FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,274
 
By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th October 2012, 03:36 AM |#511  
Felimenta97's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ribeirão Preto
Thanks Meter: 2,328
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost ic0n

TBH, I'm lost right now lol. I'm just another one of those extra careful, extra whatever-you-call 'em type of people that can't decide on one thing. I've been looking around various deals for new, in-box & factory unlocked Xperia phones and so far, I'm finding deals of the Ion and S in which there's a $80 USD difference between the two. Other than just that price difference, I'm leaning towards the Ion, and I don't know why..... trust of the gut, maybe?

Anyway, the last thing I'd like to ask would be:
- What am I losing if I buy the Ion? And what am I gaining?
- What am I losing if I buy the S? And what am I gaining?

Both have ICS, and both have positive reviews. Although none of the reviews really mentioned sound quality/music play-back in general, will I be getting a proper iPod replacement if I pair any of the two sets with good quality headphones? Oh, and the XT is out of my budget.

BTW, thanks a bunch for the help!

Let me try to help you:

Ion
Pro:
Bigger screen (0.3 bigger)
Maybe a brighter screen
MicroSD slot

Con:
Smaller PPI (less pixels per inch, that makes the individual pixels easier to see)
Almost null dev (maybe not even root)
Boring design

S:
Pro:
Higher PPI (can't remember about numbers, but it's not they noticeable the difference)
More development
Easier root
Better design
More internal memory (32 GB vs 16 GB Ion)

Con
No MICROSD card slot
... Honestly I can't think of more cons for it.

Both phones have NFC, same camera and audio.

There is an awesome mod, which started on the XS forums, and spread when the compatibility to other devices got higher, that is awesome. It really increases the sound quality.

For the headphones, I'd say to toy to check the headphones thread on the accessories section of XS forums. There are dozens and dozens of pages with opinions, which headphones works, which work partially, etc.

"I got my values. So you can keep yours, OK?"
The Following User Says Thank You to Felimenta97 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Felimenta97 Ad-Free
18th October 2012, 01:40 PM |#512  
prithvee's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mangalore
Thanks Meter: 594
 
More
Question specs or brand name
What is the way to choose a phone? ????

SPECIFICATIONS OR BRAND NAME?????
COZ THE SMALLER BRANDS LIKE MMX AND KARBONN HAVE GREATER SPECS THAN THE LARGER BRANDS KEEPING PRICE IN MIND! !!!!!!!
18th October 2012, 01:51 PM |#513  
Ghost ic0n's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 41
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felimenta97

Let me try to help you:

Ion
Pro:
Bigger screen (0.3 bigger)
Maybe a brighter screen
MicroSD slot

Con:
Smaller PPI (less pixels per inch, that makes the individual pixels easier to see)
Almost null dev (maybe not even root)
Boring design

S:
Pro:
Higher PPI (can't remember about numbers, but it's not they noticeable the difference)
More development
Easier root
Better design
More internal memory (32 GB vs 16 GB Ion)

Con
No MICROSD card slot
... Honestly I can't think of more cons for it.

Both phones have NFC, same camera and audio.

There is an awesome mod, which started on the XS forums, and spread when the compatibility to other devices got higher, that is awesome. It really increases the sound quality.

For the headphones, I'd say to toy to check the headphones thread on the accessories section of XS forums. There are dozens and dozens of pages with opinions, which headphones works, which work partially, etc.

"I got my values. So you can keep yours, OK?"

*checks XS development forum*

I'm buying the S.

Thanks for the help, you saved my first buy!
18th October 2012, 02:07 PM |#514  
gagdude's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Northbrook
Thanks Meter: 579
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvee

What is the way to choose a phone? ????

SPECIFICATIONS OR BRAND NAME?????
COZ THE SMALLER BRANDS LIKE MMX AND KARBONN HAVE GREATER SPECS THAN THE LARGER BRANDS KEEPING PRICE IN MIND! !!!!!!!

Here at xda, there is a bigger factor: development. And lesser known phones have none of that
And I don't think any phone has greater specs than the S4 Pro CPUs

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium
18th October 2012, 02:13 PM |#515  
amarjit_rsingh's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 322
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagdude

Here at xda, there is a bigger factor: development. And lesser known phones have none of that
And I don't think any phone has greater specs than the S4 Pro CPUs

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium

True

Sent from my ST27i using xda premium
18th October 2012, 06:26 PM |#516  
Felimenta97's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ribeirão Preto
Thanks Meter: 2,328
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost ic0n

*checks XS development forum*

I'm buying the S.

Thanks for the help, you saved my first buy!

I'm glad to help

"I got my values. So you can keep yours, OK?"
18th October 2012, 07:22 PM |#517  
rjunraj's Avatar
Senior Member
surat
Thanks Meter: 356
 
More
I want to buy a new android phone.
My budget is 12000
I am very fond of playing hd games and watching movies.
I dont prefer any brand
Which phone should i go for
I would like to buy
Spice mi 500 karbonn a21 or mmx a110
All are dual core
But really very confused coz its very difficuilt to compare karbon's msm7627 a snapdragon dualcore processor with aderno 203 gpu with spice mi 500's
Mtk6577 1ghz dualcore processor with powervr sgx 531 gpu.
Benchmark tests are almost similar
18th October 2012, 07:41 PM |#518  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I'm also looking to buy a new phone
My first (and currently in use with Cyanogen Mod 9) it's the sony xperia x10 mini pro, loved the OS but I think it's time to look for a new phone
As for the money something in between mid-high end phones wouldn't be a problem, Sony's phones are OK, but I saw the Samsung S3 recently and that beautiful screen really impressed me a lot, I can't afford it though.

I don't prefer any particular brands so please enlighten me with a good phone =P.

Thanks in advance for the help
18th October 2012, 07:54 PM |#519  
vj_dustin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 566
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekite

I'm also looking to buy a new phone
My first (and currently in use with Cyanogen Mod 9) it's the sony xperia x10 mini pro, loved the OS but I think it's time to look for a new phone
As for the money something in between mid-high end phones wouldn't be a problem, Sony's phones are OK, but I saw the Samsung S3 recently and that beautiful screen really impressed me a lot, I can't afford it though.

I don't prefer any particular brands so please enlighten me with a good phone =P.

Thanks in advance for the help

Look at Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250
The Following User Says Thank You to vj_dustin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vj_dustin Ad-Free
18th October 2012, 08:20 PM |#520  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_dustin

Look at Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250

That's one sexy looking phone, the only thing that I would like to improve it's the camera, don't get me wrong it looks nice but something just a little bit better could make the difference plus an extra memory slot could come in handy

Thanks for the suggestion I'll keep it mind
18th October 2012, 08:27 PM |#521  
vj_dustin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 566
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekite

That's one sexy looking phone, the only thing that I would like to improve it's the camera, don't get me wrong it looks nice but something just a little bit better could make the difference plus an extra memory slot could come in handy

Thanks for the suggestion I'll keep it mind

usually mid range phones sport a 5MP. And the video recording is 720p, this was an exception.
Also for the slot, see, Galaxy S Advance or wait for Galaxy S3 Mini (Though you can check specs on GSMArena even now)
The Following User Says Thank You to vj_dustin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vj_dustin Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes