people who dont know how or what it is. for your average joe user a locked bootloader means nothing now at least,(if we allow manufacturers to continue to take administrator rights away from the owner the owner will have no control what runs or doesnt run on their device). most users who are technically knowledged in computers are against locked bootloaders even if they dnt feel rooting is neccessary with asus' device(they did a good job at adding the features that were lacking due to a locked device)

ANYONE who sticks up for locked bootloaders on any computer or personal device doesnt have a clue...manufacturers are taking away your rights to do whatever you want with your device. there has already been federal judges state that changing software on a device should not void a warranty. if the tools that should be available are available then software problems can be fixed by the consumer but the manufacturer would lose money from people that would just maintain and repair their devices themselves. im sorry but it is VERY VERYimprobable that software of anykind can damage hardware. i dont think it can at all unless the tools to completely wipe a device and reload its software are non existent.
    these manufacturers are only concerned with money not the customers at all. these decisions are made with greed as the driving factor.

and obviously the community that wants the rights to their devices must not be small or asud would have paid no attention....and htc who is now unlocking their devices heard that communities requests as well.

and very simple with a locked bootloader the manufacturer can put any tracking, or spyware on the device they want and the users wouldnt even know. that alone is enough to say no....i do agree with those who say if you want an unlocked device the buy a different tablet and i agree, and i think if that happened then companies like asus sales would definetly fall and companies would see and react to it. i believe this is one way to get manufacturers to listen to the community.

but when i bought my transformer i was told by commercials the salesman, and the android specifications and just the fact its open source, that my device was open sourced and developer freindly. an open source software that run on a locked device is just an oxymoron i guess that the word anyway.

i do feel honestly i was mislead to a degree and in the future i will not purchase a device until i confirm i get full administratir rights to my device. and i hope all other android users do the same..i absolutely love my asus and i would hate to have to make my choice on rights to do what i want with my device rather than the specs and quality of the device.

any device that has files i cant see change or remove is not truly my device its whoever has controll of it letting me use what they deem is ok.

and the low blow to americans was uncalled for but id have to say we are raised from birth believing we have the right to freedom and that includes our devices, and i really dontr think thats wrong what i do believe is wrong is anyone who accepts their freedoms being taken from them and then stcking up for the one who is taking those freedoms away. talk about silly

i really have no intentions of upsetting anyone with this and it is a general statement not directed to anyone other than asus really, im just stating my opinion and i believe thats another right we have. no one has to agree with me and i dont expect them to EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO AN OPINION. without being attacked for it
    God I really hate these internet mediastorm campaigns full of spotty teenagers complaining about crap like this and starting Facebook petitions and all to try and change corporate decisions. They flood blogs and news sites will their crap.

Go buy an Xoom if it really bothers you that much.

Comments like this really are embarrassing (not for Asus, but the whole human race).

Jermiah Fortier

Unlock this Bootloader on the prime you scumbags.

I bought this device and I demand I be allowed to use it. I will be advising everyone that I know is in the market for a tablet to avoid Asus until something is done.

Someone want to tell him he can already USE it..... He makes it sound like a power-on password. If anything unlocking the bootloader will REDUCE functionality, as it would almost certainly mean you would no longer have a secure device that could rent content, any unlocking would remove DRM keys.

Both my devices are rooted with unlocked bootloaders, however I don't DEMAND it, I research the products and buy the ones that allow it (or have leaked keys). Had the Asus not had the bootloader keys leaked, I would have bought something else (Xoom for eample). Let market forces dictate, not dumb Facebook and mediastorm bullcrap.
    Well, you can call me crybaby, but I'm happy with the result of this campaign. You seem to be crying much more that all of us so called "crybabies" now in this thread. :eek: If you don't approve - no need to call people names. And if we all allow in silence for devices to be more and more locked one day we wouldn't have a choice to buy sth else because all of them would be locked.

Sorry, but I have not felt the need to engineer a social media ****storm like you lot have arranged, where a vocal minority are pretending to be MUCH louder than they actually are.

If you really dislike locked bootloaders, then Tegra2 and Tegra3 platforms are not for you, as they are ALL locked using the same 128bit AES key, as it's part of the NVidia chipset.

The only tablet I am aware of that uses Tegra2 that allows unlocking is the Xoom, if you feel that strongly, don't buy Asus, but Xoom instead.
    Sorry for OT, but when was the key leaked? I am new to the Tf101 and didn't here a Word about that. Could you post a link to confirm that, or sth. like that?

Here's link
    http://www.tabletroms.com/index.php/2011/06/08/asus-transformer-secure-boot-key-leaked/
    I asked @AsusUK on twitter and they confirmed that the bootloader of the B70+ Transformers would also be unlocked.

https://twitter.com/#!/AsusUK/status/154493803418484736