[HOW-TO][CHICAGO] Ventra using SimplyTapp

Search This thread
This is awesome, but what about security? Seems like pubtrans would be the perfect place to snake stuff via NFC since its close quarters and all. And what about double charging like was happening when ventra first launched if you also carry your ventra card?

Either way, even as a proof of concept this is awesome.

sirrix

Aug 5, 2014
thank you!

Worked brilliantly on my Nexus 4! Keep in mind that there is a space before and after the forward slash in the card data. Thank you!

BTW this theoretically could be used to sniff card data..I tried on an AMEX card and it read it through my jeans and wallet. Be vigilant!

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

I will say that my Nexus 4 was very finicky in scanning my Ventra card, but it scanned my AMEX card very easily when I tested that. I believe the Ventra cards to be particular. Try in many configurations - it did eventually work quite well once I found the right spot on the card and phone.

Welcome back and thanks for your service!

One way to test nfc would be with another person with a S5 or S4. You could try to use s beam to transfer contact details or a photo.

You could also set up google wallet on your phone, link a debit card, and pay at a turnstyle or Mc Donald's. If you test at the turnstyle, it will charge the credit/debit account full fare and you won't get a transfer.

Squareless may have issues with the S5, but I'm not sure.

There seems to be mixed results on the Google Play page as far as the app working or not working. One person claimed that it doesn't work on nexus 5.

Another thing that I just found out is that the NFC feature seems to rely on the phone's battery. If your battery isn't stock, it could impact the situation.

A case on the phone, could be interfering too.

People with an S5, please chime in.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Free mobile app

SilverWolf12

Nov 5, 2012
Here's what I did that worked for me, with the new website format.

Add new card - SwipeYours.
Use the SimplyBank Demo issuer and click send application
Select the Tapp app
Take your string acquired from Sqaureless and type it in the box to the left of "Modify Script." Click modify script when finished
Click personalize card
Click start new application
Select Visa Magstripe SwipeYours (even though MasterCard paypass is an option, don't pick that)

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

I had to scan it like 30 times before it finally read it. My phone kept vibrating as if it was communicating but it wouldn't read the string. Then randomly, it finally worked.

After you select Visa MagstripeYours, that's it? I don't have to do anything else? I've been hitting the modify script button and selecting personalize but not continuing on.

Worked brilliantly on my Nexus 4! Keep in mind that there is a space before and after the forward slash in the card data. Thank you!

BTW this theoretically could be used to sniff card data..I tried on an AMEX card and it read it through my jeans and wallet. Be vigilant!

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

I will say that my Nexus 4 was very finicky in scanning my Ventra card, but it scanned my AMEX card very easily when I tested that. I believe the Ventra cards to be particular. Try in many configurations - it did eventually work quite well once I found the right spot on the card and phone.

I've been putting in a space before the slash, not after so I'll try this and the post above tomorrow. Thank you all for the suggestions. Hopefully it will work for me this time. I can make a card fine, but the ventra fare machine won't read it and nothing happens.

Also, to avoid any security issues, could we use an app like LLama or Tasker to turn on NFC when we open Tapp and turn it off when we close Tapp? Would that help?

icmevans

Jun 27, 2011
You have a nexus 4? How did u get it to read the card? I can't get it to read mine. Can you post what version you are running?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

sirrix

Aug 5, 2014
No, you have to continue you on - there are some more detailed instructions on this reddit thread that should help but you keep going until it basically asks if you want to add another card. I can't add the external link but it is in the r/chicago subreddit, the title of the post is "Instructions to add your Android 4.4+ NFC device to an existing Ventra account"

Then you have to sync the Tapp app and authorize the card by hitting on "pay" and then selecting your option.

Re: security, I'm sorry I wasn't clear - the NFC phone app isn't likely a source of being sniffed but you certainly can set a PIN so you have to type your PIN each time you use it. What I was saying is I was unaware phones can be turned into NFC sniffers! This is good advice to everyone to keep your NFC cards (Ventra, AMEX, etc) safe from other people's phones.

After you select Visa MagstripeYours, that's it? I don't have to do anything else? I've been hitting the modify script button and selecting personalize but not continuing on.

I've been putting in a space before the slash, not after so I'll try this and the post above tomorrow. Thank you all for the suggestions. Hopefully it will work for me this time. I can make a card fine, but the ventra fare machine won't read it and nothing happens.

Also, to avoid any security issues, could we use an app like LLama or Tasker to turn on NFC when we open Tapp and turn it off when we close Tapp? Would that help?

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

You have a nexus 4? How did u get it to read the card? I can't get it to read mine. Can you post what version you are running?

Yeah I'm using a stock unlocked Nexus 4 running version 4.4.4. It took me a hundred tries to get it to work but just try every possible location on the card and the phone - the NFC chip on the Ventra card is a piece of garbage and needs to be right on the right spot on the phone to get it to work.

reflux83

Apr 26, 2011
Work great on Oneplus One

I was unable to read ventra card on my OPO. I ended up using squareless on a Nexus 7 (2012) to read the card and even that was difficult. But once I was able to get the number and transfer it to simplytapp it seems to work even more effectively than the ventra card itself. Thanks for the guide. You should mention that the ventra card will take some patience to get to be read.

Reactions: webmastir

icmevans

Jun 27, 2011
I've been trying to get my nexus 4 to read my Ventra upass for like an hour. All I have gotten is a bunch of "vamms " or the sound it makes and twice got 2 failed card reads. Anyone know a better way??

lagoboss

Oct 28, 2013
Chicago
We need to make a list of squareless hassle free devices.

eamondaly

Jan 14, 2011
Works on Moto X

Worked flawlessly on my Moto X. Interestingly, the turnstile had trouble reading if I put the phone right against it (which I normally have to do with my card). Hovering it about a half-inch away worked fine.

icmevans

Jun 27, 2011
Okay. So I finally got the card read after too long. But what is the application secret and the key? What's the difference?

Scratch all of this! Lol all you have to do is not do custom issuer.

Last edited:

kubodhi

Dec 4, 2009
Does this only work with standard fare transactions? I subscribe to a monthly unlimited pass and as far as I can tell from here (ventrachicago.com/terms/#linkedTo), the reader would only see the NFC information and not the actual transit pass linked to my Ventra card. Can anyone clarify this?

lagoboss

Oct 28, 2013
Chicago
It emulates your physical card. Any pass on your card will be available on the phone.

The ventra pads see the phone as the card; they are even interchangeable meaning: you can tap on the bus (the pad deducts full fare and then you tap the phone on the turnstyle (the pad gives you your transfer).

I use this setup with my UPASS with unlimited rides and there is no issue. It only charges me when my pass isn't active.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: macallik

iSecks

Nov 30, 2009
Omg yes! This is awesome, I've been wanting to do this for a while but I didn't know how. Thanks for the guide!

Juiceboy125

Dec 9, 2010
Seems like this doesn't work for me. The SimplyTap app keeps crashing when I try opening it. :/ I was really looking forward to using my phone for this. I have the Find 7a running CM11. Is there an alternative app I could use?

icmevans

Jun 27, 2011
That is correct. U have to open each one separately I believe. And u can't put Ventra cards into google wallet which is odd.

highcheef13

Jun 16, 2010
Add a card, select swipe yours, you will end up at a webpage telling you that you need a card swiper inorder to continue, this is not the case. click Get The Card Now. Sign in, authorize the new card (blah, blah, blah). stop when you get to Put your swipe data in this box.

After I select SwipeYours it brings me here: http://i.imgur.com/mLnEyKO.png

I can't figure out how to proceed... Maybe they updated the app since your original instructions?

Reactions: webmastir

icmevans

Jun 27, 2011
Yeah this was my problem. All you have to do is click send application. After that you just follow the instructions it gives you. Put in the code. And edit script and then continue or what ever the button is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a how-to guide on using your phone's NFC to get onto the CTA.
    Requirements are as follows:
    Android 4.4 (KitKat)
    SimplyTapp App
    SquareLess App
    Phone that supports NFC
    Ventra Card

First install and setup SimplyTapp. It's free, runs on almost anything with 4.4 and will be the main application used when getting on the CTA.

After you have setup your SimplyTapp account, create your PIN.

Add a card, select swipe yours, you will end up at a webpage telling you that you need a card swiper inorder to continue, this is not the case. click Get The Card Now. Sign in, authorize the new card (blah, blah, blah). stop when you get to Put your swipe data in this box.

goto the home screen (Push home button or however you do it on your phone)

Install SquareLess from PlayStore (Same developer that made SimplyTapp)
    Open SquareLess
    Hold your Ventra Card upto your phones NFC sensor (most devices are on the back).
    You will hear the NFC sound on your phone and if it reads it sucessfully you will get a long string on numbers (possibly letters aswell). Get a piece of paper (If anyone can figure out how to clipboard this PLEASE TELL US HOW), write the entire string including all numbers, letters and special characters.

Now goback to your web browser which will have the swipe data box we saw earlier in it. Type the ENTIRE string into the box, it has to be exact (case sensitive) with no changes. After you have the ENTIRE string entered, click Swipe Complete.

The card will save to your account. ALL DONE!!!

Make sure you select Tapp as your default pay app under settings, otherwise gWallet will transmit cc info.

Now when your at the station or a bus. Open the Application, click on the card, hit Pay. Hold the device over the Ventra scanner and you should get a GO!

I did this using my Ventra Mastercard, after using it I checked my MoneyNetwork prepaid balance and it did not charge under the prepaid. Checked ventrachicago.com and it showed up under my transit balance. SO IT WORKED.

Its just like a second ventra card, you can even interchange the card with the phone. EXAMPLE: get on the redline using the card, transfer to the bus using the phone and still pay transfer price.

Let me know your trials and tribulations. Feedback is welcomed, works or not. LET ME KNOW
    I got it to work again. I pretty much started from scratch. Deleted all cards I had stored. Uninstalled the app and started the whole process over. Also I entered in the full string and not just the second half. Don't know if that made a difference but it just worked for me.

I'm going to talk with Ventra in the next couple days about making an official app. I know this is something they have wanted since the beginning... And know that I've figured it out, it shouldn't be that hard.
    I can confirm that it is working again after reinstalling the app and re-adding the card.

I let him know about the nicknames and also suggested the ability to select the card's photo.