[HowTo] The Safest Way to Disable All Bloatware on Your Galaxy S9 or S9+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Xperience Z

May 4, 2013
root
OnePlus 8
Carrier-branded Galaxy S9 models come with a ton of bloatware that you usually can't get rid of without rooting. With a little digital elbow grease, however, there is a way to disable bloatware on your S9 or S9+, and it's a lot safer that attempting to root and modify you precious device.

Package disablers are a great way to disable useless bloatware and free up RAM on your smartphone. Unfortunately, they can be a little dangerous to use, as carelessly disabling the wrong package can cause your S9 to act erratically or even freeze up entirely. Thankfully, there's a safe and painless way to disable over 120 bloatware apps and packages thanks to XDA user BAYmustafa96.

Step 1Download the Bloatware Remover File
First up, you'll need to download an XML file which automatically disables bloatware apps by way of BK Package Disabler for Samsung. The file was originally created by BAYmustafa96, but we've edited it to clean things up a bit and make it even safer. So to start, tap the following link from your Galaxy S9 or S9+.

Download the modified XML file for BK Package Disabler

Step 2 Install BK Package Disabler for Samsung
Now it's time to download BK Package Disabler (Samsung) by WakaSoftware. You can either go to the Play Store and do a search, or simply tap on the link below to purchase the app. Please note that BK Package Disabler needs a companion app to function, so don't open it just yet and proceed to the next step.

Install BK Package Disabler (Samsung) for $2.49 from the Google Play Store

Step 3 Install BK Plugin 2
Because of some changes by Samsung, BK Package Disabler for Samsung requires a separate add-on app to fully function. Don't worry, however, as its sister app, BK Plugin 2, is totally free to download. Once again, feel free to either do a search on the Play Store, or head to the link below.

Download BK Plugin 2 for free from the Google Play Store

Step 4 Grant BK Plugin 2 Administrator Privileges
Before opening BK Package Disabler for Samsung, you'll need to grant its sister app administrator privileges. Open BK Plugin 2 to get the ball rolling, then simply tap on "Activate It" within the initial setup prompt. You'll now be taken to a Device Administrator page, so tap on "Activate" to finish setting up. You can now open BK Package Disabler and proceed with de-bloating your S9

Step 5 Disable Bloatware
Now that you've got both BK Package Disabler and BK Plugin 2 installed and enabled, go ahead and open the former, then tap on the three-dot menu icon on the upper-right corner of the screen. From there, select "Import from XML."

A popup window will now appear, so tap on "Import from XML," then tap on "Select Path" on the prompt that appears. Next, head to the Download folder to retrieve the XML file you downloaded earlier.

Within the "Download" folder, tap on the XML file and select "Import" in the prompt box. The XML file will now proceed to automatically disable more than 120 bloatware apps for you. You'll be taken to the app's main page when it's done, so scroll down and verify by looking for bloatware that's been checked off and disabled. You're now free to exit the app after, and go on with the rest of your day.

Please bear in mind that this process is automated, so be sure to carefully check for frequently used apps —like Bixby, Adapt Sound, and Photo Editor — that might've gotten disabled. If that turns out to be the case, just open the BK Package Disabler app, scroll through the list and find the app you're missing, then simply tap on the box next to it re-enable it.

Last edited:

darksidesh007

Mar 7, 2012
I had this installed on my S8+, however, with my new S9+ I am getting an activation error when both apps are downloaded from Google Play. "Version 1.1.5: Fail: Invalid package name...." Anyone else having this issue, and if so, how did you fix?

matteosaeed

I had this installed on my S8+, however, with my new S9+ I am getting an activation error when both apps are downloaded from Google Play. "Version 1.1.5: Fail: Invalid package name...." Anyone else having this issue, and if so, how did you fix?

I'm getting the same issues.

Are we talking about the BK disabler ? I have it installed, working find and I don't get any of these errors as of yet .

matteosaeed

Yep, with BK Disabler. I've tried it every which way, even hanging upside down and it still hasn't worked. Same error each time.

This is very weird, i just uninstalled and re-installed and didn't get the issue. So pretty much the BK disabler, then i download the BK plugin 2, and works just fine, I enable the permissions and good to go!

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Yep, with BK Disabler. I've tried it every which way, even hanging upside down and it still hasn't worked. Same error each time.

Also just to clarify I am using the "BK Package Disabler (Samsung) by wakasoftware and it is on version 2.4.2
Then the BK plugin 2 is by MobizSystems and that's the version 1.1.5

Last edited:

HighMans

Mar 20, 2010
This is very weird, i just uninstalled and re-installed and didn't get the issue. So pretty much the BK disabler, then i download the BK plugin 2, and works just fine, I enable the permissions and good to go!

Is there some way I can reset the permissions so I can accept again? (I don't know, just shooting stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks.)

Edit: I'm on the same version and with the same dev.

darksidesh007

Mar 7, 2012
I have the Sprint S9+ so it is the Snapdragon version. I had to do a factory reset a couple of times to activate my S9+. Using the Samsung transfer with the cable plugged into both devices caused the S9+ activation to fail so after another factory reset I reinstalled via Google cloud and Samsung cloud. Not sure if it was a related to being a S8+ Oreo beta tester or not. Never had root on the device. I am using the "BK Package Disabler (Samsung) by wakasoftware version 2.4.2, and the BK plugin 2 is by MobizSystems version 1.1.5.

WORKING: Anyway, I was able to install BK Package Disabler (Samsung) by doing the "owner" steps shown when the BK Disabler failed, and BK Disabler is WORKING. However on my lockscreen I have a "This device is managed by your Organization" message. BK is working, but i dislike the lockscreen message. I discovered that I cannot backup/restore my system from either Google Cloud or Samsung Cloud....Have not tried another factory reset.

I also tried a different disabler called "Package Disabler Pro (Samsung)" as an alternative and it too failed.

I think the issue is the Snapdaragon variant is causing the activation error on any of these disablers. Has anyone tried to reach out to the app owner to see if they know about this?

Last edited:

darksidesh007

Mar 7, 2012
Sure you could do it with ADB (no root needed).
But its laborious

I agree. I don't want to go this route, but may be an alternative. I had emailed the app owners to make them aware. I believe the activation failure has to do with the Snapdragon processor.

What processor do you have? Snapdragon is U.S., and non-U.S. has the Exynos.

Everyone - if you are having the activation problem, what processor are you on?

Jonnyboy12

Mar 15, 2018
I've used the "S8 Delboat Bloatware Thread" on the T-mobile S9. It worked. This method doesn't uninstall officially but it removes them for USER 0. I didn't need to download a app to remove bloatware. I still got the tmobile update. So it's fine for me.

Last edited:

hodie666

Mar 17, 2018
Exynos version here on S9 plus, getting the same error when trying to activate the license: Fail: Invalid package name.

Xperience Z

May 4, 2013
root
OnePlus 8
Weird guys.
Some Exynos works some not.
Some SNapdragon works. Some not.
Can't explaint at the moment sorry.
WIll try to investigate whats the problem is when i am home.

Shadow12347

Oct 26, 2011
This didn't work for me either, however, I was able to make Package Disabler Pro + (had to purchase unfortunately) work, and it is able to import the same xml file as well ;)

Bananasnuff

Aug 31, 2013
Package disabler pro worked for me. Imported the XML, but it was very "aggressive". Disabled chrome, YouTube, and a lot of other usefull stuff that I would not consider bloatware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Carrier-branded Galaxy S9 models come with a ton of bloatware that you usually can't get rid of without rooting. With a little digital elbow grease, however, there is a way to disable bloatware on your S9 or S9+, and it's a lot safer that attempting to root and modify you precious device.

Package disablers are a great way to disable useless bloatware and free up RAM on your smartphone. Unfortunately, they can be a little dangerous to use, as carelessly disabling the wrong package can cause your S9 to act erratically or even freeze up entirely. Thankfully, there's a safe and painless way to disable over 120 bloatware apps and packages thanks to XDA user BAYmustafa96.

Step 1Download the Bloatware Remover File
    First up, you'll need to download an XML file which automatically disables bloatware apps by way of BK Package Disabler for Samsung. The file was originally created by BAYmustafa96, but we've edited it to clean things up a bit and make it even safer. So to start, tap the following link from your Galaxy S9 or S9+.

Download the modified XML file for BK Package Disabler

Step 2 Install BK Package Disabler for Samsung
    Now it's time to download BK Package Disabler (Samsung) by WakaSoftware. You can either go to the Play Store and do a search, or simply tap on the link below to purchase the app. Please note that BK Package Disabler needs a companion app to function, so don't open it just yet and proceed to the next step.

Install BK Package Disabler (Samsung) for $2.49 from the Google Play Store

Step 3 Install BK Plugin 2
    Because of some changes by Samsung, BK Package Disabler for Samsung requires a separate add-on app to fully function. Don't worry, however, as its sister app, BK Plugin 2, is totally free to download. Once again, feel free to either do a search on the Play Store, or head to the link below.

Download BK Plugin 2 for free from the Google Play Store

Step 4 Grant BK Plugin 2 Administrator Privileges
    Before opening BK Package Disabler for Samsung, you'll need to grant its sister app administrator privileges. Open BK Plugin 2 to get the ball rolling, then simply tap on "Activate It" within the initial setup prompt. You'll now be taken to a Device Administrator page, so tap on "Activate" to finish setting up. You can now open BK Package Disabler and proceed with de-bloating your S9

Step 5 Disable Bloatware
    Now that you've got both BK Package Disabler and BK Plugin 2 installed and enabled, go ahead and open the former, then tap on the three-dot menu icon on the upper-right corner of the screen. From there, select "Import from XML."

A popup window will now appear, so tap on "Import from XML," then tap on "Select Path" on the prompt that appears. Next, head to the Download folder to retrieve the XML file you downloaded earlier.

Within the "Download" folder, tap on the XML file and select "Import" in the prompt box. The XML file will now proceed to automatically disable more than 120 bloatware apps for you. You'll be taken to the app's main page when it's done, so scroll down and verify by looking for bloatware that's been checked off and disabled. You're now free to exit the app after, and go on with the rest of your day.

Please bear in mind that this process is automated, so be sure to carefully check for frequently used apps —like Bixby, Adapt Sound, and Photo Editor — that might've gotten disabled. If that turns out to be the case, just open the BK Package Disabler app, scroll through the list and find the app you're missing, then simply tap on the box next to it re-enable it.
    Hey All,

Using AdHell 3, I disabled the following on a Sprint S9+ factory ARBG:

Code:
    com.android.apps.tag
    com.android.bookmarkprovider
    com.android.dreams.basic
    com.android.dreams.phototable
    com.android.egg
    com.android.pacprocessor
    com.android.printspooler
    com.android.providers.downloads.ui
    com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
    com.android.sharedstoragebackup
    com.android.vpndialogs
    com.android.wallpaper.livepicker
    com.android.wallpapercropper
    com.cnn.mobile.android.phone.edgepanel
    com.enhance.gameservice
    com.facebook.appmanager
    com.facebook.katana
    com.facebook.system
    com.google.android.feedback
    com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
    com.google.android.onetimeinitializer
    com.google.android.partnersetup
    com.google.vr.vrcore
    com.mobeam.barcodeService
    com.samsung.android.aircommandmanager
    com.samsung.android.allshare.service.fileshare
    com.samsung.android.allshare.service.mediashare
    com.samsung.android.app.advsounddetector
    com.samsung.android.app.appsedge
    com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.facear.preload
    com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.facear3d.preload
    com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.facearframe.preload
    com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.stamp.prelo ad
    com.samsung.android.app.cocktailbarservice
    com.samsung.android.app.filterinstaller
    com.samsung.android.app.galaxyfinder
    com.samsung.android.app.ledcoverdream
    com.samsung.android.app.mirrorlink
    com.samsung.android.app.motionpanoramaviewer
    com.samsung.android.app.multiwindow
    com.samsung.android.app.selfmotionpanoramaviewer
    com.samsung.android.app.spage
    com.samsung.android.app.talkback
    com.samsung.android.app.taskedge
    com.samsung.android.app.withtv
    com.samsung.android.beaconmanager
    com.samsung.android.bixby.agent
    com.samsung.android.bixby.agent.dummy
    com.samsung.android.bixby.es.globalaction
    com.samsung.android.bixby.plmsync
    com.samsung.android.bixby.voiceinput
    com.samsung.android.bixby.wakeup
    com.samsung.android.bixbyvision.framework
    com.samsung.android.bluelightfilter
    com.samsung.android.calendar
    com.samsung.android.da.daagent
    com.samsung.android.dlp.service
    com.samsung.android.drivelink.stub
    com.samsung.android.easysetup
    com.samsung.android.email.provider
    com.samsung.android.game.gamehome
    com.samsung.android.game.gametools
    com.samsung.android.hmt.vrsvc
    com.samsung.android.keyguardwallpaperupdator
    com.samsung.android.mateagent
    com.samsung.android.mobileservice
    com.samsung.android.networkdiagnostic
    com.samsung.android.oneconnect
    com.samsung.android.provider.filterprovider
    com.samsung.android.provider.stickerprovider
    com.samsung.android.samsungpass
    com.samsung.android.samsungpassautofill
    com.samsung.android.scloud
    com.samsung.android.sdk.handwriting
    com.samsung.android.sdk.professionalaudio.utility.jammonitor
    com.samsung.android.service.peoplestripe
    com.samsung.android.spay
    com.samsung.android.spayfw
    com.samsung.android.stickercenter
    com.samsung.android.stickerplugin
    com.samsung.android.svoice
    com.samsung.android.svoiceime
    com.samsung.android.universalswitch
    com.samsung.android.visioncloudagent
    com.samsung.android.visionintelligence
    com.samsung.android.widgetapp.yahooedge.finance
    com.samsung.android.widgetapp.yahooedge.sport
    com.samsung.app.highlightplayer
    com.samsung.hiddennetworksetting
    com.samsung.safetyinformation
    com.samsung.storyservice
    com.samsung.svoice.sync
    com.samsung.systemui.bixby
    com.sec.android.app.billing
    com.sec.android.app.camera.avatarauth
    com.sec.android.app.desktoplauncher
    com.sec.android.app.myfiles
    com.sec.android.app.samsungapps
    com.sec.android.app.sbrowser
    com.sec.android.app.SecSetupWizard
    com.sec.android.AutoPreconfig
    com.sec.android.desktopmode.uiservice
    com.sec.android.easyMover.Agent
    com.sec.android.easyonehand
    com.sec.android.emergencylauncher
    com.sec.android.gallery3d.panorama360view
    com.sec.android.mimage.gear360editor
    com.sec.android.mimage.photoretouching
    com.sec.android.ofviewer
    com.sec.android.splitsound
    com.sec.android.uibcvirtualsoftkey
    com.sec.android.widgetapp.samsungapps
    com.sec.bcservice
    com.sec.epdgtestapp
    com.sec.hearingadjust
    com.sec.hiddenmenu
    com.sec.location.nsflp2
    com.sec.providers.assisteddialing
    com.sec.smartcard.manager
    com.skms.android.agent
    com.yelp.android.samsungedge
    flipboard.boxer.app
    org.simalliance.openmobileapi.service
    Everything has been working, the phone still seeks to get the latest OTA software, reboots fine, AdHell 3 works, etc. No issues at all. In fact, the battery life seems to have expanded significantly.

Does anyone see any issues with it, e.g., am I going to find out that something I want won't work at the most inopportune time? Also, Facebook is still available in the app section of the phone, and it seems that it is calling home from time to time. I've killed everything FB above, but is there something that I am missing?

Thanks!

facebook.com.services is missing from your facebook blocklist

I bought is, and I can confirm it does work on the Snapdragon version of the S9+. Only sucks that I had bought the other 2 disabler apps mentioned in this string earlier did not work.

Not sure the .XML file mentioned in the initial post can be imported .
    Rule n5

5. Create a thread topic or post a message only once, this includes external links & streaming media.
    As a large forum, we don't need unnecessary clutter. You're free to edit your message as you like, so if you do not receive an answer, revisit your message and see if you can describe your problem better. Not everyone is online at the same time so it might take a while before you receive an answer.

You can bump your unanswered question once every 24 hours
    Duplicate threads and posts will be removed
    Always post in an existing thread if a topic already exists, before creating a new thread.
    Use our search function to find the best forum for your device.
    Links to an external source are only allowed if relevant to the topic in hand. A description must be included, no copy & pasting from the original source.
    Self-promotion is forbidden, this includes blogs, social media and video channels etc. Random links will be removed.

Since this thread is a copy/paste from original source, is now closed!