[ADDON] NotAndBuntu 11.04 Beta5 (Ubuntu Natty Narwhal)

Search This thread

niematunikogo

Jun 24, 2010
Poznań
do you think it would be possible to get USB host and Ubuntu working together?

I would like to be able to connect xoom to another webcam (remote one via USB or wireless - not the built in one) / or externat printer, or whatever else besides usb storage and I think it would be easier to accomplish in ubuntu. But would such ubuntu "see" devices connected to USB?

thanks for your opinion ;)

dougvan

Jan 3, 2005
So my install doesnt like me. I am rooted and have BusyBox installed. When i run "sh setupubuntu" i get the following:

mount: can't setup loop device: No such file or directory
mount: mounting devpts on /system/ubuntu/dev/pts failed: No such file or directory

And it continues from there for anything located in the /system/ubuntu folder

/system/ubuntu exists but the only item contained within it is sdcard. I have remounted it rw, deleted the ubuntu folder and started again several times. All it does is recreate the ubuntu/sdcard directory and then errors out.

Thoughts?

Oh, I am also running the OC boot image. Was this ever tested with that?

Thanks!

niematunikogo

Jun 24, 2010
Poznań
when I had ubuntu on my N1 I remember I had the same error. The fix was to edit manually the script... it was well covered on a page nexusone-hack? or something, but I cannot find the link and I dont remember the fix exactly. sorry

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
The kernel should not matter. It sounds like the remount fails. Open setupubuntu and execute each step manually on adb to seė whats wrong, tell me and i'll fix. I think what ever goes wrong, is because on my xoom something needed is already done :-( so lets find out what.

Regards

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

chiefsalami

Aug 15, 2007
looks like the zip file in the OP is broken. I've downloaded it many times and cannot extract it. It fails with an error, using both the internal built-in Windows zip utility, and 7-zip. Can you please take a look and maybe repost?

dougvan

Jan 3, 2005
Sounds good. I'll do this tonight when I have a few cycles and give you the results.

Thanks!

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
@chiefsalami
Load it directly to your xoom using firefox or so and use androzip to extract it.

Salpula

Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for the guide! This is pretty awesome. Is there any chance wine will work with this?

Jaywan

Dec 21, 2010
Newark
I'm getting xoom today when the veri store opens. Just wanted to know will Android market apps still work? Will overclocking still work? Is this a Rom or a full OS. Can we do all the things on it a computer can do such as cook roms? And how do we get back to Android? I need these questions answered please someone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

Salpula

Sep 9, 2010
I'm getting xoom today when the veri store opens. Just wanted to know will Android market apps still work? Will overclocking still work? Is this a Rom or a full OS. Can we do all the things on it a computer can do such as cook roms? And how do we get back to Android? I need these questions answered please someone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

It runs next to android. You open a shell in something like better terminal emulator, run the commands startubuntu and shellubuntu and right there you have a shell, hit exit and back to android terminal. runn shellubuntu again and back in linux. Exit and type vncubuntu. Now you have to open a VNC client and connect to localhost:5901 and you are manipulating the linux that runs on the xoom. CLose the vnc client, right back to android.

As far as cooking roms I have no clue.

Jaywan

Dec 21, 2010
Newark
It runs next to android. You open a shell in something like better terminal emulator, run the commands startubuntu and shellubuntu and right there you have a shell, hit exit and back to android terminal. runn shellubuntu again and back in linux. Exit and type vncubuntu. Now you have to open a VNC client and connect to localhost:5901 and you are manipulating the linux that runs on the xoom. CLose the vnc client, right back to android.

As far as cooking roms I have no clue.

I plain to developed for the Xoom but I'm trying to get the hang of it more cause it's just a lil different from other android devices.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

JungleJiujitsu

Sep 12, 2010
Westbury, NY
Ghost, thanks for sharing this, Im looking forward to using it....I've gotten up to typing installubuntu but its been doing "stuff" now for a good 30mins now, is this normal? How long should the install take? What i see a number off different commands and one example is "Err http//ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ maverick/main libxrender1 arme1 1:0.9.6-1" and then underneath it says "Temporary failure resolving 'ports.ubuntu.com'" .... And thats just one example of over 50 different commands now and over 30mins now...

chiefsalami

Aug 15, 2007
That looks like a network error. You need to have a working internet connection when you attempt this.
Ghost, thanks for sharing this, Im looking forward to using it....I've gotten up to typing installubuntu but its been doing "stuff" now for a good 30mins now, is this normal? How long should the install take? What i see a number off different commands and one example is "Err http//ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ maverick/main libxrender1 arme1 1:0.9.6-1" and then underneath it says "Temporary failure resolving 'ports.ubuntu.com'" .... And thats just one example of over 50 different commands now and over 30mins now...

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
Slow connection, long time. It installs the whole desktop so a lot. As long as there is no apt error and the internet connection is ok, its fine.

Shadomastr

May 9, 2010
Can we use a mouse with this? That would be extremely appealing.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
Because of the mouse, ill try. Because still working... i asked to tell me what you think where to go, but noone answered to this question.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Here is the fourth version. Its not upgradeable, so delete the old /sdcard/ubuntu before, except you know what you are doing and are able to fix upcoming problems by upgrading.

[Hints]

• To remove the stupid overlay scrollbars, goto ubuntu shell and type
      Code:
      apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar liboverlay-scrollbar*
      in the next version setupgnome will automatically do that, all which setup gnome befor, do that to get the normal scrollbars.
    • in gnome goto system -> preferences -> appearance. there to the fonts tab, and there to details. use a resolution of 120 dpi, so you it is a bit more touch friendly
    [Requirements]

[step by step]

1. Install the kernel (without you'll not have full functionality, but it'll work)
    2. Extract the ubuntu archive to /sdcard/ubuntu (in adb shell goto sdcard and type: "tar xzf ubuntu_b6.tar.gz")
    3. cd to this dir and type
      Code:
      su
    4. then
      Code:
      sh ubuntu install
    5. you will be asked a few questions, if you have no plan just press always enter. after reboot open a terminal and type
      Code:
      su
    6. then
      Code:
      ubuntu start
    7. optional if you want gnome via vnc
      Code:
      ubuntu setupvnc
      and
      Code:
      ubuntu setupgnome
      this still takes long, you are installing here almost the complete ubuntu via internet. that are a few hundred megabytes of downloading and over one gigabyte of extracting and installing. leave with exit and on android shell type (first time it asks for a passwod)
      Code:
      ubuntu startvnc
      then connect to it via: localhost:5901 using a vnc client and the password you set.

[what you got]

• you start the ubuntu subsystem with ubuntu start (still chroot)
    • with ubuntu setupvnc you install vnc service
    • with ubuntu setupssh you install ssh service
    • with ubuntu setupgnome you install gnome
    • with ubuntu setupkde you install kde (if you do so, you need to modify inside ubuntu /usr/bin/vnc)
    • with ubuntu shell you open an bash session
    • with ubuntu screen you open an persistent bash session
    • with ubuntu startvnc you start the vnc service
    • with startssh inside ubuntu shell you the start the ssh service
    • with ubuntu stopvnc you stop the vnc service
    • with stopssh inside ubuntu shell you the stop the ssh service
    • with ubuntu stop you stop (is rebooting)
    • with ubuntu uninstall you uninstall the script from system(directory /sdcard/ubuntu stays)

in ubuntu you can access:

• android's /dev bound to ubuntu's /dev (fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk0 is working fine(sdcard). don't touch /dev/block/mmcblk1 or you'll kill your android system, maybe your whole xoom :D)
    • android's /system bound to ubuntu's /android/system
    • android's /data bound to ubuntu's /android/data
    • android's /mnt/sdcard bound to ubuntu's /adnroid/sdcard

[working]

• With android-vnc Gnome (bluetooth keyboard and mouse)
    • Firefox 4
    • Chromium Browser
    • LibreOffice
    • Gnome Terminal
    • SSH Daemon
    • "D" key needs to remove the gnome keyboardshortcut uses "D" (just open vnc, goto a textfield and type d then you know what I mean :D)
    • and a lot more
    [not working]

• Ubuntu Software Center (use Synaptic instead, find it in the system menu)

[the tecnical side]

• Ubuntu Natty Narwhal (11.04) from http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu
    • dd for creating an image (no size limit anymore)
    • image formatted with ext2
    • adb push /sdcard/ubuntu/img/ubuntu.img (android shell has gunzip)
    • chroot env
    • tightvnc, gnome-session
    • different kernel features which i'll list here later

[changelog]

Beta 6
    • small changes in the scripts to ensure compatibility with other roms and devices
    • you can choose now between UBuntu 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04 Beta2

[next]

• providing preinstalled images for gnome, kde and xfce
    • app instead script

[ideas]

• weirdx
    • wayland

Have Fun
    Ralph
    but it will take a while until I've time for. First I need to finish a two other projects. I think in about two month there will come the ubuntu app into the market. I'll post here when it is so far.

Regards
    Ralph
    is this dual boot? because im considering getting a xoom and im wondeing if it cna do dual boot into ubuntu and HC

this is not a dual boot environment. this is chroot. think of it as running a second operating system at the same time as android. you can open the android vnc app and it brings up ubuntu. hit home and your back on the android home screen.

the only thing that I would mention for users is that if you do not have a bluetooth keyboard find GOK (gnome onscreen keyboard) or download florence. having the android on screen keyboard overlay vnc is really annoying.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Thank you! Booting again. Now I can work on getting Linux running!

your welcome! Tiamat added the information from this thread to the kernel natively quite some time ago.
    Hi folks,

Actually I'm poking around with the common "How to get ubuntu onto xoom", but with an own img file i created based on the maverick arm minimal archive. Now I'm installing unity, but in weekend I'll try to make the installation, configuration, ... more userfriendly. maybe I'll build a small app doing thinks like starting, stopping, starting a terminal with the chroot and so on. I've no plan at this moment what I'll do exact. But you can say me what you would like to have, so I know if there is a need for something. I think with the next ubuntu using something based on opengl as replacement for x and the promised touch support, it might be relly interesting to have in a chroot env and maybe write something like a wrapper for androids opengl es api. in this context maybe also a port of the android sdk to linux arm would be very interesting.

Regards
    Ralph

I just posted in the general forum about this lol. I would love maverick meerkat on the xoom. I'm sure the software center wouldnt work, but if you could somehow incorporate compiz fuzion, along with all of the standard apps, that would be the sh*t. Good luck man!
    i have it already running, but I'm not getting the f*** unity running, because it needs opengl... a bit bad with tightvncserver

so i decided to jump over and try directly this out:
    http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/natty/ubuntu-natty-alpha3-r0-minimal-armel.tar.xz
    the omap4 is an arm cortex a9 processor, so it should be binary compatible.

wish me luck, if it will work you will have today a howto, otherwise i'll go back to 10.10 and search for another useful desktop.

edit: apt is working fine with maverick

regards