[MOD] Enable unlimited USB, Wifi, and Bluetooth tethering.

Search This thread

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
Hey all. My first mod on the GNII. It's the result of ideas I had (modifying tetheringprovision.apk) and a bud (Electron73) had (modifying framework-res.apk) to restore the innate tethering ability of Android that AT$T loves to nuke for some reason...

The original idea came from Electron's thread post here and seeing as how I just got my new Note II I figured I'd try it out.. Eureka.. It works.

Again as you saw the idea was his.. Just a much cleaner mod that my modded Provision that fooled the simcard.

I've tested it on my device but as usual take the standard precautions... Back up before applying.

My phone is pure stock excluding this mod but I'm sure that'll be changing and I'll keep this up to date as I can.

Good luck and feedback is welcomed.

4Shared link - Flashable zipfile.. I use TWRP but should be fine in CWM.

Last edited:

BMEEKS

Nov 18, 2012
stockton
how to flash

Is this flash-able through Clock work recovery. Sorry if its a dumb question also will ATT see our usage like always and send us nasty emails trying to force us to a tethering plan. thanks in advance for your time and help.

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
Is this flash-able through Clock work recovery. Sorry if its a dumb question also will ATT see our usage like always and send us nasty emails trying to force us to a tethering plan. thanks in advance for your time and help.

Yes, it is.

Edited OP to reflect.

There has been much discussion about whether or not they can 'see' tethering. In short if they choose to put the time and effort into it by doing packet analyzation or going back and and looking and your browsing then technically, yes it can always be detected. Just be mindful and don't go crazy and you should be fine. The last 3 devices I've had over 4 years were all modded to re-enable tethering and I've been fine but that's my story. Yours might differ. The main thing I'd suggest is to not go crazy and use 20 gigs of mobile data or something obvious. :)

I average 2-3 gigs a month regular phone usage so getting closer to the throttle ceiling of 5 shouldn't matter that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkhill

BMEEKS

Nov 18, 2012
stockton
much appreciated

Yes, it is.

Edited OP to reflect.

There has been much discussion about whether or not they can 'see' tethering. In short if they choose to put the time and effort into it by doing packet analyzation or going back and and looking and your browsing then technically, yes it can always be detected. Just be mindful and don't go crazy and you should be fine. The last 3 devices I've had over 4 years were all modded to re-enable tethering and I've been fine but that's my story. Yours might differ. The main thing I'd suggest is to not go crazy and use 20 gigs of mobile data or something obvious. :)

I average 2-3 gigs a month regular phone usage so getting closer to the throttle ceiling of 5 shouldn't matter that much.

Thank you for your response and great advice it is much appreciated. Have a great holiday.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Just to NOTE. That AT&T Lte data plan & if your on an unlimited plan than your data cap is set to 10 gigs, b4 they slow you down. :what:
But we'll b using this thanx

Side note: when I tethered my Xbox from my phone they sent me a msg telling me about tethering plan. But just for normal use everyone will b ok. I get no msg from AT&T ever!:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

ko0ky

Jul 11, 2007
Michigan
i am using Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control rom when I installed this zip. It seems to be working fine, but now the multiwindow function isn't working. Just curious if anyone has this mod working with Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control ROM?

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
i am using Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control rom when I installed this zip. It seems to be working fine, but now the multiwindow function isn't working. Just curious if anyone has this mod working with Modded I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control ROM?

You mean this rom?

If so, I'll apply the mod to it and post a flashable zip tonight. Will be easy to port..

Reactions: Rocket42

kkl0wn

Dec 23, 2007
This is probably the first thing I will flash on my GN2. Haven't seen anything else worth it except multi-window support. I need to tether my 4G with my Nexus 7! Been using FoxFi but prefer the native tethering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

E--Man

May 1, 2012
Hi, first thank you to OP. Can you advise what the advantages are to tethering using this "native" method vs out of the box besides the carrier not knowing you are doing so? It seems like straight NAT but is there a performance gain?

Thanks.

hkeyman

Nov 11, 2006
Ventura, Ca.
Hi, first thank you to OP. Can you advise what the advantages are to tethering using this "native" method vs out of the box besides the carrier not knowing you are doing so? It seems like straight NAT but is there a performance gain?

Thanks.

Thanks Mo for sharing, I have been trying to find a tether that works with the GNII and your solution worked like a champ! I got my GT-8013 Tethered to the phone along with the Two Wifi PS Vita's attached with no issues and working perfectly! Happy Holidays indeed to all! ;)

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC

Thanks.

Well..

Performance wise it isn't any different than the out-of-the-box method.. It IS the out-of-the-box method minus the provisioning app that the out-of-the-box method calls to see if you are 'eligible' before it activates tethering.

The gains:

The out-of-the-box method had no bluetooth tethering.. This does.

The install script deletes 'ProvisionManager.apk' and 'ProvisionManager.odex' since they aren't called any longer so.. You gain device space? Though it may be a moot point given the device capacity.

For me.. This is what mattered: This method isn't a hack. Zero chance of breaking something else on the device. Its a step toward making android perform as it was intended before that carriers perform their surgeries on it. I know this one may just be a personal preference but it really REALLY irritates me that American carriers spend time and effort to block features of the device that the device would have innately done before they modified it.

I wont get into a debate of semantics but if I shell out non-contract prices on a device and buy it outright (as I did in this case) I can't for the life of me figure out how the carrier has the right to tell me what features the device can have. They have every right to dictate service plan features but not device features.

Enough rambling. Back to development discussions. (If you wanna reply to my small rant, please, use PM)

Hi there...I too am on that ROM ...does the link now work on it? Thank you

No. I'll make a mod that does and update the OP with a second link as soon as I finish it.. Stay tuned.

UPDATE:
I decompiled the framework-res.apk from this rom. It seems to have the needed edits for tethering to be unlimited. Is tethering missing from that rom? I'm headed out for drinks but I'll flash the complete rom later tonight or tomorrow and test it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocket42

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
Hey all. My first mod on the GNII. It's the result of ideas I had (modifying tetheringprovision.apk) and a bud (Electron73) had (modifying framework-res.apk) to restore the innate tethering ability of Android that AT$T loves to nuke for some reason...

The original idea came from Electron's thread post here and seeing as how I just got my new Note II I figured I'd try it out.. Eureka.. It works.

Again as you saw the idea was his.. Just a much cleaner mod that my modded Provision that fooled the simcard.

I've tested it on my device but as usual take the standard precautions... Back up before applying.

My phone is pure stock excluding this mod but I'm sure that'll be changing and I'll keep this up to date as I can.

Nice job! Thanks for sharing!

Flame Red

Yes, it is.

Edited OP to reflect.

I flashed with the I317_N7105ZHALJ4 and it activated the teathering, WIFI, BT and USB work great as does Multi-window :good:

However, I am not sure what port this teathering uses. In some platforms, the teathering uses a different port number than other general data that apps use. The carriers can then easily scan for data using this port and send you the nasty SMS or just start charging you their tethering fees. But if the MOD uses the right port - the carriers would have no idea.

Anyone know which port I317_N7105ZHALJ4 ROM uses?

Last edited:

Tenkie

Oct 18, 2011
This should work with the completely stock cleanrom 1.1.1 right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

45ACP1911

Nov 14, 2012
It's what I'm using it on and works perfectly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ok try this and let me know its the stock DEODEXED lk7 framework-res with tethering.

Stock LK7 Modded
    Here you go it's a modified framework-res.apk from CleanROM ATT SE 1.0 and a CleanROM ATT SE 1.0 stock just in case something goes wrong.

Modded Framework Flashable zip

Stock Framework Flashabe zip

Grab them both just in case and flash the modded one in recovery
    Ok here you go...Stock odexed modified for tethering, and the stock files just in case something goes wrong. Both flashable in recovery.

Modded LK7 Odexed

Stock LK7 Odexed

Let me know if it works or not.
    Just to NOTE. That AT&T Lte data plan & if your on an unlimited plan than your data cap is set to 10 gigs, b4 they slow you down. :what:
    But we'll b using this thanx

Side note: when I tethered my Xbox from my phone they sent me a msg telling me about tethering plan. But just for normal use everyone will b ok. I get no msg from AT&T ever!:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium