FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Wifi refresh rate differences between roms/kernels

290 posts
Thanks Meter: 118

By ou812bkewl, Senior Member on 29th May 2012, 12:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
First, a little background info:

I work for an underground utility locating company in southeast Texas. Over time, the requirements of the job cause me to literally drive down every street in my area. Because of this fact, I use Wigle Wifi war-driving app and eventually will get mappings for every access point in my area.

Now for the question:

Wigle Wifi shows the wifi refresh rate at the top of the screen within the app. On stock KH7 and KK6, this rate shows 3500ms. In ICS, the user is allowed to select 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and Auto. Just scanning 2.4 GHz, the refresh rate is cut down to 1000ms, about 1/3 the rate that "Auto" does. In this mode, (depending on the rom I'm running at the time) the rate varies from a low of 900ms (on Shostock ICS 3.0.1 and PhoneBricker) to a high of about 1200ms (CM9, AOKP and Serendipity 9). It always scans at the same rate regardless of OC/UV. Some kernels that have references to wifi in their change logs or feature lists will enable the faster refresh rates on roms that didn't have it before (Fluxi is the only one that comes to mind at the moment, there may be more).

Can anyone tell me what causes the different scan rates between these roms? Wifi references in kernel/rom feature lists don't really point to a cause for the difference. I know that just 300ms difference might seem like I'm splitting hairs, but at near highway speeds, it really makes a big difference in the number of AP's I can catch.

Sorry for the long post. I know we need to keep them short and sweet, but I felt the research I've done so far needed to be included here.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this community, especially the devs!

27th May 2014, 11:42 AM |#2  
Flag Erlangen
Thanks Meter: 5

Donate to Me
More
same problem here... are there any settings I can modify to speed up the wifi refreshing?
27th May 2014, 12:31 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 2,684

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_DC

same problem here... are there any settings I can modify to speed up the wifi refreshing?

The Wi-Fi refresh rate can easily be modified by editing the WiFi scan interval in the build-prop.

The roms the OP mentioned are custom roms built specifically for the i777 with modified scan rates, whereas the AOSP roms were ports/source builds that used generic scan settings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SteveMurphy Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)