[TUT] Dummies guide: updating HTC USB Sync Drivers

Search This thread

nearlygod

Apr 28, 2008
Hi,
i wanted to try this driver with Windows 7 because, after initial success, Windows 7 refuses to sync with my phone unless i set it to slow sync mode(which needs hours to sync)

So i follow your instructions, then i get this message (attachment1).
I un/replug and check the driver (see attachment 2)
I didn´t change.

thx for your help,

nearly

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 87

sgpoorguy

Sep 13, 2005
Hi,

After I got into the boot loader screen, my phone is showing "loading......" with a grey background with nothing else. I don't see a serial below nor a usb after I connect the phone to the PC. Any idea what is wrong here?

Thanks

FuZi0n

Jan 11, 2009
Bennebroek
www.joostverkaik.nl
Just a small add, when I tried to update the drivers I ALWAYS got the message "couldn't complete blahblah error...". USPL didn't work either when I got the failed message. However, when I started it and pulled out the usb cable after like a little over 10 seconds, it works. So that's just a tip for the people who experience the same problem.
It's quite a while ago since I started using that 'method', so I don't exactly remember the screen I got but I believe it's the one from nearlygod's screenshots.

Nice guide anyway :)

Last edited:

lunakirb

Jun 20, 2009
AUH
[Question]

i already updated my usb drivers before and flashed many cooked roms already
and just a question pops up my head why flashing last night..

if i uninstall the active sync(old) and install it again(active sync 4.5), do i have to update the USB drivers once again?

thats all

thank you.

Last edited:

cverstij

Aug 21, 2009
When I go back to the "Show Compatible Hardware" screen where I have to click on the "Have Disk" button and then go choose the .inf file, it comes back with a "This driver is not digitally signed".

What do I do now?

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
When I go back to the "Show Compatible Hardware" screen where I have to click on the "Have Disk" button and then go choose the .inf file, it comes back with a "This driver is not digitally signed".

What do I do now?

Are you running Vista 64 bit?

From post #3
If you have the 64-bit edition of Windows you must disable digital driver signing before you continue on! To do this, restart your computer. After the initial BIOS screen but before the Windows bootup splash screen, spam press F8 until you see a Windows menu. If you do not get a menu and end up in Windows you pressed F8 at the wrong time. Try it again until you get the menu. In the menu select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement or Disable Digital Driver Signing (depending on your version of Windows). Windows will finish booting up and you can continue on.

cverstij

Aug 21, 2009
No, 32-bit XP. It will let me go ahead and install the driver, but I get some message that says Microsoft STRONGLY recommends NOT installing the unsigned driver.

antu_pogroms

Oct 20, 2008
hyep.. thanks for this thread.. i need some help. i'm using windows 7 64bit and latest WMDC. So, i follow all the step on post 3. I've restart my pc and disable digital driver signing. I've kill my anti virus sevices and disable firewall. After that i put my phone to bootloader and plug it to my computer. The problem is, at the bootloader, it says that "serial" and not "usb". My SPL version is 1.14.0000. It never been flash before. My phone is stock phone. I've follow the steps to uncheck "allow usb connection" at WMDC. I've check that Windows Mobile 2003-based device connectivity and Windows Mobile-based device connectivity services show Started. However at the device manager, my phone is not showing. I've try with different USB port and different USB cable.. The same problem occurs. I've try using my friend blackstone and it works fine.

How to solve this problem? Thanks in advance...

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
hyep.. thanks for this thread.. i need some help. i'm using windows 7 64bit and latest WMDC. So, i follow all the step on post 3. I've restart my pc and disable digital driver signing. I've kill my anti virus sevices and disable firewall. After that i put my phone to bootloader and plug it to my computer. The problem is, at the bootloader, it says that "serial" and not "usb". My SPL version is 1.14.0000. It never been flash before. My phone is stock phone. I've follow the steps to uncheck "allow usb connection" at WMDC. I've check that Windows Mobile 2003-based device connectivity and Windows Mobile-based device connectivity services show Started. However at the device manager, my phone is not showing. I've try with different USB port and different USB cable.. The same problem occurs. I've try using my friend blackstone and it works fine.

How to solve this problem? Thanks in advance...
Did you complete the first step from the guide:
Before you start this, put your phone into its bootloader and plug it into your computer via the USB cable. Your phone should show USB at the bottom of the bootloader screen. It is very important not to skip this!
You can also try this: In Settings\Connections\USB to PC try disabling enable faster data synchronization.

antu_pogroms

Oct 20, 2008
Did you complete the first step from the guide:

You can also try this: In Settings\Connections\USB to PC try disabling enable faster data synchronization.

yup. i've try the first step but my bootloader shows that it is "serial" and not "usb". How to fix this? I've also disable the faster data synchronization from the USB to PC setting. I've also restart my pc with disabling digital signiture and disable all antivirus and firewall.

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
yup. i've try the first step but my bootloader shows that it is "serial" and not "usb". How to fix this? I've also disable the faster data synchronization from the USB to PC setting. I've also restart my pc with disabling digital signiture and disable all antivirus and firewall.
Does your phone connect to Windows Mobile Centre normally ie not in bootloader mode?

I'm not sure if the sequence of events is important, but try this. Unplug all cables from the device and then start up in bootloader mode. Wait until serial appears at the bottom and only then insert the usb cable into the phone.

I've checked up and in this thread it appears that for Windows 7 you may be able to just flash without updating the usb drivers.

Sorry, it's hard to figure out what could be the problem as mine worked 1st time and did not have problems.

antu_pogroms

Oct 20, 2008
Does your phone connect to Windows Mobile Centre normally ie not in bootloader mode?

I'm not sure if the sequence of events is important, but try this. Unplug all cables from the device and then start up in bootloader mode. Wait until serial appears at the bottom and only then insert the usb cable into the phone.

I've checked up and in this thread it appears that for Windows 7 you may be able to just flash without updating the usb drivers.

Sorry, it's hard to figure out what could be the problem as mine worked 1st time and did not have problems.

Nop. My phone don't connect normally to Windows Mobile Device Centre. When i plug the cable to my pc and phone, pop up showed on my phone asking me to choose whether to connect to pc as activesync or diskdrive. I choose activesync and nothing happen after that at my phone and pc. I'll try your suggestion to run bootloader first and after it shows "serial" then i plug the cable. Nothings happen even i've wait for 10 minutes. Friend of mine also using Blackstone and Windows 7 64bit and Windows Mobile Device Center and her phone connect successfully without any problem. Is it my phone had a hardware problem?:(

Anyway, thanks for your advice. I hope my phone will be able to connect because i have to sync all my contact and calender to my phone. Besides that, I'll not be able to install application or flasing rom.:(

antu_pogroms

Oct 20, 2008
i've noticed that when i plug in a wall charger, pop up shows saying that "The device doesn't support USB headset. Please remove it."

So, it might be a hardware problem?

neeth

Apr 16, 2009
can't see mobile devices in device manager

hi.. i am using vista 32 bit ... and my device manager is not showing mobile devices tab in device manager.. so i am not able to update the driver... can anyone help me please......
thank you

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
hi.. i am using vista 32 bit ... and my device manager is not showing mobile devices tab in device manager.. so i am not able to update the driver... can anyone help me please......
thank you

Did you put your phone into bootloader mode (shows serial at bottom of screen) and then plugged it into your computer via the USB cable? If so, did your phone then change to USB at the bottom of the bootloader screen before you started the driver update procedure?

Also, did you then untick "Allow usb connections" in Widows Mobile Device Centre?

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
i've noticed that when i plug in a wall charger, pop up shows saying that "The device doesn't support USB headset. Please remove it."

So, it might be a hardware problem?

Are you still having issues? Have you followed guide at start of this thread to update drivers correctly? Did you reboot your pc after?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Windows Vista / Windows 7

Use this method only if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7!

• Before you start this, put your phone into its bootloader and plug it into your computer via the USB cable. Your phone should show USB at the bottom of the bootloader screen. It is very important not to skip this!
    • If you have the 64-bit edition of Windows you must disable digital driver signing before you continue on! To do this, restart your computer. After the initial BIOS screen but before the Windows bootup splash screen, spam press F8 until you see a Windows menu. If you do not get a menu and end up in Windows you pressed F8 at the wrong time. Try it again until you get the menu. In the menu select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement or Disable Digital Driver Signing (depending on your version of Windows). Windows will finish booting up and you can continue on.
    • If you have Windows Mobile Device Center installed, start at step WV1. Otherwise skip to step WV4.
    WV1 - Downloads

• (WV1a) Drivers.zip
    • (WV1b) Extract each item to its own folder
    WV2 - Open Windows Mobile Device Center, hover over Mobile Device Settings and click Connection Settings.

1.jpg

WV3 - Uncheck Allow USB connections and click OK and then close Windows Mobile Device Center.

2.jpg

WV4 - Press Start menu, Run, type in services.msc, and press OK. Or you can press and hold the Windows and R keys. This also brings up the Run dialog.

3.jpg

WV5 - Make sure both the Windows Mobile 2003-based device connectivity and Windows Mobile-based device connectivity services show Started. If they are not, start them.

4.jpg

WV6 - Press Start menu, Run, type in devmgmt.msc, and press OK. Or you can press and hold the Windows and R keys. This also brings up the Run dialog.

5.jpg

WV7 - In the Device Manager locate Mobile Devices and expand it. Double-click on HTC USB Sync.

6.jpg

WV8 - In the HTC USB Sync Properties click the Driver tab and then Update Driver.

7.jpg

WV9 - In the Update Driver Software Wizard, click the Browse my computer for driver software button.

8.jpg

WV10 - Continuing in the Update Driver Software Wizard, click the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer button.

9.jpg

WV11 - Continuing in the Update Driver Software Wizard, click the Have Disk button.

10.jpg

WV12 - In the Locate File dialog, browse to where you downloaded the driver. Select the 32-bit folder if you use the 32-bit edition of Windows, or select the 64-bit folder if you use the 64-bit edition. Select wceusbsh.inf and click the Open button.

11.jpg

WV12 - Back in the Update Driver Software Wizard, select the HTC USB Sync and click Next.

12.jpg

WV14 - Continuing in the Update Driver Software Wizard, you will see a message: The hardware you installed will not work until you restart your computer.

This is not true at all, do not restart. Click Finish.

13.jpg

WV15 - The Device Manager will show an exclamation point next to the HTC USB Sync. Unplug the USB cable from your phone. You will notice the bootloader on your phone change from USB to Serial.

14.jpg

WV16 - The Device Manager will no longer show the HTC USB Sync. Plug the USB cable back in to your phone. You will notice the bootloader on your phone change from Serial to USB. The Device Manager will now show the HTC USB Sync as fully functional. You are done!

16.jpg

A big noobish question: what are these drivers meant for?? what are the benefits of installing them?? :D

Also interested in this one. Haven't heard of them so far :D?

If you want to use USPL or MTTY.
    Win 7 64 U
    Windows currently on Test Mode, Build 7600.

Vivo PVT Ship S-ON RL
    HBOOT 1.09.0000
    RADIO 38.02.01.11_M
    eMMC-boot

Steps given do not work. HBOOT shows HBOOT USB PLUG and HBOOT USB below in the menu.

My device manager shows 'Other devices' instead of 'Mobile devices'. My phone is detected as 'Android 1.0'. I get code 52 when trying to install the usb driver. Any ideas?

*edit*
    found a way to make RUU work. I already have a goldcard but RUU ain't detecting my phone due to the USB problem. Found out there is another way:
    Go to developer.htc.com
    Scroll to most bottom
    Download HTC Android USB Driver for Microsoft PC
    Manually install working drivers with device manager

RUU worked and I'm using Australia Virgin Gingerbread rom now :D