1:

-rwxr-xr-x root shell 9744 2011-07-22 23:37 cmd_server_daemon
-rwxr-xr-x root shell 5632 2011-07-22 23:37 cmdclient

2: -rw-rw-r-- root sdcard_rw 26336 2011-08-14 16:11 su

3: acer/vg_gen2/vangogh:3.2/HTJ85B/1311401634:user/release-keys

Reactions: mr pnut

brendan802

Oct 4, 2010
For people having problems here is an easy way to root your iconia a100 tablet.

1st Setup android adb shell here is a link to a guide which is very simple and the link for the a100 adb drivers too:

adb guide http://www.mediafire.com/?dh32rc1hjs6g3t7

a100 drivers http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A79OAR2B

2nd Download the binary version only not the apk version of superuser at the link below. Make sure you download to sdcard not external_sd and its in the root of the sd. SD is considered the 8gb of internal memory. You cant copy from external_sd to internal sd I received operation failed when trying to copy:

http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip

3rd Make certain usb debugging is enabled under application settings. Start adb as the guides shows. Make sure your device is installed properly and run adb shell. Once you get the "$" sign run the commands bellow minus the quotation marks:

"/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`' "

"/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`' "

"/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`' "

4th check system/xbin/ for su. If su is present then install superuser.apk from the market. Test with titanium backup and dont forget to install busybox too.

ADB Guide written by VanillaTbone of XDA.The commands are thanks to sc2k and sabliss also of XDA. Thanks guys for the commands

Last edited:
Reactions: vtnate

vtnate

Aug 15, 2011
Enjoying my new Acer a100... but have tried all day to get Netflix to work with no luck. Keep us posted on all the developments as more people get their hands on this little tab and tweak it so that Netflix will work.
Thanks.

guags99

Apr 6, 2008
I was able to use these instructions right on my tab. No need for ADB from PC. just ran them right from Terminal. THANKS!

godsfilth

Mar 31, 2009
so i rooted just fine, thanks for the guide, does anyone have a working recovery yet, im tempted to try one from the a500 but have a feeling ill just break something beyond my ability to fix

johnston21

Jan 31, 2008
I couldn't wait to find the 16Gb version (in Canada), so I went to Wal-Mart (while in the US), & got the 8Gb version + the $50 free gift card which I used towards a 16Gb micro-card + a cheap 7" sleeve.

Will pass it on to my wife whenever I find the 16Gb version.

...going to root next. :)

newb4r9o

Aug 18, 2011
Heh... I'd stick with the 8GB version until the tegra-3 32GB version comes out; say two months!?

TheTomas

Mar 17, 2010
I've followed these by inputting (copy/paste) these commands on the a100 itself in a terminal emulator, but have had no success. The commands cause no obvious response when entered into the terminal, but when I checked xbin for su, it's there. I've installed the superuser apk, but busybox install fails due to lack of root. Repeating the process doesn't change anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any other methods I can try?

brendan802

Oct 4, 2010
thetomas: I'd try using the PC method I have posted. I myself had the same problem until I did it through my desktop with adb. Give it a shot its worth a try

TheTomas

Mar 17, 2010
Now I'm using ADB to send these commands, but adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`' returns "The system cannot find the path specified." The other commands in the process return no obvious reaction. What am I doing wrong?

edit:

Wait, I got it! instead of typing adb shell at the beginning of each command, I entered a shell session (got the $ prompt in the windows cmd window) and entered the commands there. There was no obvious success, but when I ran buzybox installer this time, it worked.

One thing to note. I got an error trying to enter the adb shell session untill I woke the tablet from sleep. It might need to be awake to adb.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

newb4r9o

Aug 18, 2011
newbie's rooting a100 from linux desktop

Am a newb here; got my first android yesterday (Walmart special). I modified the first half of brendan802's instructions slightly;THANK YOU brendan802!

(I'm new to these forums, and am not allowed to post links, so you need to fix them by putting http followed by :// in front) ( :) )

Overview: adk (android development kit) opens a remote linux shell in the a100 via USB connection.
Using adk, you'll remount the a100 system directory - allowing it to be written to - and then you'll copy in the standard linux "su"
You'll then install an "apk" which is an icon on the a100 screen. It looks for and links to su; clicking it activates superuser.

Files: You'll need the adk and su on your desktop. Optionally get the .pdf file mentioned by brendan802. Don't get the windows file or driver. Later you'll get the apk using the a100 via market - as described by brendan802.

Enable USB debugging on the a100. If unsure, download and review the .pdf.

Connect your a100 via USB to the desktop.

run lsusb to assure that the device was found. e.g.

Bus 008 Device 014: ID 0502:3348 Acer, Inc.

run lshw, look for the following, and make sure it DOES NOT say unclaimed:
*-usb:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Generic USB device
product: ACER Iconia Tab A100
vendor: ACER ......etc.

1. Skim this page (put http followed by :// in front of it (sigh) ): esausilva.com/2010/05/13/setting-up-adbusb-drivers-for-android-devices-in-linux-ubuntu

(I did not have to fool with udev)

2. Download the adk package (referred to on the step 1 page):

wget esausilva.com/misc/android/platform-tools-linux.tar.gz

Untar it. In the platform-tools directory is the adk executable.

Download the su executable:

wget downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip

(Download this file to your platform-tools directory on your desktop. At this point unzip it to place the "su" or bin/su into the platform-tools directory)

3. "adk devices" This'll start the daemon and locate your a100. If it doesn't list anything, your USB hotplug may have failed and you may need to reboot (make sure usb debugging is enabled)

4. "adk shell" and do an "ls" to assure you can connect, and take a look at the a100.

6. Run the FIRST of Brendan802's three commands; quote follows:

3rd Make certain usb debugging is enabled under application settings. Start adb as the guides shows. Make sure your device is installed properly and run adb shell. Once you get the "$" sign run the commands bellow minus the quotation marks:

"/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`' "

(This first command makes the a100 files "write-able" - necessary for the following):

7. "exit" the shell

8. "./adb push su /sdcard/su" (this may have to be "./adb push /bin/su /sdcard/su" if you left su in bin :) )

This moves a copy of the unzipped su to the /sdcard directory.

9. Start the shell; proceed with the rest of brendan802's directions, resuming with the second of the three shell commands.

HTH

noidea`

Mar 6, 2010
Worked for me. I did that commands in the terminal and it worker. Also did the Netflix patch and it works. Thanks! Anyone know anything about a cifs module for nfs (network file system)?

TheTomas

Mar 17, 2010
I'm having a different problem now. When selecting an individual contact from my contacts list, the screen crashes back to the launcher with no error. I've cleared the cache in the contacts app but it doesn't help. There's quite a few things I've done after root and the issues with this problem is that it could have started at any point and I would not have noticed it until I tried to check a contact. I've run ad free, I've installed the teather fix from WUG (droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/30948-wugpacked-gb-tether-patch-all-one-zips.html) (tethering works fine), I installed a deodexed system and I froze quite a few apps with titanium, so there's quite a few possible causes. In previous versions I've always renamed .apks to .bak manually to remove bloat, but this time I used titanium as recommended by many people. Perhaps I got a little freeze happy or tagged something I wasn't supposed to, but looking at my list of frozen apps, I really can't see what could have possibly caused this problem. It's all stuff I've disabled before.

I hate to think I got a bad deodexer file, especially since I can't find the thread I got it from, but it came from (mediafire.com/?eee7wczz992uy69) and I've seen links to it in other threads. No one else has reported any problems that I've seen.

I tried to include a log in this post, but I the system kept giving me "not permitted to post outside links in their messages" error.

Thank you for all the help.

BIG EDIT: With the help of a few other forums I've fixed my problems and I'm here to report that freezing "Yahoo! Mail Authenticator 2.3.3" in titanium was the cause of my problem. After defrosting, the issue disappeared. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Does this root give USB host mode?

No, there are no custom ROMs for the A100 yet. Acer has not said how or if they will provide USB host mode for the A100. I am betting you will need a dock or a special adaptor cable that attached to the 40 pin docking port connector on the A100. It's possible that the micro usb could support it , but I think that is unlikely due to the A100 being very close to A500 hardware.

newb4r9o

Aug 18, 2011
"Encrypt tablet" on rooted A100?

1. Anyone successfully used the encryption feature? Have heard that it doesn't work on some devices.

2. Is encryption/decryption smooth and reliable?

3. IF you have rooted your A100, will adk have a passphrase option to see things in plaintext (or will you have to decrypt to use adk)?

TIA

((RayDar))

Aug 27, 2009
No, there are no custom ROMs for the A100 yet. Acer has not said how or if they will provide USB host mode for the A100. I am betting you will need a dock or a special adaptor cable that attached to the 40 pin docking port connector on the A100. It's possible that the micro usb could support it , but I think that is unlikely due to the A100 being very close to A500 hardware.

Just to set the record straight, USB Host mode has been achieved on the A500. All that is needed is a few kernel modules and some configuration adjustments (to load and setup those modules).

Therefore, it is likely that we will see USB Host mode on the A100 -- using the micro-USB connector. See this post: Lightspeed 1.0.1. The 3G support they talk about is for an external modem which requires USB Host. Also, there is This Video which shows USB Host mode on an A500.

Last edited:

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Sorry to set you straight, but the A500 came with USB host mode as a stock feature because it has a separate full size USB port for host. No custom ROM or root required. The A100 does not have that hardware port & yes I actually own both a A500 and A100. Maybe you meant the 3g dongle support. That is not "host" but a specific piece of hardware that plugs into the host port. The host port off the shelf supports external hardrives, mouse, keyboard etc.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The A100 ships with acer/vg_gen2/vangogh:3.2/HTJ85B/1311401634:user/release-keys . Its copy of /system/bin/vold includes a fix for GingerBreak, so that exploit won't work.

I also tried the iconiaroot-1.3.apk but it did not work either. Logcat says 'E/CMD_SERVER( 102): cmd_server: invalid argument !'. They apparently "fixed" the bug by scanning the input command for semicolons. But you can still use backticks to inject commands!

So until sc2k releases a new iconiaroot-1.4.apk, this should work:

Steps to get root (LINUX VERSION):
    0. put your favorite su binary in /mnt/sdcard/su
    1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`mount -o remount,rw /system\`'
    2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su\`'
    3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su\`'

Steps to get root (WINDOWS VERSION, just the same minus the backslashes):
    0. put your favorite su binary in /mnt/sdcard/su
    1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'
    2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'
    3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Note that this just gives you a working "su". Installing SuperUser.apk or whatever frontend you like is left as an exercise to the reader.
    I've found the easiest way to get root is by doing the following:

From your a100's browser download the copy of su below:

http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed.zip

Next, use a file manager (like astra or similar) to extract the su file and copy it to the root of your external sdcard. (/mnt/sdcard)

Install a terminal emulator from the market.

Open the terminal emulator and copy / paste the following into it:

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

ls /system/xbin/su

If the last command says something about no such file, you've done something wrong. Check to see that the su file itself is in /mnt/sdcard (you can type this in the terminal emulator to check:

ls /mnt/sdcard/su

if that comes back no such file.. then you didn't copy the su file to the right place.

If the last command shows /system/xbin/su then you're all set, install superuser.apk from the market. Install titanium backup and see if it prompts for superuser wheb you launch it. If that works install busybox.

Hope this helps!

The su copy commands are thanks to sc2k and sabliss also of XDA. Good luck!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
    First of all, I'm new to this community :)

Second of all, I've asked Devs from other communities if they could lend us a hand and a couple of them have agreed. I will try working with them in an attempt to contribute something to this community. Just be patient, as it may take some time tho.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
    I picked up a $189 Acer Iconia A100 on Black Friday from Best Buy and wanted to root it moments after I got home with it. I found a site that offered the instructions with kudo's to XDA at the bottom of the article. I came here imediately and searched for the root procedure. I found some complex stuff using ADB which is fine (I used ADB to root my phone last year) but I wanted something a bit quicker and easier so Google brought me to: http://dcarico.com/articles/android-apps/1016-acer-iconia-a100-root-instructions.html

I can confirm that I did this without ADB or a Laptop/desktop computer. He uses ES File Explorer and Android Terminal Emulator.
    Basically, you'll need to download the su.zip he provides in the article, unzip the su.zip into the /mnt/sdcard directory, copy and paste 3 lines into the Terminal Emulator and then you are good to go. I downloaded Superuser from the Android Market and installed and I also installed busybox, Titanium Backup, etc. I hope this helps any of you new Acer Iconia A100 users. :D

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

How do I get the superuser binary onto the root of the internal sd card?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Download it to the device from whatever website you found it on and the use a file manager Like ES File Manager to extract the zip to the directory you want.
    I will probably release a new version of iconiaroot tonight.