FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

View Poll Results: What, If Any Other Tutorials Would You Like Me To Make?

Tutorial on setting up and using ADB

399 Vote(s)
52.36%
Creating flashable .zips to be used in recovery

429 Vote(s)
56.30%
Whatever I want!

178 Vote(s)
23.36%
Nothing! I make terrible useless guides!

25 Vote(s)
3.28%

[Guide] How To Setup And Use Fastboot

6,853 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,780

By demkantor, Recognized Contributor on 13th May 2013, 06:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd December 2017, 04:10 AM |#511  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 4,258

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyf0330

Pixel 2 XL, thanks for resp

USB debugging is enabled? Not that it should matter. You can still use fastboot without OEM unlocking or USB debugging enabled.
The actual question in your first post is off topic in this thread, so really you shouldn't be discussing it here.
The best place to get help with this would be the Pixel 2XL Q&A forum, which you can find here
And good luck! I have just ordered the 2XL myself less than an hour ago
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xunholyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xunholyx Ad-Free

28th December 2017, 10:47 PM |#512  
Flag Kyiv
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Standalone fastboot
I wanna use fastboot standalone, like it is described here, but cannot do that. Problem under Linux I thoroughly described here, and I was sure it is Linux-specific, but now I am totally embarrassed.
I faced totally the same problem under Windows CMD. I am completely out of ideas!
What am I doing wrong? Am I missing essential step that needed beside unpacking binary folder? In Linux we might have been suspected missing executable flag on file, but Windows doesn't have it. Simply EXE and that's it! Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch.png
Views:	432
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	4373010  
2nd February 2018, 08:09 AM |#513  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Is it possible to backup and restore a different oeminfo partition with this method on Huawei P10 Lite?
I want to change from LX1AC02 to L21AC432 but i don't want to use TWRP.
Although there shows only 1 IMEI at the moment, I know the device has 2 IMEI and i know what they both are (should be) from Huawei.
31st March 2018, 07:14 PM |#514  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm stuck and wondering if I could get some help. I'm trying to use this so I can flash the factory image on my Pixel XL. It has previously been unlocked with a custom rom and root, and I'm trying to install a new rom but I need to flash an updated factory image first.

So the issue is, I'm able to get the device to recognize while it is powered on (even this seems to take some effort tho, doing the kill-server, start-server). I can get it to reboot into bootloader via command prompt, however once I'm there the device is no longer recognized. Flashing the factory image fails on all counts, and I am assuming this is because the device doesn't appear to be connected.

I have checked it in device manager, it appears there. I have also downloaded the latest SDK tools and updated usb drivers. I've tried searching for answers, but I'm not having any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I do get this error a lot, if it helps:
PS C:\AndroidTools> adb devices
List of devices attached
adb server version (31) doesn't match this client (39); killing...
* daemon started successfully
31st March 2018, 08:41 PM |#515  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachara

I'm stuck and wondering if I could get some help. I'm trying to use this so I can flash the factory image on my Pixel XL. It has previously been unlocked with a custom rom and root, and I'm trying to install a new rom but I need to flash an updated factory image first.

So the issue is, I'm able to get the device to recognize while it is powered on (even this seems to take some effort tho, doing the kill-server, start-server). I can get it to reboot into bootloader via command prompt, however once I'm there the device is no longer recognized. Flashing the factory image fails on all counts, and I am assuming this is because the device doesn't appear to be connected.

I have checked it in device manager, it appears there. I have also downloaded the latest SDK tools and updated usb drivers. I've tried searching for answers, but I'm not having any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I do get this error a lot, if it helps:
PS C:\AndroidTools> adb devices
List of devices attached
adb server version (31) doesn't match this client (39); killing...
* daemon started successfully

First, the official guide on google factory images are quite useful. If you have not gone through it yet, try it first.
https://developers.google.com/android/images

Then, I hope you do realize that once it reboots to bootloader, it is out of the reach of adb. You should be using fastboot now. For example, I would use "sudo fastboot devices" to check the connection (by the way, I am using Ubuntu, not windows, so you need to figure out whether you need that sudo in the beginning).

Finally, I suspect that you adb is not really the updated version based on your error message. But that doesn't really matter, because you don't really need adb to get into fastboot mode. You do need the latest fastboot though. You may have the latest SDK, however, it may very well be an issue with how to let the windows know where your latest SDK is, so that it knows to use the updated adb and/or fastboot for the task of flushing the image.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockewan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rockewan Ad-Free
1st April 2018, 08:45 PM |#516  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockewan

Then, I hope you do realize that once it reboots to bootloader, it is out of the reach of adb. You should be using fastboot now. For example, I would use "sudo fastboot devices" to check the connection (by the way, I am using Ubuntu, not windows, so you need to figure out whether you need that sudo in the beginning).

Finally, I suspect that you adb is not really the updated version based on your error message. But that doesn't really matter, because you don't really need adb to get into fastboot mode. You do need the latest fastboot though. You may have the latest SDK, however, it may very well be an issue with how to let the windows know where your latest SDK is, so that it knows to use the updated adb and/or fastboot for the task of flushing the image.

Thank you for your help here. That does make sense, I did notice that when I was in the bootloader, if I ran "fastboot devices" my phone would appear. It was actually that guide you posted the link to which I was trying to follow to flash the factory image.

I did follow the steps listed, going into environment variables and adding the paths to the utilities. Is that what you mean by letting windows know where the latest SDK is? I just downloaded the SDK from the site, so I'm assuming that is the latest version. Sorry I'm a little rusty with this stuff, its generally just stuff I look at when I am setting up a new phone, or in this case sort of got forced into updating my current one.

Also I noticed something else here. When I right click in the directory and select open command prompt, my list is actually this windows power shell. Would that make a difference?
1st April 2018, 09:32 PM |#517  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 4,258

More
Quote:

Thank you for your help here. That does make sense, I did notice that when I was in the bootloader, if I ran "fastboot devices" my phone would appear. It was actually that guide you posted the link to which I was trying to follow to flash the factory image.

I did follow the steps listed, going into environment variables and adding the paths to the utilities. Is that what you mean by letting windows know where the latest SDK is? I just downloaded the SDK from the site, so I'm assuming that is the latest version. Sorry I'm a little rusty with this stuff, its generally just stuff I look at when I am setting up a new phone, or in this case sort of got forced into updating my current one.

Also I noticed something else here. When I right click in the directory and select open command prompt, my list is actually this windows power shell. Would that make a difference?

In power shell, enter cmd as your first command, then it'll act like command prompt after that
The Following User Says Thank You to xunholyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xunholyx Ad-Free
2nd April 2018, 12:26 AM |#518  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xunholyx

In power shell, enter cmd as your first command, then it'll act like command prompt after that

Thanks, I don't get to do this as much anymore, and I forget a lot of these stuff. Again I appreciate the help.

So now I'm still stuck trying to flash the factory image. Not really sure what the appropriate forum would be for it. This is what happens when I try, sorry if its a bit lengthy, any thoughts on what the issue might be? I checked my SDK tools, I'm on 27.0.1, which looks to be the latest version.
C:\AndroidTools>fastboot devices
HT74K0201568 fastboot

C:\AndroidTools>cd c:/newflash

c:\newflash>flash-all.bat
target didn't report max-download-size
sending 'bootloader' (32248 KB)...
FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.000s
rebooting into bootloader...
FAILED (command write failed (No error))
finished. total time: 0.002s
sending 'radio' (57320 KB)...
finished. total time: -0.000s
extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...
extracting boot.img (29 MB) to disk... took 0.156s
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'dtbo.img'
archive does not contain 'dt.img'
archive does not contain 'recovery.img'
extracting system.img (1761 MB) to disk... took 9.388s
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
archive does not contain 'vbmeta.img'
extracting vendor.img (251 MB) to disk... took 1.516s
archive does not contain 'vendor.sig'
wiping userdata...
Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
Can't determine partition type.
--------------------------------------------
getvar:version-bootloader FAILED (command write failed (No error))
finished. total time: 0.016s
Press any key to exit...
3rd April 2018, 04:27 AM |#519  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:

Thanks, I don't get to do this as much anymore, and I forget a lot of these stuff. Again I appreciate the help.

So now I'm still stuck trying to flash the factory image. Not really sure what the appropriate forum would be for it. This is what happens when I try, sorry if its a bit lengthy, any thoughts on what the issue might be? I checked my SDK tools, I'm on 27.0.1, which looks to be the latest version.

C:\AndroidTools>fastboot devices
HT74K0201568 fastboot

C:\AndroidTools>cd c:/newflash

c:\newflash>flash-all.bat
sending 'bootloader' (32248 KB)...
FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.000s
sending 'radio' (57320 KB)...
finished. total time: -0.000s
extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...
extracting boot.img (29 MB) to disk... took 0.156s
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'dtbo.img'
archive does not contain 'dt.img'
archive does not contain 'recovery.img'
extracting system.img (1761 MB) to disk... took 9.388s
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
archive does not contain 'vbmeta.img'
extracting vendor.img (251 MB) to disk... took 1.516s
archive does not contain 'vendor.sig'
wiping userdata...
Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
Can't determine partition type.
--------------------------------------------
getvar:version-bootloader FAILED (command write failed (No error))
finished. total time: 0.016s
Press any key to exit...

I suspect the bootloader is still locked. It may have been unlocked before, but it can be locked again.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockewan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rockewan Ad-Free
5th April 2018, 02:19 AM |#520  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockewan

I suspect the bootloader is still locked. It may have been unlocked before, but it can be locked again.

Yeah I wondered about that as well. I tried the lock and unlock commands but with no result from any of them. I'm going to try again, using a different cable and/or different usb slot to see if that changes anything.

Thanks again for the help, and sorry for the late response. Been swamped with work lately and haven't had as much time to mess with it, but as soon as I get a chance going to see what else I can try with it.

EDIT: Ok so I got a chance to try it some more. I switched to an oem cable, same usb port, unlock command returned "device already unlocked", went to install factory image and it went without a hitch. Feel kinda dumb that it was just the cable, but I guess its why we ask. Thanks again guys for the help.
22nd April 2018, 03:19 AM |#521  

More
Hello, would like to ask is there a way to bypass OEM Lock thru fastboot? Need to enable in developer options but my Hauwei TIT-U02 phone can't be turned on since in bootloop. (recovery mode not working as well)

Hope someone could help, thank you
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)