[Q] Newb questions about Cincinnati Bell HTC One S

Search This thread

Kamchak

Apr 12, 2014
I have a Cincinnati Bell HTC One S that I've had for about 18 months. I play games and use apps, very rarely use it for pictures(10 max before I move them to my desktop), and never for music. I started having issues with games, and the game help desk said I needed to install the new andriod update. The phone says it is version 4.1.1, 3.14.422.11 710RD, and when I try to do a manual update, it says there is no update available. I started looking online, rather than through Cincinnati Bell, and I see that a version 4.1.2 version came out for my phone last summer, and many people are even running versions up to 4.4? I also noticed that my phone is set with 6.07GB for Internal Storage, and 9.93GB of Phone Storage.

Would my phone be performing better with an updated version?
Since I don't really use any storage for movies, music, or pictures, is there a way to re-allocate the storage so I have more room for apps?
Since I don't really use any storage for movies, music, or pictures, is there a way to get rid of the apps related to them? (Google Play Books, Music, Newsstand, Google Text-to-Speech Engine, SoundHound)

I am obviously a complete newb, but I follow directions well. Can someone please help me out or direct me to what I'm supposed to read?

Kamchak

Apr 12, 2014
I'm really not trying to waste anyone's time or effort, but maybe I didn't give enough information, asked the right questions, or maybe I'm too much a beginner for this site. I'll try to add to what I previously posted.

I searched the web articles about my phone, my carrier, my version, and HTC updates in general. The general conclusion is that, even though there have been updates released by HTC for the One S, my carrier has not tested and/or made the updates available, and, upon further reading, there are many updates available beyond the official updates that people are using successfully and stably. Therefore, I decided it looks like it's up to me to keep my phone functioning for my specific purposes, so I needed to figure out what was the most successfully and stably used upgrade to my phone/carrier's system, and how to go about applying it.

I searched the web for forums about my phone, and the 3 most popular results are xda-developers.com, androidcentral.com(which seems to focus on non-US, and doesn't have a very active community, regardless of expertise), and cyanogenmod.com(which didn't have any referrences to my carrier). I came here because it has the most active community with members who have direct experience with my phone and my carrier, specifically.

I read all the posts here that had 'Cincinnati Bell HTC One S' in the titles or bodies, but they seemed much farther down the decision tree and involved many terms/processes/programs that I am not familiar with.

Am I at the wrong site?
Am I in the wrong forum?
Am I asking the wrong questions?

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
I'm really not trying to waste anyone's time or effort, but maybe I didn't give enough information, asked the right questions, or maybe I'm too much a beginner for this site. I'll try to add to what I previously posted.

I searched the web articles about my phone, my carrier, my version, and HTC updates in general. The general conclusion is that, even though there have been updates released by HTC for the One S, my carrier has not tested and/or made the updates available, and, upon further reading, there are many updates available beyond the official updates that people are using successfully and stably. Therefore, I decided it looks like it's up to me to keep my phone functioning for my specific purposes, so I needed to figure out what was the most successfully and stably used upgrade to my phone/carrier's system, and how to go about applying it.

I searched the web for forums about my phone, and the 3 most popular results are xda-developers.com, androidcentral.com(which seems to focus on non-US, and doesn't have a very active community, regardless of expertise), and cyanogenmod.com(which didn't have any referrences to my carrier). I came here because it has the most active community with members who have direct experience with my phone and my carrier, specifically.

I read all the posts here that had 'Cincinnati Bell HTC One S' in the titles or bodies, but they seemed much farther down the decision tree and involved many terms/processes/programs that I am not familiar with.

Am I at the wrong site?
Am I in the wrong forum?

There is no official update for your Cincinnati Bell HTC One S. Only way to update is getting S-OFF and/or change the CID.

Reactions: Kamchak

Kamchak

Apr 12, 2014
Sold! :)

Ok, what is S-OFF and CID? Should I do them both, or in a certain order?

I will follow whatever instructions and/or read/research whatever you want.

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Sold! :)

Ok, what is S-OFF and CID? Should I do them both, or in a certain order?

I will follow whatever instructions and/or read/research whatever you want.

I just minded you're already running Jellybean, so please check your HBoot version as followed:

Power off the phone --> Press "Vol down + Power" at the same time and your phone will boot into bootloader. You can read different values. If your "HBOOT" is at least 2.15 you can manually install any newer Android versions e.g. 4.4.2 :)

Kamchak

Apr 12, 2014
I just minded you're already running Jellybean, so please check your HBoot version as followed:

Power off the phone --> Press "Vol down + Power" at the same time and your phone will boot into bootloader. You can read different values. If your "HBOOT" is at least 2.15 you can manually install any newer Android versions e.g. 4.4.2 :)

Sorry it took so long -I just found out the hard way that I have to turn off Fastboot to get to bootloader.

So, my HBOOT is 2.15.0000! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Am I at the wrong site?
    Am I in the wrong forum?

There is no official update for your Cincinnati Bell HTC One S. Only way to update is getting S-OFF and/or change the CID.