[Q] Contemplating rooting and install CM

Search This thread

kevinjqiu

Jul 12, 2010
So I've been using Legend as my primary phone since July 2010, and it's increasingly getting on my nerves. It's sluggish, constantly running out of internal storage space, and the phone reboots itself after running apps that require GPS for some time...

I'm thinking of rooting and install CM (Gingerbread). I have two questions:
1. People who have rooted Legend and installed CM, does it improve your overall user experience with this phone?
2. There are a few rooting guides out there with varying dates. Some older ones require you to downgrade to Android 2.1 (I'm on Froyo right now), make a goldcard (which I already did), but since HTC dev has released unlock bootloader, how does it change the rooting process if at all?

I appreciate any help.

Ikkuh84

Nov 7, 2010
Den Bosch
1. I've rooted my Legend for a while now (I got rid of S-On finally since last week) and I can say my phone is faster. I overclocked my phone to 806 MHZ, and it's very stable. And now I moved all my apps (inc. Dalvik cache) to my SD-card, so now I've 160 MB free on my phone, while I've got over 90 apps :)

2. Use the tutorial on HTCDEV site, because now you do not need a goldcard. Just follow instructions there, and all will be fine.

ICavalera

Mar 17, 2011
Vila das Aves
Just do HTC dev instructions until unlock hboot topic. Then with HTC super tools to get root. Then flash cwm and then cm7.1 or 7.2.

If you go look for HTC dev topic here on legend forum, there is a guy who wrote what he have done.

Sent from my Legend using XDA

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
Here's my 2c worth, I got my legend with eclair on it then when I heard about froyo couldn't wait for it. Once I had it I was happy games worked better every thing was cool.
My wives HTC desire HD got the gingerbread update then I was jealous, and was sad when I found out I wouldn't be getting official gingerbread too. That's about the time I found out about ogo2's gingerbread rom (the only reason I actually ended up rooting in the first place). From that time onwards I spent months on xda reading and learning stuff before I rooted.
Taking that step was huge for me & because I was on froyo with that dreaded hboot 1.01 which made rooting so much harder.
What I did was read the guide many times over, downloaded all the files required and did many dry runs of the rooting process stopping before any changes to my phone was made gaining confidence to actually do it.
Once I did it and flashed my first rom I never looked back, I've now flashed pretty much every rom on xda (except the eclair based roms).
When the hboot 1.02 was released and before blay0 pointed out you don't need to go back to stock, I unrooted my phone and when back to stock, and man that only just confirmed why rooting was the best!

If you are hboot 1.01 best method is to do the hboot 1.02 thing, if you are on hboot less than 1.00 then do the s-off method for your hboot version.
So long as your careful, take your time, read up on stuff on xda, do Google searches for stuff too and if your really stuck ask questions, I don't think you'll regreat rooting your phone...

The issue regarding cm well yeah it makes a huge difference over stock but just remember cm doesn't have sense so will take a bit of getting used too comming from stock rom.

sent from my legend, currently using zeubea ics beta0

Last edited:

mmcd87

Jan 16, 2012
1. People who have rooted Legend and installed CM, does it improve your overall user experience with this phone?

I was in the exact same position as you, and looked at lots of ROM options. I wanted something that just works and Cyanogenmod 7.1 is excellent. Coming from a sluggish Vodafone firmware its a total revelation. I went for the slowest 768mhz overclock too and it doesn't seem to have affected the handset at all. Never locks up and is just nice to use day to day. If my contract hadn't expired I'd certainly have no issues keeping it for a third year now.

Off the top of my head here's a few things you might want to install -
Quickpic
Touchpal Dialer
Go Weather
HTC IME Mod keyboard

I'm also only running 3 desktop home screens.

2. There are a few rooting guides out there with varying dates. Some older ones require you to downgrade to Android 2.1 (I'm on Froyo right now), make a goldcard (which I already did), but since HTC dev has released unlock bootloader, how does it change the rooting process if at all?

It's not that long ago I did it but I found it to be a total minefield if I'm honest. You just have to be prepared to do plenty research and be very picky regarding what firmware your currently on (i.e. Vodafone, T-mobile, etc). Stick with it as it's definitely worth it. Look on youtube for some Legend CM videos.

kevinjqiu

Jul 12, 2010
Thank everyone for chiming in. I have another year left in my contract so I think I'm going to root it.

eladbo

Mar 3, 2012
it most definitely improves your phone! needs patience while rooting and installing rom, but it is worth it.